Unbelievably good artist Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Ratbastards » Unbelievably good artist « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Victoria Garcia
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 11:21 am:   

Heavenly God, have I ever found an artist. His name is Tom Knechtel, and he's got a show called "On Wanting to Grow Horns: The Little Theater of Tom Knechtel" up at The Henry Art Gallery in Seattle. If you're within 150 miles of this thing, I recommend that you see it. The show closes in Seattle on September 21. It's a travelling show, but it's been on the road for at least a year. I have no idea where it's going or where it's already been.

Here's a link to some of Knechtel's work:

www.netropolitan.org/knechtel/tkmain.html

The digital images are sadly inadequate, but I think they're enough to give you a sense of how in-mucking-credible this stuff is. (All of these pieces, I believe, are in the show at The Henry.)

Judging from his artist statement, and from the short interview they showed at the gallery, this guy seems to be trying to do some of the same things that many of us are, dwelling as we do to the border between the experimental/literary world and genre. He wants to be visually interesting and visually challenging. He wants to play with themes of abstraction and concreteness. At the same time, he's obsessed with literature, theater, and myth, and he needs like crazy to be able to play with ribbon-wrapped bats, flowering penises, Ganesh, and talking fish.

--Victoria

barth
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 11:45 am:   

"ribbon-wrapped bats, flowering penises, Ganesh, and talking fish."

this happens to be the title of the next ratbastard antho, oddly enough.

Kristin Livdahl
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 11:15 am:   

Very cool and interstitial, Victoria. Thanks for sharing the link.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration