SLF Fountain Award Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Ford, Jeffrey » SLF Fountain Award « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 08:37 am:   

Got an e-mail late last night from Karen Meisner of the Speculative Literature Foundation. She wrote to tell me that my story, "The Annals of Eelin-Ok" has won the SLF Fountain Award. I'm pretty amazed by the whole thing, and I want to thank them for recognizing this story, which was one of my personal favorites from last year. It appeared in Terri Windling and Ellen Datlow's YA Anthology, The Faerie Reel from Firebird Books. Because of the story winning this award, I believe the editors, and the publisher, Sharyn November, will allow the story to be put up on the web somewhere for people to check out. I hope that happens. If you want to learn more about the Foundation and the Award and also see the short stories that received honorable mentions from the judges (some of these are among my favorites from last year and I'll be reading the others) here's the url - http://www.speculativeliterature.com/Awards/SLFFountainAward.php

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 09:00 am:   

Yayyyyy Jeff.

John Picacio
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 09:04 am:   

Congrats, man!!! That's terrific news!!!

al duncan
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 11:35 am:   

Cool! Congratulations, Jeff!

StephenB
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 12:39 pm:   

Nicely done Jeff! I'd never heard of this award before. Good stuff.

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 02:52 pm:   

Well done, that man. Again.

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 03:02 pm:   

Thanks you guys. I appreciate it.

S. Hamm
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 09:36 pm:   

Yes, yes, well done. Now get off this board!!

Liz Hand
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 04:23 am:   

Jeff, many congrats -- that's one of the most beautiful stories I've ever read, period. It deserves as much acclaim and immortality as it can get. Long live Eelin-Ok.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 05:39 am:   

Congratulations Jeff. This next year you'll have to not write any good stories so that something I publish has a chance. :-)

JK

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 08:04 am:   

Sam: You're such a damn crank. Thanks!

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 08:05 am:   

Liz: I really appreciate that. See you in a couple days.

John: No sweat. I have that covered.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 04:46 pm:   

Jeff,
Your story is now online at the Speculative Literature Foundation website.

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 07:12 pm:   

Ellen: Thanks for arranging that.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 08:42 pm:   

You're welcome.

Richard Parks
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 09:19 pm:   

Congratulations.

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 03:57 am:   

Richard: Thanks. And, hey, I think your blog article on the Ishiguro of May 6th nails that review and the subject pretty succinctly. Hope you are doing well.

Mary Rickert
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 04:38 am:   

Congratulations Jeff. It's a great story.

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 05:18 am:   

Mary: Thanks and the same back at you. They're all great stories. Really looking forward to Map of Dreams from GG next year. Hope you're doing well.

rick bowes
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 01:56 pm:   

Never heard of this award but they put together a strong list. Yours is, as Ms. Hand says, one of the most beautiful stories I've ever read.

Bruce
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 02:23 pm:   

Easily one of the best stories of the year. That and 'The Faery Handbag' were worth the ticket price of 'The Faery Reel' by themselves...great anthology.

...and I just collected my copy of Vanitas [courtesy of Robert Devereux - thanks]! I see there's another at Abebooks for nearly $60.00.

Richard Parks
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 03:03 pm:   

Thanks, Jeff. Usually I ignore that kind of thing, but that review caught me on a bad day.

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 06:01 pm:   

Rick: You're right about the list. Thanks!

Bruce: If only you could actually really tget 60 dollars for copies of Vanitas, I have a box of them, it would be vacation time. Thanks for the nod on the story, and I agree with you about Kelly's story -- was one of my very favorites of the year.

Richard: I know what you mean.

rick bowes
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 08:06 pm:   

One problem with 'The Faery Reel' (all anthologies should have such problems) is that your story and Kelly's are so strong that first string entries like the Frost and Vas and half a dozen others whose authors' names I can't remember or can't spell did not get the kind of attention they might have otherwise.

Bruce
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:18 am:   

Hi Jeff,

I finished 'Vanitas' last night: great read! Very subversive stuff. You have a box of them, you say? I imagine readers of these threads might cram your mailbox with checks and money orders in order to snaffle this book while they're cooling their heels waiting for 'The Girl in the Glass'.

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:37 am:   

Bruce: I haven't looked at that novel in years. It has quite a bit to do with the trilogy and also tangentially with the book The Cosmology of the Wider World coming out from PS this year. There's also a mention of it in Mrs. Charbuque. I do remember it was crazy as hell. I know it could probably do with some revision, but then again, what can't? Maybe I'll clean it up some day. Thanks for taking the time to check it out. I'm not selling these ones I have now, but to tell you the truth, I'm pretty sure you can still get them through Space and Time for like 8 bucks a pop if anyone is really interested. There's a guy on abebooks who's selling a copy for 50 something dollars. If anyone buys that one come see me, I have land on the moon for sale.

Bruce
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:57 pm:   

Crazy as hell, eh? Works for me. Any book with wooden miracles, mysterious ghost ships of the Sargasso Sea, carnivals with the dead, hallucinogenic seaweed and the particularly nasty Ubiquitos is worth a look. Sort of like Baron Munchausen on windowpane.

Any word on when Cosmology of the Wider World will debut?

Thanks, Bruce

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 01:17 pm:   

Bruce: Funny you should mention Baron Munchausen because that was one of my influences in coming up with the idea for the novel. Can't believe that made it through. The windowpane too.
The Cosmology is coming, but from what I hear the production has been slowed down. Don't know exactly when it will be out, but I suppose sometime in the next few months. I think it was originally scheduled for July, but that doesn't look likely. Maybe closer to September? When I know I'll post it here.

Bruce
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 01:48 pm:   

Easy enough to see the windowpane influence :0)

There were a few hints and nuances pointing to the good Baron such as the whole question of canvas vs. silk. I thought of Terry Gilliam's film several times through the course of your novel.

Oddly enough, I spent a week in the village of Bodenwerder [about 80 km from Hanover where the CeBit trade show is held]. It is, allegedly, the birthplace of Baron Munchausen and you should see the colossal statue of him riding that cannonball! Fuckin' Baron kitsch everywhere...wonder if Gilliam had been trapped there for a few days.

Thanks for the word on 'Cosmology...'; looking forward to it.

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 02:29 pm:   

Bruce: One thing. I wasn't talking about the film. It wasn't out yet when I'd written the book. I'd found a used copy of it in a garage sale and it had very cool illustrations. A very old edition -- I have to see if I can find it and see the date in it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration