Bantam Spectra Edition of Veniss Unde... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » VanderMeer, Jeff » Bantam Spectra Edition of Veniss Underground « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JeffV
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 08:58 am:   

Text description

This month, Bantam has re-released Veniss Underground with three stories and a novella (all also available in Secret Life, I have to admit). I hope people will pick up a copy. This is my first book in the US from a major publisher (excepting the fake disease guide, which I only edited) and I hope it will do well.

More info below--links, etc.

Jeff

Amazon Link
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553383566/ref=ed_oe_p/104-0996834-0074369?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Bantam Spectra Newsletter
http://www.randomhouse.com/bantamdell/spectra/newsletter/

Reader Comments from Spectra Edition

"What started out weird and totally strange ended up as a story of strength, love and courage. I was fascinated with the devotion of Shadrach to atone for his 'sin' and salvage his life and the life of his lover; the bizarre world of Veniss Underground added a wonderful depth and backdrop to the tale. Jeff VanderMeer has a marvelous way with words and images, evoking great emotion from his twisted and
fantastic world." Don S., Littleton, CO

"What is thought-provoking and terrifying and made this book very worthwhile is how much of the seed of the Veniss Underground world is already sown in our own. It truly is a speculation of what may lie in our future. It was not an easy book to read but, as I already mentioned, very much worthwhile. I really enjoyed the author's use of language and wish I were as adept at it as he. Sigrun S.,
London, Ontario, Canada

"A unique story. Alternately amazed and horrified at the depth of Jeff VanderMeer's
imagination, I remained glued to the pages. Enjoyable and intense. Debra G., Wolcott, CT

"A tale of post-cyberpunk that includes elements of horror. VanderMeer is a master in describing this futuristic world of Veniss. Readers of science fiction will appreciate his style and ability to give the reader a sense of possible advancements in technology along with examples of where science may not want to go. I highly
recommend this book." Michael M., Wauchula, FL

"A peek at a scary futuristic Earth where I felt horrified at what Jeff VanderMeer's imagination could produce. I could not believe that even with all this horror, he could make me see beauty also. I was surprised to find myself at times near tears. This book had passages that stuck with me after I read it. I really respect an author who can create a vision in my mind that lasts." Patricia R., Lombard, IL

"A departure from the typical science fiction or fantasy fare...an enjoyable tale, providing the reader an escape into a universe filled with mystery. The stories in Veniss Underground offer the reader an opportunity to glimpse a different universe, one not seen through rose-colored glasses. This is a novel that fans of fantasy
or science fiction will enjoy." Michael K., Sweet Valley, PA

"This very powerful book tells of the age-old story of the strength of true love, that of a brother and sister, and man and a woman. This story will amaze you, thrill you, defeat you, and renew you when love conquers." Judy H., Lebanon, MO

Jeffrey Thomas
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 02:17 am:   

Bought one today to add to my collection of editions! (Three SO FAR...) ;)

Eric S
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 09:48 am:   

I do particularly like the cover of this edition.--E

Jeffrey Thomas
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 08:24 pm:   

I do too...it's hard for me to pick a favorite, as they've all been so great. Prime's, Night Shade's, the British edition and now this one. I like its raised print, too. Very handsome design. (The two figures, I think, nicely represent Nicholas and Nicola.) But I guess I'd still go with Night Shade's; so classy, lovely.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration