Kim Deitch at Brookdale Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Ford, Jeffrey » Kim Deitch at Brookdale « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 02:39 pm:   

"Kim Deitch has created a private world as fully realized in its own way as Faulkner's. He's an American original, a spinner of yarns whose beautifully structured pages and intricate plots conjure up a haunting and haunted American past."
—Art Spiegelman

Kim Deitch will be at Brookdale Community College on Thursady, October 21st at 7:00 pm in the Performing Arts Center. He will speak about the art and craft of creating graphic novels and comics. Deitch will illustrate his talk with slides of his own work from his recent graphic novel, Boulevard of Broken Dreams (Pantheon 2002), and as yet unpublished work. He will also be screening some of his own early animations and a few from the days of Windsor McCay. Brookdale is located in middle New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Easily gotten to from NYC. and all New Jersey Locations.

MarcL
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 10:53 pm:   

Cool. Sorry I am nowhere near.

MarcL
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 10:54 pm:   

So, Jeff, can we call you Sir Jeffrey of Monmouth?

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 07:16 am:   

Marc: I'm not really of Monmouth, I'm more Le Duc de Medford Lakes. As I walk through my dukedom...
Hey, I saw some interesting submissions from you on Boing Boing recently. And, yes, I wish you were in town for the Deitch thing too because his work is remarkable and really should be more widely known. It would be nice to have some long time fans on board, but I think it will be mostly students who have never witnessed Waldo before, which is cool in and of itself.

MarcL
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 10:33 am:   

I can't keep up with the vast rich field of comics, but Deitch, Clowes and Woodring are some of what I like.

I wish Mark Landman were more prolific, too. He's an amazing artist from Northern California who used CG to brilliant effect in one little book called BLUE LOCO, which was being put out by Kitchen Sink just as it died one of its many deaths. I was going to do a graphic novel with him called POP MUTANTS, back when Wired was starting a line of books. But the book line died, and I moved from S.F., and Mark Landman went back to being a fireman (I guess)...I keep hoping to see more from him. Dig up BLUE LOCO at any and all costs!

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 12:23 pm:   

Marc, I looked up Landman on the web and some sites say that Kitchen Sink did publish Blue Loco and I saw a cover shot for it on one site and others were saying that it had gotten held up because of KS's bankruptcy. It said that Landman was a co-editor of Buzz and that for a button for that magazine he created one with a monkey with an exposed brain many years before the one on the Pwer Puff Girls. I saw some other projects listed and quite a bit about his fetal elvis and the fact that he was one of the earliest comics guys to use the computer. Interesting. I'll see if I can get a copy of Blue Loco somewhere. Thanks for the tip.

Mark Landman
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 12:22 pm:   

Hello Marc and Jeff!

Excuse the post, but I'd enjoy catching up- email me at (mlandman "at" sonic "dot" net)!

For anyone interested, yes, Blue Loco did come out, most of the copies vanished during the Kitchen Sink implosion. Last Gasp has some-

http://www.lastgasp.com/d/7811/

New Fetal Elvis appears in the upcoming BLAB! (and the recently released New & Used BLAB!), and a new comic on the chilling history of Dick Cheney is in The Bush Junta from Fantagraphics. An example page is at-

http://www.mackwhite.com/BushJunta3.html

Best-

Mark

jeff ford
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 01:09 pm:   

Mark: Thanks for stopping by. I gotta get me one of those Blue Locos, and the Cheney stuff looks terrific. That panel of him as a rat leaving the sinking ship looks worth the price of admission. I noticed that the url for The Bush Junta has Mack White's name in it. I really like his work. I remember he was doing this ancient greek story with sphinx's and stuff back a while in one of the magazines (I think it was Zero Zero). Is The Bush Junta an anthology? And do you know any of the other artists in it if so? Please stop in whenever you feel like dropping a line and letting us know what you're doing or just to sound off. Glad to see you are still hard at work. By the way, are you a Deitch fan as well? And or whose work interests you now?

MarcL
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 11:41 am:   

Woo hoo! Hi, Mark! I'm glad to see you're not only thriving but still alive!

...or, wait, maybe it's the other way around...

Anyway, this is an unexpected benefit of the NightShade forums.

Mark Landman
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 11:54 am:   

Jeff: The Bush Junta is an anthology edited by Mack White and Gary Groth, featuring Mack White, Lloyd Dangle, Peter Kuper, Ted Jouflas, Spain, Ted Rall, Carol Swain, myself, & many others.

Yes, I've always enjoyed Kim Deitch (as well as his father Gene and his brother Seth). As far as current interests I've not followed the comics scene terribly closely in the last few years, my favorites are probably still the people I featured in Buzz (Kitchen Sink anthology I edited back in the early 90's); Clowes, Burns, White, Woodring, etc. Missing in action are Friedman and Tompkins, and I never did get Kaz or Crumb into Buzz. Hey, I only had 3 issues!

Certainly there's a lot more interesting work out there, especially including more "serious' artists like Seth & Chris Ware.

Glad you liked the Cheney image, here's another lo-rez one for your amusement...

boxingcheney

Mark: Howdy Interuptus pt. 2 indeed! I just retired from the Novato Fire District after almost 29 years, so I'm weighing my options and figuring out what sort of projects I'd like to get involved with next.

I thought of our old Pop Mutants proposal recently when I was reading Rudy Rucker's Frek and the Elixir, the bio-engineered future of Frek's Earth reminded me somewhat of our de-populated landscape...

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 01:06 pm:   

Mark: Amazing panel. Best of luck with the anthology. Fantagraphics does great stuff in comics and the line-up for this Bush Junta book looks terrific. I went to Mack white's website from the link you supplied above and read an interesting conspiracy theory comic about the possible assasination of John Lennon. I believe the work was white's, but with the color and the style he does it in this piece reminds me of some of Spain's more recent comics like the color stuff he did on Salon. Still, very impressive. For another fantastical look at mutations see Jeff VanderMeer's Veniss Underground. Thanks for the panel.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration