The Cosmology of the Wider World Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Ford, Jeffrey » The Cosmology of the Wider World « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 01:40 am:   

Just signed the contract for a stand-alone novella, The Cosmology of the Wider World, to appear from PS Publishers. Not sure of the date of pub or anything else yet. I'll fill you in as I find out.

Jonathan
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 01:53 am:   

Woo hoo! Yeah. Wonderful news. Can't wait to see the story.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 06:00 am:   

Very cool!

JK

Christopher Rowe
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 08:52 am:   

That's fantastic, Jeff. PS Publishing's novella program is a gift to readers.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 09:06 am:   

Very cool.

Richard Parks
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 09:40 am:   

Congratulations, Jeff!

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 02:13 pm:   

Thanks guys. We'll see. It's different, for me at least.

ben peek
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 05:23 pm:   

hey, neatness.

S. Hamm
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 07:32 pm:   

I am not interested unless it has talking animals in it. Can you deliver on that count?

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 08:21 pm:   

Hey, ben. Thanks!

Sam: To quote Superman in that most excellent episode of the George Reeves show. The one where he;s sitting in the chair and all the bad guys see is his sillouhette (sp?) -- "No comment until the time limit is up."

rick bowes
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 10:31 am:   

Don't care if the animals talk as long as there's plenty of hot tortoise sex scenes!

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 12:53 pm:   

Rick: Are you refering to my family photo album? Let's not get personal.

JV
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 01:04 pm:   

Congrats, Jeff. I can't wait. Well, I mean, I *will* wait, but...

JeffV

S. Hamm
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 02:30 pm:   

Rick,

The original title of Jeff's novella was The Beast with Two Carapaces. PS had commissioned a stunning cover painting. It showed two boots sitting in front of a doorframe in a field of wheat.

rick bowes
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 03:49 pm:   

Jeff - Enough prevaricating. Rumor has it that COTWW is the ultimate hard-core, hard-shell, turtle-tickle. Thousands of concerned citizens want to know - is it or isn't it?

rick bowes
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 03:57 pm:   

Sam

Sounds oddly familiar. But given some of the art work I like to view I'm not even going to speculate as to where I might have seen it.

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 11:38 am:   

You go dude!

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 11:55 am:   

Thanks, Cornelis.

Mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 03:11 pm:   

I noticed "The Cosmology of the Wider World," MSS, Fall 1990 in a bibliography online -- is the novella an expansion of that story, or does it just share a title?

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 05:11 pm:   

Mastadge: Yeah, the piece published in MSS is a short story that was the beginning of this piece. There was actually more of it written at the time and there is actually much more than will appear in the PS novella, but the novella is a self-contained story. This is a project I've worked on and off on for years, going back to the late 80's and as recently as this year. There's still quite a bit left to write before I finish the entire thing as it was originally conceived. I'm glad you pointed this pub out, though, because this story involves a Minotaur, and I know I'm likely to take shit because there have been other recent works using this mythological figure, but this proves I'm not appropriating anyone's ideas. So thanks! Although, I'm all for appropriating ideas. You can hardly help it sometimes.

rick bowes
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 09:23 am:   

Why should some people have all the ideas and others be left with none!

Mastadge
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 01:30 pm:   

Jeff,

Thanks for the quick reply. Any idea how long it will be until we see the full, complete version of Cosmology?

Also, are you going to go back to The Shadow Year, or is that one gone for good?

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 01:39 pm:   

Mastadge: I have no plans as of now to try to publish the entire saga, as I have a long part that has to be finished. Besides, beyond the novella coming out from PS, which I'm excited about, I don't have any great desire to publish the rest. It's really been a personal project for so long. I believe the novella will be out in 05, and from what I know now, the graphic novelist and underground comics creator, Kim Deitch, will be doing the cover, and Jeff VanderMeer will be contributing an introduction.
As far as The Shadow Year goes, I have no plans to go back to it now, but it will be there lurking. Sometimes I bring it up on the computer and read through a part of it. I've considered just putting up what I've done, which is rather complete unto itself, on the web somewhere for free if anyone would be interested in it. Too busy with other stuff to contemplate it now, though.
Thanks for asking!

EricS
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 01:06 pm:   

Hey, very cool about the unexpected incorporation of Kim Deitch into the project.

I love his take on the old cartoons and cartoonists that he did in one of his graphic novels. I'd been thinking about him and that graphic novel lately because I've been buying these dollar DVDs at the dollar store (not coincidently) of vanBuren cartoons--best are these black and whites from before how to tell a cartoon story became so codified--lots of unexpected pleasures.

jeff ford
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 09:25 pm:   

Eric: I just saw a rough tonight of the cover Kim is working on and it looks great. The book of his you're probably talking about is Boulevard of Broken Dreams, which is about early animators and animation -- the graphics are great in that one but so is the writing. I'm equally partial to his story telling abilities.
Which are the vanBuren cartoons? Can you give a little more description. I'm not sure I know of them.

EricS
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 08:23 am:   

Yup, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, that's the one.

The correct spelling for the studio producing the cartoons is van Beuren (I misspelled the name in the previous post). They were around in the late 20s and 30s, and I think they may have been part of the inspiration for Deitch's story. They were the creators of Tom and Jerry, also Molly Moo-cow, but it's not those cartoons that really strike my fancy.

The early black and white one that I really loved (on van Beuren vol II in the dollar store, I believe) was a bunch of animated characters demonstrating how a cartoon is made. At the end they all gather round and watch the cartoon on a screen. The stroke of genius is the animated characters shown on screen are close to stick characters, one dimension less than the cartoon characters watching them. And then at the end of the cartoon there is simply a single word that I assume is meant to be an advertisement (I won't spoil this by saying what the word is, but it cracks me up every time).

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 06:31 am:   

Eric: Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to dig some of this van Beuren stuff up. Always interested to learn more about this subject.

jv
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 06:35 am:   

text description

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 07:06 am:   

A big thanks to JeffV for posting this cover and for explaining how it's done so I can try it in the future. The illustration above is a wraparound cover for the PS edition of The Cosmology of the Wider World. It looks even cooler when at the size it will be on the book. If you've never heard of the artist, Kim Deitch, here's a webpage with some info. http://www.randomhouse.com/pantheon/graphicnovels/deitch.html
I highly recommend his latest graphic novel, Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

Richard Parks
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 07:58 am:   

I've seen Deitch's stuff before, but probably need to take a closer look. That's a cool cover.

rick bowes
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 08:53 am:   

This is great! He obviously read the book and understood it.

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 11:00 am:   

Richard: Thanks for dropping a line. Deitch's stuff can also be found through Fantagraphics, a publisher I'm sure you probably know about.

Rick: Yeah, I know he read the book, and he probably did understand it as much as anyone will.

Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 12:34 pm:   

Wow, this looks great, Jeff. Looking forward to it!

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 12:57 pm:   

Hi, Mahesh. Thanks, I'm really looking forward to this coming out. From the latest I heard, it's probably not going to be available till September now. But that's not too far now.

rick bowes
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 02:43 pm:   

Cosmology is the usual story: a Minotaur with a bad sex life. But you tell it really nicely.

Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 07:39 pm:   

Not too far at all, which is cool. I just pre-ordered it, and "The Girl in the Glass," another one I'm looking forward to reading.

And I just finished reading "The Scribble Mind," which was sad, but also lovely at the same time. I'm going to have to go and read up on Fibonacci sequences now...

Yes, you guessed it: it's Jeff Ford Day in my neck of the woods!

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 08:24 pm:   

Bowes, what would I do without you? When's Streetcar Dreams coming out, which is basically the same plotline, isn't it? Just kidding. The dates at PS seem to be somewhat mutable, but the wait is worth it. I've been seeing a lot of their novella titles while reading for the WFA.

My older son is reading this, and he wants to move to where it's Jeff Ford day only once a year. Thanks for getting the books and checking the story.

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 08:25 pm:   

Sorry, that second note in the previous message was for Mahesh.

rick bowes
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 09:43 am:   

Yeah, Streetcar has the same plotline: monster with bad social skills. Isn't that every writer's story?

I think SD will be out a month or so after Cosmology. PS does beautiful stuff but everything keeps getting bumped back.

I gave my mother The Fantasy Writer's Assistant and she loves it.

See you next Wednesday at KGB.

Bruce
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 10:56 am:   

Cool jacket! I see minotaurs read books by suspicious types like Dante, Kafka [I think, tough to make out], L. Shepard and J. Vandermeer.

Mastadge
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 11:29 am:   

And K.J. Bishop, and Zoran Zivkovic. . .

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 11:50 am:   

Bruce and Mastadge: You guys have good eyesight. You should see what names are on those two blue volumes hidden by the piece of paper. Also, if you can make out the writing on one of the sheets of paper flying around, there's a secret message. Good luck.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 04:07 pm:   

Man am I feeling old! I can only make out 'VIATOR' and I got 'THE ETCHED CITY' becuase Mastadge helped...but I can't make out anything else.

These poor eyes...could glasses be far behind?

JK

jeffrey ford
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 04:54 pm:   

John: Don't worry, the image will be bigger on the actual cover, and every copy comes with a guide dog.
To tell you the truth, I can't read any of it either.

Mastadge
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 04:59 pm:   

The two blue volumes I can almost get, but frankly, that image isn't high-enough res to make it worth straining my eyes that much.

And I still haven't found the second secret Luís put on the Fisher of Devils cover, either.

Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 05:06 pm:   

Yeah, I can't make 'em out either. Curse you, genetics!

With a little luck (and a magnifying glass) though, I'll puzzle it out when my copy arrives...

"My older son is reading this, and he wants to move to where it's Jeff Ford day only once a year."

Haha, spoken like a true older son. lol.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 08:33 am:   

Maybe you said (and I'm definitely too lazy to look) but do you have a date on this book yet? Could I expect to see it in Glasgow?

JK

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 08:39 am:   

John: I think origianlly it was scheduled to come out in July, but lately I'm hearing September, so Glasgow might be a little early. But I'll see you there, and if I have one, you'll be seeing it.

JV
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 08:09 pm:   

A blog feature on Jeff's Cosmology:

http://vanderworld.blogspot.com/2005/06/jeffrey-ford-walks-long-plank.html

JeffV

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 08:51 pm:   

Jeff: It looks great. I really appreciate it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration