Two New VanderMeers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » VanderMeer, Jeff » Two New VanderMeers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JV
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 06:27 pm:   

We have added two new VanderMeers to the family...

Evan Del Rio (Duran Duran for short)

Text description

Jango (alternatively known as Jango man or Jango Mango)

Text description

Del Rio is a year old and has been in foster homes since he was a kitten. Jango was brought to the humane society in June when his owner was called up to serve in Afghanistan and couldn't find anyone to take his cat.

JeffV

Tessa
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 08:32 pm:   

Jango has a bat face. Big eyes, big ears. Verra cute. :-)

Theodora Goss
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 08:46 pm:   

Hurray! It's always a good day when a cat finds a home. They're both lovely! :-)

JV
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 05:43 am:   

BTW--while I'm thinking about it. The best catnip mice in the world are made here:

http://www.drdaniels.com/

For some reason, every cat we've ever known will go nuts for these mice and these mice only. Jango was going nuts over a 4-year-old catnip mouse he found in a corner!
JeffV

Neddal
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 06:32 am:   

Cats rule. People who adopt homeless cats rule. Evan looks like he's up to something, like Stewie from the Family Guy.

EDatlow
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 12:57 pm:   

Congrats on the new family members. Jango is fascinating looking.

I get catnip carrots for my cats--that's the only catnip "creature" they're interested in. I've sent the carrots to London with John Clute for his and Judith's cat Pepys and to Ilsa Bick for her cat(s). Dunno if they available online --I get them at the petfood and supply store around teh corner.

EDatlow
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 12:59 pm:   

Actually, they are available online.

http://www.thecatconnection.com/Ratherbee-Catnip-Carrot.html

JV
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 02:48 pm:   

Thanks, Ellen. It's kind of a weird picture of Jango. But he's got really really round eyes, much more so than our other cats. Which makes him look kind of goofy.

Catnip carrots! They offer those on the site I sent the link to, too. Don't know if they're the same kind. They also offer Halloween themed catnip mice.

It's really funny, the eccentricities of cats. That's why we love them, I think.

JeffV

EDatlow
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 08:47 pm:   

Jeff,
When I googled I found those carrots on a bunch of sites--and cheaper than what I pay but with postage they'd probably cost the same.
Eventuallly the carrot start dribbling catnip all over the bed from the teethmarks and I have to replace it as it gets thinner ...and thinner.....and thinnnnnner. ;-)

JV
Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 06:35 am:   

That's funny!

Yeah, after about three or four days, these catnip mice start looking really ragged, and you'd think they'd stop being attractive to the cats. But we've kept some for years and they keep being pulled out and loved on like they still have new catnip in them. I wonder if Dr. Daniels has "cut" the catnip with some kind of kitty crack.

JeffV

al duncan
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 02:59 am:   

I don't know. Cats. Ye just can't trust 'em.

Kittens especially.

Luís
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 09:00 am:   

They're never what they appear to be.

JV
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 07:01 am:   

http://www.infinitecat.com/

Also, our cats have now settled in completely. We're very lucky--very little hissing now from our old cat, and the two newbies--who have picked up the nicknames "Little Napoleon" and "Mobster"--are very comfortable with each other. Last night, we had Little Napoleon on one side, on his back so we could scratch his chest, and Mobster on the other, also on his back, all stretched out, for the chest scratching. I'd say they're feeling pretty relaxed and comfortable!

As I was telling Ann, when I got up this morning to do my stomach crunches, I had all three cats around me, trying to get pettings. It was hilarious. Shosh would hang around by my head, while Little Napoleon and Mobster were by each of my feet, waiting for me to get to the stretching part so I could pet them, and in the meantime rubbing up against my feet. Then, Mobster followed me to the exercise bike and as soon as I started up on it, got this startled look, did a double-take, and ran away. A minute later, Little Napoleon poked his head around the doorway to take a look at this new phenomenon, did that little head bob of his, looked for a few seconds, got a wild-eyed look, and ran away. A few minutes after that, Mobster pokes his head around the corner, does this loud sniffing thing (He has the largest nostrils of any cat I've ever seen), and runs away again.

jeffV

PS Obviously, in my dotage, I'm going to wind up in a three-story house with 30 cats and no electricity.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 08:24 am:   

At least you can power the house momentarily each morning while you ride your bike.

JK

Theodora Goss
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 10:00 am:   

"PS Obviously, in my dotage, I'm going to wind up in a three-story house with 30 cats and no electricity."

With thirty cats, who needs electricity?

Jamie
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 07:29 pm:   

With thirty cats, you could run the house with static electricity.

JV
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 02:05 pm:   

Jango has begun to pick up nicknames at an alarming rate...

Meathead
Hound dawg
Mobster
Chunky
Big Butte
Happycat
Lord Cat
Funkymonkey
Bigpaw
Hyperboy

Luís
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 12:46 pm:   

"Obviously, in my dotage, I'm going to wind up in a three-story house with 30 cats and no electricity."

You can use your cats as a perpetual motion engines. It's very simple: you know how cats always fall on their feet, right? And you know how buttered toast always falls with the butter side down? It logically follows that if you butter the cat's back, and then drop it, it will rotate incessantly, trying to fall on both sides and never actually touching the ground. All you need now is to strap a generator to the cat, and let there be light!

Best,
Luís

Luís
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 12:48 pm:   

That should be "your cats as perpetual motion engines." I have to stop trying to think of every possible way to phrase a sentence while writing it.

JV
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 06:22 pm:   

Maybe I should just have Steve Redwood come over to your place and butter *your* back and see how you feel about *that*, Mr. Rodrigues...

JeffV
;)

Luís
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 10:56 pm:   

No butter. I use only blueberry jam.

JV
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 10:37 am:   

Some new photos of our cats from the holidays. Along with, for kicks, blurry, bad photos of the wild pig that charged me and my friend Moshe on a nature trail. I call them the Blair Pig Project Photos.

Jeff

Text description

Text description

Text description

Text description

Text description

Text description

Text description

Text description

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration