New New Stuff Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Ford, Jeffrey » New New Stuff « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 06:05 am:   

Will soon have a new Virtual Anthology column on Ray Bradbury's "The Man Upstairs" at S1ngularity when ever Gabe gets it up, so to speak. I'm looking forward to seeing what they have in store there for May.

Mastadge
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 06:18 am:   

I believe that there's a Richard Calder story going up, and I think Gabe also said something about a Richard Morgan interview. . .

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 06:44 am:   

Mastadge: Thanks for the info. I like Richard Calder's fiction. He's an interesting writer. I don't know Richard Morgan at all. Can you fill me in?

Best,

Jeff

Mastadge
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 07:14 am:   

He's a British writer who made a splash last year with his ultra-violent sci-fi noir debut novel ALTERED CARBON. Worth reading. Its (kind of) sequel BROKEN ANGELS is pretty decent, too, although not as captivating as the first. It's a very different book, though; not just ALTERED CARBON redux.

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 07:22 am:   

Mastadge: Oh yeah, I've read about Altered Carbon. Saw very good things about it. I think Gabe's blog was the first time I noticed it. He's a big fan of the book I believe. Thanks for the reminder. I'll try to check it out.

Best,

Jeff

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 12:22 pm:   

Yo Jeff,

What's going on? Just received "The Fantasy Writer's Assistant" with the mail yesterday. Haven't started reading it yet (know half of the stories already anyways), but I must say that the cover looks great. Damn, it must be the best looking book I own.

Well, after I've finished the Conan Chronicles (Gotta love the classics :-) ) I'll give it a go. By the way, how's the Mulisch thing coming?

Cheers,

Cornelis

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:35 pm:   

Cornelis: How are you? Glad you stopped in to say hi.
The Mulisch is at a dead stand still as I madly work to fulfill writing obligations and work toward various deadlines. Have no fear, though, I will eventually get to it and when I do you will be the first to know.
Thanks for getting a copy of The Fantasy Writer. I like the cover a lot too. It is by John Picacio, who is doing wonderful stuff these days. He has a very distinctive style. Also, there is a story in there "Pansolapia". Read the afterward to that story for my own take on Conan, who inspired the piece.
Hope all is well with you.

Best,

Jeff

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:41 pm:   

A few things coming out this May:

*The Best Fantasy of 2002 edited by Robert Silverberg and Karen Haber, iBooks. Has the story "Creation"

*The Silver Gryphon edited by Marty Halpern and Gary Turner, Golden Gryphon. "Present From the Past" is original to this anthology.

*The trade paper version of The Portrait of Mrs. Charbuque (new cover) from Harper Collins/Morrow,
May 26

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 04:31 am:   

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the kind words! It's neat that you always react so fast, especially when you're so busy.

I'll check out the story and I'll try to find out more about Picacio. Maybe you know his homepage or something? Don't worry about it, I'll find it myself. His art rules big time.

Keep up the good work Jeff! Hope to read some new stuff from you on the Web real soon.

Cheers,

Cornelis

Mastadge
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 05:00 am:   

The Bradbury Virtual Anthology is up at Singu1arity. Or S1ngularity.

PeggyH
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 07:31 am:   

Cornelis, John's website is http://www.johnpicacio.com.

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 08:49 am:   

Thanks Peggy!

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 06:12 am:   

Wanted to alert readers, and especially fans of the fiction of Lucius Shepard -- I just finished writing an introduction to a book that is coming out from PS Publishers some time, I guess, this year. FLOATER is a novella, a horror story, concerning voodoo. It's a remarkably good piece of fiction, suspenseful and in parts down right creepy. All this wrapped around ideas of how we perceive reality and the power of one's world view to enhance or limit one's existence. Definitely worth checking out.

Best,

Jeff

Ellen
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 09:05 am:   

That was one he was originally writing for me at one point (I think for THE DARK). Glad he finally finished it and am looking forward to it.

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 04:40 pm:   

Hi Jeff,

I was lucky enough to get a copy of Ellen's THE DARK yesterday and read "The Trentino Kid" last night. Another wonderful, wonderful story.I've never been to Long Island or Great South Bay, but I felt like I had by the end of the story. Many congrats.

Best
Jonathan

Ellen
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 06:38 pm:   

Jonathan, so no one gets antsy I'd just like to add that you got the mss for review purposes. Bound galleys coming this month but STILL no cover yet as far as I know. I'm getting nervous...

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 07:36 pm:   

Hey Ellen, Sorry if early comments should be kept more QT. The mss is pretty fine indeed. I think you've done an extraordinary job on the book. Again. And as always.

J

Ellen
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 07:42 pm:   

Jonathan,
Sorry that you took that the wrong way. I was just concerned that someone might think the book was already out <g>
Delighted that you like it--hey the more buzz it gets the happier I am. Buzz away!!!

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 11:08 pm:   

Ellen,

Well, I'm slogging along through THE DARK as we speak (posting occasional sneak peak reviews to my website), and I'm only getting more impressed with the book as I go. It's terrific.

Jonathan

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 03:18 am:   

Ellen: Have you read "Floater?" It might be a good one for your end of the year anthology, although I know the logistical problems with novellas. This one is pretty long. But good, solid horror.

Best,

Jeff

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 03:26 am:   

Jonathan: Thanks so much for taking the time to read the story and offer your opinions on the Coode Street Blog. I saw it this morning. It was a great surprise. I've been following your other story reviews every day and went there before here today. Glad you enjoyed it and the other pieces so much. Ellen got me to write "The Trentino Kid." It was a land speed record, for me, at least. I can't wait to see the rest of the The Dark stories. I just know that she has compiled a great anthology with this one.
Clamming is a great job when you are 18. It really kind of got me centered in life before I returned to college. Hard work, but beautiful being out on the bay all day. One thing about being on the water on a dailt basis is that it heightens your appreciation of the supernatural or metaphysical. Sometimes weird shit seems very possible when you are immersed in Nature like that.
Thanks again.

Best,

Jeff

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 08:19 am:   

Hey, Jeff --t'anks for the plug and the great intro. I'm in your debt.

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 09:20 am:   

Lucius: It's a fucking plugfest. But when all the plugging has come unplugged, "Floater" will still be floating and readers will still be reading it.
BTY: I didn't have either the Derby or the Preakness, but I knew damn well, a couple of weeks before hand when they were talking triple crown, that Funny Cide was not that kind of horse. Not exactly Einsteinian erudition on my part, but I'm taking credit. The horse did run a good race in the Preakness, but I say it's a no go in the Belmont. So what does this mean? For me, nothing, for you, fifty to win on Funny Cide in the Belmont.

Best,

Jeff

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 09:58 am:   

Jeff, I don't know. I may go with Empire Maker in the Belmont. I have to consult my horse racing guy in NYC. This is less an area of expertise for me than one of dumb luck -- but my friend in the city is pretty good.

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 09:59 am:   

Jeff and/or Lucius,
So how long IS "Floater?" If it's not ridiculously long I'd certainly be able to consider taking it if I love it and depending on how the horror year goes. I haven't started reading anything yet. I want to read a couple of sf novels before digging back into the horror of it all <g>

Jonathan,
I'd like to check your website-where is it? I'll see if I can find it on my own but if you get back here before I do, leave the url please.

And yes, Jeff wrote that story and his "The Empire of Ice Cream" at a fever pitch when I was desperate for stories--"The Trentino Kid" was the perfect story to start THE DARK with--before it, I was bemoaning the fact that I didn't have the right story to begin with. So thank you again for coming through so brilliantly.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 10:22 am:   

Ellen, it's probably too long. About 45,000. But it's very crunchy.

Mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 11:41 am:   

Well, I'm looking forward to it.

And for the record, The Empire of Ice Cream is the best story I've read this year.

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 11:53 am:   

Mastadge: I don't know how readily available the PS stuff is in the US, if that's where you are writing from, but I imagine you can easily get "Floater" on line when it comes out.
And thanks for the kind words on "Empire," I appreciate it.

Best,

Jeff

Mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 12:05 pm:   

Yeah, I can get PS stuff online, and it takes a while but it can be gotten in US bookstores. Pretty expensive, especially for such small books, but (and my wallet's slapping me around here) I'm getting used to it.

Now I just need to find a job that will sustain my unhealthy book-buying habits.

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 02:34 pm:   

Ohboy. 45,000 words? Forget it. Crunch though? Sounds good. I like crunchy.

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 04:46 pm:   

Ellen -
The review stuff is at http://www.safetyline.wa.gov.au/temp/jonathan/coodestreetreview/index.html. The URL will change in a couple weeks, but that will work for a while. As a discipline thing, I'm reviewing at least one short story per day. It keeps me reading and thinking about what I'm reading, which is important right now.
- J

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 07:59 pm:   

I like your reviews a lot, Jonathan.

I only read those of stories I've published (and your piece on Howard Waldrop) --can't read the reviews of stories I'll be reading for YBFH #17 as I need a fresh eye. But I think they're fair.

Please let me know when you change the url.

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 08:34 pm:   

They're also a pretty eclectic mix of stories. That interests me about them too. I follow, waiting to see what the next day will bring.

Best,

Jeff

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 03:38 pm:   

Ellen & Jeff

Thanks for the kind words. You're never sure if these things get read.

J

Rick Bowes
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 09:13 pm:   

Hi Jeff

The ghost boy in "The Trentino Kid" is sad and moving. And your evocation of the Long Island, of 30 and 40 years ago, brought back the stunning clarity of the light, the seaside towns not yet absorbed by the suburbs, the contrast between ocean and the bay tides. Really beautiful.

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 10:07 pm:   

Rick: You know, you're right, that Long Island of 30 or 40 years ago seems now like it might as well be a hundred years ago. As I get older, it seems like things of the past like that are just vanished forever. Only when I write can I find them again, and even then there is something of the Museum of Natural History diorama about them, no matter how lively I am able to make them. This is something that the fictional past and future have in common. Thanks for your comments on the story.

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 09:14 am:   

Just got contributor's copies of TRAMPOLINE, an anthology from Small Beer Press, edited by Kelly Link. It's got a really cool Shelley Jackson painting on the cover. See for yourself: http://www.lcrw.net/trampoline/index.htm
I've listed the table of contents below. I don't think it will be coming out until August, but they are sending out review copies now. Looks great to me.
Trampoline TOC
Christopher Rowe, The Force Acting on the Displaced Body

Ed Park, Well-Moistened with Cheap Wine, the Sailor and the Wayfarer Sing of Their Absent Sweethearts

Shelley Jackson, Angel

John Gonzalez, Impala

Samantha Hunt, Famous Men (Three Stories)

Alex Irvine, Gus Dreams of Biting the Mail Man

Greer Gilman, A Crowd of Bone

Alan DeNiro, Fuming Woman

Maureen McHugh, Eight-Legged Story

Dave Shaw, King of Spain

Susan Mosser, Bump Ship

Vandana Singh, The Woman Who Thought She Was a Planet

Glen Hirshberg, Shipwreck Beach

Jeffrey Ford, The Yellow Chamber

Beth Adele Long, Destroyer

Carol Emshwiller, Gods and Three Wishes

Christopher Barzak, Dead Boy Found

Rosalind Palermo Stevenson, Insect Dreams

Richard Butner, Ash City Stomp

Karen Joy Fowler, King Rat

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 10:31 am:   

Yo Jeff,

Just finished the Fantasy Writer's Assistent & Other Stories yesterday. Good stuff! Bright Morning and The Road to New Egypt are my favorites. Again... good stuff.

Keep up the good work,

Cornelis Alderlieste

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 - 06:52 am:   

Cornelis: Sorry I didn't see your message sooner. Thanks for reading and writing to let me know. I appreciate it. By the way, I have since picked up the Mulisch novelin paperback. When I am going to get a chance to actually read it, that's another story. Hope you are doing well.

Best,

Jeff

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 - 07:12 am:   

Two new things --

I just turned in an introduction to Jeff VanderMeer's collection of stories, Secret Life, due out from Golden Gryphon, I believe, later this year or early next. This is a fascinating collection. There are some new Ambergris entries and a lot of other great stuff that really shows off Jeff's range and abilities. If you liked City of Saints and Madmen, then look for Secret Life.

My story, "Creation," has come out in audio from Audible as part of a F&SF Best of 2002 CD. There are some really good stories on this one. Apparently F&SF will be bringing out CD's of audio versions of a selection of stories from each of its mag.s on a regular basis. If the copy of my story I was sent is any indication, the readers are quite good. I'm going to buy a few of these as they come out selectively, they're a little expensive, but I think they will be great for long car rides and to use in my writing classes. It's a cool idea and I'm glad to see Gordon is coming up with interesting ways to keep my favorite magazine vital.

Best,

Jeff

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 12:02 am:   

Hey Jeff,

Don't worry about your late reaction. Happens to me all the time.

All right! You got the Mulisch in your possession. Good news.

Cd's? Ok, who's reading your story? Anyone we know?

How about those Nets?

Cheers,

Cornelis

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 10:13 pm:   

Just got a copy of a new chap book in the mail you might want to check out. Foreigners and Other Familiar Faces by Mark Rich from Small Beer Press. Mark has also done the artwork for this book and it's terrific. Some of the stories are reprints from SF Age, Nova, Full spectrum 4, Talebones and a couple are new ones. Mark is a very idiosyncratic writer. It's hard to say who he is like, because he is not like anyone. A real original with an original vision. Don't buy this if you want the same old same old.

Best,

Jeff

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 08:16 pm:   

For those interested, here's a few new things that will be coming out in the future.
"Jupiter's Skull" is a story I recently sold to Al Sarrantonio for his Fantasy anthology (I suppose along the lines of Red Shift for SF and 999 for Horror). I'm sorry, but I don't know when the book is coming out or what it is even going to be called. I do think he is pretty much ready to send it off to the publisher, though.

"The Annals of Eelin-Ok" is a story I recently sold to Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling for their anthology The Faery Reel. It's a YA collection along the same lines as The Green Man, put out by the same folks at Penguin. I'm not sure if Charles Vess is doing the cover and small illustrations for this one like the last one, but I can always hope so. I have found writing these stories for a younger audience both a challenge and a pleasure, especially since my kids are the ages these books are appealing to.

Also trying to finish a novel, The Shadow Year, for Morrow/Harper Collins. It's due at the end of summer. If it all goes well I suppose it will be out next year.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 09:43 pm:   

Jeff,

Charles Vess has indeed been commissioned to do the cover and decorations for THE FAERY REEL.

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 10:08 pm:   

Ellen: Thanks. That's great news. I really liked what he did with the stories last time. Have you seen the cover yet?

Best,

Jeff

Mastadge
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 05:13 am:   

I probably won't be getting the anthologies, but I can't wait for the novel. Thanks for the update.

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 09:10 am:   

For those interested, I will have a story, "A Night In The Tropics," in the new Argosy magazine, edited by Lou Anders. I believe it will appear in the first issue. Got some good suggestions on the rewrite for this one from JeffV and my noir guru, Rick Bowes. Hope you get a chance to read it.

Best,

Jeff

S. Hamm
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 08:25 pm:   

And a pip of a story it is, too!

I blame Bowes.

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 09:58 pm:   

Sam: Rick deserves his fair share of the blame. Anything having to do with crime, from high class Thomas Crowne Affair stuff to some punk holding up the Salvation Army Santa Claus on the street corner, Bowes knows.

Best,

Jeff

Ellen
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 10:26 pm:   

Jeff, Sorry I never saw your last message regarding THE FAERY REEL. Charles has just been given all the stories to work with but I doubt he's started work on the cover. I'm planning on handing the entire ms in to Sharyn November, our editor Friday. It was supposed to be handed in last Friday but Terri's computer blew up so she didn't get her overall intro to the book in to me until a couple of days ago. She' going through it one more time and then we're finished and out goes the book. Finally. It's 134,000+ words of fiction. Kelly Link came through with a dynamite story at the last minute. Terri's intro is about 7,000 words although she's trimmed a bit. Aighhh. I'm hoping Sharyn doesn't freak (I DID warn her).

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 11:08 pm:   

Ellen: It sounds like it's going to be a helluva collection. Like a lot what Vess did with the illustrations on the last one. Always excited to hear Kelly's got a new story. Maybe I can bug her to let me see it in advance. I agree it would be a shame to have to slash Terri's intro. The intro should be considered integral to these anthologies for the kids to get a sense of the themes and background that the writers are riffing off. Thanks for the info.

Best,

Jeff

Rick Bowes
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 09:23 am:   

Nothing I suggested would have mattered if that Eastern Long Island scene past and present hadn't been so clean and clear and if the crime didn't have a basic reality. Which is that the guys committing it were all fucked in the head.

Wasn't it Dashiell Hammett who said he didn't see how any of the crooks he dealt with as a Pinkerton supported themselves and that if their girlfriends didn't work they'd all be out on the street?

Even the three fences, the high ender, the middle roader and the one down on Canal Street who buys gold teeth,(the one Mr. Ford for reasons of his own has chosen to call Bowes) all have got to have something wrong with them. Why engage in what society has decided is a crime when the opportunities for respectable larceny are so ripe and available?

It was Brecht who said, "What is the crime of robbing a bank compared with the crime of founding a bank."

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 10:37 am:   

Rick, having had some small experience with guys in jail (in my offices as counselor, of course), I'm right with Hammett. The first guy I shared a cell with in NY was this guy named Vinny, who had broken into a bar/restaurant along with his partner. They secured all the money, then, as they were leaving, they opened a walk-in freezer and spied an immense many-tiered wedding cake. Of course they had to stop and have some cake, and some bourbon, more cake, more bourbon...after some time, when they were quite drunk and sugar rushing, they heard a noise at the front door. Vinnie ran upstairs, intending to exit via the fire escape. But someone was coming up the fire escape. There was an abandoned refrigerator on the landing, which Vinnie pushed down on the man ascending. In the act of pushing, he fell and injured his leg and could not run..,after a few days in jail, after listening to many such stories, it became clear that the basic crime of which we were all guilty was stupidity.

Rick Bowes
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 11:10 am:   

Lucius - Yeah, a good amount of stupidity. But often, as in Jeff's story, craziness, neurological damage, an inabillity to deal with the day to day. My surprise with the world of crime, since I came from a family full of cops and knew what they were like, was that the cops actually are smarter and more together than ordinary crooks. One of the things that organized crime does is give some assurance that the enterprise will be around next week.

Lou Anders
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 08:05 am:   

Just wanted to confirm what Jeff said about Night in the Tropics. It will definitely be in the first issue. In fact, I plan (though don't hold me to this) on leading with that story. As its a great blend of street crime and pulp-fantasy, I thought it would be a wonderful introduction to the magazine.
Lou
www.argosymag.com

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 10:44 am:   

Rick, no insullt intended to yr family, but from my experience, I'm not sure cops are smarter than criminals, it's just that THEY are organized, they have procedures, whereas most criminals are not and do not. While in Seattle, I knew a husband-and-wife team who made their living through burglary. They were perhaps the dumbest two people I have ever met, yet they were wildly successful. I knew them for 8 years and never did they come close to being caught...because they had a mentor who had schooled them well. I'm sure luck had something to do with their success, but the fact that they had a plan separates them from most criminals.

As to Jeff's story, obviously I haven' t read it, but yup, neurological damage is definitely a common flaw in the criminal class.

rick bowes
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 11:10 am:   

Lucius - I think they were smart enough to know that joining the force was a better bet. The way it worked with kids who got in trouble was that the ones who had cops in the family got off and became cops. The ones who didn't got to be the criminals in the next generation's game of cops and robbers.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:53 pm:   

Rick -- can't argue with that.

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 08:49 pm:   

Jeff:

I saw a comment from John Picacio on his board about doing a cover for something new of yours. Is there a new collection coming?

Jonathan

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 10:01 pm:   

Jonathan: Nothing is on paper yet, so I can't say definitely, but I have enough stuff for a new collection what with two left over from last year, "The Weight of Words" and "The Green Word," the stories published this year so far(like Empire of Ice Cream"), and five or six coming out in the next couple months (in Polyphony, The Dark, Argosy, Flights, etc.). John is interested if he has the time, and I'd love to get him to do a cover. Will probably know more in a month or two. If it's a go, it wouldn't be out till probably the summer of 2004. Thanks for asking.

John Picacio
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 09:41 pm:   

Hey, Jonathan --

Like Jeff said, it's not official. So I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it in the first place. Sorry about that. I think at the moment when I wrote that I thought the publisher was looking to move on it pretty quickly, but I think there are still "t's" to be crossed and "i's" to be dotted that don't have anything to do with me. So if it happens, I'd love to be a part of it, but as Jeff said, it's not official yet.

However, I think the world would probably be a better place with another Jeff Ford collection so let's hope it happens.

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 04:07 am:   

Definitely agree wity you on that one John!

Mastadge
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 05:07 pm:   

Cross those i's and dot those t's and make it official because I WANT IT!

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 02:58 pm:   

Here's a couple of dates of events I'll be participating in in the next few weeks.

World Fantasy Convention, Washington DC, Oct. 30th to Nov. 2nd.
On Friday I will be at the autograph signing event which begins at 8:30. Then, at 11:00 pm, I'll be part of a panel, along with Sherry Austin, Kelly Link and Glen Hirshberg, discussing Ghost Stories.
On Saturday I'll be doing a reading at 12:00 noon. It lasts a half hour and I'll probably be reading at least part of a new story "Coffins on the River." Then Saturday night at 11:00 pm, I'll be joining my fellow physicians at the Lambshead reading that is not a Lambshead reading where we will read from Lambshead. I think Jeff VanderMeer has listed somewhere on his message board the list of readers. I know off hand that Stepan Chapman will be there and Michael Cisco, but quite a few others as well.

Utopiales Festival, Nantes, France, Nov. 7th to Nov. 11th
I will generally be participating in this international festival of writing, film and art. On Monday, I will give a public interview. What it entails, I'm not yet quite sure. But it will be translated as I speak. Hope they know Long Islandese. Other US writers I know will be attending are Tim Powers, Lucius Shepard, Terry Bisson, James Blaylock, & James Morrow.

Lambshead reading that is a Lambshead reading -- Barnes & Noble (not sure of the address, check with VanderMeer)in New York City at (not sure of the time, check with VanderMeer) on November 21st.

Maybe I'll see at one of these things.

Best,

Jeff

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 03:08 pm:   

Here's a reminder of new work that will be out in the next week or so. I mentioned some of this stuff a while ago as upcoming publications. Now they are upon us.

"Coffins On The River" -- Polyphony #3 (anthology), edited by Deb Layne and Jay Lake. Wheatland Press. Will appear at the WFC next week.

"The Trentino Kid" -- The Dark (Ghost Story anthology), edited by Ellen Datlow. TOR Books.
This book is already out in stores and can be gotten on-line as well.

"A Night in the Tropics" -- Argosy (magazine), edited by Lou Anders. Coppervale Press. first issue of the revival of this magazine. Will appear at the WFC.

"Giant Land" -- Journal of Pulse Pounding Narratives (?), edited by Alex Irvine. Will appear at WFC.

2 Diseases in The Lambshead's Guide to Eccentric and discredited Diseases. editors Jeff VanderMeer and Mark Roberts. Is already available in stores and on-line from Nightshade Books.

Best,

Jeff

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 06:21 am:   

Also, there is an excerpt from my novel in progress,The Shadow Year, and slow progress it has been, at Fantastic Metropolis.
http://www.fantasticmetropolis.com/show.html?fn.preview_ford
This feature, Taking the Pulse, collects novel excerpts from works in progress by a number of authors. It was put together by Luis Rodrigues, who has done a remarkable job on it.

Best,

Jeff

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 06:30 am:   

My Sci Fiction story, "The Empire of Ice Cream," has been selected for publication in the Best Science Fiction of 2003 anthology edited by Strahan/Haber. That should be it for a while.

Best,

Jeff

Jonathan
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 09:13 am:   

Hey Jeff -

It's great to have you in the book. Karen and I both loved the story and are very happy to be able to reprint it.

Best
J

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 09:53 am:   

Jonathan: Thanks for having me. Glad you liked the story. Hope to run into you in DC.

Best,

Jeff

jeff ford
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 03:18 am:   

For those interested, I'll be part of a group reading for <the> in New York City on Friday, November 21st at 7:00 pm. Hope to see you there.
Borders Books and Music: #228
576 Second Ave.
New York, NY 10016
Some of the other physicians I will be operating with that day will be Dr.s Stepan Chapman, Jeff VanderMeer, and Shelly Jackson.

jeff ford
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 03:41 pm:   

For anyone interested,I have a new story out, "Coffins on the River" in the current volume of Polyphony, which is now at #3. It's a beautiful anthology, edited by Deborah Layne and Jay Lake. The line-up is impressive -- Michael Bishop, Alan Deniro, Ray Vukcevich, Nina Hoffman, Jack Dann, Barth Anderson, Robert Wexler, Kit Reed, Barry Malsberg...and many more. I've read a couple of stories from it so far, all wonderful, especially one from newcomer Sally Carteret.

I will be reading along with Jim Young in New York City at KGB bar on Wednesday, January 21st. This is part of the series run by Ellen Datlow and Gavin Grant. I believe the readings start at 7:00 pm.

Don't forget to pick up a copy of Lucius Shepard's short novel from PS Publishing -- Floater. This could be the best piece from Shepard in an all around stand out year that included such beauties as Jailwise, Ariel, Limbo, etc. I penned the intro to this book, and it struck me as one of the best written and idiosyncratic "horror" novels I've ever read. Voodoo, bad cops, curses and demons. You gotta check it.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 06:23 pm:   

Hey, Jeff, thank for the rec. I gotta say your story is totally cool. And that Sally Carteret, she's got some chops, huh? Good to see Wexler speading out, too.

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 03:57 am:   

Hey Jeff,

Are you gonna collaborate with W.J. Maryson in the near future?

Cheers!

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 07:39 am:   

Lucius: My pleasure, it's a great read. Saw Wexler in NYC and bought a copy of his book off him. I look forward to reading it very soon. Right now I'm reading Cisco's sequel to The Divinity Student, and it's got me by the throat. Really something. And yes, Carteret, I'm going to see if I can find anything else by her.

Cornelis: No collaborations are slated for the future, but I have a story of Wim's that I will be sending around for him over here.

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 08:05 am:   

Jeff,

Thanks for saying nice things about Polyphony 3 here. Carteret had a story in Polyphony 2 ("Carlos Manson Lives") which was her first published story.

Deborah

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 08:13 am:   

Deb: Thanks! I'll check it out. I have a copy. By the way, the dough for those extra copies should reach you shortly. Sorry for the delay.

Best,

Jeff

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 08:28 am:   

No problem, Jeff. Hope you're rested up and back to work and stuff...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 09:16 am:   

Jeff,

yeah, I'm gonna have to pick up the Tyrant.. The DS was a trip.

Say hi for me to WIm.

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 10:11 am:   

Deb: I'm back in the traces and moving slowly but inexorably forward. Thanks.

Lucius: Will say hi to wim, and the sequel to the Divinity Student is not The Tyrant. I have that one on the stack too. The sequel is The San Veneficio Canon, which is coming out eventually from Ministry of Whimsy. The language in this thing is great, kind of hallucinatory. I believe Michael is influnced by Burroughs, and I detect, though I may be wrong, echoes of Robbe Grillet, but in a way, the reading experience with this work is more pleasureable. With Burroughs, as much as I love those cut up books, not necessarily Naked Lunch, but the others, there are times in those books when I felt kicked out of the story by the language. Then I'd have to work to get back in, which was always worth it in the end. With Cisco, the language does not detract or alienate the reader from the story but lends an air of illusion and magic to it. Hard to describe. But I'm digging it big time.

Best,

Jeff

Night Shade Books
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 12:33 pm:   

FYI, the sequel to The Divinity Student is Golem, and both books will be published as an omnibus called The San Veneficio Canon, which will be out from Ministry in February.

Jason

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 01:02 pm:   

Well, whatever it's called.... :-) ... I'll get it.

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 01:38 pm:   

Jason: I have a review copy of it. I read through The Divinity Student again before starting the Golem and enjoyed it more than I did the first time. The Golem, where I'm at now, has a faster, more urgent, pace and is in a beautifully handled present tense. But still the incredible language from the first volume thrives and is vibrant. Great cover on this book also if the review copy is what the regular one will hold when it is officially published. All I can say is Griepentrog!

GabrielM
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 02:33 pm:   

Like Jeff I'm reading a review copy of Cisco's book. I read DIVINITY STUDENT in the original Buzzcity Press edition but took the opportunity to reread it in the new edition and am enjoying it even more than the I did the first time around. I clearly need to reread more often. The first time you're in a hurry to get to your destination, the second time you can check out the scenery at your leisure. And with DS, there's a hell of a lot of scenery.

Michael Cisco
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 09:11 pm:   

Gee whiz ...
Well, I'm afraid the Tyrant may be exactly the sort of thing that bugged you about Burroughs - too much language. It seems to be the direction I'm wanting to go in, for some reason. The next one is even worse!
The Golem is my red-haired stepchild - I wrote it and rewrote it and rewrote it until I couldn't stand it anymore. I'm so glad it holds up!

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 09:34 pm:   

Well, goddamn it, why can't I get a review copy? I mean, I review stuff, even books... :-)

rfw
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 07:11 am:   

I guess I'll have to buy it. He let me _look_ at the advance copy, even hold it briefly, but then he _gave_ it to Jeff, just like that, without even considering my needs.

Robert

Michael Cisco
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 12:23 pm:   

Oh, I considered your needs. *Then* I gave it to Jeff.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 07:32 am:   

I was only able to glimpse the cover as Robert, Jeff, and Michael coveted it from the crowd.

I look forward to the final product, however. (and perhaps I should move this to Michael's board instead of in a Jeff Ford thread?)

JK

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration