Veniss Underground Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » VanderMeer, Jeff » Veniss Underground « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff VanderMeer
Posted on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 10:47 am:   

More info on my new novel, out in April:

http://publishersweekly.reviewsnews.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA274 630

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 09:12 am:   

Nice little interview, Jeff.

Of course, changing from Pan MacMillan to Tor UK I see as somewhat of a coup. And of course they're lovely people to work with.

Night Shade Books
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 11:12 am:   

Jay,

Interesting. Why would you say that Tor UK is an improvement over Pan McMillan? I'm not familiar enough with the UK publishing scene, and Tor UK is pretty fresh on the market.

Jason

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 12:35 pm:   

Jason, of course they're the one company, but because the Tor UK imprint is shiny and brand new, there's a lot of industry focus on it at the moment, seeing what they're going to do etc. Also, of course, it rides with the well-recognised Tor name internationally.

Mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 02:20 pm:   

Jeff,

I seem to recall reading something about the possibility of a hardcover edition of Veniss with some additional short fiction . . . is this going to happen, or is the paperback edition going to be the only one?

Nathan

JeffV
Posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 06:51 pm:   

I should be able to announce a hardcover with an afterword about writing the novel shortly. The additional short fiction, alas, has all been swallowed up by my Golden Gryphon collection.

Mike Simanoff
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 12:49 pm:   

There are very few citations of the meerkat (Suricata suricatta) in scientific, historical, or literary works—-less, perhaps, than any creature save the civets, genets, and lindsangs.

The Dictionary of Literary Biography makes reference to Andre Norton’s novel The Beast Master, in which "Hosten Storm is the human member of a scouting team in which the animals, Baku, an African eagle; Hing, a meerkat; and Surra, a dune cat, are equals of human beings in skill and sensitivity."

The writer Don Sakers states, biographically, "I live at Meerkat Meade in suburban Baltimore with Thomas Atkinson, my legal-in-Vermont spouse."

A recent article in Science News, 9/01, discusses research on meerkat pups. It concludes, after much heavy handed verbosity, "that young meerkat pups get fatter when they have more adult meerkats to pester for food."

Additional occurrences of the work "meerkat" can found in the following articles. Unfortunately my own busy experimentation precludes me reading the entirety of these.

"Predation, Group Size and Mortality in a Cooperative Mongoose, Suricata suricatta," Journal of Animal Ecology, Vol. 68, No. 4. (Jul., 1999), pp. 672-683.

"Fecal Methanogens and Vertebrate Evolution," Evolution, Vol. 50, No. 2. (Apr., 1996), pp. 559-572.
("A determination of methane emissions by 253 vertebrate species confirmed that competence for intestinal methanogenic bacteria is shared by related species and higher taxa, irrespective of different feeding bits."—-this is the canonical text on meerkat farts)

"Is There Teaching in Nonhuman Animals?" Quarterly Review of Biology, Vol. 67, No. 2. (Jun., 1992)

"Mongoose Predation on Sea Turtle Eggs and Nests," Biotropica, Vol. 15, No. 2. (Jun., 1983), pp. 159-160.

"The Evolution of Monogamy: Hypotheses and Evidence," Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, Vol. 11. (1980)

"On the Evolution and Adaptive Significance of Postnatal Growth Rates in the Terrestrial Vertebrates," Quarterly Review of Biology, Vol. 53, No. 3. (Sep., 1978)

"Kuanyama Ambo Magic. 6. Medicinal, Cosmetical, and Charm Flora and Fauna," The Journal of American Folklore, Vol. 69, No. 272. (Apr.-Jun., 1956), pp. 147-174.
("The Wild Dog [ombidi] and the Bushy-tailed Meerkat [haluni]. These animals are taboo and cannot be killed.")

"The Fable of the Visit of the Truthful Man and the Liar with the Monkeys, and the Adventure of Reynard and Isengrim with the Apes," Modern Language Notes, Vol. 4, No. 8. (Dec., 1889)

Jay C
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 01:30 am:   

Jeff, thought I'd mention that I'm off to the Tor UK launch on 19th March. Interesting to see what they hype...

Neil
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 05:15 am:   

Jay - take photos!

JeffV
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 02:11 pm:   

The Veniss Underground site is now up and running at:

http://www.venissunderground.com/index.html

A couple of sections are not quite ready, but a lot of it is in place. I'll let you know when the giant rotating meerkat goes live.

JeffV
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 08:04 pm:   

I've got a finished copy of Veniss in trade paper in my hands!! It won't be available on Amazon for a couple of weeks. And then generally after that. It looks pretty cool.

I'm salivating at the idea of seeing the hardcover Veniss from NS, though.

JeffV

Tamar
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 01:55 pm:   

That must be the greatest feeling, Jeff. Can't wait to have a copy in my hands myself!

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 12:16 pm:   

Jeff, will the Tor UK edition be hardcover? What's the deal with that anyway?

JeffV
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 06:51 pm:   

Hi, John! The TOR UK edition will be trade paper and mass market. But they're also doing City of Saints and Madmen as a deluxe hardcover and tp. Veniss will be out from them in October. I don't know what you mean by "what's the deal with that".

Tamar--It's a pretty good feeling! And the hardcover from Night Shade is shaping up wonderfully.

JeffV.

Jeff Topham
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 04:47 am:   

Let me heartily endorse Veniss Underground, whatever physical manifestation it may assume. It's dark, phantasmagoric, and often jaw-dropping in its beautiful strangeness. I must particularly single out the first of the book's three sections, which is one of the most wonderfully-realized pieces of fantastic fiction I've read in some time.

Kudos, Jeff!

JT

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 05:38 am:   

Jeff:

I guess I was just curious as to the reasons behind (and perhaps you don't want to go into on this board) Tor UK picking up the book, but not Tor...USA (for lack of better clarification).

Just curious.

JK

JeffV
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 05:57 am:   

I had already sold it to Prime, and TOR US expressed no interest in buying the rights from them. They have expressed an interest in seeing future work. You'd have to ask them, really.

JeffV

JeffV
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 03:17 pm:   

Re Veniss, the NS edition, check out the full cover!

http://www.nightshadebooks.com/venisslarge.jpg

Jeff V.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 05:43 am:   

Awesome cover; can't wait to how it looks on my bookshelf!

JK

Night Shade Books
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 06:16 am:   

John,

Let me remove the suspense. It'll look amazing on your shelf. It'll be sexy. Pure, hot-buttered, Giant Robot Rotating VanderSex!

Of course, I could be biased.

Jason

John Klima
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 06:32 am:   

Well, while I don't know if my shelves can handle that much excitement, I'll take my chances.

JK

Neil Williamson
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 01:19 am:   

Jeff, it's a thing of beauty. Looking forward to seeing the TorUK artwork as well now!

JeffV
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 09:57 am:   

Re Veniss Underground as listed on Amazon--the 3 to 5 weeks to ship business is an error. Orders should be processed and shipped in less than a week.

Jeff

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 11:00 am:   

Jeff,

I managed to snag a copy at ICFA a few weeks ago, and gobbled it all up this past weekend. Holy homicidal meerkats, Batman! This was a phenomenal novel. I love the postmodern tricks of making the first section in first person, the second in second person, etc. And your descriptions just blew me out of the water. Though when Shadrach goes underground, the melange of body parts made my stomach turn over a few times. But I imagine Hell would be like that. The closest description I can come to your writing is Gene Wolfe mixed with Samuel Delany and a dash of Hieronymous Bosch. Simply phenomenal. I definitely see this making some award lists next year. Woo. I'm still out of breath.

JeffV
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 11:38 am:   

Thanks, Jason! I'm glad you liked it. It is definitely horrific. In fact, I think of it more as dark fantasy than SF--it's using the SF tropes for dark fantasy/horror purposes. I really appreciate the comment.

I'm hoping to make it to ICFA next year.

JeffV

Mastadge
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 11:43 am:   

I can't wait for my copy to ship!

Night Shade Books
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 10:56 am:   

The hardcover of Veniss Underground is here, and it's a sexy beast! Preorders will ship out this week.

Jason

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:26 pm:   

Just in case anybody needs more encouragement... A review of Veniss in The San Francisco Chronicle:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2003/05/04/RV227089.D TL&type=books

The above link also features a review of Lucius Shepard's Louisiana Breakdown.

peterw
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 09:17 am:   

Jeff -- got my copy today and it's a beaut! (Album Zutique came in as well)

Was blown away to see the Giant Sand quote. Howe Gelb & Co. are one of my musical mainstays. Hope I don't drool over this too much before I get the chance to read it.

peterw
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 11:44 am:   

Should mention for any triviologists here: the quote comes from Faithful on the album Glum (though I remembered the line, it took me a while to pinpoint it).

Mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 12:05 pm:   

Ah! When. . .will. . .it. . .arrive?!

peterw
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 12:09 pm:   

Just noticed the quotes on the second and third sections: Yer Ropes and Faithful, both off Glum.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 08:28 am:   

I finished reading Veniss last week. When reading it, I was reminded of Locus' April Fools revelation about Jeff VanderMeer- that he was not real, that his writing consisted of works by a variety of different authors. What reminded me of this was the apparent ease that he switches between narrative voices. When many authors don't even write compelling stories in one narrative voice, Jeff's ability to write something good in first, second and third person can seem like the work of multiple people.

Anyway, this was quite a good book, and was quite grotesque. I also liked the story fragment at the end. After finishing the book, that fragment provided a bit of extra background to the book.

JeffV
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 01:40 pm:   

"Veniss Underground is not to be missed for several reasons. First, it's profoundly serious. In our own society, made daily more stupid by sitcoms, VanderMeer's relentlessly grim vision is a gift. Second, the book defines with surgical clarity the strength of the human heart, even a broken one, and the weakness of the flesh, even enhanced. And finally there's the writing." - CNN.com

Initial link under Books here:
http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/

Complete review here:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/books/07/01/review.veniss.underground/index.html

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 04:35 pm:   

Jeff,
Congrats on the CNN review! that is great! (rubbing hands together greedily, waiting for venis to go instantly out of print)

-jl

JV
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 05:27 pm:   

Thanks, Jeremy!! Let's hope!

JeffV

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 06:43 am:   

Very cool review. Let's hope it translates into lots of new readers.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 09:02 am:   

Excellent review, Jeff! And I absolutely love the cover art for the Tor UK edition. Do you know who that artist was for that?

montmorency
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 05:47 am:   

Hi Mr VanderMeer,

Hayakawa SF Magazine, a Japanese genre periodical, will carry a one-page review of your Veniss Underground this month. Unfortunately you cannot expect a great review as it is written by me. Well, at least better than the ones by Harriet Klausner, I hope, and any exposure would be better than none. Also, I ended up writing sperm whale and giant squid in it, and that's something.

jv
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 08:46 am:   

Hi! That's pretty cool, re the Japanese review. Any chance I can get a copy of it in English? If not, no worries.

Re it being a great review or not--did you like the book?

Best,

Jeff

montmorency
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 10:02 am:   

Sorry for the ambiguity. The book was great but the review was not. I came up with no new insights and not much worth putting it into English, to be frank.

At least I presented you with bells and tentacles: a champion fighting against the horde of Tolkien-clones to restore the vigor and grandeur of true fantasy; his battleground not confined to genre ghetto. He's also the man behind the current upheaval of small press publishing.

The pursuit of grotesque beauty through sf, horror, and fantasy culimates in the torrents of surreal images at the confrontation with the Wizard of Odds. Here's the new fantasy of our era... not verbatim, but that's what I wrote en effet.

By the way, Veniss Underground reminded me of many things, along with some minor works like Dydeetown World by F. Paul Wilson -- another Orpheus myth with organ bank -- and Paradox by John Meaney, set in the multi-layered underground city in the far future. You may not have read them but I felt, or imagined, their echo in your work.

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 10:50 pm:   

If I may contribute a little fan-boy adulation, I've just finished reading Veniss Underground and it was brilliant!!

I haven't yet gotten around to putting together a proper appraisal, complete with appropriate lit-crit terminology, but after a long time, this was a book that made me stay up all night feverishly reading on. I haven't been this thrilled with a book of fantastic fiction since the last Jeffrey Ford that I read. These Jeffs...

JV
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 07:10 am:   

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. I had fun with that third part because I wanted to make it a kind of can't-put-it-down joy ride. Because City of Saints generally has a slower pace, some people don't realize I can write that kind of stuff.

JeffV

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 06:40 am:   

I've lent Veniss Underground to a few friends here in India and the reactions have been pretty uniformly positive. Other friends, many from other cities are interested too, but sadly the book has not been released in India, as far as I can tell. Since not everyone who is interested can order online, do you have any idea whom I can badger publisher-wise to see about distributing it out here?

Sorry if I'm encroaching on your time with this question.

JV
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 06:56 am:   

I think it would almost have to have an Indian publisher for that. Do you think any would be interested?

If you had a bulk order from over 10 people, I'm sure Prime would be able to surface ship you copies from the US. Or you might be able to order from Slow Glass Books in Australia.

Thanks for the interest! No bother.

Jeff

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 03:53 am:   

Thanks for the information. Actually, a lot of Tor books do reach India, and I see the book is now on Tor UK, so perhaps I can try and disturb them regarding this.

Cheers and looking forward to the next one.

JP

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 10:36 am:   

Tor UK, and Tor US are not the same thing --- they use completely different distribution -- being able to get one is no garuntee of being able to get the other.

Tor UK is Pan MacMillian. If you can get Pan MacMillian Books, you can got TorUK books. Andy Richards at Cold Tonnage is a British Book dealer that does a lot of export to various parts of the world... you might try him at http://www.coldtonnage.com/

-jl

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 11:19 am:   

Actually, Tor US, Tor UK, and Pan MacMillian are all owned by VHPS, a German newspaper company. They also own St. Martin's, Farrar Strauss Giroux, Henry Holt, and others, so they are part of the same company. But you are correct in that they use different distributors.

JK

Liz
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 01:07 am:   

Jeff, huge congrats for VU making it to the Locus Recommended list for 2003!

LeslieWhat
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 11:26 am:   

What Liz said. Hope many new readers discover the book.

JV
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 02:23 pm:   

Oh, thanks, Leslie, and Liz!

Leslie--congrats on the new book coming out soon. I haven't read it yet, but Ann likes it a lot.

Jeff

Jonathan
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 08:51 pm:   

Hi Jeff

Don't know if this is of interest, but I was in one of the big chain bookstores on the weekend and they had a stack of VU on prominent display. Then went around to the local Target, and they had it too. So, it Looks like Pan in Australia is getting the book out there (at least here in Perth).

J

Luke
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 11:01 pm:   

My local bookstore in Tasmania has it on prominent display right at the front of the store, too. It's the first thing you see when you walk in. Looks like VanderMeer is conquering Oz.

JV
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 05:33 am:   

Thanks for letting me know, Jonathan and Luke. I'm really really glad to hear that!

JeffV

JV
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 12:50 pm:   

A review of Veniss by Marillier:

http://www.vianet.net.au/~marill/FAQwhatimreadingdec03.htm

Very nice of her to review it.

It strikes me, though, that some reviewers have mistaken a book about cruelty as instead a book that is cruel.

JeffV

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 08:48 am:   

Jeff: Just noticed that at SF Site the editors best books of the year selection is up. Veniss is #2 of the top ten. Not too shabby. Congratulations!!

Best,

Jeff

JV
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 11:20 am:   

Wow. Thanks for letting me know. I'll go check it out.

JeffV

JV
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 01:37 pm:   

Veniss on this best-of list, along with such works as Bangkok 8, which I totally forgot to put on my best-of-the-year for Fantastic Metropolis!

http://trashotron.com/agony/columns/2004/02-13-04.htm

Jeff

Neil Ayres
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 07:09 am:   

HI Jeff,

Just wanted to stop by and say that I've just finished Veniss Underground. Most impressed; loved the use of the different viewpoints.

JV
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 07:24 pm:   

Thanks, Neil! I'm glad you liked it!

Just learned Veniss made the reader's choice list at #2 for SF Site.

Jeff

http://www.sfsite.com/columns/best04b.htm

Victoria
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 06:30 am:   

Hi, just got my hands on the signed hardback Veniss Underground. An object of beauty and I haven't even opened it yet!

All the Best

V

JV
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 07:14 am:   

Thanks--I love the cover art by Myrtle Vondamitz III. I hope you enjoy it!
JeffV

JV
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 01:54 pm:   

Veniss become reality?

http://www.newscientist.com/opinion/opinterview.jsp;jsessionid=MBBGFFNMMKFF?id=ns24361

Jeff

JV
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 10:45 am:   

Victoria, a reader from London, suggests I use this drawing to improve my meerkat-drawing skills:

http://www.crockerfarm.org/ac/gr3/animals/Elisabethpic.htm

I think, actually, I'll suggest to Pan Mac that they use it as the cover to the mass market edition of Veniss Underground.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 05:36 pm:   

Oh you so should suggest that! ;)

Minsoo Kang
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 09:56 pm:   

No no. That's a goddamn weasel. A weasel, I tell you. What the hell is that kid trying to pull? Damn weasel drawer.

Rhys
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 03:09 am:   

You keep weasels in a drawer?

Villain! They belong in a cabinet!

victoria
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 05:42 am:   

LOL!

You should see the drawing Jeff did for me!

Now, if only I knew how to post attachments...

JV
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 06:38 am:   

LOL!

You'll probably want to see this thread:

http://www.nightshadebooks.com/discus/messages/15/2100.html?1079102183

JV
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 06:47 am:   

Veniss Underground has just sold to a Spanish publisher, apparently, called La Factoria.

JeffV

Brendan
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 07:21 am:   

Cool...I will open a bottle of Rioja in your honour...!

JV
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 11:47 am:   

Thanks, Brendan!
Jeff

JV
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 11:53 am:   

Thanks, Brendan!
Jeff

JV
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 12:35 pm:   

A listing for the Spanish version of Veniss:

http://tienda.cyberdark.net/tienda.php?mod=vProducto&cod=496&grupo=27

GabrielM
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 02:26 pm:   

I didn't realize it had been translated into Spanish. Very nice. I see they used the cover of the UK edition, which is my fave among the covers.

JV
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 06:45 am:   

I'm enjoying this google translation of part of the accompanying bio:

Jeff Vandermeer Nacio' in Pennsylvania in 1968 and resides at the moment in Tallahassee, Florida. It grew in the Fiji Islands, where their parents served in the pacification army. It studied Journalism and English Literature in the university of Florida in Gainesville, Florida.

Yes, we all served in the pacification army!

Jeff

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 07:04 am:   

Glad to see you're an object: it, (or people: they) rather than a person: he.

JK

GabrielM
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 10:05 am:   

I haven't read the Spanish original, but rest assured that what's happening is that in the second and third sentences the pronoun is not directly expressed. The translation program probably just adds "it" on these occasions as a matter of course, because there would be no way for it to tell the gender of the subject.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 11:59 am:   

The same thing happens with German when you translate it directly. It was a feeble joke that I over-explained.

:-)

JK

JV
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 12:44 pm:   

I thought it was funny. I love the whole idea of bad translations. I've thought of writing a book that way, but I'm not sure I could pull it off.

I *am* working on writing "Zamilon File" as a vast encryption, so that the surface story reads one way, but decrypted it reads another way entirely.

JeffV

GabrielM
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 01:06 pm:   

>>I love the whole idea of bad translations. I've thought of writing a book that way, but I'm not sure I could pull it off.

Well, check out ENGLISH AS SHE IS SPOKE, reprinted by McSweeney's through the Collins Library. It purports to be a Portuguese guide to English, but the authors didn't speak English and are said to have used a Portuguese-to-French dictionary and a French-to-English dictionary. There's some confusion about who actually wrote it. The results, however, are interesting.

JV
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 01:12 pm:   

That sounds rather cool.

Jeff

Simanoffstein
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 02:36 pm:   

Hilarious book. A little skimpy on plot and character, though.

As Gabe points out in his blog, the Collins Library is Worth Watching!

Luis
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 05:25 pm:   

"Well, check out ENGLISH AS SHE IS SPOKE, reprinted by McSweeney's through the Collins Library."

That's a great book. I had a link with some of its phrases, there's hilarious stuff in there.

Best,
Luís

Mike
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 11:16 am:   

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2002/04/01collins.html

JV
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 10:22 am:   

According to a little mouse, Veniss Underground has come in second in the Locus Awards poll for best first novel. I can live with that. The book came out from Prime so it wasn't available in most bookstores, and still came in second in a popularity contest. I can definitely live with that... :-)

JeffV

Clarkesworld
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 11:39 am:   

Congratulations! I heard that Cory Doctorow took first for Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom. Not bad company to be in. Both books were excellent.

-Neil

JV
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 11:47 am:   

Thanks!

Even funnier, Cory and I went to the same Clarion East workshop in 1992. It took us a damn long time to get our first novels out, didn't it?!

Jeff

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 06:52 pm:   

Congrats, Jeff, that's great news!

Minz
Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 07:23 am:   

Like fine wines . . .

jv
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 07:31 am:   

A new facelift for the Veniss site.

http://www.venissunderground.com/index.html

JV
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:01 am:   

World Fantasy Award--Veniss is a finalist for it. Yee-haw!

Congrats to all of the other nominees.

JeffV

des
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 09:15 am:   

Many congratulations from Des here. Well deserved.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:42 am:   

Many congratulations, Jeff! That's fabulous news. And the Diseases Guide too! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:59 am:   

Congrats, Jeff

JV
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:06 am:   

Thanks, Des, Dora, Lucius!

I believe (I may be wrong) that this may be one of the few times that someone has been a WFA finalist two years running as both an antho editor and a fiction writer. That's kind of gratifying.

JeffV

John Picacio
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:18 am:   

Hey, Jeff --

My god, dude. Does the Vandermeer Juggernaut know no bounds? Apparently not, thankfully! Chalk up yet another major nomination for the JV oeuvre. Congrats, man!!

See you soon,
John

JV
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:29 am:   

John:

I'm counting on it--and thanks. This time, there'll be more time to talk.

AWESOME Viator cover, by the way. Just awesome. Beautiful greens.

JeffV

Chris Roberson
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:36 am:   

I just saw the full list, myself. Good lord, Jeff, how many of these noms (and awards, for that matter) are you going to rack up before you're done? Your career it like some insatiable, disembodied hunger that feeds on rave reviews, nominations and awards. Where will it all lead? What award is safe? How much is enough? Oh, god, the humanity!

JV
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:46 am:   

I'm done. Tapped out. It's all downhill from here. They'll find me in a shack by a deserted beach in Mexico in 10 years, babbling to myself about meerkats.

JeffV

neilw
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:13 pm:   

See, Jeff, that's too bad. I ws going to suggest you enter for next year's Crufts. But if you're giving up, well...

neil

Brendan
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 01:28 pm:   

Good deal Jeff!

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 02:18 pm:   

They'll find me in a shack by a deserted beach in Mexico in 10 years, babbling to myself about meerkats.

What, instead of finding you currently in a non-deserted place in Florida, babbling to yourself about meerkats?

Anyway, congratulations on both nominations.

Neddal
Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 03:36 am:   

Cheers to both nominations.

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 04:03 am:   

congrats on the shack--i mean, nomination :-)

JV
Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 08:08 am:   

Thanks, guys. Robert--you are, of course, correct.

JeffV

Jonathan
Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:02 am:   

Jeff - Great news about the nomination. I think the book is terrific, and it's wonderful to see you up in the main event category. I don't know who's going to win, but Veniss would be worthy and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

gary gibson
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 03:33 pm:   

Of course, you'll be sitting on that beach in Mexico, then some guy is going to come wandering along and give you your 'best shack' nomination. My own congratulations, of course

JV
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 04:06 pm:   

Thanks, Jonathan!

And thanks, Gary. That's pretty funny.

I figure I'll just ride this until the wave gives out and I sink to the ocean floor. As it was, so it shall be again.

JeffV

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 04:47 am:   

Jeff - Congrats on both nominations!

When you sink to the ocean floor, will you be bubbling to yourself about meerkats...?

Rajan Khanna
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 05:13 am:   

Congratulations, twice over!

JV
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 10:22 am:   

Thanks, Kirsten and Rajan!

Just learned that Veniss will be published in Germany in hardcover and trade paperback from a large commercial publisher. More details as I have them.

JeffV

al duncan
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 01:41 am:   

Man, this completely passed me by somehow. Congratulations, Jeff. Thoroughly enjoyed the book meself. And second person narrative's one of those things that's really hard to pull off well, I think.

Trent Jamieson
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 02:42 am:   

Jeff, it really is a wonderful book. You should be very pleased. I can honestly say it made an oppressively hot summer bearable.

Fingers crossed (for you and Kirsten)
Trent Jamieson

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 03:01 am:   

Hi Jeff, sounds great.

Trent, do they have this one of Jeff's in Dymock's Brisbane. Another one that I need to catch up on!

Geoff (another one)

JV
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 06:31 am:   

Trent, Geoffrey, Al--Thanks!

Hey, it's tough re World Fantasy. I want to win but I don't want anyone else to lose, if you know what I mean. Best case scenario for me, honestly would be some kind of a three-way tie...but, then, Kij is an awesome writer, too. I haven't read the Wurtz, but I assume it must be good. I'm trying not to even think about it.

JeffV

Trent Jamieson
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 02:08 am:   

Whoever wins I'm sure will deserve it.

Geoff, we don't have it in stock, just sold out, but I checked with TOR's Australian distributor and can get copies. The reason we're out is the mass market paperback's due in December. I'm expecting it to do well. We've plenty of copies of City of Saints and Madmen in tho.

Trent

JV
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 06:32 am:   

Trent:

The mass market of Veniss will also include the related novella "Balzac's War".

JeffV

Trent Jamieson
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 12:43 am:   

Excellent, Jeff. There's nothing Australian book buyers seem to like more than thick books.

Don't know how it is in the US, but people here seem to be dubious of books unless they're at least 400 pages long. Maybe it gives them a sense of value for money or something - a big book is certainly useful for killing some of the monster cockroaches we have over here :-)

Trent

JV
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 06:00 am:   

Yeah--it's odd. I've gotten some comments to that effect. "Loved the book--shame it wasn't longer." When the whole point of Veniss was to boil it down to the essentials. LOL!

Well, they won't have the same problem with the next one--it's 130,000 words long. Veniss was 56,000.

JeffV

Tess
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 03:11 am:   

The mass market of Veniss will also include the related novella "Balzac's War".

*wails*
But I've already bought the trade paperback!

Tess
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 10:38 pm:   

(And of course, the very next story in Secret Life was...? Doofus.)

JV
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 09:46 am:   

I love good reviews that say things like "this is pretentious" or "this could have been VERY VERY BAD." I think I'll use those quotes. LOL!

Jeff

http://www.mervius.com/book_review.php?bID=222

John Klima
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 09:53 am:   

Yes but there's: "You also get less body fluid/organs fetish" which can't be good, can it? :-)

JK

JV
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 01:54 pm:   

LOL! Hey, I'm just happy to be reviewed. Anything else I say is just kidding around.

JeffV

Josh Lehto
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 11:09 pm:   

Some of my favorite books are pretentious (Time Traveler's Wife, The Golden Age, Fox Woman). To me it just means blatantly stylized or poetic (written with pretense). It's only a 'sin' when done badly. ;)

(Which Veniss wasn't.)

Josh

JV
Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 06:30 am:   

That's probably a minority definition of "pretentious". I did like the review, though!

JeffV

Josh Lehto
Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 12:22 pm:   

Well, I also us the term with the idea that, for mass market readers, the majority definition might accurately fit their poetry tolerance levels. But do we really care what they think? ;)

Happy to do it. Anything for dark mythological science fiction.

Josh

JV
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 07:26 am:   

The cover for the Tor UK mass market of Veniss. Er, yes, I know it's the same as the trade paper version, but it's got a few different words on the cover. Besides, it's a personally historic occasion: my first mass market paperback--out November 5th.
Jeff

Text description

montmorency
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 07:55 am:   

What's Balzac's War? Mine hasn't got that in it.

Ooops, congrats!

JV
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 07:59 am:   

It's a novella set in the same milieu as Veniss. It's in the collection Secret Life. One of my best pieces. I thought I'd throw it in for the mass market just to piss people off. :-) Most hardcore vanderfans will already have it through the Secret Life collection.

JeffV

montmorency
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 08:21 am:   

I confess I've got Secret Life but haven't had a peek in it. :-(

JP
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 01:15 am:   

The Tor UK mmpb is also out in India. Several of my friends have picked up their own copy, at least partly because the copy I'd lent them didn't have Balzac's War in it. Grr. But also: grreat!!

JV
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 06:15 am:   

Frankly, I need the mmpb of Veniss to do very well, so I'll take any advantage I can. Sorry if it pisses people off.

JeffV

JP
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 02:58 am:   

Oh, I'm not pissed off at all. Except possibly with myself for actually contemplating buying the new edition just for the additional novella when there's bills to pay and habits to feed...

JV
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 06:40 am:   

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=231182#post231182

A discussion of Veniss is ongoing with these book club members.

JeffV

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 06:32 am:   

Jeff, you need to realise that when people bitch about new, expanded editions coming out when they've already bought the earlier, unexpanded ones, *it means they love you, man!*

JV
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 06:36 am:   

LOL! Okay, yeah. I just always feel a vague sense of guilt, and yet I get the sense it's always gonna be this way with me...

Jeff

JV
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 08:53 pm:   

A very nice review of Veniss.

http://www.sfcrowsnest.com/articles/books/2005/nz7607.php

Somewhat stream-of-consciousness review-wise. I don't know why, but it just seems that way.

Never had the word "stonkingly" used in connection with one of my books before.

JeffV

JV
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 06:38 pm:   

Can only find a small gif online right now of the Bantam cover of Veniss...

September 2005.

Text description

Forrest
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 11:50 am:   

So, Jeff, I'm curious if you have a favorite out of all the covers for Veniss? Or are they like children - you have to love them all, though you like some better at certain times? :-)

JV
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 01:30 pm:   

I love 'em all.

Another review.

http://tonight.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=2423899&fSectionId=358&fSetId=251

Jeff

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 04:48 pm:   

The proper response on the night shade message boards is "I liked the Night Shade cover best!".

;)

JV
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 04:56 pm:   

I love Jeremy.

How's that?

Jeff

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 07:35 pm:   

Close enough. Carry on.

JV
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 09:03 pm:   

Will do. :-)

Jeff

Midori Snyder
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 10:29 am:   

Hey Jeff,

I turned a teacher friend onto the novel--and now that he has his kids reading it (a new class each semester)he's just discovered it's out of print. Can that be? Is it available anywhere else? He's got 13 copies stockpiled...but would love another 35 copies.

Thanks!

Nathan
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 07:55 pm:   

Midori, the Bantam Spectra trade paperback edition only just came into print! Check Amazon.

JV
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 09:47 am:   

Oh, cool!!! Thanks for that!

Yeah--it's readily orderable. The Bantam-Spectra edition.

JeffV

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration