A Man of Light Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Ford, Jeffrey » A Man of Light « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christopher Rowe
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 07:29 am:   

Hey Jeff, just saw that this was posted today at Sci Fiction and as usual with your stuff I'm looking forward to reading it.

But I noticed that the bio they have up for you is from a couple of years ago, at least. You can't go back, man. Time, it keeps on slippin' slippin' slippin,' into the future.

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 07:58 am:   

Chris: I've been feeling rather old of late and decided getting old is for shit, so I'm now getting younger. Next story on Sci Fiction, if there is one, there will be less on my bio than before, only the picture will age.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 09:44 am:   

The Bio of Dorian Ford?

JK

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 01:18 pm:   

John: Up till now it's been the photo that's been getting younger.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 02:49 pm:   

Hi Jeff,
Just got online for the first time today (it's 9:58 am in Tasmania) and was about to let you know about the story being up but I see Christopher has beat me to it.

We could change the bio you know....did you give me an update? I don't remember.

Happy I missed the blizzard but hell, it's too hot here today--it's supposed to be cool in Tazzie but today is an apparent exception.

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 04:33 pm:   

Ellen: I'll send an update for the bio to your e-mail. If you can access it and have the web guy at SciFiction add it, great. If not, no biggie.
Thanks.

Ellen
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 10:31 pm:   

Got the biblio but the bio isn't a bio.

StephenB
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 05:18 am:   

A new Ford story, nice.

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 07:42 am:   

Stephen: Hope you enjoy.

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 11:48 am:   

Oh, I'm looking forward to seeing it. Undoubtedly, I will enjoy.

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 06:01 am:   

Jay: Good to hear from you. I saw some interesting Lambshead photos of you and Liz on Claire Weaver's blog not too far back. Hope you are well.

rick bowes
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 09:48 am:   

Jeff: Do you have a word count?

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 10:01 am:   

Meant to put this up before. Here's a link to my Sci Fiction story, "A Man of Light." Ellen updated the bio for me from Tasmania (a brave new world).
http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/originals/

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 10:08 am:   

Here already are two thoughtful, but widely divergent reviews of the story --
The first is by Eugie Foster at the new Tangent:
http://www.tangentonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid =109

The second is from the writer Patrick Samphire, who is doing story reviews on his blog:
http://www.journalscape.com/sfreviews/2005-01-28-15:37

StephenB
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 08:29 pm:   

I just read the story. I really liked it, effective, with lots to think about after. This touches on both the cosmic level and the inner psyche level. Good stuff!

StephenB
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 09:11 pm:   

The story makes obvious references to the third eye or pineal gland. What are your thoughts on the subject? (if you feel like it).

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 09:42 pm:   

Stephen: Thanks for taking the time to check out the story and drop a line. I know what you are talking about and have been interested in this subject for quite a while. The first place I became aware of it was in one of those Thames Art books that dealt with the subject of The Eye. I've read stuff about it since, and there is even a short film of a young woman on the internet somewhere trepanning herself with a power drill -- I'm not that into it. I know Pullman used the idea in His Dark Materials and I've read essays about it by Terrance McKenna. It's cool stuff and great fodder for fiction. Many ancient cultures were into the power of the third eye and trepanning for visionary purposes goes back to the dawn of humanity. I wasn't consciously making any point by using it, it just happened to surface while I was writing this story so I tossed it in, same thing with the Sufi stuff in it. What it all means in the long run is anybody's guess.

StephenB
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 08:33 am:   

Hey, thank you, it was my pleasure.

Yes, I agree, It's an interesting subject, from both a mystical and scientific perspective. Great for those who are into speculative fiction.

So I guess the man of lights final message was: darkness is just as prevalent a force as light, both in the universe and in our minds? He ends up framing his interviewer (messenger), resulting in the messenger's death, which supports his message. But didn't May and the messenger only exist in the man of light's mind? So did he kill aspects of his own mind? I guess you probably wanted a somewhat ambiguous ending?

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 09:01 am:   

Stephen: I can honestly say, I don't know. I could see a good case to be made either way. I just tell the stories that come to me -- I don't have the wherewithall to interpret them.

StephenB
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 09:41 am:   

Fair enough Jeff. I think the stories that raise a bunch of questions that have no clear answers, are often the ones talked about for years to come, and stick with people -- all good things.

I think I know what you mean, based on my own limited experience with writing.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 09:53 am:   

Jeff,
Don't give me all the credit. I just passed the new bio stuff on to Paul for the copy edit and then to my producer at SCIFI.COM :-)

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 07:03 pm:   

Another review for "A Man of Light." This time from BestSF. http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:2N4md37grbMJ:www.bestsf.net/reviews/scifict ion0501.html+%22jeffrey+ford%22&hl=en

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 07:11 pm:   

Hi Jeff,
I hadn't seen that. Nice review! Congrats.

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 07:13 pm:   

Ellen: Thanks.

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 05:47 am:   

Here's another review of the story from Bluejack at Internet Review of Science Fiction IROSF
http://www.irosf.com/q/zine/article/10123?login=true
Scroll down.

Even if you have no interest in reading a review of this story, you should check out the IROSF. It's a monthly internet publication and has been, since its recent inception, pretty damn good. There are articles, reviews, interviews, etc. They get good, knowledgeable writers -- Jay Lake, Matthew Cheney, Cheryl Morgan, John Joseph Adams, et.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration