British portrait Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Ford, Jeffrey » British portrait « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Colin Brush
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 11:13 am:   

Hi Mr Ford

This week, London's Time Out says of your wonderful book: 'A classic ghostly fable of madness, murder and fine art. Ford combines an effective period piece with fabulously inventive twists on some old horror favourites. This is a dark, erotic book, with real pathos at its core.'

If you didn't already know.

I would add that I thoroughly enjoyed Portrait and everyone I've recommended it to has also devoured the novel in a couple of days. An inspiring blend of Stevenson, Conan Doyle, Wilde and Chandler that has me itching to re-read some of those dark 19th-century stories that send a shiver down your spine.

If I say that I forgot that I was reading a book for much of the story - and generally I'm always very conscious of what I'm reading, partly because I'm trying to work out how the writer did it! - then I hope you understand just what a powerful and successful piece of storytelling I felt it to be.

All the best

Colin Brush

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 09:01 pm:   

Colin: Thanks for the info on the review, but your own review means even more to me. So glad you liked it.

Best,

Jeff

Liz Williams
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 02:48 am:   

Jeff - i've just finished Portrait. Am enormously impressed with it.

Liz

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 06:06 am:   

Hey Liz, coming from you, that just made my week. Thanks for taking the time to read the book and write in. Was wondering if I could e-mail you. I have a question or two about something you might know about. Let me know if you see this.

Best,

Jeff

Rick Klaw
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 07:31 pm:   

More British love for Charbuque.. This time from Michael Moorcock in the Guardian.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/sciencefiction/0,6121,1019538,00.html

Rick

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration