UK Editions Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » VanderMeer, Jeff » UK Editions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JV
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 08:24 am:   

I thought I'd start a separate thread for news about UK publications--specifically Veniss Underground coming out in October from Pan MacMillan and City of Saints coming out in March 2004 from PanMac (their Tor UK imprint).

I've just confirmed that the British hardcover of City of Saints will include all of the additional material found in the US hardcover, plus some additional-additional material.

"The Exchange" will be added to the Appendix section, one page of the Exchange per page of the Pan Mac edition, with space below each panel for a section of an "essay" on Sporlender and Verden, the supposed author and illustrator of the Exchange. In addition, a proto-Ambergris story, "Learning to Leave the Flesh" will be added. It will be added in the style of the City of Saints U.S. trade paperback, with its page numbers starting where that book ends. Also, the letter from the deluxe Exchange and a photograph of the contents of the deluxe Exchange are being added. In addition, I'm fixing a couple of mistakes in the encrypted story and the original drop caps for the first four novellas are being restored, along with a few other restored illustrations, including a new frontispiece.

The cover design and art will be similar to the US edition, but the fake bio is being moved to the interior so that the cover flaps can include the standard blurbs, etc.

Jeff

Mastadge
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 12:03 pm:   

To buy it a third time, or not to buy it a third time: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the wallet to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous prices,
Or to take arms against a sea of expenses,
And by opposing end them?

Damn you and your revisions and additions!

Des
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 12:11 pm:   

I shall buy it for a third time. Must have the UK version. To live in the UK without the third version will be like visiting a zoo without seeing the squid or meerkats. Des

JV
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 12:29 pm:   

City of Saints has always been a work in progress. But I promise that this will be the definitive edition. The added material amounts to about 60 pages. The reintroduction of the original illustrations adds a lot, too, as some of the ones in the US hardcover are pale shadows of the originals (we had to take them out because the printer of the US edition was having problems with them printing poorly).

I must say, Pan Mac are making an incredible commitment by retaining the US hardcover design. They really believe in this book.

Jeff

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 12:43 pm:   

I guess I'm getting a third edition of it. Just don't do some new, limited edition thing with even more material after this.

At some point I keep meaning to compare the glossaries to find all the new stuff in the hardcover. But I can't seem to keep the trade paperback. It's always being loaned to one friend or another.

Liz Williams
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 01:36 pm:   

Jeff, i have been extremely pleased with the Tor editions of my stuff, and the Pan Mac folk are lovely to work with (and drink with, which is not unimportant).

I look forward to seeing your editions.

Liz

Mastadge
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 02:15 pm:   

"But I promise that this will be the definitive edition."

Well then . . . I guess I shall get it.

JV
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 03:29 pm:   

Yes, honestly--this is it. I swear to God--I'm through with that darn book after this edition.

JeffV

Liz Williams
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 03:19 am:   

The Tor edition just arrived on the mat and it looks great.

JV
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 08:48 am:   

Of Veniss U.? Yeah--I can't wait to see it!!!! I think I should have advance copies by Wednesday.

jeff

JV
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 02:48 pm:   

Re the UK edition of Veniss Underground. Those of you going to World Fantasy are in luck. One of the dealers in the book room, Cold Tonnage, will have at least 20 copies of the UK edition with them. So for US residents--if you are going to be at World Fantasy and wanted that edition, you might want to pick it up there rather than through Amazon.co.uk.

JeffV

JV
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 08:11 am:   

One of the images being added (although in black-and-white) to the TOR UK edition of City of Saints. By Hawk Alfredson, who continues to seem to read my mind. Two or three pieces by him will be integral parts of my long Ambergris novella "Zamilon File".

Jeff

Circlings

Bill B.
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 02:10 pm:   

Is there any difference in content between the US and UK paperback editions of Veniss Underground?

JV
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 05:54 pm:   

Nope.

Jeff

JV
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 10:28 am:   

I have heard grumblings from some readers in some quarters about the forthcoming definitive UK edition of City of Saints & Madmen. Some readers who bought the Prime edition are apparent upset. All I can say is, when the Prime edition came out I never thought I'd have a UK deal. Also, the UK publisher specifically requested additional material. I'm not sure what to say to disgruntled readers on this score, although I'm usually sensitive to reader concerns. If you have the Prime edition, you have the first, original state of the book. I'm sorry if some of you are unhappy that there's going to be a UK edition with more material. You certainly don't have to buy it if you don't want to.

Best,

Jeff

GabrielM
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 12:24 pm:   

Goodness, I hadn't heard there was going to be yet another version. I guess it is a bit disappointing (I already own the Cosmos TPB and the Prime HC and don't plan to spring for a third), but I don't think anyone can fault you for doing what you need to do to get your book released overseas. Maybe you can just think of collecting the additional material (I don't know what it is) for US readers at some point? I assume it's too late to get into the GG collection?

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 12:55 pm:   

Maybe in a few hundred years, it will be like a religious text. There will be fierce debates, maybe even wars, about which version is the one true version. Some may claim those new additions to the UK version are forgeries created at a later date. Some will say the Cosmos version is the only true version. Maybe lost chapters will be "discovered" (or forged) and added to different versions.

Come up with different translations based on translating into different languages, then back into English. Maybe even to a King James version of City of Saints & Madmen. Am I going to far now?

Well, I'll get the new version and not be annoyed. For some reason, I find the differing versions of it to be interesting, like the books are really artifacts from Ambergris, and each one is from a different publisher in Ambergris trying to get people to buy their version.

You should also sneak in a new entry to the glossary just to see who picks up on it. I always plan to compare the glossaries from the Cosmos & Prime versions, but I can't hold onto the Cosmos version. I loan it to one friend, and as soon as I get it back, another friend borrows it. But I know there are a lot of new entries in the Prime one.

JV
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 01:35 pm:   

Heh. Robert--there are new glossary entries.

Basically, if you are a US reader and you have read "The Exchange" booklet and you get the GG story collection with "Learning to Leave the Flesh" in it, then all that the Pan Mac offers extra are some additional glossary entries pertaining to the deluxe boxed Exchange, and a commentary by X on the Exchange itself.

I'm still flummoxed by reader concerns, I'm afraid. I buy alternative versions all the time, and also a lot of writers change their novels over time, so that the editions are often different. They usually just don't advertise the fact. I guess that's my mistake.

Jeff

JV
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 01:39 pm:   

Oh--I forgot. The Prime edition being POD, we had to use mostly illos that didn't have much black in them. So at the last second, the original illos were switched out for more simple line drawings. So the Pan Mac edition has the original illos that were planned for the US edition.

I mean, there were so many limitations to overcome re the Prime edition, it is, now that I think about it, almost inevitable that a more "definitive" edition would have to come out.

I guess I'm a little irritated at the idea that people would be irritated that I've tried to improve the damn thing.

Jeff

JV
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 01:50 pm:   

Just to complicate matters, the Wildside trade paper of the current Prime hardcover will be available in the US in a matter of a week or two. In this case, it doesn't have any changes except a slightly different cover. But it does provide readers with a much less expensive alternative to the hardcover, if anyone needs a reading copy.

Jeff

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 05:59 pm:   

just to add my support, i've got no problem with new editions with more material. i think it's a fine thing where books i like are concerned, especially for collections. i suppose i could see how people could get disgruntled (if i remember correctly, the prime edition wasn't a cheap hardcover) but it's only money. more can be made, and the books you buy can be used to light your funeral pyre :-)

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 03:35 am:   

I have to admit rather shamefacedly that I haven't bought any of the editions yet; truth be told, I've been holding out until I can be sure I'm getting the most definitive edition. If I'd bought an earlier one, I think I would be annoyed—after all, once an improved version comes out, it's easy to feel that one's been duped into giving up their money for what is now an "inferior" edition—but I'd also be pleased that an even better one is now available, and what annoyance I'd have certainly wouldn't be directed at you! That'd just silly. As you say, all you're doing is trying to make the damn thing better, and no one's forcing people to buy it if they don't want to.

Cheryl
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 12:07 pm:   

Oh dear, Robert has given me an idea for the review of the UK edition. And you thought the Lambshead review was pretentious...

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 05:00 pm:   

Cool. I look forward to reading it.

JV
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 05:27 pm:   

Nicholas--I can totally empathize re a reader feeling annoyed, in a kind of general, non-intense way, and, as you say, not at the author.

Jeff

John Klima
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 08:17 am:   

It's more of a modern invention for authors to have new editions of books come out without significantly changing them. It used to be the rule that a new editions contained additional text. I couldn't wait to read it, so I bought the trade paperback. Of course, the hardcover had all that extra material, so I bought it. Now the UK edition has more material, I may or may not get it. I'm intrigued.

JK

des
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 10:31 am:   

There's something deliciously accretive and accidental (of accidence) about this; I can't wait to go into a shop in UK and buy my next fungiform development of the archetype to accompany the two earlier growths I own. All mutually self-resonant. des

JV
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 06:54 am:   

The Guardian reviews Veniss Underground!

http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,12084,1094751,00.html

Jeff

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 10:34 am:   

Nice, Jeff. Nice.

Cheryl
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 11:08 am:   

My local store had run out of Independents today so I bought a Guardian instead. Must have been synchronicity at work. Congratulations, Jeff!

des
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 12:50 pm:   

really pleased, jeff. told 'em in my local uk bookshop, I knew you. ;-)
des

Liz
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 01:12 pm:   

Good half page spread, too. Well done!

JV
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 01:20 pm:   

Thanks everyone! Someone has promised to send me a copy of the hardcopy pages in the actual physical Guardian, which will be neat.

Jeff

Brendan
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 12:20 am:   

Very cool! The Guardian is a great place for such a nice review.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 07:59 am:   

Nice. The Guardian is a good paper (although I only get to read it online).

Rhys
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 07:49 am:   

Jeff: I have the review in the newspaper and I can send it to you tomorrow, if you like. I can send you the entire review section. If fact that's what I'll do.

I just bought the paper two days ago and there was the review -- done by Mike Moorcock (with the review listed on the front cover of the review paper no less!) and a nice illustration to go with it.

I'm very, very pleased for you, Jeff. And also extremely envious!

richard
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 12:24 pm:   

Jeff - broadsheet spread and unequivocal praise from the Godfather of Modern Fantasy himself. And every column inch very well deserved too. Congratulations.

JV
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 08:46 pm:   

Thanks! And thanks, Rhys, for sending me the entire review section. Much appreciated.

And, Richard, I must say one thrill associated with Veniss for me was your reading and liking the novel! Very much looking forward to your new one.

JeffV

JV
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 07:12 am:   

Also, new blurbs, etc. add to the veniss underground site at:

http://www.venissunderground.com

Jeff

Colin Brush
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 02:33 am:   

Hey Jeff

Happy New Year and this from the UK's Publishing News (the UK's number two book trade weekly newspaper), dated 19th December (it only just landed on my desk). In its Books of the Year round up by several contributors, one Claire Bott writes only of your book and says:

'VU by JV is a book that goes some way towards defying description. For a start, it has three different sections, each centring on a different character. One is in the first person, one the third, and one - the middle section - in the second person. It's also that rare beast - a thrilleresque plot couched in such rich, disturbingly beautiful prose that reading the book is rather like watching a huge, dark flower slowly unfurling. Something like Orpheus and Eurydice, only weirder and more obsessive. Something like science fiction. Something like horror. And nothing like anything else you've ever read or seen. Often upsetting, frequently nauseating, but always compelling. A book that once read, you won't forget in a hurry.'

Go on, I'll give you £5 if you insist that Tor put the word nauseating as a quote on the back of the book!

And congrats on a great year in 2003.

All the best

Colin

JV
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 03:52 pm:   

Thanks, Colin! I just today got a photocopy of the page in question. I'm thrilled--especially since it's not a SF/F roundup, but just a general discussion of the year's best books.

Nauseating--many a writer I admire has had one of their books called that. I did, in fact, think about asking Tor to put that part of the quote on the back of the forthcoming mass market edition.

Thanks again, Colin!

JeffV

AndrewW
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 04:09 pm:   

Hi Jeff and others here,
I'm wondering which editions of your fine books to get. I live in the USA, and will be visiting the UK soon. I'm wondering, for each of the following, whether there is a case for preferring the UK paperback edition to the US, in terms of material included, quality of production, etc.
- City of Saints and Madmen
- Veniss Underground
- Lambshead (hardback edition)

Best,
Bamboozled in Boston

JV
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 05:06 pm:   

Andrew:

Okay, for all of these:

(1) City of Saints--the Pan Macmillan hardcover or trade paperback is the most complete. The mass market paperback being put out in March is very close, but we had to decrypt most of the encrypted story because you decrypt it using the first four novellas in the collection--and the line breaks, of course, have changed for those in the mass market, throwing off the decryption.

(2) Veniss Underground--all of the editions are the same, basically, but the just-released mass market paperback in the UK does include the related novella Balzac's War (which also appears in my short story collection Secret Life.

(3) Lambshead--the best edition, to my mind, is the original Night Shade edition. The Pan Mac edition is wonderful, but they did shrink it down to make it more of a pocket guide and so the type is a little small. Not a problem for what's basically a browsing book, but since NS does still have some of the hardcovers left, I'd recommend snatching one up before they're gone. (For those living in the UK--the UK edition is just as complete as the US edition, so no point in ordering the US edition, really.)

Hope that is somewhat helpful!

JeffV

AndrewW
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 05:28 pm:   

Thanks, Jeff, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'll try to pick up City and Veniss in the UK.
I'll get the Lambshead Guide NS ed. from Amazon US, since we got a gift cert. for there for Christmas. I was planning on the hardcover, since it sounds like the kind of volume where the extra $ really is worth it. I'd also like to support NS, our hosts for these fine message boards.
Andrew

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration