Barth3 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Ratbastards » Barth3 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

barth
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 04:08 am:   

starting a new thread.

Kevin
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 03:07 pm:   

Is this the one where you fight Mr. T?

barth
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 07:51 am:   

no, this is the ewok one.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 09:30 am:   

Aww crap, I thought this was where we searched for Spock...or DeNiro, or somebody.

JK

Kevin
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 12:10 am:   

We found him already. He was wanted dead or alive, you know.

----

Barth, you are just a fountain of shocking and depressing information. It's a wonder I keep you as a friend.

But thanks for removing my blinders and forciing me to take a good look around once in a while.

barth
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 04:46 am:   

sorry for the shocking depression-fountain that is my blog, kevin. maybe i need a week of cute baby anecdotes to counter-balance.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 07:53 am:   

Yes please, Barth. I live for your baby anecdotes. (Interrupted by need to clean up my own baby anecdote. How can a thirteen-pound infant who can't yet crawl make such a mess?) :-)

barth
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 09:56 am:   

the motto of all writer/parents:

let that diaper
get a little riper!

Theodora Goss
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 12:28 pm:   

Ah, no, the other kind of mess. The spitting up on herself and the play rug and her poor long-suffering wooden gnome (the one who is regularly hit on the head) kind.

Oh, the joys of the writer/parent . . .

barth
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 01:29 pm:   

ahh. i know that kind well.

have you seen the projectile knock-a-porcupine-off-a-post-at-thirty-paces kind yet??

good times....

Kevin
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 06:37 pm:   

There's gotta be a niche for baby puke gnome stories.

Kevin
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 06:41 pm:   

Oh and barth, I love your blog, man. Whether it's baby stories, abused children, Reagan bashing, or mangos. Bring on the joy. Bring on the pain. Bring on the fruit.

Kevin
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 05:55 am:   

Next the USDA will be telling us that all foods are "All-Natural", because they're made of molecules, which of course come from nature.

After that kiss "Organic" goodbye, since even chemical pesticides and growth hormone are "All Natural". ;)

barth
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 07:29 am:   

think of it: a judge listened to that bozo argument and was convinced.

corruption or stupidity? you make the call.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 09:42 am:   

Aw man. I'm not shaving for the next few years.

Heather Shaw
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 10:14 am:   

Yay! I no longer fear loading your comments page!

I love all the entries -- the mix keeps me from getting too depressed or too biological-clock-ticking.

Write me mango erotica for fishnetmag.com :-)! Please?

barth
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 06:56 pm:   

i know. i let the other thread get too fat. (you should see my junk drawer...eek!)

anyway...mangor erotica? that's redundant, in my book - but all right, if i must.

i assume you want mangorotica about an anthropomorphized tropical fruit getting it on? "dear sirs, i'm a single straight mango, and i never thought i'd be writing your magazine, but the other night..."

Eric Marin
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 01:12 am:   

Happy anniversary, Barth! I hope you had a great picnic.

barth
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 05:48 am:   

thanks, eric. it rocked! :-)

Eric Marin
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 08:59 am:   

I'm glad to hear that, Barth! The four year anniversary of my marriage is coming up in October. Very cool. :-)

Celia
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 12:04 pm:   

it's our fourth wedding anniversary today. what a trip, eh? and our first with a third, if you follow me.

took me a second... :-) Happy Aniversary!

barth
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:34 pm:   

thanks, celia! amazing how the kid makes everything, even an anniversary, a little more exciting.

~

very cool, indeed, eric! did you have a halloween wedding??

Heather Shaw
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 03:00 pm:   

Happy Anniversary!!

barth
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 06:02 pm:   

muchas gracias, amiga!

Eric Marin
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 02:34 am:   

No, we had our wedding a few days before Halloween. That was a holiday we never thought of as an option for our union. It's an amusing idea, though.

barth
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 05:41 am:   

i've gone to a couple halloween weddings, actually. very ironic couples with a healthy sense of the dark side. that, or the whole harvest theme.

october weddings must be popular in texas, since summer weddings are pretty much out - unless folks *want* to sweat-soak their tuxes.

Eric Marin
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 07:33 pm:   

As you probably remember, even October can be unbearably hot in Austin. We had reasonable temperatures but lots rain that day, even though we were in the midst of a drought. It did stop raining just long enough for the outdoor ceremony, though.

barth
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 06:14 am:   

all i remember about october in texas is that everything turned beige and died. :-)

when i moved to austin, it was in the middle of a record heat snap - 30 or 40 days over 100 degrees. like living on venus. so bizarre how i learned to be soothed by a 98 degree day.

Deborah
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:39 pm:   

Barth, that lullaby list was sweet...My son, Nicholas, liked Arc of the Diver (the Steve Winwood song) and Jerusalem (my version was a bit like Billy Bragg). Love those baby stories...keep 'em coming.

barth
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 07:49 pm:   

cool, deborah. steve winwood eh? hrm...all i know is "low spark of high-heeled boys."

for isaiah, obi-wan's theme will eventually outpace the star-spangled banner. which is fine, i like humming the tune, but now both lisa and i have a curious yen for "star wars" that won't quit.

Kristin
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:04 am:   

I've heard the horror stories about chicken processing. Some of the guys who stay in the shelter have worked in various meat processing plants and say the chicken places are the worst. I had a friend in college who worked in a Faribault, MN area chicken processing plant one summer and wouldn't touch chicken ever again after that. I remember driving by the turkey barns on the way home from college in Iowa and seeing them crammed in, only seeing sunlight when they opened the sides to prevent the barn from overheating. Very sad.

Heather Shaw
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:50 am:   

Thank you for not going into detail -- I've only recently begun eating chicken (after 12 years) and am still in the "I can't look at it raw, you cook it for me" stage.

barth
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 08:34 pm:   

kristin apparently knows details that i don't. like i said, i witnessed the disney version of what eventually appears in KFC buckets.

i found out later that the incidence of drug abuse, alcoholism, and suicide among workers who actually do the awful deed in slaughterhouses is pretty damn high. i wonder if somehow homelessness fits into that, too...wouldn't surprise me.

Kevin
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 10:59 am:   

Barth, keep your eyes peeled on the light rail to see how handicapped accessible it is, will you please? I'm always curious about the accessibility of new public transit.

Deborah
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 07:44 pm:   

Thanks for the recs in your blog about unusual surf music (and frankly, in my mind, "Minnesota surf" would have to be as unusual as it gets)...that's my first choice for writing music and it's always good to learn about new practitioners.

barth
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 10:44 am:   

kevin, will do. it was too crowded on saturday for bikes, let alone wheelchairs, so i'll have to check it once the crowds diminish.

deborah, i particularly like "high plains marinara" on big surf action heroes (the MN surf band). makes writing feel like a chase scene.

i'd love to know more about the origin of surf. to me, it's a totally texas sound. how did it sprout up in southern cal? (let alone minneapolis.)

Trent
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 05:03 pm:   

I missed the bold writing on your blog to leave you a message here.

I also missed that your novel is about tarot--the Polyphony bio said medical: different novels? Or is it a medical thriller about tarot-reading brain surgeons?

Happy anniversary 12 days late! (though I had a better excuse for missing that one: no computer, but see, this way you get to celebrate your anniversary two weeks afterwards.)

TTFN,

Celia
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 09:55 am:   

holds up his hands, ready to fend off the tickling. which is very wise on his part...

baby torturer!

barth
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 02:52 pm:   

trent,

thanks for the well wishes, late or no!

my completed novel is called The Patron Saint of Plagues (that's the medical one) and the book i'm working on now is called The Magician and the Fool.

tarot-reading brain surgeons? nice! maybe the third novel should be a co-sequel of the earlier two...

~b.
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 02:54 pm:   

celia - i'm not a baby torturer. i'm a fully mature torturer.

Kevin
Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 11:27 am:   

I just stopped by the Speculative Literature Foundation's page to see if they'd announced the 2003 Fountain Award results, and I saw you received an honorable mention. Congrats, man!

~b.
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 05:50 am:   

thank you, kevin. yeah, i found out this morning in an email from barzak. very surprising!

HeyTrey
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 10:29 am:   

Congrats on the honorable mention.

And no, you're not the only one who liked Don Juan De Marco.

Heather Shaw
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 11:05 am:   

Congrats on the honorable mention! Awesome!

Oh, and I'm a "WECL--Wacky Emotional Constructive Leader" (your second result) as well.

barth
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 02:29 pm:   

most excellent, don trey. and thanks for the kind words.

and thank you too heather! such strange grammatical constructions in those personality types, like something from "wine spectator." heather shaw is a bold, little pinot: wacky, yet emotional, with a hint of constructiveness.

Celia
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 07:28 pm:   

My first real job was working a produce stand one day a week (when our farmer's market was open). It was 1990 or so--Wow. That's basically half of my life ago. Sorry. back to the story--It was a summer where it didn't rain from probably mid-june to august--nothing but straight sunshine. And since the fruit was all irrigated, they rocked, even while everything else died.

I think that year basically spoiled me for fruits. I mean, sure, I eat fruit. I may even like it. but it can't compare to that year...it was like...it was sunshine. I'd get to snack on it all day, and then when they settled up with me at the end of the day, the woman would say, 'well, what does your family need," and I'd get a couple quarts of cherries--I have never found any that truly compared. I mean, maybe one or two in a bag, but these were perfect.--or a bag of plums or nectarines or apricots, and apples once they came ripe, and oh, the cider that year. (It's probably very original sin of me, but it was also the first summer I had a crush on someone, a college boy (and thus *vastly* older than me) who worked the stand as well.)

The only fruit I can't eat are peaches, and that's their fault too--amish families would come buy 10 bushels of peaches for canning or whatever, and I'd have to shift 20 boxes into the half bushel baskets and end up with that damnable fuzz all over my hands like itching powder, and oh, then my nose would need to be scratched....*shudder*.

And speaking of fruit and religious experiences, one of the boys in the house here had frozen chocolate covered banana chunks the other day. It was like watching someone have a vision of god. He had to sit down. I can make his eyes light up just by saying "chocolate covered banana," and I often do, as I'm evil like that. He'll even check the freezer now and then, in case the chocolate covered banana fairy visits in the night. (in this house, stranger things have happened.)

Heather Shaw
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 08:57 pm:   

Heh, I like that wine description, Barth!

So, last Saturday I discovered the farmer's market that's only 20 minutes from where we live. I wandered around, tasting what samples were offered. I had thought I was done -- I had peaches, sweet corn and strawberries -- when I was offered what looked like a sliver of peach. I put it in my mouth and dipped a bit as my knees went weak with fruit lust. A woman next to me who had also just tasted that fruit put her hand on my shoulder to steady herself. "What is it?" I managed to gasp.

Nectarine.

We scampered over to where they rested and I picked out just one to bring home with me. I asked the man behind the counter how much and he shrugged and said, "gimme a quarter for that".

"A quarter? A quarter for a small globe of nirvana!" I said, handing him the coin.

No, I have no idea why I only bought one. The nearest I can figure is that I have a bad habit sometimes of letting extra fruit go bad because I forget I have it, and it would have been sacriledge to do that to those nectarines....

Ahhh.

barth
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 04:49 am:   

celia, heather - thank you for testifying in the church of infinite fruit wonder!

i think part of the fruit epiphany is that, for me anyway, i grew up eating processed garbage. the idea that a simple piece of ripe fruit could blow me away still blows me away.

Karen
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 03:27 pm:   

I've had very few religious fruit experiences in my life but the holiest of them was the Peach. Years ago I was driving up route somethingorother in Georgia, and pulled over to buy a couple of peaches from a little roadside stand. It was half an hour down the road when I took the first bite, and I nearly turned the car around because OH MY GOD the luscious wonder of that peach. It completed me. It made me want to be a better woman. It had me at "chomp".

I've never eaten any peach as good, before or since. Last week I was talking with a friend from Georgia. When I told her this she nodded proudly and said "...and you never will again." Well hell. What a terrible thing, to have hit my peach peak so early in life. What am I supposed to live for now, kohlrabi?

Karen
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 03:28 pm:   

PS. Congratulations on the Fountain Award honorable mention!

~b.
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 06:25 pm:   

that georgia peach does sound archetypal, first and last, but there are other fruits in the fridge, karen. been up to door county for cherries? or how about a jersey mac from southwest WI?

i hear there's a company that makes crisps from door county cherries and michigan peaches. maybe you should hunt em down one of these days for the full on great lakes fruitapalooza.

anything but kohlrabi, for god's sake...!

~b
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 06:25 pm:   

ps - and thank *you* for your hard work making the fountain award happen, karen!

Christopher Barzak
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 11:01 pm:   

I am a notoriously unimpressed fruit eater. It's just a thing. I don't know where I get it. Everyone in my family loves fruit, but not me. I mean, I eat it and am like, yep, that's fruit. But so help me, I was at a party last month and the hostess had a tray of fresh fruit out, and I ate this gigantic strawberry, which everyone had been proclaiming over, so I was like, yeah strawberries, whatever, and so I ate it and man I was a believer after that one. That was the best damned strawberry I ever did eat. Words cannot describe how sweet.

I also did have a semi-religious experience with Rainier Cherries when I lived in Michigan. Is that the right kind? Something like that.

~b
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 07:28 am:   

yellow and red rainier cherries? you're a lucky man to have that moment of divine combustion with rainiers. queen ann (yellow) cherries are good too, but rainiers are the bling.

michigan has great fruit. it's the storied humidity that we all grew to hate while attending clarion. what wilts writers, fattens fruit.

Karen
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 02:01 pm:   

I'm still recovering from California's seasons-lite and I don't know fruit schedules anyway. Is this cherry season now?

Barzak, I can so hear you saying Yep, that's fruit.

barth
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 06:40 pm:   

cherry season in door county is almost upon you. i think i've picked cherries in late july, maybe earlier. there must be a cheezhead cherry-czar with a site full of seasonal info - cherries are one of the top three cash-crops in WI, after all (after corn, but before marijuana - no lie!).

Karen
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 11:10 am:   

Really? Before marijuana? Those must be some good cherries. I will check them out with my local cherry-czar pal.

Trent
Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 04:31 pm:   

So what do you think of Edwards? My opinion plummetted from the 60 Minutes fluff piece--making me think he was nothing but fluff (the most dynamic comment being, "He's not just another pretty face," from which statement we're supposed to hone in on his pretty face), but maybe he's got content I've been missing.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 05:12 am:   

Hey Barth, is it also peach season? Janet and I were at the farmer's market this weekend, and peaches were everywhere. At least three farmers brought nothing but. Even when we walked from the produce section toward the herb section, the sweet smell of peaches hung in the air. Naturally, we bought some.

barth
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 05:15 am:   

really, all the veep candidate needs to be is a good campaigner. and that's edwards. he really goosed the crowds in rural midwest, so he's got national appeal, but edwards won't win kerry any states just by being on the ticket.

my bottom line is that as senator, edwards voted for america to attack another country without provocation or without meaningful international support. i'm also dubious of a "millionaire populist lawyer." to be honest, this ticket flat-out depresses me.

~b.
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 05:33 am:   

jason, yes! for the love of god, bathe yourself in peaches! if i was in NC (that's where you are, yes?), i'd get to a peach orchard and buy up. find a farmer who has a disturbing passion for peaches and ask him/her to select a bag of peaches for you. learn from the best. you'll be shocked how different they taste from store-bought fruit whose flavor has been murdered by refrigeration (even farmers' markets might sell fruit that's been in a cooler for a night or two).

an even better strategy: drive out to a peach orchard, get a ladder and find a tree with ripe fruit, climb it, bend a peach branch close to your face, and eat the fruit without picking it. don't even touch it with your hands! just gnaw on that peach till you leave a pit on hanging on the stem.

sure people will think you're a freak, but you will have been blessed by the goddess, so fuck them.

Eric Marin
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 08:33 am:   

Hey, Barth, your "goblin's first word" blog entry was hilarious. I'm always afraid my 16 month old will add a word like that to her vocabulary. I try not to swear around her, but a "crisis" diaper in combination with flailing limbs really is prime cursing territory.

-b.
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 10:47 am:   

i know what you mean, eric. i've got a friend who has both a potty mouth and a son who's a word-sponge. it's not a pretty combo.

Eric Marin
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 06:24 pm:   

Oh, not good. Not good at all. . .

Celia
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 07:39 am:   

One of the funnier LJ posts I've read in a while was a woman who had accidentally taught her toddler not just the phrase 'open up a can of whupass," but the proper usage of the phrase. Sure to impress any grandparents.

Deborah
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 08:04 am:   

At my son's school they're told not to say "inappropriate" words...this ranges from cussin' to detailed talk about bodily functions.

One night last week, he was up at about 2:00 am (when he shoulda been asleep) and found a small tree frog in the living room...he woke me up, we showed the frog the door, and I sent him back to bed with stern words about being up in the middle of the night.

The next day, he says, "Mom, I hate to say this, but when I saw that frog I said something inappropriate."
"What did you say?"
"I said, 'Oh, Holy Crap, there's a frog in the living room!'"
"Don't worry," says I, "that was perfectly appropriate..."

:-)

-b.
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 10:04 am:   

wow! "can-o-whupass" and "holy crap" are both on my top ten curses list. "ratbastard" is tops of course. :-)

Deborah
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 08:06 pm:   

This "inappropriate words" thing is a real hoot with my son and his classmates...one of the other moms told me she and her daughter were riding along in the car one day and her daughter said, "Mom, can I say something inappropriate?"

"Oh-kaaayyy..."
"Kie (classmate) is a real wanker."

Ah, third grade...look what you have to look forward to, Barth.

HeyTrey
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 02:42 pm:   

I knew what story it would be before I even clicked the link. Yes, freaked is a good way to describe my reaction too.

Meanwhile, last week in Colorado I had a cherry that appeared to have had the name Mona scratched into it in its infancy, and grew to plumpness with that unusual scar. I tossed it to the elk.

~b.
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 04:41 am:   

we get eggplants at the store that look like richard nixon, but i haven't seen names scarred into fruit. that's pretty cool.

Celia
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 09:36 am:   

Your poor son years from now will never be able to attend a baseball game without sleeping through the first inning. ;)

b
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 10:35 am:   

i know. the olympics will turn him into a narcoleptic.

Celia Marsh
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:31 am:   

Above and beyond the HMs, which were of course super cool, you (or rather "The Mystery of Our Baraboo Lands") also got listed on the last page of the fantasy summary as a story that Kelly and Gavin would have included if they had the space, one of about 6 or so named there.

barth
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:32 am:   

hey, thanks for letting me know that, celia! i haven't seen the actual antho yet.

barth
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 06:31 pm:   

you have to read this all the way through:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/08/22/scream.theft/index.html

Celia
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 08:08 am:   

I think the reporters believe that if they had to look it up, you should have to read it. I read one on some sort of scandal among the senate pages, which ended with a description of the uniform worn by the pages.

In differently related news, my father's back to school/birthday party invitation this year: http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/marsh/own_page/welcome_back.htm

~b.
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 10:09 am:   

your dad stole the painting. i know it.

Celia
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 12:06 pm:   

Borrowed. He just borrowed it.

barth
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 06:14 pm:   

is anyone blogging the worldcon experience this weekend?

somebody hook me up...

Eric Marin
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 01:24 pm:   

Congratulations on the novel sale, Barth! That's wonderful news! :-)

barth
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 03:53 pm:   

thanks, eric! yeah, it's pretty amazing.

J. Erik Lundberg
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 05:20 pm:   

Big big conga rats, dood! You da man!

barth
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 06:46 pm:   

thank you kindly, mr lundberg!

rwexler
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 08:53 am:   

Novel sale, Barthman? Tell us!

Robert

barth
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 02:45 pm:   

yes, a novel sale, robertman! i accepted an offer from juliet ulman at bantam for my novel The Patron Saint of Plagues.

woo freakin hoo!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 05:34 am:   

Barth! Huge congratulations on the novel sale to Bantam. Does this include any of your previous stories (the one in the Rabid Transit chapbook dealt with plagues, if I remember correctly), or is it all brand-new Barth words?

Way to GO.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 09:58 am:   

Whoa! How did I miss this?!? Mucho congratos produce man! Lately, I've had a grapple (grape-flavored apples) and been intrigued by dragon fruit...which looks like some cactus fruit.

Looking forward to seeing you on the shelves.

JK

barth
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 12:42 pm:   

mike,

thanks man! no, this is all new. though you're wise to mention "the psalm of big galahad" from _rabid transit_. that was sort of a poetic distillation of the research i was doing for this novel.

klima,

thanks, john!

grapple?? is that for real or are you shitting me?

barth

JV
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 12:47 pm:   

Congrats!!

JeffV

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 01:03 pm:   

Not kidding at all. I've eaten one.

http://www.getfitfoods.com/grapple_story.html

And the dragon fruit:

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/dragon_fruit.htm

JK

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 01:04 pm:   

dragon fruit

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 06:20 pm:   

wow, Barth, that's fantastic! Congrats!

barth
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 07:15 pm:   

thanks, jeff y forrest! and same to you. lots of great news in our little corner of the world.

~b.
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 07:19 pm:   

"This is the only apple that currently meets the strict Grapple standards."

this sounds like some sort of rp combat system for fruit.

wow. i'm gonna see if our buyer can track some down. we have very good connections in that region. thanks for the tip, john!

the dragon fruit scares me though.

~b.
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 07:26 pm:   

wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute...

they inject the apple with artificial grape flavor??

Eric Marin
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 08:49 pm:   

Happy birthday, Barth!

barthday boy
Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 09:05 am:   

it's not till next saturday, actually, so you still have time to send me big, juicy presents. :D

Eric Marin
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 06:37 pm:   

Well, happy early birthday, Barthday Boy!

Eric Marin
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 11:26 am:   

Regarding your 12/1 blog entry: Damn straight, Barth.

barth
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 04:38 pm:   

gracias! yeah, it felt great to get the contract in the mail.

J. Erik Lundberg
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 09:29 pm:   

That's awesome, man. And happy birthday!

barth
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 04:23 pm:   

thank you, thank you. it certainly takes the sting out of turning forty.

Eric Marin
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 01:43 pm:   

Barth, I just read "The Parade of You". Wow. Damn fine story.

Oh, and you're right about the illustrating art; it's terrific.

barth
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 06:48 am:   

glad you think so! midori snyder edits the Journal of Mythic Arts now, and she's pretty aggressive about getting new artists on the site. they don't pay anything, so it's pretty cool that marcone was willing to share his work.

J. Erik Lundberg
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 07:21 am:   

I ditto that, man. I'll repeat what I emailed you: this is a phenomenal story, and the artwork added another great layer to it. Yay you!

~b.
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 01:53 pm:   

still waiting for SCS to darken my doorstep....

toe tap. toe tap. toe tap.

;)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration