NBA Roundup and Predictions Segment Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Ratbastards » NBA Roundup and Predictions Segment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:21 pm:   

Please post your predictions for division champions, conference champions, and overall champion. And maybe through in the most improved team and biggest embarassment.

Atlantic: New Jersey
Central: Indiana
Midwest: Minnesota (no, I'm not myopic. Honest.)
Pacific: Sacramento

Conference champions: New Orleans and Minnesota
World champions: Minnesota (I swear to god, this is their year. They look a little sloppy early, but Flip Saunders finally has some decent players around Garnett. If they can get healthy, they will be obscenely good).

Biggest improvement: Denver
Biggest embarassment: Miami

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 01:42 pm:   

I actually think that the Bucks will be a better team this year, but may win fewer games if that makes sense. The Lakers look damn good right now, but it's early. I'd love to see KG kick some butt and tear down some backboards in the championships...but I can't quite get behind. Apologies to Mr. Picacio, but I do not see the Spurs repeating. They do not have enough people around Duncan to make a run. I also think Dallas has a great squad (even with 'Toine clanking 3's all night long) and should be the team to watch.

Predictions:
Atlantic: Philadelphia
Central: Detroit
Midwest: Dallas
Pacific: Lakers

Conference Champions: Detroit & Lakers

Champions: Lakes

Most improved: Denver
Least improved: Miami

Here's hoping that the Lakers implode and I'm all wet.

JK

Minz
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 10:40 am:   

Predictions:
Atlantic: Nets
Central: BUCKS!!!
Midwest: Mavs
Pacific: Lakers

Conference Champions: Nets & Lakers

Champions: Lakers (& I second Klima's desire to be completely wrong about this, but 4 hall-of-famers is too tough to ignore.)

Most improved: BUCKS!!!
Most fun to laugh at: Miami

Alan
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 11:00 am:   

The way I see the Lakers is as a slightly better redux of the Rockets when they had Hakeem, Clyde Drexler, and Barkley. Very very good team, a good shot at the conference finals, but I think they'll hit the wall in the playoffs.

Question: Is Shaq going to be able to be 100% healthy for the entire year?

Also, I think their bench is the weakest it's been in a long time. George, as much as I like him, was very erratic last year, and the rest of the non-superstar cast is a year older and slower.

The x-factor in all of this is Bryant's trial. He looks good now, but the season is a long haul. There are going to be a lot of distractions with this. I don't see the rest of the team really having his back. Winning cures all wounds, but when things start to grind out later in the season, I could easily see the knives coming out.

These are just my thoughts and I, of course, could be proven totally wrong. But I hope not since I hate the Lakers.

Alan

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 12:33 pm:   

You're right Alan, Shaq's health is the key. Plus, all these superstars are not young (except Kobe) so who knows how much banging around they can handle? If they have to go to their bench, they're sunk. I mean, the Bucks take it toe to toe the other night. Man for man, the Lakers have way more talent in their startig line-up than the Bucks, but they didn't control the game.

Having seen the Bucks (or at least highlights) play a few games, I already know they are a better team than last year. I think the Karl hangover is gone and the team is playing with enthusiasm that was lacking for many years.

JK

Minz
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 01:22 pm:   

The Bucks are going to definitely have their ups and downs, and they simply don't have the experience to be a dangerous team in the playoffs. But the youth and depth--they have five above-average scorers--could carry them to the division title even if they end up swept in the playoffs.
Of course, if the youth outwieghs the depth, they could easily miss the playoffs entirely. But at the very least, they are playing with a helluva lot more verve, and as a team. That can go quite a ways in the Leastern Conference. (Look at Detroit)

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of opportunity for the Lakers to stumble--YAY!--but if those four players are healthy throughout the playoffs, it'll be lights out (don't care if they're an 8 seed due to distractions, nights off, etc.). Even without the depth. In fact, I probably shouldn't have picked 'em to win the division--they probably won't--but as much as I hate 'em, as long as they're healthy, they're the team to beat. For good reason.

stoopid
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 01:45 pm:   

"these superstars are not young (except Kobe) so who knows how much banging around they can handle?"

kobe....banging around...heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh

John Picacio
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 03:55 pm:   

Alright. Alright. With all due respect to you fellas, stop me if we’ve heard this before in the last five years….such and such team will DOMINATE the league….the hype machine rolls out of NYC…the NBA season commences….all the superstars and smackrunners come out and say "This is our year. This is the year the truth will be told." So you start the season and some hot team takes off lightning-fast….(see the Wolves, Mavericks, and Lakers in recent years)….Kobe and Shaq hiss and snarl….Garnett howls and poses after every dunk…Iverson pouts that he’s being dissed….Nowitzi and Nash whine that they get no calls…ZenMaster Jackson toys with the refs in the media (never getting fined by the NBA, I might add)…it’s all great theatre….we know the drill…we’ve read the book and bought the t-shirt….we see it every year…

Meanwhile, the Spurs start the season (see the 1999 and 2003 championship seasons) slow and stumbling….nursing injuries…searching for lineup chemistry…while coach Gregg Popovich spends the entire months of November and December figuring out what players work best in what situations and defining his kit of parts…meanwhile, Kobe and Shaq pose and preen….Garnett is still hotdogging…Iverson is still pouting that he’s being dissed….Nowitzi and Nash are still whining that they get no calls…

Then, the Spurs encounter a disastrous road trip or two in December or early January, and it’s "come to Jesus" time….sink or swim….and slowly as the All-Star break approaches, we see the Spurs crawling (very) slowly up the standings…gutting out games with chemistry, hustle, team defense, and the play of the two-time defending NBA Most Valuable Player (I’ll give you a hint: his name isn’t Shaq)….

The All-Star break comes and goes and suddenly, the Spurs find their legs….they’re now soaring up the standings…playing as a team, not individuals….no posing…no preening….no howling….no hotdogging…no whining….

Just winning.

Winning as a team. Playing together. Ignoring the critics. Gutting out victories.

We’ve seen this recipe before….and in two out of the last five years, it’s ended in World Championships in the Alamo City and big parades and margaritas all around…

So this year….what do we see? Looks like the same old, same old to me….

Tonight, the Lakers and the Spurs will meet…no Duncan, no Tony Parker, and in fact, no backup point guard and a bevy of other injuries….the Lakers will come in with their Hall of Famers and more than likely pull off an ass-whipping on national TV…the pundits will say, "San Antonio is done. Long live the Lakers! Give them the trophy!! It’s over!!!"

Meanwhile, the Spurs will do as they’ve always done and keep gutting it out…keep playing defense…keep building team chemistry and rotation for the playoffs….

In short….the Spurs are the defending NBA champions. WE wear the rings. We’ve got a coach who has won two World Championships in five years and has proven that he can out-chess the Zenmaster when it comes down to money time. This season is starting no differently than our previous two championships.

Let the rest of the NBA pose and run smack. We’ve seen it before here in San Antonio. We’ll just keep smiling, keep sipping margaritas, keep simmering more fajitas on the grill, and watch Popovich and the boys just keep building for those games in June.

Same old story.

As a postscript to the above, I really DO like the Bucks to do some damage this year in the East. Being a Longhorn, I know what T.J. Ford can do. And even I’M surprised at how FAST he’s gotten acclimated to the NBA game. He’s going to be a terror, and already is. Bucks fans are in for a treat! My only reservation is you Bucks fans may be getting a good taste of T.J.’s civilian threads because I think he’ll be in street clothes a lot on the bench as the season wears on. His little body is going to have a tough time taking an 82-game beating. I’m hoping for the best though.

Alan
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 07:27 pm:   

LOL! That's some great Spurs fanfic. Looking forward to your predictions!

:D

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 07:45 pm:   

Hey, how come nobody bothered to say LeBron is overrated and not nearly enough to pull the Cavs up this year? What's all this wastin' time on the Lakers? Huh?

Okay, I caught a few glimpses of LeBron's first week in school and I think Carmelo can go ahead and start planning that Rookie of the Year acceptance speech.

'Course, I'm a Big East girl, so I saw plenty of Carmelo last year -- the guy is amazing. So, yeah, Alan, Denver will probably be the most improved team.

I was hoping the Cavs would get off to a better start, but, hey, I'm used to it now.

:-)

Minz
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 08:15 pm:   

All time favorite set of sports photos: May 8th, 1989 Chicago Tribune, four photos:
photo#1: MJ begins to elevate for the shot
#2: Craig Ehlo (& Co.) jump to try and block
#3: Jordan reaches his apex but hangs onto the ball
#4: Ehlo & Co have returned to earth as his Airness finally takes the shot while still hovering in the air, just defying gravity.

Game 5 & Series Winner.

Of course, it was the Cavaliers that stood in the way for much of Jordan's early years. That's who they had to finally defeat to take the next step. I remember.

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 08:54 pm:   

Now those were some teams -- Nance, Daugherty, Price. But then along came Chris Dudley...he has the distinction of being the only guy to miss five free throws in one trip to the line (two shots, three lane violations). And who can forget The Trade?

How can you NOT be Cavs fan?

John Picacio
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 10:45 pm:   

Hey, Alan --

You're telling me that I'm talking "fanfic" when you're saying the Wolves will be "obscenely good" this year and win the ring???

Oh.....OK. Whatever you say, dude. :-)

I think Latrell needs some more reefer. Why don't you pass what you're smoking on to him, OK? :-)

And by the way, the World Champion San Antonio Spurs just took the "holier than thou", "fully loaded", "all-time greatest" Lakers to DOUBLE OVERTIME.

Note to the doubters (take note, Mr. Klima): The Spurs played tonight WITHOUT TWO-TIME MVP TIM DUNCAN, WITHOUT STARTING POINT GUARD TONY PARKER, WITHOUT A BACKUP POINT GUARD, and with an INJURED Manu Ginobili and an INJURED Robert Horry.

And they STILL almost beat the Lakers tonight! 120-117 in DOUBLE OVERTIME. So much for there being "no one" around Tim Duncan. Manu Ginobili is an All-Star in the making. Take notes.

So put the Laker champagne away. Put the gold and purple tiaras back in the closet. Team defense and unselfishness still wins championships. Running this "Fantastic Four" smack does not.

It's gonna be a long season and right now, the Spurs are the NBA World Champions until further notice. The Lakers have a LONG, LONG way to go to knock us off.

No predictions necessary from me. No smack necessary.

I'll just have the margaritas and fajitas ready come late May and June.

rfw
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 05:53 am:   

I have to say I'm with my fellow longhorn Mr. Picacio, even though I'm a lifelong Rockets fan. I'll vote for Spurs, but the Rockets will be the most improved, and in another year...

Robert

John Klima
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 05:56 am:   

Listen, when we're talking about teams we like, I'd rather see the Spurs in the playoffs/championships than the Lakers every year. These are just predictions. I remember a few years back when NY played San Antonio in the championships and everyone out here was talking smack about how easy New York was going to win. I asked: "have you ever seen Tim Duncan play?" They hadn't, but they got their chance.

And don't even get me started on Spreewell. Motherfucker from Milwaukee who should be behind bars instead of sucking up good fan money.

And Lebron? He had some good games to start, great games in fact, but it's tapered off. We'll see how he handles a full 82 games instead of the 20 he's used to playing in high school.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 05:58 am:   

I also think it's interesting that NJ is coming so poorly out of the gates.

JK

John Picacio
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 06:18 am:   

Hey, John --

It's totally cool.....I was just having fun...and as far as the Nets, I don't know how they can come so slowly out of the gates when they're healthy and still intact from the previous season....that's bizarre to me...but in the end, I think they'll be in the thick of it as long as Kidd is healthy...

Regarding RFW's thoughts on the Rockets, I concur completely that they will probably be the most improved NBA team this year. As far as Midwest Division teams go, THAT team is going to be hellacious in a year.

The Mavs don't worry me in the least (no interior defense....hell, no conscience on defense, period)....the Wolves have a scrappy and sometimes-brilliant coach that I like very much, but I think Garnett is still all about his touches too much for them ever to be a great team in the classic sense...however, the Rockets already show the makings of a team of the future...they're already playing much-improved team defense under Van Gundy and they're very physical and quick....they'll be Midwest contenders before very long...

Alan
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 07:00 am:   

Rockets> I just looked last year at how little Steve Francis got the ball to Yao. Talk about an arrogant player--but maybe this is residual from when he pouted ad naseum right after his draft.

Cavs> Deborah, being from Erie, I grew up watching them and really loved those Daughtery/Price/Nance teams.

Wolves> One of the problems with the Wolves is that Garnett doesn't get enough touches! Seriously, if anything, he's not aggressive enough, esp. in the fourth quarter. (He had almost 6 assists a game last year.) He might show...visible emotion after certain plays, but he is incredibly unselfish.

Once (if?) they get fully healthy, we'll see what their mettle is: Troy Hudson coming off the bench, or even using a backcourt once in awhile of Hudson and Cassell.

And actually, the whiner on the Wolves is clearly Wally.

Deborah
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 07:27 am:   

Ah-ha, Alan, I knew from your Polyphony story that you must have had more than a fictional acquaintance with Western PA and surrounding areas. While it won't be this year, I do think ultimately if Silas can find the right position for him LeBron will have a good career. And Z has to stay healthy. And we have to do something about that planetary alignment.

But, hey, that should be easy.

I currently live near Paul Allen's 50 million dollar daycare but I'm not sayin' nothin' about the Blazers.

:-)

Minz
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 07:56 am:   

>>How can you NOT be Cavs fan?

It's actually quite easy, Deb. And that's before their current troubles.

And if you want to talk about terrific teams that never got it done, what team had the best winning percentage in the '80s?
Not the Lakers
Not the Celtics
Not the 76ers
That's right, the Milwaukee Bucks. 7 straight 50+ win seasons, 5 straight division titles, 10 straight playoff appearances . . . and no friggin championships. Sidney Moncrief, Marques Johnson, Quin Buckner, Bigbad Bob Lanier, Brian Winters & Junior Bridgeman off the bench (and any number of interchangeable big ugly white guys at power forward: Paul Mokeski, Randy Breuer, etc., etc.). In the playoffs, if we actually managed to beat the 76ers, the Celtics would take us out, or vice versa. It was brutal. Always really tough and competitive, but never good enough.

As for the *yawn* Spurs, undoubtedly they are dangerous, but if the Lakers are completely healthy when the playoffs hit, that Fab Four will be too tough to ignore . . . hey I'm a poet, and I'm a Lakers-loather.

Minz
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 07:57 am:   

And John, where are my fajitas & margaritas? You start sharing some of those, and Klima & I might just come over to the black&silver side . . .

John Picacio
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 10:44 pm:   

Hey, Minz --

Next time you and Klima are down in S.A., we'll square you away in both departments. No problems!

Hey, Alan --

I saw the Wolves a little bit tonight and they looked much improved for sure. I like what Cassell brings to the table for them. They'll be a handful for sure. It's a long season. We'll see how things progress.

John Picacio
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 10:49 pm:   

Hey, Minz --

By the way, what was that in your flask that night at WFC? I forget which party that was.

Whatever that was, that was smooth stuff. Do you recollect what that was?

Minz
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 12:27 pm:   

Hey John:

It's my favorite scotch (definitely my favorite for under $35, sometimes find it for under $30):
The Balvenie 12-year-old Doublewood.

The 10 and 15 year olds from Balvenie are okay, but not nearly as smooth. The Portwood is also excellent, but usually goes for $45 or so.

In general, if you liked the Doublewood, try other Sherry and/or Port wood scotches from other distilleries.

Drink responsibly. (i.e. be sure to invite your friends to join you.)

Alan
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 02:55 pm:   

John,

I was pretty impressed with Rasho's play during what I saw of the Lakers' game. A nice pick up for you guys. He looked pretty energetic and didn't have any of that deer in the headlights look I had come to know and, er, "love" when he played for the Wolves. His playoff play has been pretty abysmal, but maybe he can turn that around too.

Yeah, the Wolves were playing Orlando, so it's hard to tell--but there were some flashes of brilliance that made me salivate. Madsen was incredibly scrappy, and there was some incredible ball movement. It's going to be a long season though, so we'll see.

Alan
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 09:45 am:   

OK, so just how stupid is the Western Conference?

(Stupid being: only two teams below .500?)

John Picacio
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 10:03 am:   

Amazing, isn't it?? What a dogfight this is going to be.

Alan
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 08:20 pm:   

John (if you're out there): great game tonight. Duncan had some jaw dropping low post moves (as usual). It's going to be a long haul, but I couldn't be happier about the way the Wolves are playing--they have a real edge and a dynamism, maybe for the first time ever, and they're just defensive fiends. Anyway, superb showing by the best 2 teams in basketball tonight. They'll both be there come April, I think.

John Picacio
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 11:12 am:   

Alan --

Props to the Wolves....I'm never happy when the Spurs lose, but the Wolves were very deserving of the victory....they rose up at the end of the game and took it. I think they have an edge thanks to Sprewell and Cassell that has not been there in the past. Spree is just a physical wonder....still a greyhound even at his advanced age....smooth-moving and mean....

The Wolves are coming out of the first round, no doubt....maybe a lot more!

Alan
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 12:24 pm:   

By Alan on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:21 pm:

Please post your predictions for division champions, conference champions, and overall champion. And maybe through in the most improved team and biggest embarassment.

Atlantic: New Jersey
Central: Indiana
Midwest: Minnesota (no, I'm not myopic. Honest.)
Pacific: Sacramento

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration