Secret Lives Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » VanderMeer, Jeff » Secret Lives « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JV
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 11:06 am:   

My new book project. Out in March/April 2005.

Limited Edition
http://www.primebooks.net/books/book_detail.asp?isbn=554

Lettered Edition
http://www.primebooks.net/books/book_detail.asp?isbn=555

JV
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 08:06 am:   

Via email, some readers have asked for more info about the artist, who will also be doing interior sketches for the book.

Here's some info. I think he's really incredible.

Cover Artist Terry Rentzepis works in acrylic, creating morphed characters drenched in emotion. Believing in the power of the quiet, his canvases catch still moments, with an emotional impact that makes you feel like you are intruding on his characters. Rentzepis just completed his first gallery show in Miami, Florida. Terry’s work has been published in Fifteen Project, Retort Magazine, Poetic Inhalation, and Razorcake Magazine. For more information, visit his website at: www.alltenthumbs.com

JV
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 08:10 am:   

Here's that cover, btw.

Jeff

Text description

JV
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 08:11 am:   

Here's that cover, btw. Luis Rodrigues is doing the cover design, and Robert Wexler will be doing the interior design. Anyone who has seen Robert's Circus of the Grand Design means that adds up to a beautifully designed book.

Jeff

Text description

J. Erik Lundberg
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 09:42 am:   

Wow, that is just beautiful, Jeff. It's so cool that you're able to have such wonderful covers on your books.

JV
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 10:58 am:   

It was an act of fate--Terry emailed me with a link to his site just as this project was coming together. I already knew that I needed a different look-and-feel--more contemporary, less dark fantasy/less pseudo-Victorian/Boschian--for this project. And I went to the website thinking, "Eh--probably not worth my time," just because I get like 20 artists a month sending me their links and it's usually just not right for what I need...and I go there and staring me in the face is the perfect style for the project. Go figure. If Terry had emailed me a couple of weeks later, I might have already been locked in with someone else.

And the best thing is, Terry is doing interior black-and-white art, too. It's going to be a beautiful, luminous project.

Jeff

JV
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 08:54 am:   

A nice photo of Terry in his studio. We had a chance to meet him and his wife Sheri while in Ft. Lauderdale visiting relatives.

JeffV

Text description

Mike S.
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 09:32 am:   

I find it fascinating how someone who paints like that looks so ... normal! Or ... wait, why are his hands cropped out of the photo? Does he have three fingers? Are they blue? Are they FLIPPERS?

JV
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 10:34 am:   

Mike:

*You* look normal and you paint like one of the Old Ones' God children.

JeffV

Mike S.
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 11:34 am:   

That statement is misleading on both counts!

StephenB
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 02:41 pm:   

Nice cover Jeff. The title is so close to your other collection that I actually thought it was a different print of that collection.

Just because the cover artist is pretty average, somewhat conventional, looking... doesn't mean he has an average mind or is a conventional person. Good artists of any kind aren't either of those things.

JV
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 06:04 am:   

Stephen:

I am rather worried about confusion on the titles. I thought about "The Secret Lives of Ordinary People" or "The Secret Lives of (Extraordinary) People" but the publisher hates both of those. For once in my life, I'm kind of at a loss re the title. It needs to have "Secret Lives" in it, though.

JeffV

EricS
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 11:41 am:   

If you are concerned about title confusion, how about giving the number of secret lives at the beginning of the title: e.g. 101 Secret Lives

JV
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 11:42 am:   

That's a cool idea!!

David Kirkpatrick
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 01:49 pm:   

If you turn it around, it makes a wonderful college course:

'Secret Lives 101: In this course students will explore the underlying urges that drive apparently unremarkable individuals to adopt non-mainstream roles, using a series of case histories to exemplify dominant themes within this intriguing population subgroup. Pre-requisites: Sociology 413, Intro. Behavior 212, Abnormal Psych. 202."

JV
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 02:03 pm:   

LOL!

Hey--I did your secret life, didn't I?

I'm definitely tending toward changing the title to put the number in front of Secret Lives.

Jeff

David Kirkpatrick
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 05:35 pm:   

Yep, you did an expose on my secret life; I'm on the Zeising catalog list and was more than happy to take you up on the offer. I've ordered the book too, as I'm looking forward to seeing the other lives. Are you using a selection of them, or publishing them all? As I said in an earlier email to you, feel free to use mine...

JV
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:07 am:   

David:

I will probably be using all of them, but definitely using yours.

JeffV

JV
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 09:08 am:   

Terry Rentzepis is having a sale on prints that might be of interest. Some cool stuff. It's only for friends and family--or friends of friends, and Terry said I could post something here. The usual prices are much, much higher.

JeffV

Text description

From Terry:

Hello and happy holidays! I have worked out a deal with my printer, which is allowing me to offer a great Savings on some of my prints! I am only going to offer this deal through January…
So take advantage of it! The prints are 12X15 (my small sized prints) and are limited edition giclee’s on 100% Cotton rag archival water color paper! I am not putting this special on my site! This is extended only to friends and family and
Anyone they deem worthy! Order them through this e-mail: st626@bellsouth.net See the flyer for specifics and prints available! Go to the site to view or purchase any other works!
The site is www.alltenthumbs.com
Thanks
terry

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration