I love the ratbastards! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Ratbastards » I love the ratbastards! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Elad Haber
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 07:55 pm:   

and i miss them.

hi guys. :-)

-e

Christopher Barzak
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 12:15 am:   

Hey Elad!

I owe you a phone call, bro. I'll try tomorrow.

C

Kristin Livdahl
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 08:27 pm:   

Elad -

I miss you, too! Is there any chance on us being in the same place anytime in the next two years?! How's school? Are getting any writing done? Like Chris, I'm feeling the need to talk to you on the phone soon, too.

Love,

Kristin

alan
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 08:36 am:   

Elad,

We'll see you at Wiscon, right? Take care, man.

Alan

barth
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 10:42 am:   

elad, you're nothing but a ratbastard in my book...

ARE you coming to wiscon???

b

Elad
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 06:39 pm:   

to answer, Probably. maybe. uh, perhaps ?

i'm on a shoe-string budget and there's just SO many cd's I want. and shows to go to !

being 23 is hard.

:-)

-E

Kristin Livdahl
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 12:03 pm:   

Elad, please don't tell me that you'd choose those things over us. :-(

Kristin

Elad
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 12:51 am:   

music has control over me like no other force (except maybe Women). i am helpless in front of it.

i'm weak. seriously. :-(

-E

Maureen McHugh
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 04:34 pm:   

Hey, Ratbastards! Are your ears burning? Jim Kelly and I are at Clarion East and you guys keep getting mentioned. A lot!

The Charly Finley came up for two days and mentioned you somemore.

Christopher Barzak
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 05:03 pm:   

Heya Maureen,

Little birds have been whispering in my ear about all the talking at Clarion. Hope this year's class is having fun and writing good. Let's get together next month sometime, after you've settled down from all the workshop traveling.

Chris

barth
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 09:22 am:   

what's the mood at clarion, maureen, with this potentially being the last year at MSU?

Maureen McHugh
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:03 am:   

Barth,

We are in our own little world, and none of that seems to have impacted the group at all. When you're up to your ass in alligators...

Chris,

You're on.

barth
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 06:00 am:   

*nostalgic sigh*...."up to my ass in alligators."

good times....

Matthew Cheney
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 01:58 pm:   

So I don't mean to break into a personal party here, but I just wanted to say how impressed I am with the work in the two chapbooks which I received today. I've already read half the stories in each, and have decided to read the rest a little bit more slowly, so I can savor it all until you publish The Rat Bastards 800-Page Behemoth of a Dozois-Like Anthology.

I haven't the slightest idea where I first heard about y'all, but I've been friends with Jim Kelly for eons, and tend to lurk around Jeff VanderMeer's discussion boards a lot.

Love you all.

barth
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 02:40 pm:   

oh man, PLEASE break into the party when you feel the urge to post messages like that one, matthew! another chapbook is on the horizon (or just beyond), so you'll just have to savor these in the meanwhile.

good of you to drop by and thanks for sharing the love!

Christopher Barzak
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 07:10 pm:   

Hey Matthew,

I'm glad you liked the chapbooks, and possibly we'll publish an 800 page Dozois-like Behemoth of an anthology someday, and then you won't have to wait around year after year for the chapbooks. We're gearing up to figure out what we'll be publishing next year, but you can bet it'll be as good and hopefully better than the first two.

Take care,
Christopher

Matthew Cheney
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 10:49 pm:   

So how did y'all find each other (I know the Clarion connection for the first book, but where did you find people for the second?) I imagine a grand Rat Bastards Initiation Ceremony in the wilds of some suburban backyard, with flaming citronella candles and people wearing Nixon masks, the soundtrack to "Eyes Wide Shut" blaring its three notes in the background while a Grand High Poohbah intones pig latin renditions of lines from a Hal Clement novel retranslated into English from Icelandic. Or am I being too speculative?

And Christopher -- yours was the first story I read, the one which made me decide to keep reading because I was so impressed with the quality. Hope that makes your day a bright one. You all now have a die-hard fan in New Hampshire, which must be some sort of distinction.

Cheers,
Matt

Nick Mamatas
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 11:22 pm:   

I imagine a grand Rat Bastards Initiation Ceremony in the wilds of some suburban backyard, with flaming citronella candles and people wearing Nixon masks, the soundtrack to "Eyes Wide Shut" blaring its three notes in the background while a Grand High Poohbah intones pig latin renditions of lines from a Hal Clement novel retranslated into English from Icelandic. Or am I being too speculative?

No, that's it.

Christopher Barzak
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 11:24 am:   

Matt,

For the second chapbook, we all got to invite several writers whose work we admired to submit stories. Then, once all the stories were received, we read through them and discussed and argued over merits and how some of them could work together, talking back and forth to each other so to speak, and selected the stories for the second chapbook that way.

Most of the writers whe asked to submit were up and comers, or people who have been writing and publishing quietly for a while, who we wanted to highlight if possible. Some of the people we asked hadn't published anything yet, but we'd seen their work at some juncture of time and space (a workshop, etc.) and loved it.

And thank you for the great compliment to the story, Matt. It definitely brightens my day.

Christopher

barth
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 07:32 am:   

the one exception to our method was nick mamatas. we conjured him.

Christopher Barzak
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 08:48 am:   

from a drop of blood and a snowflake

Haddayr Copley-Woods
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 12:53 pm:   

But after they invited us to submit and looked over our work, we did the citronella Nixon-mask thing.

JV
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 10:56 am:   

Dear Rat Bastards:

I really enjoyed meeting three of you in Minneapolis this past week. (I can vouch for the fact that the RBs I met were neither rats nor bastards.)

JeffV

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 01:56 pm:   

Ummm, did you see their papers? Are you sure they all were . . . legitimate?

That Barth guy always struck me as someone who knew a little _too_ much about West Bend. Nobody who was actually from West Bend would know all that, nor care too.

JV
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 01:58 pm:   

Barth struck me as a dangerous guy, I must say. He had this buck knife on him that he kept pulling out and using to pare his fingernails. Sometimes he'd just stare at you and say something like, "The bruised rabbits are the best rabbits." Then he'd let out this goddawful howl of a laugh and follow it up with monkey noises. Quite delightful otherwise, however. I did get the sense from his general aura that a smart editor would snatch up his novel immediately.

JeffV

Alan
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 03:28 pm:   

Disclaimer: No rabbits were harmed in the making of this post.

Jeff, it was good to see you too, and I hope you had fun in Minneapolis. Hope your clime at this point is much sunnier than ours. (It's certainly warmer).

My head is healing fine, btw. I'm not sure if the masonry I ran into has been repaired yet. That...was not one of my finest moments.

barth
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 03:42 pm:   

(smooooooooth, vandermeer.....)

-

yes, it was great hanging out with you and ann, jeff. that convo at the brew pub still has my gears turning. come back this weekend so i can take some notes.

hope your investigation at The Museum of Questionable Medical Devices was profitable. harmless, that is. i mean i hope you didn't harm anyone. er. i mean, i hope you found what you were looking for. um.

has anyone seen ann since JV came back from minneapolis?

JV
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 09:27 am:   

Yeah, not too smooth, was that? Oh well.

I'm still thinking about what we were talking about, too.

It was harmless, the trip.

Alan--I think it was one of your finest moments, in that your grace following the incident was admirable. Me, I was in such a fog of cold-related symptoms, I was just worrying about sound intelligible. A good, sharp crack to the forehead probably would have helped me.

I had great fun in Minneapolis, in no small part due to the Rat Bastards.

Jeff

barth
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 09:53 am:   

what happened to poor alan's gourd?

Alan
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 07:58 am:   

The St. Paul library hit me with one of its four cornered columns--I mean, er, I ran into a four cornered column. A neat trick. But all is well.

You just missed our wonderful snowfall too, Jeff.

It's too bad that the questionable medical devices in the science museum weren't more...dodgy and questionable.

barth
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 09:10 am:   

you mean you didn't take jeff to the adjacent Museum of Capricious Medicine and Irresponsible Practitioners?

well, next time, then.

Matthew Cheney
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 11:23 pm:   

Hello Bastards and bastardizers,

Just wanted you to know I've posted a review of y'all here. It says nice things. (Except about Analog, but I don't see any bastards hanging out in that den of iniquity, so...)

Cheers,
Matt Cheney

barth freak #7
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 01:59 pm:   

wow. wow. thanks, matt! glad you like the chapbooks, and i hereby bestow upon you the heraldry of the Order of Rodentia for your brave reviewing.

as for perceived conservativism in ratbastard editorial policy, all i can say is that i think both of our chapbooks successfully gather a "community of freaks" (as alan puts it), which is definitely a main goal of our little publishing collective.

again, thanks for your awesome review and welcome to becoming one of us. ("one of us....one of us.....one of us......")

Christopher Barzak
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 03:25 pm:   

hey thanks, matt! i love your review, and not just cause it says nice things about us either.
;)

can't wait to widen and deepen the freak pool with the next chapbook, too.

Chris

Haddayr
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 03:00 pm:   

Thanks, Matt! I obviously loved your review, too. It made me very happy and I printed it and put it up on my refrigerator like a report card.

One quibble: I actually enjoyed the first book even more than the second. But that's opinion, of course.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration