Question for Mr. Ford Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Ford, Jeffrey » Question for Mr. Ford « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matthew
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 02:41 pm:   

Hello, I'm a big fan of your work and had been reading your column at singularity. Anyway, do you know when they will be done redesining it?

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 03:53 pm:   

Matthew: Hi. Thanks for sending a message. Glad you liked the column, but I'm not sure when Singularity will be coming back at this point. I have no idea what happened to it. No one warned me it would be closing down. One day I went there and it was gone. I've been considering reprising the Virtual Anthology elsewhere. If this happens, I'll mention it here on the night Shade Board. Hope you are having a good summer.

Best,

Jeff

Matthew
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 06:10 pm:   

Okay, to bad. Thanks for informing me.

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 09:46 am:   

Hey Jeff! How's the Mulisch coming along?! ;)

Besides that I just wanted to ask if there'll be some online fiction from you in the near future.

Cheers,

Cornelis

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 10:55 am:   

Cornelis: The Mulisch is on constant stand by, ready to be activated when I finish this writing project I am on, which at this rate may be a while. I've only been reading shorter works, collections of stories. Just finished After the Quake by Murikami(sp?) and am going through a collection of Kipling, whose stories I love. What have you been reading? I haven't got anything coming out on-line as of now. That may perhaps change in the not too distant future. Hope you are doing well and that the summer is going smoothly. Thanks for dropping a line.

Best,

Jeff

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 01:10 am:   

Thanks for the swift answer Jeff. Appreciate it.

I'll definitely be waiting on that online fiction! The thing is, I'm taking care of a weekly online fiction tip on a Dutch Website. So far I've treated the readers to all your online stories and I must say that the reactions are very positive.

Reading short stories and poems by Poe and short horror stories by Stephen King. Waiting on the Tain by Miéville to arrive by mail at the moment. Actually been too excited to read, because of my first fiction publication!

Summer went smoothly and classes start next Monday. Back to the grind.

Cheers,

Cornelis

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 04:17 am:   

Cornelis: First publication? Congratulations! I hope you are enjoying the hell out of it. Where is it and what was the story? That's great news.
My favorite Poe story is a toss up between "The Fall of the House of Usher" and "The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar." With King, not usually one of my favorites, but I love the first two novellas in Hearts in Atlantis, especially the second one where the kids are playing Hearts in college. I've actually read a couple of good ones in his latest collection also, Everything's Eventual. Sometimes, he really get's it right all around.
Yeah, I know, back to school. I start teaching next week. Blechh, my spine. At least the weather will start to get cooler. Have a great semester.

Best,

Jeff

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 07:05 am:   

The story is called "De sleur doorbroken" (The Daily Grind Broken Through). It will be printed in a Dutch SF magazine (SF TERRA). It's about a person who's obsessed with time and his meeting with the Grim Reaper who submits him to the strangest job interview ever. The magazine's due around the beginning of September.

It's kind of cliché and definitely not the greatest story around, but it's the first story of mine where everything really works out. After a view rejections I'm really glad it gets to be printed. Trust me... I love it!

What's the story around your first publication?

Cheers,

Cornelis

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 10:49 am:   

Cornelis: I think I was 23 when I published my first story, and it was in The Nantucket Review, a literary magazine, now, I believe defunct. I think I got fifty bucks for it and I proceeded to get ploughed. The story was about my neighbor who did the dead man's float, and I would watch him out my window. A shard of the idea of it shows up in the novel I am working on now, The Shadow Year.

Best,

Jeff

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 11:42 pm:   

How'd you end up publishing (I won't say writing, because that implies that there's necessarily a real difference) spec-fic, then, Jeff?

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 06:06 am:   

Nicholas: I liked it. I wrote it. I'd been a big reader from when I was a kid of Fantasy and Science Fiction among other stuff. I read both that and what was called "realistic fiction," wrote both kinds of things for both kinds of publications and then eventually just said fuck it and combined what I knew about both into one style. I didn't understand your comment at the end about publishing and writing, Nick, could you illuminate me on this?

Best,

Jeff

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 09:59 am:   

I see.

Oh, I was just trying to avoid getting into definitional quibbles. It's become a bit of a truism that the lines between spec and non-spec ficiton is far from clear. As many previous threads have mentioned, many "mainstream" publications will take stories that might be called speculative, and some stories that appear in genre outlets can only loosely be called genre work. So I thought it would be simpler to speak in terms of how its marketed, because that's a lot lot less controversial.

The Interstitial Fairy
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 10:15 am:   

INTERSTITIAL!

The Slipstream Ogre
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 10:39 am:   

SLIPSTREAM!

The Prissy Academic
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 12:49 pm:   

MAGIC REALISM!

The Weird Revolutionary
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 01:50 am:   

NEW WEIRD!

The Shut Up Goblin
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 02:15 am:   

SHUT UP!

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 04:18 am:   

The Sliperstitial Gobweird Prissolutionary.

Andreas Black
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 05:05 am:   

Hmmm... I like that last one. :-)

Greyson English-Fart
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 09:15 am:   

Jeffery Ford, I like your books, but I have one question. Is it an act or are you just a fucking clown shoe? I mean your a good author and all, but you gotta lay of the stupid fairy shit. Come on man, your better than this.

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 09:21 am:   

Greyson: Thanks for writing. It's no act. I am a clown shoe. Glad you like the books. Bring in the garbage can when you get home today.

Best,

Jeff

ellen
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 09:37 am:   

Hey Jeff,
Did Marc Laidlaw tell you that I've just bought "Flight Risk?" He said you told him to send it to me. Glad you did :-)

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 10:28 am:   

Ellen: Yeah, I liked the story a lot. I'll be interested to see what he's done with it since back when I read it. I've heard good things about his earlier fiction before he turned his attention to game design. He just sent me the other one that's nominated for the IHG Award, "Cell Call." Gonna get into it this afternoon, but I peeked at the beginning and it looks equally good.

Best,

Jeff

ellen
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 04:59 pm:   

I published some of his short fiction in OMNI --I think a collaboration with Greg Benford called "A Hiss of Dragons" that we published (before I got there) was his first. And his first solo effort "400 Boys" went through more rewrites than I asked for and he finally got it right --and I bought it. I think I asked him to back up one rewrite in fact :-) although he'd have to confirm that. My memory isn't as good as it used to be.

rick bowes
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 11:58 am:   

Nice to see Greyson English-Fart is still at liberty. Thought the authorities or his family probably had him under restraint by now. How's it going Greyson?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration