Re: Weird Music thread, what about wy... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » VanderMeer, Jeff » Re: Weird Music thread, what about wyrd folk? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jk
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 07:42 pm:   

Anyone into all that "wyrd folk" stuff that is becoming so big with hipsters lately? Six Organs of Admittance, Espers, Josephine Foster, Stone Breath, In Gowan Ring, all the Finnish forest folk stuff on the Fonal label, Marissa Nadler, Fursaxa. And the really obscure, old acid folk stuff like Synanthesia, Forest, COB, Jan Dukes De Grey, Moonkyte, Fucshia, Mark Fry, Stone Angel, etc?

GabrielM
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   

I'm enjoying Marissa Nadler's BALLADS OF LIVING AND DYING a lot, but I guess I hadn't thought of her as "wyrd folk". She sounds like gothic Americana to me.

Robert
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 05:34 am:   

They're not part of the "wyrd folk" scene, but I really like Naervaer. They did one album of very strange folk music, strongly influenced by film scores for westerns.

mike mclatchey
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 11:10 am:   

jk - I've heard some of the modern bands from Finland, although I'm not sure I can spell what I remember! I'm much more familiar with the older British stuff. The one you really have to try first is Comus _First Utterance_ (which has just been reissued with their much worse second album as _Song to Comus_), which is *the* pagan folk album from the acid rock era. I highly recommend that second Jan Dukes de Gray. I'd also recommend Mellow Candle _Swaddling Songs_ and Trees _The Garden of Jane Delawney_ even though they're not as "wyrd."

mike

jk
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   

Yeah, I have all those, they're really good. You should check out Synanthesia if you haven't heard it. It's as good as those.

mike mclatchey
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   

There's also a gigantic Breton folk scene that spawned some occasional oddities in a similar vein. There was a great French label called Hexagone in the late 70s that put out albums by Malicorne, Dan Ar Bras, Hungarians Kolinda and others. Then of course there's quite a few "krautrock" crossovers like Witthuser & Westrupp or Emtidi.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration