HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

We've got issues (magazines, which on...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » The Fortress of Words » We've got issues (magazines, which ones you read) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gwenda B.
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 07:25 pm:   

I love magazines, always have. This includes zines, but I'm also talking as glossy as it gets.

And I always like to know what other people subscribe to, or pick up on the newstand or at the bookstore. So, it's a magazine thread.

I think right now, The Fortress of Words currently has subscriptions to:

Bust
F & SF
Utne Reader
a variety of Bicycling magazines
Entertainment Weekly

recently elapsed: Bitch and Electric Velocipede (I think), both of which we plan to renew. Possibly LCRW.

plan to add in the near future: Argosy and The Believer.

Magazines I always/often buy:

Scenario (whenever, if ever, it comes out)
Film Comment
Harper's
Atlantic Monthly
Outside
Other magazine
That one with really nice underground comics
Found
Conduit
Uncut
Zoetrope
Asimov's
Realms of Fantasy
Skeptic
No Depression

I will also buy almost anything I think looks interesting, at least once. That's where you come in. What magazines are missing from these lists? What do you love/hate about the ones on it?

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 08:42 pm:   

I also plan to add a subscription to Argosy, which I saw at World Fantasy and it's absolutely stunning. I buy the Say...? issues when they come out, I saw that I could do a two-issue sub, I should do that.

The mighty Electric Velocipede offices subscribe to:

LCRW
FUHU
F&SF
Asimov's
Talebones
Cemetery Dance
Realms of Fantasy
Weird Tales
Artemis
Absolute Magnitude
Chronicle
Entertainment Weekly
Maxim
Martha Stewart's Living
Turbocharged Fortune Cookie (hoping to see more!)

And I think that's it. I keep meaning to add Interzone and Third Alternative, but I never get around to it.

JK

Neddal Ayad
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 03:59 am:   

No subscriptions, but magazines that I pick up fairly regularly:
Uncut
Punk Planet
Lollipop
Loaded
Discover
Scientific American
Archaeology
Harp
Morbid Curiosity (I have a friend in the U.S. that hooks me up...)

Magazines I would pick up if I saw copies:
Argosy
Weird Tales
Locus
LCRW
Say...
Electric Velocipede
Juxtapoz

William Smith
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 08:27 pm:   

I do a lot of my magazine reading at Barnes & Noble (and then neatly and responsibly put them back where they belong) but a few do make it home.

I subscribe to:
F&SF
Video Watchdog
Mojo
LCRW
Salon

pick up when I see 'em:
Adbusters
Electric Velocipede
Harpers
Games (for the board game reviews)

Read and put back:
guilty pleasure computer and video game magazines

get free from work:
EW
InStyle
Martha Stewart
Time
This Old House

skim:
Analog
Asimov's
Ellery Queen
Alfred Hitchcock

That's it. More than I thought actually.

Gwenda B.
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 03:35 am:   

Magazines could take over your life and you wouldn't even notice.

Yes, I'd love to see another Turbo-Charged Fortune Cookie as well. And there'll be another JPPN coming along at any moment.

I forgot One-Story, off my original list, which I highly recommend because there's something very cool and manageable about just getting a tiny chapbook with one usually really good story in it every three weeks or so.

Scientific American, yes! And I'm always planning to subscribe to 3rd Alternative anyway (oh, how I wish magazines in the field tended to be cheaper). And Christopher usually buys Locus, of course.

I also really wish I subscribed to The Week and New Scientist, but that might possibly push the magazine reading too far into the red.

What are Harp and Artemis, respective readers? (Trunk Stories is excellent, btw.)

We'll speak no further about Martha Stewart and Maxim (overpronounced maxeeeem).

Neddal Ayad
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 01:03 pm:   

Gwenda:
Harp is a music mag. that covers stuff that's semi-undergound - alt.country, non-pop punk, slowcore, etc..., etc...
Here's their site:
http://www.harpmagazine.com/

-N

William Smith
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 02:20 pm:   

"Magazines could take over your life and you wouldn't even notice."

They could at that. Just like kudzu vines. Actually "Kudzu" would be a great magazine title. Hmmm....

Thank you for the parenthetical compliment. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wish I could speed up the submission process a bit now that I have all of the machinery in place.

des
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 02:37 pm:   

I suppose nobody's mentioned Nemonymous in the long lists above because nobody knows how to get a copy. des

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 02:37 pm:   

William: >>"They could at that. Just like kudzu vines. Actually "Kudzu" would be a great magazine title. Hmmm...."

I know of at least two publications by that name, actually.

John Klima
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 03:09 pm:   

Des:

I didn't mention Nemonynous since I think of it as more than a magazine, but I guess it falls within the parameters of what's on a newstand. I have all three editions of Nemonymous that have been published and they are wonderful.

To answer Gwenda's question, Artemis started out as a fiction magazine along the lines of Analog. They've shifted to more and more fact/scientific articles as they've moved along, which is not a direction that meets my reading needs.

Two more to add:

Taste of Home
Cooking Light

Both cooking magazines which arrived today.

JK

William Smith
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 04:46 pm:   

"I know of at least two publications by that name, actually."

Figures. Are they decent magazines?

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 04:53 pm:   

I don't know. I've never read them; I just know of their existence. The two I know of are both literary ezines, seemingly unrelated, and one (not sure about the other) is defunct.

Christopher Rowe
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 07:05 pm:   

Gwenda's casual mention of "a variety of Bicycling magazines" unfortunately doesn't go very far in describing the depth and breadth of our bicycle magazines subscriptions and news stand purchases. The cheerful, populist appeal of Bicycling? Of course. The hipper than thou, photo heavy Bike? Check. Naturalmenté we purchase Cycle Sport, ProCyclist, and VeloNews. And just the other day I picked up the inaugural issue of a new one called Road: The Journal of Road Cycling and Culture that looks spiffy as all get out.

All this reminds me of a terrible science fiction short story I remember writing when I was in my early twenties. A guy was trying to pick up a girl (they were in some kind of emergency shelter) by demonstrating his super-secret mutant power of being able to tell what magazines someone subscribed to, just by looking at them! Then the aliens egg craft opened up and everybody died, I think.

On a related note, my super-secret mutant power is to hang pictures absolutely straight, first time, every time.

Gwenda B.
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 08:41 pm:   

My favorite bicycling thing is still the Daily Peloton website during the Tour de France, the ladies who do the Jambon report are my sports writing heroes.

William Smith
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 01:08 am:   

Wow! My mutant power is that I can climb stairs really fast. My friend has dominion over sock monkeys. A third friend makes perfect mix tapes. Do you want to make Four?

Christopher Rowe
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 06:36 am:   

Combining our powers for good seems like an obvious move, Will, but let's no be too hasty. I asked George, who has limited precog abilities, and he said, "That way lies danger."

I think he means this. Should four such potent champions of justice be gathered all together, wouldn't that just provide a reason for our enemies to band together for greater villainy? Do you want to share responsibility, should Stands On the Left of the Moving Pedway With a Huge "Carry-on" Blocking the Right Man, Lip Smacker, and Aparently Applying For a Second Mortgage Through the ATM Lass all band together, no doubt under the nefarious leadership of Leo, the Rhythmless Hippie?

Not to mention the the possibilities that our powers might somehow be warped to evil purpose. Should an alien warlord such as, say, Jim Minz, somehow gain control of our neural communications net, the world might suddenly be under the thumb of a fast stair climbing sock monkey who makes great mix tapes and hangs pictures straight the first time.

These risks, Will. Are you prepared to take them?

William Smith
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 10:26 am:   

It is true indeed that with great power comes great responsibility.

Let me retire to my Fortress of Solitude and ponder this.

JV
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 09:15 am:   

The Ministry subscribes to

The New Yorker
Men's Health
Entertainment Weekly
The Big Takeover
Locus
Wired
Mother Jones
Utne Reader
Moment
Raw Vision

That's right, here at the Ministry we reserve our weirdness for the books we publish...

JeffV

Michael Bishop
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 07:22 am:   

I suggest a magazine called The Sun, which is edited and published in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. It's edited by Sy Safransky and has been for some thirty-odd years. It features absolutely no ads, so that the magazine can remain free of any sort of product-based editorial bias, and you can find a short story or two in each issue, along with an interview with a figure of some political, ecological, and/or spiritual prominence, as well as personal essays, and a monthly feature called "Readers Write" (on a topic decided upon by the editorial staff) consisting of brief personal essays by the magazine's readership. I'm always amazed that so few people have heard of the magazine and that, once they've heard of it, they don't jump to subscribe. But maybe I'm prejudiced on its behalf because Safransky and I come from the same generation. Anyway, I'd strongly suggest that people at least take a look. . . .

Gwenda B.
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 09:33 am:   

Wow, even more recs. We're heading out to the magazine store later this afternoon.

But, I have to non-magazine it up here for a minute and quote from a book, although it's a book written by a journalist so that's something.

On kudzu, from Grady Clay's book "Real Places: An Unconventional Guide to America's Generic Landscape" (highly recommended):

The Kudzu (this is a pretty long section, I'm only going to quote a couple of paragraphs)
At first it was "getting out of hand." Then it was "covering the whole woods." Eventually, it was accused of the more serious regional offense of "eating Southern real estate." By this time the voracious, rampageous legume known as kudzu vine has long since worn out its welcome as an exotic porch-vine plant. Within a century's aggressive residence in the United States, it was recongized as having expanded far beyond its biological origins to become a geographic phenomenon, a generic place known as THE KUDZU.

.... snipping history of kudzu .....

But THE KUDZU as a generic place attracted Southern hyperbole, such as a claim that it can "cover an area the size of Rhode Island overnight without belching." A Southern folklorist asserted it swallowed up a bird dog standing on point. It was known as "the mile-a-minute" plant. To plant it, "you drop it and run."

...... and lastly ....

But both its assets and liabilities THE KUDZU kept to the South. Its resistance to frezing fades as it passes "The Kudzu Line" somewhere around the thirty-eighth parallel through Missouri-Kentucky-southern Indiana. Unlike the former Confederate Army, THE KUDZU poses no threat to the North.

I love that book. Maybe we need an additional thread for books housed in the sociology section of the bookstore, another pet obsession of mine.

Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 10:48 pm:   

I currently subscribe to:

Locus
The New Yorker
T.V. Guide.

I want to subscribe to:

Adbusters
The Believer
Guitar World
Argosy
The Sun

I picked up The Sun on the recommendation above, from Mr. Bishop and I like it. I sometimes pick up Zoetrope and various science magazines, too.

Ralph Robert Moore
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 05:20 pm:   

The New Yorker
New York Review of Books
National Geographic
Scientific American
Time
Cats
Cat Fancy
Cooks Magazine
Home Cuisine
Country Cooking
Consumer Reports
Midnight Street
Lullaby Hearse
Frothing at the Mouth

Ron Drenger
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 06:25 pm:   

Hi. For anyone picking up on this thread...I'm a freelance journalist working on a story, for a website, about magazines and magazine readers . I’m interested in talking to people who like to read magazines, about what kinds of magazines you enjoy, and whay; whether you subscribe or buy at the newsstand or read at cafes/bookstores; how many magazines you subscribe to; what role magazines play in your life or hobbies; where and when you like to read magazines; what you do with you magazines after you've read them, etc.

I'd prefer to talk on the phone, it would just be a brief interview, but we could also chat by email or IM.

If you’re interested, please email me at rdrenger@mindspring.com, and i'd be happy to give you more details and we could set up a time to talk.

Thanks very much,
Ron Drenger

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |