PHP Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Ratbastards » PHP « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan DeNiro
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 11:09 am:   

I'm really thinking of moving my Taverner's Koans website over a PHP system, rather than straight html. The main reason is to integrate one login with the critique workshop and the exercises, along with also perhaps personal poetry diaries and commenting capabilities. I know almost nothing about how to go about this, however. Does anyone have any recommendations about PHP systems that are easy to install and maintain? Anyone with php skillz want to help out the #5 poetry resource site in the world? :-)

CA McGee
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 08:49 am:   

I use and am a big advocate of WordPress, which is PHP and MySQL-based, but based on the things you outlined, I don't think it's extensive enough for your purposes. It's certainly not as robust as many of the portal systems out there, like XOOPS, PHPNuke, etc., which are generally designed for larger sites, particularly those that draw on several sources/contributors.

Open Source CMS has a lot of good information and will let you test drive various systems to get an idea of features and usability. Not all of them are PHP-based, though. Also, the CMS Matrix is good for head-to-head comparisons.

My best advice would be to try installing a couple on a local server and playing around with them. None of them will be exactly what you need, so you have to decide either to have one that's too big, and just use a small portion of it, or one that might be stretched a little by your needs. In either case, you're probably going to need to learn a little bit of PHP in order to get it to do what you want, unless you can track down a PHP sugar daddy. I'd volunteer, but my skills are fairly pedestrian.

Good luck.

Alan
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 09:10 am:   

Thanks so much, CA. This gives me a lot of great ideas. I'll have to pick up a php book to get a smattering of knowledge regarding it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration