Website Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Ford, Jeffrey » Website « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 05:29 pm:   

For anyone interested -- I have a website up. It's pretty straight forward, no bells and whistles but serviceable. Rick Dery, a friend of mine at work, was nice enough to put it together for me over the past couple of weeks. I don't know if it's listed on Google yet or any of the other search engines. To check it out just type jeffreyford.com in your url search thingy and press enter.

Best,

Jeff

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 06:19 pm:   

Jeff:

Cool stuff. I was a bit perplexed at first since your links didn't change my cursor when I rolled over them, but I got it sorted out rather quickly.

I wish I had this info a year ago when I was discovering your writing. All the same, looks great. It's going in 'My Favorites' as something to check out every now and again.

JK

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 07:35 pm:   

John: I know what you mean about when you move the cursor over the selections on the side, it just remains a pointer. I'm telling myself that adds to the "mystery." Actually, I'm very happy to have it up. I've been convinced of their usefulness by talking to people who ask me if I've got one. I realized it might be a good idea. Thanks for taking the time to check it out.

Best,

Jeff

KJ Bishop
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 08:03 pm:   

Jeff, I thought the links didn't work, so looked at the source to get the target pages - I don't know if you'll get other people like me who can't think laterally enough to try clicking anyway...

Your early days sound pretty amazing, even in brief.

Rick Bowes
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 12:00 am:   

Jeff Great website. I really liked the pictures of that alternate world where you're a little kid.

The links thing didn't bother me since I never have any idea how that stuff is supposed to work.

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 05:44 am:   

KJ: Thanks for checking out the site. Maybe we can fix that problem with the links so it looks like they are activating (what's the real terminology here?).
Hey, read your "Maldoror Abroad" in Album Zutique the other night. I was entranced by the language and flow of it. It has made me want to go and look at the source.

Best,

Jeff

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 05:48 am:   

Rick: Yeah, that stuff from my childhood, that's the real fantasy part of the site. I know what you mean by your puzzlement over the technology. It is, to me, very often, as mysterious as the workings of The Turk.

Best,

Jeff

KJ Bishop
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 12:44 pm:   

Jeff,

'Activating' sounds like the right word to me.
An easy way to fix it would be to use an ordinary HTML <a > </a> tag for the links, rather than the javascript which is there at present. If your designer prefers to keep the javascript, he should be able to add a command telling the mouse pointer to change - I think, anyway. (Hope I'm not sticking my oar in rudely.)

The original 'Maldoror' is a gobsmacking book. The translation by Alexis Lykiard, from Exact Change Press, is thought of as the best one, as far as I know. Look out for the appearance of the winged octopi; I've always wondered whether Lovecraft read it. Thank you for the kind words about my story; it's the fanfic of a Maldoror groupie.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 01:11 pm:   

Jeff:

Another option would be to have the links change (either to a different color or to a new image) when you roll a mouse over them.

http://builder.cnet.com/webbuilding/pages/Programming/Scripter/092398/

For an example of what I'm talking about. Really, it's up to you and your webmaster what you want to do. Regardless it's great having an online source of Jeffrey Ford information. Like KJ, I don't want to tell you what to do.

Hmmm...KJ and I'm JK, how weird.

Now to convert my friends to you <bwha>!

JK

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 12:18 am:   

Nice site Jeff! Finally I can give some information about you to Dutch readers of the fantastic.

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 04:03 am:   

KJ & JK: Thanks for the advice. I'll run these suggestions by Rick and see if he can do them. Since he just finished putting this up and it's getting on to the end of the semester crush, this may have to wait for a month. But I think eventually we can take care of it. I have to try to get the site linked up at Locus and so forth. That's my next thing. Thanks, though, for your checking it out and your suggestions.
Maldoror is one I've always wanted to read. Now it is back on my radar after having read your story, KJ. Your description of it above makes it even more alluring. Gotta get that one.

Best,

Jeff

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 04:09 am:   

Cornelis: If the site serves that purpose, I will be very pleased with it. Thanks for checking it out.
Hey, I still have yet to get the Mulisch, but I went out on the web and was reading reading reading about him. I'm reading that the guy is a misogynist. Do you feel this is true or is this something you did not notice or is it bull? Just wondering how you felt about his work on this score.
Best,
Jeff

Ellen
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 08:11 am:   

Hi Jeff,
I clicked away and get nothing.

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 08:45 am:   

Ellen: How old is the browser you are using? I found with my browser at work, which was Netscape 4.0, that I couldn't get it to work. I downloaded Netscape 7.0 there, like I have at home, and it worked. Why? I don't know. I'm not suggesting that you download Netscape 7.0 or a more recent browser, but that could be the problem. Still,as you might have guessed, there are wonders beyond measure to see just on the other side of those recalcitrant links. Your life will be much the poorer for not having broken through to my gold dipped blither, but I'm sure you will carry on.
Are you going to Philadelphia next weekend?
Best,

Jeff

Ellen
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 08:49 am:   

It's netscape 4.76. I've been planning to upgrade to 6.0 but need someone to help me with it as I'm always afraid of losing things if I do it myself.

Yes, I'll be there. See you.

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 08:58 am:   

Ellen: Upgrade to 7.0. Losing things, though, is always an option. I don't have to rely on Netscape, though, I have two kids who download massive music programs and hard drive melting games, to fuck my machine up. I've lost everything on this machine twice from their good work, and I've only had the thing for a couple of months. Good luck. See you in The City of Brotherly Love.

Best,

Jeff

Ellen
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 12:24 pm:   

I heard 6.0 is more stable and is the same as mozilla, another browser. I don't know if I should trust 7.0--how do others feel about it?

Rob K is going to help me out in a couple of weeks--and I think he knows how to save things when upgrading.

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 01:00 pm:   

Hey Jeff,

Mulisch, an old fashioned women hater? I wonder? Women are usually very important characters in his books. Especially in The Discovery of Heaven.
Maybe he sometimes put the old rolemodel - post world war 2 - of a woman forward in his work, but that doesn't have to mean that he thinks men are better than women. No...I don't think he is Jeff.

He is an egocentric s.o.b. though!

Cheerio,

Cornelis

Luís Rodrigues
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 01:43 pm:   

Both Netscape 6 & 7 are based on Mozilla, which I personally prefer. Mozilla has roughly the same features as Netscape (and more, like popup window blocking) and is much more light-weight. What's better, it's Open Source and doesn't belong to AOL. :-)

Best,
Luís

Luís Rodrigues
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 01:44 pm:   

By the way: congratulations for the website, Jeff!

Ellen
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 03:22 pm:   

Luis,
I've heard that Mozilla is good. However, I get my mail through netscape and very much like that. I don't want a configuration for mail that is different and I'm assuming Mozilla would not look the way netscape does (or have my filtering system, etc which I already have in place).

Mastadge
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 03:24 pm:   

I use Internet Explorer and I've got no problem with it.

Ellen
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 03:57 pm:   

It's already on my machine and sometimes I try it for sites that I can't get to with netscape 4.76 but IE needs an update too. Personally, I like netscape better (but that may have something to do with my feelings about Bill Gates :-)

Also, because so many people hate Gates, there are a lot more viruses that IE is susceptible to that Netscape is not.

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 05:27 pm:   

You can install Mozilla, and it will not impact, or mess up your current version of Netscape in any way.

Mozilla was based upon the 4.x code of netscape, and is probably pretty similiar the the netscape look and feel that you currently have (moreso, I would argue, than the actual branded netscape 6 or 7). I know that when you install the current version of mozilla, it recognizes previous versions of Netscape, and asks if you want to import your netscape settings. You may be able to import everything.

www.mozilla.org has the latest version... I suggest going with versio 1.3, rather than the 1.4a(lpha) release.

The no-pop ups feature is REALLY nice.

-JL

Ellen
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 05:30 pm:   

Thanks Jeremy. I'll think about it. I'm used to getting rid of pop-ups by now and it's automatic reflex :-)

Luís Rodrigues
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 06:23 pm:   

In any case, you can install Mozilla without having to remove any previous versions of Netscape. I know this is possible because I have them here, along with Opera and Internet Exploder, which I use to test my sites. I believe it's quite possible to use the Mozilla browser with the old mail reader, too, though I haven't tried that. So long as you don't install it to the same folder as Netscape, you should be fine.

And like Jeremy says, avoid alpha (or for that matter, beta) releases. They're unstable and meant for developers and testers only.

Cheers,
Luís

Ellen
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 06:30 pm:   

Thanks Luis,
I've passed on Jeremy's note to Rob, to see what he thinks.

It won't be for another couple of weeks (after the Nebs) that we'll get around to make a date to fix me up. We'll have to do it to both my laptops--my workshorse and my travel laptop (both IBMs).

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 09:07 pm:   

Ellen, Jeremy, Mastadge, & Luis:
Thanks for the discussion ie. browsers. I think I might try to switch to Mozilla. I've read about it and almost went for it once. Netscape's been pretty good, but I'm beginning to think this 7.0 might be the cause for the siezures this machine is occassionally having. I remember reading something about how 7.0 is particularly bad with Office 2000, which is what I'm running.

Best,

Jeff

Ellen
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 09:16 pm:   

I'm on windows 98 (I think) --I've heard that 6.0 is the best right now, which I why I'm asking opinions before switching :-)

Night Shade Books
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 11:20 pm:   

Hi Jeff,

The site looks mighty tasty. I've just added a link from the Night Shade site, for what it's worth.

Jason

jeff ford
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 05:06 am:   

Jason: Was going to write to you today. I got the contributors copies of AZ yesterday from UPS. Much appreciated. The book looks great. Thanks. And thanks for adding the link. We want to add links from our end as well. A lot of changes will have to wait until the semester is over though, as we are entering the crunch time for paper grading and tests and so forth. By May, I might be able to get Rick to fix those links and to add some new ones. Hope you are doing well.

Best,

Jeff

Night Shade Books
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 03:40 am:   

Hey Jeff,

Jeff V. says you're having some email troubles, but drop me a line when you're back up and running. I've got something I want to run by you.

Jason

jeff ford
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 11:55 pm:   

For those interested, Google has finally listed my web page. Here's the url http://users.rcn.com/delicate/
Since the thing is out there now, I am going to be adding to the News page on a more regular basis. Will be changing some other stuff soon also.

Best,

Jeff

Ellen
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 08:58 am:   

Jeff, so that you know. I've upgraded to netscape 7.0 (which I like a lot) but the links on the left side of your page don't show up as "links"--when I click on them they DO work but they don't turn into a
'hand' to show me that they do work (if you get what I mean).

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 04:59 am:   

Ellen: Thanks on this. I was aware of the problem and as soon as I stir, I am going to ask Rick to fix it. But it has been a major problem. Actually, I already spoke to him about it and he said the change would not be difficult. Glad the 7.0 is working out.

Best,

Jeff

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration