Compartments & Hidden Camera Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Ford, Jeffrey » Compartments & Hidden Camera « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 11:24 am:   

Just scored two new Zoran Zivkovic books -- Compartments and Hidden Camera. They look great. Started reading Compartments (which is really a novella in book form) already and will write about both here when I'm done.

Robert Burke Richardson
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 03:48 pm:   

What Zivkovic would you recommend as a first for those of us who remain ignorant and uninitiated?

Based solely on this description, I'm leaning toward 'The Fouth Circle.'

From http://www.zoranzivkovic.com/:

What could a computer wizard self-exiled in an abandoned Buddhist temple possibly have in common with the humble servant of a medieval fresco painter? What is the link between the enigmatic mission of a giant radio-telescope and a tribe of spherical beings who dwell in a world full of unearthly scents and herbs? What will bring four great scientists from various centuries, Archimedes, Ludolph van Ceulen, Nikola Tesla and Stephen Hawking, to the same spot in time? What has this got to do with Rama, a female computer program, impregnated by a strange ape? And, above all, why is it necessary for Sherlock Holmes and Moriarti to join forces so that the Fourth Circle can finally be closed?

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 08:17 pm:   

Robert: The Fourth Circle is an excellent choice as it is available in English and on-line. Originally published by Ministry of Whimsy, Prime has recently done an edition. There's also The Book/The Writer which is actually two separate works published in one volume by Prime and that is also available on amazon and in English. Hidden Camera, the new one, is going to be published by Dalkey Archive Press in 05, so there's that also to look forward to. Also, one of my favorites, The Library, which is in the Leviathan #3 anthology. Any one of these is great and well worth the time and the price.

Robert Burke Richardson
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 10:06 pm:   

^Thanks for the advice, Jeff :-)

Zoran
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 10:28 pm:   

Jeff, Robert: I am really grateful for your kind words about my fiction.

Here are some details of what has been brought out so far and what will be published in the near future in the English translation:

1. THE BOOK / THE WRITER (Prime Books, November 2003)

2. THE FOURTH CIRCLE (Night Shade Books / Ministry of Whimsy, February 2004)

3. IMPOSSIBLE STORIES, Night Shade Books, November 2005)

This is a "mega" collection comprising my five story-suits: TIME GIFTS, IMPOSSIBLE ENCOUNTERS, SEVEN TOUCHES OF MUSIC, THE LIBRARY (WFA winner) and STEPS THROUGH THE MIST.

4. HIDDEN CAMERA (Dalkey Archive Press, early 2005)

5. COMPARTMENTS (the UK magazine "Postscripts" #2)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration