Graphic Novels Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » VanderMeer, Jeff » Graphic Novels « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JV
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 02:29 pm:   

Just out of curiosity--anyone had any experience doing graphic novels? I think my novella "Balzac's War," and a couple of other novellas would make good graphic novels. But the problem is, although I've had interest, the terms sucked. Humanoids Publishing had some interest in Veniss Underground, but their terms meant that that universe would belong to them and anyone they wanted could use it, and I wouldn't be able to use it without permission.

That kind of thing I'm not interested in at all.

But how would I get something considered in this arena--commercial or indie publisher. Would I have to turn it into a script first or just send the material to a publisher?

I'm sure there are guidelines somewhere online. I'm distrustful of books on the subject because they tend to date quickly.

JeffV

Forrest
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 05:50 pm:   

John Picacio knows a fair amount about this sort of thing. He and I discussed it for a while back at WFC in DC. He's the man!

William Lexner
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 10:44 pm:   

Dabel Brothers specializes in comics and graphic novels translated from fantasy. They've tended towards the bestsellers thus far doing adaptions of George R.R. Martin, Robert Jordan, Ray Feist, and Dragonlance, but I know they are very interested in expanding. In fact, they were at WFC this year, if only for one day.

Their quality is high in both art and production, and the owners (the Dabels) are among the most honest people I have ever known. They certainly would not try to gain rights over your property. I'm not in business with them, but I did go to high school with the CEO, so have known him for quite some time.

I reccomend at least emailing them.

http://www.dabelbrothers.com/home.html

Peggy
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 06:38 am:   

Jeff, Rick Klaw and Mark Finn have both worked in the comics industry--if they can't answer your questions, I bet they know someone who can.

JV
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 08:09 am:   

Thanks, guys. Appreciate it! I'll follow up as you suggest.

JeffV

John Picacio
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 09:12 am:   

Hey, man --

I appreciate the props from Forrest. Thanks, Forrest.

I wouldn't say that I'm an expert by any stretch, but I'll second the motion to check out what the Dabel Brothers are doing. The fact that George R. R. Martin is working heavily with them speaks well. I'm not endorsing them as I haven't worked with them to this point, but I did get to meet them at WFC/Madison and they struck me as genuinely good and sincere guys. It might be worth your while to research them and see what they're about. Chris Roberson knows a lot more about comics than I do. You might check with him, and see if he has a thought on graphic novel publishers.

Good luck, man.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration