Matrix Reloaded Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Ford, Jeffrey » Matrix Reloaded « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 07:08 pm:   

Here's a movie with way too much pointless jawing. Morpheus made like the god of slumber and nearly put me out cold with his blither. When they get to the guy with the white hair (don't want to give too much away) send out for a 16 oz. coffee. Some cool fight sequences, but again to little end. The one on the highway is pretty intense. Neat camera angles. Some slow mo jazz. I don't know. It left me kind of flat. A billion dollars worth of production and a script like from the original Star Trek -- You are not Morg, you are not I-Morg.

Best,

Jeff

LeslieWhat
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 09:20 am:   

It was like an encyclopedia entry written by middle schoolers, only with fight scenes. Bad explanation of what the story is about. Kickboxing. Incomprehensible explanation of what the movie is about. Chase scene. Repeat one or more explanations of what the movie is about. Someone gets hurt.

But we had to see it. I suddenly have more respect for DUMB AND DUMBERER.

KJ Bishop
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 10:52 pm:   

It should get an Oscar for best performance by an item of clothing in a motion picture. That coat of Neo's did beautiful things.
The rest? Um. Lovely fight scenes, but like everything in the movie, too damn long. My eyes kept glazing over. I was sort of impressed by the white-haired guy - impressed that they put a speech of that complexity in, even if it was boring. It seemed deliberately over-complex, a parody of academic jargon, and I wondered if it was just another stylistic element - the verbal equivalent of all that balletic kung fu.

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 05:06 am:   

i actually thought the fight scenes were a bit repeditive. especially the ones with keanu. and i had the inescapable urge to hum the superman theme every ten minutes or so.

paulw
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 05:53 am:   

Neo v. Agents Smith was fantastic and funny. Too bad the rest of the movie was dull and stupid. Oh well, we'll always have Dark City . . .

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:09 am:   

KJ: Yes, on Neo's coat/cassock thing. My youngest son, when I asked him what he thought of the movie, all he said was that he wanted one of those coats.

Best,

Jeff

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:10 am:   

Ben: I know what you mean on the repttitive sense of the fight scenes and the flying. But I liked the way the ground rippled before he took off. That happens to my bedroom floor when I get up in the morning.

Best,

Jeff

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:17 am:   

PaulW: Dark City, City of Lost Children, etc. Those movies had good stories and a great look and no martial arts sequences (not that I'm down on martial arts stuff. I was recently turned on to the Iron Monkey, but even that had a good story). The problem with the Matrix 2 is that the fighting and the metaphysics never really coincided or seemed to connect. I think Leslie gave a good description above. I trhink the idea here as far as the story went was -- load up on the conundrums and just by their multitude we'll hit a critical mass that will eventually approximate profundity. As we know from life, that aint necessarily so.

Best,

Jeff

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 07:24 am:   

One thing I kept wondering - if Neo can stop bullets with the wave of a hand, and, as described in the first film, the One being able to do anything in the matrix, why was he getting into fights? Can't he handle fights as easily as stopping bullets?

Overall, I was not thrilled with the film. I sat bored through most of it. Yeah, the fight choreography was good, but I'd rather see it done without so much digital effects and with a decent plot.

It effectively killed my desire to see Matrix: Revolutions in the theater. I'll wait for video for that.

-Robert

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 07:32 am:   

Robert: did you stay for the credits and see the three second trailer for the next one? My son and I had heard that if you sit through the credits, you could see a piece of the 3rd Matrix flick. The credits were exceeeeeedingly long and all throughout them they played this horrendous skull fucking noise-music. finally the credits were over and what followed, well, there was less there than met the eye.

Best,

Jeff

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 08:18 am:   

Yeah, I stuck around for the preview at the end. It didn't seem worth the time I spent watching the credits.

Bob
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 10:32 am:   

Jeff: I went with a friend and some of his friends...who'd all been sipping from a large pop cup full of Southern Comfort through the entire movie. I too had heard about the preview, and I insisted on staying through the credits to see it.
My friend's friends were talking about kicking someone's ass when I made my exit....

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 11:20 am:   

Bob: As long as that ass kicking will have been well choregraphed.

Best,

Jeff

KJ Bishop
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 12:42 pm:   

Jeff,

Shit, yes, that 'music' at the end. Stu and I ran out of the theatre, wondering if we were getting old.

Expect to see black cassocky things in the shops this winter. I intend to wear mine with a wimple.

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 12:48 pm:   

KJ: What's a wimple?

Best,

Jeff

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 01:06 pm:   

OK, I looked up wimple. I should have remembered this from my catholic upbringing. It's that hood like thing that the nuns wore that kind of encases your head. Nice touch, KJ. But I also found that a wimple is a type of piranah. Then, with this next one, I thought you were being cleverer than usual, a wimple is a phenomenon of quantum physics that has to do with the recursive infinite nature of the universe. I thought perhaps you were making some sly allusion to the Matrix. But then everything and my last karate chop is sly allusion to the Matrix. Just ask the Architect, if you can get a word in.

Best,

Jeff

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 04:27 pm:   

Matrix reloaded seems to have suffered from the George Lucas diseases... nobody was around to tell the W. Brothers "x, y, and z is a REALLY… REALLY… BAD idea". Much like Star wars... I won't be wasting my time/money on the third installment. Right now, I can't even conceive of subjecting myself to viewing Reloaded ever again.

I wish the W. brothers would go make another sexy little noir/lesbian capper flick... or something... anything... that doesn't have 2 hours of F/X's, and 2 minutes of plot and dialog.

-jl

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 04:33 pm:   

"I wish the W. brothers would go make another sexy little noir.lesbian caper flick... or somethung... anything... that doesn't have 2 hours of F/X's, and 2 minutes of plot and dialog."

In Hollywood terms, that's like asking a dog to stop sniffing it's own ass.

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 05:46 pm:   

jeff and kirsten: that was rage against the machine you were fleeing. most of the band forms audioslave with chris cornell on vocals. i quite like both, so what can i say? well, that owning the cd with that song on it didn't mean i'd sit through the credits for the next trailer, i suppose :-)

jeff: the rippling of the flying was okay, inasfar as it was part of the flying. but it then became flying, and superman, and now, i keep thinking of carrie ann mosses character as lois lane, and larry's as jimmy.

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:23 pm:   

Ben: I noticed you stopped short of saying that Morpheus was Perry White.
Great Ceasar's Ghost!
Best,

Jeff

KJ Bishop
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 08:07 pm:   

Jeff,

>I thought you were being cleverer than usual, a wimple is a phenomenon of quantum physics that has to do with the recursive infinite nature of the universe.

I was actually going to try to make a pun about Neo being the Flying One, and me the Flying None. I'm so glad I didn't try :-)

I searched for wimple and quantum physics, and got this page:
http://members.tripod.com/~Glove_r/index-3.html

Wherein the guy who wrote it says:
'We now have the basic MoQ wimple model. The wave runs outward of the model at frequency of +1, +2, +3, and +4, encompassing everything real in the universe. These are also the only four real numbers. The model then goes into the non-realness of social structures.'

Sounds like the Matrix to me!

I was interested to see that the wimple is somehow related to indigs (where numbers are added together and reduced, e.g. 678 becomes 6 + 7 + 8 = 21 and 2 + 1 = 3 indig). When I was about 15, I had a dream where a tall blue (indigo??) woman showed me about indigs, and ever since then I've been fascinated by their quirks, and wondered what they were useful for.

I'm very curious now. I've gotta do some reading.

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 08:31 pm:   

KJ: You better write that dream up as a story or I'm going to steal it.

Best,

Jeff

KJ Bishop
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 10:14 pm:   

Jeff,

Lol! Gimme time to learn all about quantum physics and wimples before you nick it, all right? :-)

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 10:43 pm:   

KJ: I think it was Neils Bohr who said, "Anyone who claims to understand quantum physics, obviously doesn't know what they're talking about." I guess a week won't do it.

Best,

Jeff

KJ Bishop
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 11:13 pm:   

Jeff, I had to laugh at something the guy said on that site I found. Before going on to talk about 'the octantation of the Coupler by its eight all-space filling mites' he says he hopes that 'by using the MoQ wimple model, we can explain quantum physics in everyday terminology that even a six year old can comprehend.'

But hey, what do I know? Maybe six year olds will get it.

paulw
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 03:04 am:   

As Groucho said in Duck Soup, upon being handed the report of the minister of economics: "This is so simple a five year old child could understand it! Quick, run out and find me a five year old child!"

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 04:33 am:   

jeff: i'd forgotten totally about perry white. now that i think about it, that does seem a bit more correct. and, you know, mr smith is a bit like lex luther. well, with hair. and the fellow in white at the end... is it me, or did he have a vague resemblence to marlon brando in the first film. (if brando was bearded, that is.)

and you know, this kinda explains those sunglasses, doesn't it? i thought that they had no reason other than in film advertising, but of course, like clark, they're disguises!

i think i should just stop now.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration