Pan Macmillan (UK) and Calmann-Levy (... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » VanderMeer, Jeff » Pan Macmillan (UK) and Calmann-Levy (France) Deals « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JV
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 06:44 am:   

After this I'll just add stuff like this to the Son of New News thread, but I'm quite excited about both of these deals, so...

Peter Lavery at Pan Macmillan has taken Shriek: An Afterword, the new novel. It will be published as a general Pan Macmillan book, in order to tap into both genre and mainstream literary readers. I don't know the publication date at this time.

Sebastien Guillot at Calmann-Levy in France has taken City of Saints & Madmen for publication in 2006. The book will be released as part of a new genre-crossing imprint. Calmann-Levy thinks City of Saints will be very successful marketed to the same general fiction readers who made House of Leaves a great success there last year. (I have to thank Ellen Kushner for her help on this...)

Re Shriek--thought I'd just post the description of it that my agent was sending around, to give a little more context about the book.

JeffV

By the wet, glistening outdoor lamps, I could see the beginning of a vast, almost invisible migration—from the broken remains at our feet, from the burgundy bell-shaped fungi, from the inverted wine glasses, from the yellow-green nodules. Like ghosts, like spirits, a million tiny fruiting bodies, in a thousand intricate shapes, like terrestrial jellyfish—oh, what am I trying to say so badly except that they were beautiful, gorgeous, as they fled out the window, to be taken by the wind. In the faint light. Soundlessly. Like souls…In that moment, almost in tears from the combination of exhaustion and fear of the unknown, I think I caught a glimpse of what my brother Duncan saw; of what had created the ecstasy I had seen in him.
- From Shriek: An Afterword

Epic yet personal, Shriek: An Afterword is a tragi-comic family account covering several decades in the author's imaginary Ambergris, a city previously chronicled in the critically acclaimed City of Saints & Madmen. Narrated with flamboyant intensity by ex-society figure Janice Shriek under increasingly urgent conditions, the novel presents a vivid gallery of characters and events, including a historian obsessed with a doomed love affair and a secret that may kill or transform him; a war between rival publishing houses that threatens to change Ambergris forever; and a marginalized people known as "gray caps," armed with advanced fungal technologies, waiting underground for their chance to mold the true future of the city. This is the story of the Family Shriek, a novel of love, life, and death that adds depth and breadth to the Ambergris Cycle.

al duncan
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 06:47 am:   

Congratulations, Jeff! As I've already said, can't wait to read it!

neilw
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 12:51 am:   

Likewise, Jeff. That's excellent to hear.

Liz W
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 02:41 am:   

Great news, Jeff! congratulations!

JV
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 06:02 am:   

Thanks, guys!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration