Alan's hi Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Ratbastards » Alan's hi « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan DeNiro
Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 06:13 pm:   

Thanks to those in charge for giving us a little homestead here.

So, right, the Ratbastards--a semi-tongue in cheeked named writerly co-op and publishing venture (under the Velocity Press aegis) consisting of Barth Anderson, Chris Barzak, Kristin Livdahl, and I. We all met at Clarion in 1998. And the rest was history.

Our first chapbook, Rabid Transit, consisted of four of our stories, each attempting in some fashion to push one or more boundary of speculative or fantastic fiction. Our second chapbook will appear in May 2003 and at this point is in top-secret production.

I guess this web space will be for our publishing projects as well as news about our own writing. As well as for theoretical digressions, reading lists, etc, whatever floats your boat. Our own webpage (http://www.taverners-koans.com/ratbastards) has a fair amt of fictional and nonfictional content already, as well as information on so feel free to browse through that, as well as more information on our chapbook.

OK, I think that's it for now. Hope to have this as a good place for discussion of all varieties.

Alan

Forrest
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 11:25 am:   

Welcome, Alan, glad you could make it here.

Forrest

Alan DeNiro
Posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 07:36 am:   

Hey Forrest, good to see you!

I suppose I should provide other personal linkage? Testimonial?

I have a story forthcoming in the Small Beer Press anthology Trampoline. The other stories look very good (you can just tell that by the titles, sometimes). I'm mostly working on a novel now, entitled Forget Me Maybe, which is about the perils of dating imaginary people. It also involves llama thieves, beekeeping, memory palaces, and teaching composition in the Mall of America.

Needless to say, I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing. I'm having fun (when I'm not tearing my hair out), but the scope and the juggling act involved with this scope is something I'm learning "on the job." Novels are tricksy!

Along with fiction, I lead a double life as a poet and poetry editor. (But I've found that writing poetry and SF has always played off each other in interesting ways.). Alas, it's not full of much espionage. I've run Taverner's Koans since 1997 (http://www.taverners-koans.com), which has writing exercises, essays on underrated poets, a poetry ezine, a workshop, etc. It's thrived despite, rather than because of, my editorial stewardship I'm afraid, since my editing of it has always been haphazard.

My blog is Ptarmigan (http://ptarmigan.blogspot.com), which isn't really a blog per se, but rather a series of prose poems disguised as a blog. Or rather, blog-on-crack(tm). Along with "Alan" (who is not exactly me) it has as its denziens two of "Alan"'s roommates, Evening and Quail, as well as a sentient web robot named Hypergolem that only lives on the blog. I hope it is in fact more interesting and less stupid than I made it sound. Well, it comes up #3 on a google search of the word "ptarmigan". So that's something.

I also reguarly write reviews of speculative and fantastic material for Rain Taxi (http://www.raintaxi.com), which (chances are) you can find at your favorite independent bookstore. The last issue included an interview Kelly Everding and I did with Jonathan Carroll and Ellen Datlow; you can read the full transcript here:

http://www.raintaxi.com/online/2002winter/carroll.shtml

OK, I think that's it for now...

Alan

Robert W
Posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 08:52 am:   

Hi Alan,

Welcome to this swamp desert.

Really enjoyed your unified field piece.

Robert

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 11:54 am:   

Yeah, Alan, keep up the good work, man.

Just re-read Rabid Transit, and have yet to completely figure out your numbered story. Nice one! And I dug Barth's viral gunslingers.

Sela.

Alan DeNiro
Posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 04:04 pm:   

Hello, Robert and Michael! (Yet another discussion space to worry about). Don't worry, Michael, I don't entirely understand "A Number of Hooves" either, and I wrote the damn thing. :-) And I'm glad you liked the other stories too--they're all a trip, though each in different ways.

Glad you like the essay, Robert. Kristin and I are looking forward to your novella coming out a lot!

JeffV
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 08:39 am:   

Yes--it's a very good essay. I wonder--do you like the Old School Barth's later work? I'm finding it very hard slogging.

Alan DeNiro
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 04:49 pm:   

Jeff--woe is me, I really haven't read very much Barth...just bits n' pieces. Sometimes my reading blind spots are very glaring!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 09:57 am:   

Hi Alan and the RBs -- check out the latest Asimov's -- Paul Difillippo gives _Rabid Transit_ a brief, positive mention. Nice work!

And I'm looking forward to Barth's story in next month's Asimov's...

Alan DeNiro
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 02:06 pm:   

Mike,

Thanks for the heads up...Barth's story is indeed an awesome story. And really fucking strange. Amazing stuff...He also has a story coming out in Nalo Hopkinson's anthology and Alchemy too...

Alan DeNiro
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 09:05 pm:   

Just in case there are any locals reading this:

a reading of fiction by
Alan DeNiro, Carolyn Tuttle,
Chris Besinger & Spencer Keralis

Saturday May 17, 2003 at 7:00 p.m.
StoneArch Espresso & Tea
21 4th St. SE, Minneapolis
(Between Boom! and the Aveda Institute)

These are 3 of my old students who invited me to read with them, so it should be a lot of fun.

barth
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 08:22 am:   

i'll be out of town that night, alan, but i'll be sending you good vibes.

heading to boom! afterwards for leather dyke night, i take it??

Alan DeNiro
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 11:50 am:   

Barth, you have to realize that, since moving to the nether-reaches of the Twin Cities, I'm just a yokel from Oakdull now! I'll be too enarmored of, and yet dazed by, the tall buildings and bright lights that I'll have little energy save to read my story and depart back to Camaro-land.

Kristin Livdahl
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 03:58 pm:   

In defense of said Oakdull, there are more pick-ups and company vans in driveways than Camaros. I tend to see more Camaros on rural Wisconsin roads, or are they Transams?

bart ya-hey
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 08:08 am:   

<<I tend to see
more Camaros on rural Wisconsin roads, or are they Transams?>>

could be either - the key is whether or not a mullet is involved.

oops! lettin my 'sconnie roots show...

b

donchyano
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 07:25 am:   

*sniff*sniff*
How I miss my mullet-laden homeland . . .

--minz

Alan DeNiro
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 09:48 am:   

I usually don't provide all-points bulletins for individual stories I've published, but I wanted to let people know that I have a story now out from the magazine One Story, "Child Assassin." One Story, as the name hints, is a magazine that comes out every three weeks that consists of a single story. They don't do newstand sales at all, so you either have to subscribe or buy an individual issue (I think they run from 2-3 bucks!). On their website: http://www.one-story.com there is a mini-interview with me too. It's a really cool magazine, and it's one of the stories I'm happiest with, so you should check it out.

ratminister of propoganda
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 12:08 pm:   

jay lake might have his buttons and zeppelin, but we ratskies are going to start giving away what surreal/specfic readers truly crave:

http://www.cafeshops.com/denirotheband.9019266

(via www.ptarmigan.blogspot.com)

Haddayr
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 02:56 pm:   

Dear. God.

Kristin
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 05:59 pm:   

I'm sorry but even I don't want a DeNiro thong!

ratminsitry of propaganda
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 06:14 pm:   

hrm... we planned on you modeling it.

ministry of thongmodels
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 03:09 pm:   

hokay, no response from k-girl. let's go down the list, then.

zakbar?

Christopher Barzak
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 06:14 pm:   

i was wondering how long it'd take for you to ask.

of course

barth
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 10:47 am:   

"Not that I really have any inclination to attend, but I just love how the corporate sponsor of the Mythic Journeys conference is...Krispy Kreme?!?"
-- www.ptarmigan.blogspot.com

and i hear lockheed-martin is supporting the next ratbastard antho.

Alan
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:36 am:   

So Monsanto fell through?

Damn.

Alan
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:48 am:   

Btw, Barth, you need to be crossposting this repartee on my blog's new discussion Quicktopic.

It needs you, Barth.

Alan DeNiro
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 09:26 pm:   

Since I'm a crazy-type fool, I'm serializing a novellette I've written, entitled "Home of the", on my weblog (http://ptarmigan.blogspot.com). We'll see how it goes. When I'm done, I might bundle it into a pdf and put it on my site.

Alan
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 11:43 am:   

The whole novelette of "Home of the" is now online at http://ptarmigan.blogspot.com, and I've made a pdf of the story available here: http://www.taverners-koans.com/homeofthe.pdf

It was a fun process, and surprising, in that the blog became very much a compositional space. It's hard to describe but revising it on the fly section by section became much more of a highwire act because it was so immediate. This helped add to the creative energy and helped me go places in the revisions I might not have been able to otherwise (or maybe so, who knows).

And no, I really don't know what's happening at the end. I wish I did.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 12:00 pm:   

You can also read the introductory paragraphs of Alan's excellent story "A Keeper" at the Electric Velocipede website. Just go to www.electricvelocipede.com and then either click on the TOC link or the FICTION link.

JK

Christopher Barzak
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 02:35 pm:   

I love "Home of the", but I have to say I really really love "A Keeper", for all that nostalgic value. Good choice, John! ;-)

Carole Carmen
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 01:42 am:   

Hi Alan,

I just did the illustration for your story 'Tetrarchs' coming up on Strange Horizons. There was such fantastic imagery in this, I could have done about a dozen illos!

Really enjoyed it!

Alan
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 08:22 am:   

John, really looking forward to seeing EV #6. I had a lot of fun reading the opening lines to the other stories.

Carole, thanks for the kind words, and glad you liked the story; really can't wait to see what you've done artistically with it!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration