Son of New New Stuff Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Ford, Jeffrey » Son of New New Stuff « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 09:13 pm:   

My story "Quiet Days in Purgatory" has been published in the October 2003 issue of POLARIS, a Serbian magazine. Even though I can't read a word of it, I'm thrilled to be in this issue, which has James Sallis, Forrest Aguirre, D. F. Lewis, Milan Cirkovic and Stanislaw Lem. If I'm not mistaken, the cover art, very cool, was done by one K.J. Bishop. A big thanks to Zoran for this one.

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 09:30 pm:   

That's weird, man, I can't remember doing the cover for that one. What's it a picture of?

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:12 pm:   

KJ: It's got a couple of government issue looking brick, one story, buildings -- kind of like Southgate School where I did Kindergarten through the 6th grade. Then there are two benches, two really tall lamp posts, an old cannon on wheels, pointing up into this dark, aquamarine sky that fades a little down to yellow as it approaches the horizon. Very clean and dream like. It says the artist is K. Dz. Bisop. I know the Dz's a J because my first name, as spelled in the book, starts with the same configuaration. If you remember, please tell me if you had a title for it. By the way, I saw the cover you did for that anthology for Elastic Press. That's a nice one as well. I'm going to drop you a line friday. I'm in the end of the semester now and am literally going blind marking papers.

KJ
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 12:22 am:   

Thanks for jogging my prematurely decrepit memory, Jeff. Now I know where it came from. It's a still from a short animation I made called Drytown. That's why it's clean and really simple - I couldn't have too many polygons in there or it'd have killed my computer. It's kind of based on a mixture of outback towns and suburbia.
Don't go blind. I thought I was going to have to get glasses, but it turns out I've just got a sinus infection, and a whole lot of gnarly snot pushing my skull into my eyeballs.

Zoran
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 05:36 am:   

Thank you so much, Kirsten & Jeff, for your generous contributions to "Polaris". It seems, Kirsten, you haven't got yet #4? It should be with you any day now (as we all know, Australia is pretty far away). I am also very grateful to James Sallis, Forrest Aguirre and D. F. Lewis for their excellent stories.

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 08:24 am:   

Here's a few new publications on the international front.

The Portrait of Mrs. Charbuque has recently appeared in a beautiful edition from the Serbian publisher, Moc Knjige. Again, I owe Zoran a great debt of gratitude for his assistance in getting my work out to Serbian readers.

There is a new anthology from the Greek publisher, Oxy. To tell you the truth, I can't remember which story of mine is in it, but there's one in there. It's a beautiful looking book with an illustration of a coiled snake on the cover. I believe the proceeds from the anthology go toward helping injured or homeless animals. I wish I could tell you the title, but I don't know Greek. Also wish I did because the line-up of authors is awesome. Michael Marshall-Smith, Michael Shea, Graham Joyce, Graham Masterton, Neil Gaiman, Jonathan Carroll, Ramsey Campbell, Clive Barker, S.P. Somtow etc.

My story, "Creation," appeared in a recent issue of The Tenth Dimension, the Israeli equivilant of F&SF.

Michael Bishop
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 10:02 am:   

Got your GGP collection for Christmas, Jeff, and read it through in two days, including stories that I had read before. Wonderful work. Today a copy of the first issue of ARGOSY arrived, and so I have another Jeff Ford story to read before the holidays are over. About all I can say is thank you. And, of course, keep it up.

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 10:52 am:   

Mike: Thanks so much for taking the time to read the book. I'm glad you liked it. It means a lot coming from you. I remember when I was deciding to publish it with GG, I asked them to send me one of their books and Marty sent Blue Kansas Sky. That definitely sealed the deal. Actually, it's my only good thought concerning Kansas these days after last week's college bowl game results. Have a great New Year!

ellen
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 05:13 pm:   

Have you mentioned that you'll be reading at KGB January 21st? It's on my BB but don't recall if it's here someplace. :-)

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 06:50 pm:   

Ellen: I believe I did on another thread, or this thread when it was just New New. And Jim Young will also be reading. Thanks.

ellen
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 07:06 pm:   

I thought I read it somewhere ;-)

mike bishop
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 05:53 am:   

And "A Night in the Tropics" is equal to the very best stuff in The Fantasy Writer's Assistant and Other Stories, my favorite piece in the premier issue of Argosy so far, although there's a brain-banger of an interview with the inimitable Chip Delaney, too. And, hey, I'm with you about Kansas -- it's been years since I've even visited. I did, however, grow up there, in a small town south of Wichita, Mulvane, from the second grade to the seventh, in the 1950s and early 1960s. -- Wish I could hear you and Jim Young read at KGB.

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 06:17 am:   

Mike: My father's side of the family are all from Kansas. I still have relatives living there. Some of them are giant farm type people. My grandmother once told me a story about Kansas, a la the Wizard of Oz, and her name was actually Dorothy too, about a twister that struck and devastated the entire area near where they lived. But one old woman who was sitting in her rocking chair and knitting at the time was lifted up by the funnel and deposited perfectly fine, no the worse for wear, two miles down the road. Only in Kansas. Thanks for reading "A Night in the Tropics," I appreciate it. And yeah, the Delaney interview is something, I agree.

mike bishop
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 10:43 am:   

Actually, I lived only eight miles from Udall, Kansas, which was wiped completely off the map one night back in '56 or '57, and I spent a lot of time in backyard storm cellars, the kind that looked like Indian mounds with tin doors on one end. My step-brother, however, used to go up to the roof and straddle the ridge tornado-spotting, so to speak. Some of this stuff got into "Blue Kansas Sky," including a story remarkably similar to your old woman's account of being deposited two miles down the road by a twister. The storms are indubitably amazing things, but they used to get my gut in a bodacious knot. I always envied my step-bother's devil-may-care nonchalance in the face of imminent destruction. I could never manage it.

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 07:20 am:   

Just got the OK on an introduction I wrote for John Gardner's Grendel. It will be published in the UK, first time in over ten years, as part of The Fantasy Masterworks Series edited by Malcolm Edwards and Jo Fletcher. I had some personal history with Gardner and it is a real pleasure to be part of this project. Nearly all of his novels are out of print these days in the US. If you are a lover of the literature of the fantastic, I would highly suggest tracking down copies of his other works as well -- The King's Indian, Freddy's Book, Mickelsson's Ghosts, and a great short story, "Julius Caesar and the Werewolf." The intro may be published before hand on the web somewhere as to try to give notice of the forthcoming publication of Grendel, which, I believe, will be out from Orion some time in the spring of 04. If this happens, I'll post a note here.

Neil Ayres
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 07:55 am:   

Grendel is a book I've long been meaning to read. Hopefully this will provide me with enough incentive to finally do so.

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 08:02 am:   

Neil: I think you will really enjoy it. The other books I mentioned above are worth the time too, especially Michelsson's Ghosts, which is one of the best novels I've ever read.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:39 am:   

Grendel was actually required reading in my high school (we read Beowulf and then Grendel). It's really difficult to enjoy something that is required reading in high school, but I did enjoy it.

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 11:22 am:   

Robert: Interestingly enough, Grendel is the only major fictional work of Gardner's still in print in the US I think. And that is mainly due to the fact that high school teachers have taken it up. Perhaps it will be like The Raven was for Poe, which was championed by school marms of the late 19th and early 20th century until an interest in Poe's tales was re-ignited. They liked it because it was a good poem for students to declaim. Without them, his other work might have been lost to history. Another interesting aspect of Grendel is that it is one of the most banned books in the history of the US. The fact that school districts would go to those lengths over it is a sign to me of its continuing vitality. I'm hoping that the appearance of this edition of Grendel will interest publishers in bringing Gardner's work out again. Some of it is really great.

mike bishop
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 10:48 am:   

Gardner died too young, but produced a remarkable body of work nonetheless. Thank God for Grendel for all the reasons you cite.

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 11:19 am:   

Mike: Eventually some publisher will get hip to this fact and reissue some of the other novels and the story collections. I know there is a biography about him coming out this year. His writing advice is always with me when I write, but I haven't really thought about him in a long while. This intro was a nice way for me to pay back a little. Now that he has been on my mind more lately, I'm kind of amazed these books are not being made available by a publisher. There might be some good dough in it too.

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 06:50 am:   

I'm not altogether certain of this, but it appears that Mrs. Charbuque has been nominated for the BSFA. The short list, as they call it, is about as long as my leg in the novel category and chocked full of great books like Pattern Recognition, The Light Ages, Poison Master. The Mrs. has about a snowball's chance in hell, but I am pleased that the UK readers thought enough of her to give her a place at the table.

My story, "The Fantasy Writer's Assistant," will be part of a reprint anthology edited by Gordon Van Gelder for his own F&SF. The book, In Lands That Never Were, will be published in the fall of 2004 by Four Walls Eight Windows Press. It includes great F&SF stories by Fritz Leiber, Robert E. Howard and L. Sprague de Camp, Ursula LeGuin, John Morressy, Charles Coleman Finlay, Pat Murphy, etc.
My understanding is that the theme is Heroic Fantasy -- if I have that appellation correct.

Working on a little project with Zoran Zivkovic and Graham Joyce to be published by The Talking Dead, proceeds to go to charity. It should appear at Eastercon in Blackpool.

The Virtual Anthology will be resurrected at Gabe's new Singularity.

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 08:24 am:   

Jeff
Congratulations on the nomination.

What's The Talking Dead?

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 08:41 am:   

Ellen: Besides my in-laws? I think it's a specialty or independent publisher in the UK. Not really sure. I'll find out and let you know.

Richard Parks
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:28 am:   

Congrats on the nomination, Jeff. You rock!

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 07:57 pm:   

Richard: Thanks. Hope all is going well for you and that the writing is flowing.

Jonathan
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 06:41 pm:   

Hey Jeff: Just thought I'd drop you a quick note to say that I'd read "The Annals of Eelin-Ok" and was knocked out by it. I love the idea for the story and think it's one of the most charming and delightful things I've read in a good while. Sharyn was also kind enough to show me the Vess illustration for the story, which is pretty cool too. Also, don't know if this is the time to ask, but last year in the old New New Stuff thread, you mentioned the possiblity of a new collection this year. Does that look like it might be happening? Best - J

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 07:32 pm:   

Jonathan: Thanks for reading "Eelin-Ok." I'm really glad you liked it. I had a blast writing it. I've had the greatest time working on these YA fictions for The Faery Reel and The Green Man anthology. Ellen and Terri always do a tremendous job. I've read a couple of the other stories in this one and seen the list of contributors. I've also seen quite a bit of the interior illustration by Charles Vess, and it is wonderful. He's really outdone himself on the cover too. Vess and I have actually discussed turning "The Annals of Eelin-Ok" into a picture book, with a somewhat extended text, but haven't gotten any takers as of yet.
As for my collection, I have one ready to go, but unfortunately it is kind of tangled up in contractual stuff right now. I'm not sure when and where it will be published. That's all I can really say about that right now. One thing I know is that whoever publishes it, I'd really like to get John Picacio to do the cover. And although this may sound kind of egomaniacal, I really think this next one will be a stronger collection than the Fantasy Writer. But then, I'm not exactly the best one to pass judgement on that.
Busy now writing a novel.
Thanks for dropping a line. I'm looking forward to your Year's Best Anthology. Also would like to get my hands on a copy of The Best Novellas antho when it becomes available.

Best,

Jeff

Mastadge
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 09:18 am:   

Jeff: Any idea when we can expect to see your new novel in print?

Nathan

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 09:33 pm:   

Nathan:

Thanks for asking. I have a deadline of June 1st for the novel Iím presently working on, so I guess the book will be out about nine months after that. Iíd started another one, The Shadow Year, worked on it for a year or so and then laid off it. This present one, which is going well, is really more a mystery than a fantasy. It was inspired somewhat by the novels of Dashiell Hammet Ė The Thin Man, Red Harvest, The Maltese Falcon. When I say inspired, I mean loosely, more in the structure than anything else, although it does take place in the early 30ís. So far, so good. Weíll see what happens.
Thereís a couple of other things going on too. My story ďThe Empire of Ice Cream,Ē from Sci Fiction, has just appeared in Jonathan Strahan and Karen Haberís Science Fiction: Best of 2003.
The Portrait of Mrs. Charbuque will be coming out in mass market paperback in the UK from Pan Macmillan any day now, and a French edition is also due out from Flammarion in April.
I mentioned this upstream a bit, but itís coming out next month or in May, Iím not sure, an introduction to a Fantasy Masterworks edition of John Gardnerís Grendel.
From the 9th to the 11th of April, Iíll be in the UK attending Eastercon in Blackpool. Iíll be doing a reading at the con and will also participate on one panel about American and Canadian Fantasy. On the night of the 12th, Iíll be reading at Borders with Jeff VanderMeer in London. And I think on the 14th Iíll be signing books at Forbidden Planet in London along with Jeff.
On the last weekend in April that runs into May, Iíll be attending a conference in New Paultz New York. Other attendees that I know of will be John Clute, Liz Hand, Ellen Datlow, Gordon Van Gelder, Greg Frost and Alex Irvine. I know Iíll be doing a reading with Greg Frost at this one from our stories that will appear in The Faery Reel, a forthcoming anthology edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling, published by Viking, the people who brought you The Green Man.
There will be another Faery Reel reading somewhere in North Jersey in May or June with a host of contributors to that anthology, but I havenít gotten the details on that one yet. Iíll post them when I find out.
Beyond that, Iíll be teaching at Clarion for the last two weeks along with Kelly Link this summer.
And I think very soon, maybe in the next week or so, there will be a story of mine on Fantastic Metropolis Ė ďRabbit Test.Ē
Hope you get a chance to check some of this stuff out or that I run into you somewhere along the line this Spring or Summer.

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 03:18 am:   

Looking forward to it Jeff!

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 08:11 am:   

Hey, Cornelis, thanks! Hope you're doing well.

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 10:50 am:   

Doing just fine Jeff! Got my second story published and a third one is on its way!

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 11:34 am:   

Cornelis: Excellent! Congrats. Where did they appear? Where's the new one going to be?

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 12:52 pm:   

The first two appeared in SF TERRA (www.sfterra.nl) and the next one will appear in Holland SF (www.ncsf.nl).

Both Dutch magazines. Still have a long way to go Jeff... but hey, I'm just 22 so I've got some time to sharpen my skills. I can't compete with your standard, but I'm slowly making my way there... I hope. ;)

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 01:53 pm:   

3 stories by 22? Shit, that's better than I did. Hey, nothing is less important to you than my standards. Just try to concentrate on having a good time. That's where it's at.

rick bowes
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 10:56 pm:   

Didn't make my first sale until I was 40. Had one hell of a time before then, though, from the fragments I remember.

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 02:02 am:   

Fun is all I get out of it dudes! There's no paying market in the Netherlands. ;(

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 02:49 am:   

Yeah, but in the Netherlands they have those bars where you can get hash, right? It's all give and take -- a little a this, a little a that.

Rick: How old does that make you, 112? Hey, when's the Time Rangers book due out? I'm looking forward to it.

paulw
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 03:58 am:   

What is "age" to one who strides the time streams?

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 04:22 am:   

Paul: Too true. Rick is a Time Ranger, and in that sense, ageless. And while we're on the subject, what's up with your novel. Another book I want to check out. I'd have checked on your message board, but when I go there I see that you are touting the Redskins, and I can't bring myself to go any further.

paulw
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 05:06 am:   

Being a Skins fan has cost me dearly here in NY. Shattered friendships, casual brutalities on the street whenever I wear my Skins cap . . . But I try to rise above such things, knowing that this season, vengeance shall be ours.

I don't know what's up with my novel. I'm still waiting to hear from my editor. The whole thing is taking on a disturbing resemblance to a zen parable. What is the sound of one hand clapping? A slap to the face, as I believe Jim Rockford once pointed out . . .

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 05:22 am:   

Yeah well... at college in the US you just get it deliverd to your room! That's even better!

rick bowes
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 07:57 am:   

Rick: How old does that make you, 112? Hey, when's the Time Rangers book due out? I'm looking forward to it.

Jeff: You're only as old as you feel. In my case, this morning, 112 is about right. FROM THE FILES OF THE TIME RANGERS is due in early '05 from GG with an intro by Kage Baker.

rick bowes
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:00 am:   

What is "age" to one who strides the time streams?

Hey, we all stride the time streams. They're a one way street, sadly.

rick bowes
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:06 am:   

Yeah well... at college in the US you just get it deliverd to your room! That's even better!

Those god-damn kids have it so easy! In my time in school I had to go out in all kinds of bad weather to cop whack weed for myself and my loved ones. If I could have had it delivered, I'd still be an undergraduate.

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:11 am:   

I hear ya! In the low countries you at least have to go to the coffee shop! Builds character... ;)

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 05:53 pm:   

Jeff, don't know if you heard I'm publishing a novella by Paul this year.

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 07:51 pm:   

Ellen: What, when and where?

rick bowes
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:34 pm:   

Ellen wrote:

"Jeff, don't know if you heard I'm publishing a novella by Paul this year."

It's called(or was when he let me read it) 'Left Of The Dial' And it's terrific!

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 05:43 am:   

Two new things for those interested:
I'm going to be at The Mythic Journeys Conference at New Paltz University in upstate New York this weekend from April 30th to May 1st. Will be doing a reading with Greg Frost. We're going to read our stories from the forthcoming Faery Reel Anthology. Will also be doing a panel about Craft in Writing. We'll see how the latter goes. It might be easier for me to do one on Kraft Velveeta Cheese. Stop by if you're in the neighborhood. There's going to be a great line-up of writers and editors. Of the folks I know are going, and there are probably more than this -- Alex Irvine, Gavin Grant, Kelly Link, Gordon Van Gelder, Ellen Datlow, Liz Hand, John Clute, Michael Swanwick, Greg Frost, etc. It should be a lot of fun.

Also, I just heard from Luis that my story, "Rabbit Test," will be posted on Fantastic Metropolis later this week.

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 07:52 am:   

Oops! I fucked up. The thing at New Paltz is called Fantastic Genres. I actually have no idea what Mythic Journeys is, although it sounds familiar to me. Sorry for the mistake.

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 09:28 am:   

Jeff --

Mythic Journeys is some other conference. You may have seen an ad for it in F&SF, which is why it may have stuck in your memory. They've advertised with us a couple times recently.

I'll be up at the Fantastic Genres conference too.

-JJA

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 09:40 am:   

John: Thanks. Glad to hear you are going. See you Friday.

Forrest
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 07:43 pm:   

Jeff: I just saw this.

You can't read Serbian? Oh, man, you are soooooooooooo un-cool.

And, Zoran, thanks for the opportunity to be read by people whom I wouldn't even be able to understand. It really is amazing, the amount of work one puts into translating.

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 08:02 pm:   

Forrest: I'm not sure what you're talking about here by "I just saw this", but the fact that I'm uncool has been common knowledge for years. What's up?

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 08:17 pm:   

Forrest: Oh, I get it, you're talking about Polaris, Zoran's magazine. Mentioned at the top of this thread. Have you seen it? They do a really nice job. Sorry, I forgot you were in that one.

Zoran
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 12:54 am:   

Jeff, Forrest: It was my honor to have you both in Polaris! I'll try to place your stories in some other European SF&F magazines as well. With your kind consent, of course.

jeff ford
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 03:51 pm:   

Zoran: Somehow, I missed this message when you posted. Sorry. Things have been crazy lately. With my kind consent? Go for it, please. I was thrilled to appear in Polaris. Thanks again. Hope you're well. Glad to see The Fourth Circle getting the kind of attention it deserves these days.

Best,

Jeff

jeff ford
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 03:54 pm:   

For those interested -- Luis just put that story, "Rabbit Test" up at Fantastic Metropolis. I'd announced it here earlier, but he ran into a bunch of deadlines for projects himself and then his server crashed, but it's there. Thanks Luis! Check it if you have a chance and/or the inclination.

Luis
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 04:09 pm:   

The URL is http://www.fantasticmetropolis.com/show.html?fn.rabbit

Thanks again, Jeff! And enjoy it, the rest of you!

Cheers,
LuŪs

ellen
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 09:53 pm:   

Jeff is that a new story?

jeff ford
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 10:06 pm:   

Ellen: That's not a new story. It was published some years ago in a very small magazine called New Myths. I doubt anyone has read it. I had taken it out and cleaned it up when working on the collection with Marty and then decided not to use it, but I liked it, so this year I finally got around to sending it to Luis. I let him know a while ago that it wasn't an original, and he said he'd take that notation down as soon as he got a chance.

Zoran
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 11:20 pm:   

Jeff: "Rabbit Test" is a great story. Congratulations! I'll do my very best to place your stories in various European magazines!

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 01:48 am:   

Great story Jeff! Enjoyed it...

Luis
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 05:24 am:   

Jeff, I'll take care of it tonight. Did you see my e-mail asking for specific issue information? If you don't have it, no worries, I'll try to dig it up from the web.

Cheers,
LuŪs

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 07:53 am:   

Zoran: Thanks. I appreciate it.

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 07:56 am:   

Cornelis: Thanks for checking it out. A small Mulisch update. I've got the book under glass now, so that it is preserved. That way if I don't ever get to it, my descendants will. But who knows, in my dotage perhaps...? Hope you are doing well these days and that the writing is cooking.

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 07:57 am:   

Luis: Here's the info on that story. New Myths, 1995, II:2/III:1. I'm not sure what all the Roman numerals mean, but that's what I could find on it.
I'll e-mail this to you as well. Thanks!

Ellen
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 09:08 am:   

Thanks Jeff. I never want to miss a new story by you :-)

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 10:37 am:   

Happy to inform you that my number of accepted (and published stories) is now 4. Awaiting judgement on number five! :-)

Come on man! Read good old Harry! ;)

Luis
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 11:51 am:   

Information about the story has been updated. Sorry all, I was under the impression it was an original, since I couldn't find any references online.

One more question, Jeff: since you altered the story in between publications, what should the copyright year be?

Cheers,
LuŪs

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 07:11 am:   

Just a reminder -- The new anthology edited by Al Sarrantonio will be out in stores June 1st. It's title: Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy. Al was the editor of 999 and Redshift. This volume has a great line up in it -- Gene Wolfe, Tim Powers, Joe Landsdale, Terry Bisson, Liz Hand, Neil Gaiman, Joyce Carol Oates, Robert Reed, etc. My contribution is a story called Jupiter's Skull. So far it's gotten some good reviews, an A+ at SciFi Weekly, and a starred review in Publisher's Weekly. I haven't seen a copy of the book yet, but if you get it I suggest you check out the Tot Tossing piece by Peter Schneider -- it's a crack and a half.

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 08:10 am:   

Just got news that my story, "The Empire of Ice Cream," will appear in the French magazine, Galaxies.

ellen
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 09:46 am:   

Congratulations!

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 03:21 pm:   

Ellen: Thanks!

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 02:04 pm:   

Here's a link for the cover for the Japanese version of The Physiognomy. I'm not sure when it is coming out, but I like this cover a lot.
http://images-jp.amazon.com/images/P/4336046379.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Lou Anders
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 05:23 pm:   

What a cool cover. Do you know who the artist is?

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 06:56 pm:   

Lou: I suppose it's a contemporary artist, but it has that Hokusai tiny people from a distance look to it if you know what I mean. But the style of it is recurrent in Japanese art and it is just about my favorite style. Hope you're doing well.

MarcL
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 10:11 pm:   

That is a cool-ass cover. Congrats.

montmorency
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 03:37 am:   

Jeff, sorry, I should have informed you sooner. The book has been available since the end of August, and it's getting very enthusiastic reviews.

It has a peculiar translation process; a very popular professional translator did the basic translation, but it was retouched sentence by sentence by a renowned fantasy writer. Imagine Angela Carter or Rikki Ducornet giving the final touches for the effect, or Le Guin translating Kalpa Imperial. I believe you've gained wider audience because of this. If you need a copy, I'll get one sent to you.

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 05:31 am:   

Jeff,
I love the cover. I'd buy the art if was reasonable and not too large (and available)--btw, did I ever tell you I bought one of Charles Vess's pieces from The Faery Reel?

Also, with regard to "The Annals of Eelin-Ok," a friend of Liz Hand's read it last week (before I showed up) and Liz said she found her in tears in the morning because it was so sad :-)

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 06:58 am:   

Marc: Thanks.

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 07:05 am:   

Montmorency: Thanks so much for all of the information concerning the translation. I had no idea the book had even come out. The reason for this might be the fact that I sold this to the Japanese publisher through a different agent than the one I have now. They might have sent author's copies, but they would have sent them to the other agent, in which case I would never see them. I'd greatly appreciate it if you could get the publisher to send a few copies to my home. Could you write to me off the board in order for me to give you my address? My e-mail is delicate@erols.com
Also, if you happen to see any reviews, please, if you have the time, drop me a url as to where they can be found. One of my closest friends is Japanese and she's a translator as well. Thanks so much again.

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 07:12 am:   

Ellen: Which piece from The Faery Reel did you buy? There were so many of them that I really liked. One of my favorite was Greg Frost's and that one of that demon woman by the pool. The art from this Phys. cover, I'd buy if I had the money -- I got the yen, but I probably don't got the Yen. As for "Eelin-Ok", another reader reduced to tears? Mission accomplished. I won't rest till they're all weeping.

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 12:39 pm:   

Jeff,
The one by Nina Kiriki Hoffman: "Immersed in Matter"--forest with a horse, rabbit, owl person, and wolf running. There were only a handful left when he got back from ComiCon in San Diego.

So Jeff, are you going to announce the good news you told me or do I have to? :-)

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 05:19 am:   

"The Annals of Eelin-Ok," which appeared in The Faery Reel anthology from Viking, has been selected to appear in the Jonathan Strahan/Karen Haber Year's Best Fantasy of 2004 anthology.

Lou Anders
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 06:30 am:   

Hey congratulations there again! And that story didn't just make me tear up. It makes me tear up if I try to tell it!

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 07:32 am:   

Lou: Thanks! And for a laugh antidote from the Faery Reel story, read "Coffins on the River," which has a lot of laughs. It's in Polyphony #3. Funny thing is (and I mean this in general, not just pertaining to my own stories) the funny ones often seem to ultimately be ignored.

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 02:35 pm:   

Found out a little while ago that the French SF/F magazine, Galaxies, will be doing an issue that will carry two of my stories, "The Empire of Ice Cream" and "Exo-Skeleton Town," a complete bibliography, an interview, and an overview article about my fiction in general (I think). All of this stuff will be translated by my usual French translator, Jacques Guiod. What exact month this will appear, I am not sure.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 07:19 pm:   

Very nice, Jeff.

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 07:56 pm:   

Thanks, Ellen.

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 06:52 am:   

A few new developments for anyone out there interested:

New Stories --
"A Man of Light" will be published by SciFiction, I think somewhere around February.

"Holt" will appear in the forthcoming issue of Tim Pratt's Flytrap #5

(there'll be some other new stories coming in 05 but can't announce them yet)

Reprints --
"The Empire of Ice Cream" has or will appear in the following publications:

Cuasar -- Argentine SF/F Magazine (this one is out; their most recent issue)

SciFiction Anthology due out in 05. I'm very excited to get a hold of this book as a reader. It will reprint some of the best fiction that has appeared on the SciFi.com site since its inception -- edited by Ellen Datlow

Nebula Showcase 2005 -- edited by Jack Dann

SF Hiakawa -- Japanese SF/F magazine (due out some time in 05)

"The Annals of Eelin-Ok" will be reprinted in Jonathan Strahan and Karen Haber's Best Fantasy of 2004 anthology, due out in March.

"The Trentino Kid" will appear in the anthology Necrophobia from German publisher Festa Verlag

The Portrait of Mrs. Charbuque will be published in Italy by Fanucci and in Russia by Eskmo.

That's it for now.

rick bowes
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 11:37 am:   

Congrats on selling 'Man Of Light'

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 10:27 pm:   

Rick: Thanks and thanks for looking it over for me.

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 12:39 am:   

Well.. a lot to look forward to Jeff! Great!

JV
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 06:31 am:   

Yeah, Jeff--it's a great story. Congrats on the Italy/Russia deals.

JeffV

rick bowes
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 02:51 pm:   

Jeff - It was my pleasure.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 03:10 pm:   

JeffV--how do you know? Did Jeff F send it to you, too? :-)

JeffF: you do realize of course that once I sit down and reread it carefully I may ask you to tweak it a bit, yes?

By the way, Rick, which was the new story you mentioned by Jeff F that you really loved?

Jeff ford
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 08:08 pm:   

Ellen: I sent the story to them as writer friends. I show pretty much all of my short fiction to Rick before I send it out. And he sends me a lot of his. We've been doing this for the past few years. Sometimes Jeff and I do the same. That doesn't surprise you does it? Rick's given me excellent advice on stuff in the past -- two stories I can readily remember that he really made a big difference on were "Floating in Lindrethool" and "A Night in the Tropics." Jeff often gives me valuable feedback as well. Do alot of other writers do this, I wonder? Even just to have another set of eyes go over it before you send it out is good. It's really difficult to ascertain the quality of something you've just completed since it is too close.
As far as the tweaking goes -- but of course.

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 11:11 pm:   

Yeah Jeff... I send a lot of my stuff to fellow writers for a review as well. Best way to get some new insights on yer work, right?

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 12:04 am:   

Jeff F: I knew that Rick reads your stuff I just didn't know that JeffV did. That's super--I'm not objecting to it, mind you.

I assume that lots of writers do that. It's a lonely business and feedback is good.

rick bowes
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 08:32 am:   

It helps me both ways - having other writers read my stuff and reading theirs.

Ellen: The story by Jeff that I mentioned is one about Charon that he wrote when he had quit smoking. It was terrific and I don't remember the title(I'm at work and don't have my email files handy).

jeff ford
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 09:12 am:   

Rick: Agreed on the reading of stuff. And that story was "Boatman's Holiday." That's gonna be published but I can't say when or where yet.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 07:40 pm:   

Jeff,
If for some reason it falls through, I hope you'll send it to me :-)

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 06:32 am:   

Ellen: Of course, but it looks pretty good that it will come out.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 07:53 am:   

So when can you tell us where it will appear?

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 08:28 am:   

Ellen: Probably pretty soon after the new year. I do think this other one is definitely going to be out soon as well. "Giant Land" was a story Alex took for Pulse Pounding Narratvies #2. And from what he says that magazine will finally be out. I think he says on his mb down below that he's got galleys of it or something.

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 04:53 am:   

Not that anyone really gives a shit, I would think, but I have to do this for the record. I have above that I'd sold "Empire" to Hyakawa SF in Japan, which I truly believed I had, but that turns out not to be the case. I realized this when they sent me an e-mail today asking to buy it. So my apology for not being up on things and inadvertantly making false claims, etc. Not good. The rest of the stuff above is real....I think.

montmorency
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 06:38 am:   

That's weird. Your translator, who did the translation of "Fantasy Writer's Assistant", is already working on "Empire" for a week according to his blog. At least, your last statement was never inappropriate.

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 06:57 am:   

Montmorency: You know, I could have sworn a Japanese friend of mine, who is a translator, told me she had read somewhere that the story was due to come out this year. Very strange. I guess SF Hayakawa is the only game in town and so they figured it would either eventually be published there or nowhere and started the work on it. I've told them I'd like them to publish it, but then I had to go into a long explanation as to how I'd erroniously announced it on this board and then apologized to them for that. Crazy! To tell you the truth, my bookeeping skills are pretty underwhelming, so I could easily believe I'd screwed up. It all worked out. But thanks for letting me know my memory isn't completely gone.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 08:19 am:   

It's possible they contacted me and I put them in touch with you...so you heard they weren't going to buy it but they only now emailed you about it.

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 08:26 am:   

Ellen: I heard from my friend that it was coming out this year in that magazine. She'd told me she'd read this about three weeks ago. So I figured I must have done this deal and forgotten about it, but the deal had apparently never been made. That's as much as I know. They are buying it. I just wrote back to them this morning. All in all, it's a tempest in a tea pot, but also kind of puzzling.

montmorency
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 09:19 am:   

In any case I'm happy to see it in Japanese. :-)

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 09:25 am:   

Montmorency: I'm with you. It's one of the real joys of this endeavor, seeing a work translated into another language.

Robert Burke Richardson
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 11:27 am:   

I think it's obvious what has happened: Jeff went back in time in order to procure some really old cartoons and like, cigarette-holders and John Buscema Savage Sword of Conans and stuff, and made himself a deal or two on the way. Look for the cosmos to continue favoring Jeff in very subtle ways through 2005 as the temporal changes continue to unfurl.

jeff ford
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 08:01 am:   

For those interested -- I'll have a story, "Boatman's Holiday" in the upcoming anthology Book of Voices (edited by Neil Ayres and company). The book will be published by Flame Books in the UK and the proceeds will go to PEN to support writers in Sierra Leone. Here's the table of contents.

Book of Voices toc

Foreword, Caryl Phillips
Introduction, Mike Butscher

The Psalm of the Second Body, Catherynne M Valente
The Soul Surgeons, Gregory Norminton
Electric Fence, Gary Quinn
Polenta, Marc Paoletti
Dasi, Mohanalakshmi Rajakumar
Shining the Light, Neil Grimmett
Sally Moore, Yolande Sorores
Home, Moshe Benarroch
Beyond Each Blue Horizon, Andrew Hook
The Universal Age of Deceit, Patrick Neate
No Story At All, Scott Kelly
On the Road to Godiva, Brian James
Boatmanís Holiday, Jeffrey Ford
The Flame, Tanith Lee

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 06:32 am:   

The Book of Voices, mentioned in my previous post, will appear on March 24th.

For readers of Japanese, my story, "Empire of Ice Cream," has just been published in translation in the magazine SF Hayakawa.

Just sold a new story, "The Dreaming Wind," which will be published in Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling's YA Trickster anthology, The Coyote Road. This volume is part of the series including The Green Man and The Faerie Reel from Penguin/Firebird.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration