Ghost Cat and Happy Dog: Mini-Stories Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » VanderMeer, Jeff » Ghost Cat and Happy Dog: Mini-Stories « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JV
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 01:42 pm:   

This is one of the odder photos I've seen in awhile. My sister sent it to me. I offer it up in case anyone would like to post some little mini-stories inspired by it to this thread. Or not.

Text description

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 02:20 pm:   

If Catherine and Heathcliff had only known what their karma had in store for them...

Minsoo Kang
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 01:03 am:   

Bonkers felt a chill of terror down his furry spine when he thought to himself: "How can you chase something that isn't even alive?"

Luís
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 03:45 am:   

Happy dog? It seems a little startled to me. No, it's probably just the wind . . .

Jamie
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:14 pm:   

I remember running around the house, batting each other with our paws. We were the best of friends, weren't we? Then they came and took you away, and they closed that door behind them when they left.

Sometimes I think I can see something on the other side.

Matthew Rossi
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 01:50 am:   

Schroedinger's Dog was always nervous as hell.

stuff
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 06:19 am:   

Happy Dog was not a happy dog now the realisation had struck home that Ghost Cat really was a ghost cat. He wondered how long before he became Ghost Dog and there was instead a Happy Cat.

EricS
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 10:11 am:   

Catching sight of his reflection in the door, the dog realized the truth of what the old ones said: your reflection does reveal your hidden nature.

Anon
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 10:55 am:   

Reincarnated, Lovecraft stared at Derleth, and Derleth stared at Lovecraft.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 08:22 am:   

When Happy Dog turned to show the woman the hitch-hiking cat he had picked up down the road, it was gone, remembered only be a ghostly afterimage that still burned in his mind's eye.

The woman said, "I don't understand what you mean dearie, my cat disappeared 20 years ago."

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 05:26 pm:   

Ralph, the Happy Dog, wasn't sure what it was in the leftovers he'd eaten for dinner that was affecting him so badly - perhaps it was the mushroom pie - but in any case he could feel his eyes bulging in their sockets and on his tongue was the unmistakable taste of dead cat. When he heard the sound of the little bell and saw the ghostly eyes staring at him, as if they were seeking to capture his poor little doggy soul, the guilt that he had suppressed for years came flooding back to him. He really hadn't meant to kill her - he'd been a puppy at the time - it was just a playful romp gone wrong, at least that's what he told himself. "Tinkerbell," he asked nervously, "is that really you?"

Jamie
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 05:52 am:   

Here I thought you were going to reveal the leftovers were Chinese take-out.

Michael Hemmingson
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:13 am:   

After I died in 1832, I crossed the pancake called time and love looking for her -- my mate, my nexus, the one I loved. I died in her arms in 1832. When I finally found her in 2006, she was not as I remembered her. Yes, her outer features were different, but I knew who she was. When she saw me looking at her in that window, I knew I looked a lot different than I did in 1832.

Iain Rowan
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 05:02 am:   

"Forgive me Father Cat, for I have sinned. It has been five dog years since my last confession."

jv
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 06:03 am:   

awesome! all of them!
jeff

JV
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 12:50 pm:   

I envision this as the sequel photo. What happened between the first and second photos to bring us to this crisis? Is this the shadowy figure behind the clouded door? Or some third player? ( cribbed this off of Charlie Stross' blog, by the way.)

Jeff

Text description

AliceB
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 06:30 am:   

"Just one little prick, and you can join me... You'll feel so-o much better. Trust me..."

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:23 pm:   

"Don't worry, Ralph," Dr Dog said through gritted teeth, 'I've got the antidote to those magic mushrooms your owners "accidentally" fed you.' Despite the cat hallucinations he was experiencing, Ralph the Trippy Dog was not all convinced by Dr Dog's manner. In fact, he began to suspect that this wasn't Dr Dog at all, but Tinkerbell's ghost messing with his fried doggy brain. Cats, he knew, even dead ones where pretty good at that sort of thing.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 06:10 am:   

One cat down and Happy Dog is none the wiser. He thinks it's window stick on leftover from the Halloween holiday. So many more cats, if it only wasn't so difficult to reach my paw to the plunger while I hold this bloody syringe in my...oh bollocks.

Iain Rowan
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 02:50 pm:   

Heheheheheheh. St Bernard's? Aheheheheheh. Brandy? Heheheh. Like, ooooooh! Brandy! Hehahahahaha. Next time you're in an avalanche try some of *my* reviver. Heheheheh. Brandy? Feh. I used to be a Great Dane, before I started using and my skin all fell off. Aheheheh. Want to see if we can, like, bounce around really high as fast as we can? Cool! Aheheheheh.

Minsoo Kang
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 04:30 pm:   

"Is it safe?" Doktor Totenhund asked Bonkers again. "Is it safe?"

nekojade
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 08:24 pm:   

The dog with the crushed face would allow the spastic chihuahua to give him the drugs. He would need them; the cat had almost figured out how to open the door.

stuff
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 05:40 am:   

Stick that head on a plate and you have a pretty accurate representation of how I saw John the Baptist in Veniss...
and i thought my dog was the most pyschopathic on the planet.

JV
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 01:28 pm:   

I have finally found the photo for the third installment of our epic story...Please: fire at will...

JeffV

Text description

Squang
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 01:57 pm:   

On the way to hell, I paused, and looked over my shoulder. There he was again. In the tutu. And so was his dog. Not in the SAME one, you understand, but none-the-less. I shrugged, turned back towards hell, and carried on.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 05:10 pm:   

"I swear Matilda! Ghost Cat was at least this big! This big!"

AliceB
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 06:59 pm:   

One injection each and--wham--they bulked up, almost instantaneously. Swallowing his envy, Happy Dog applauded Red-eyed Chi-Chi's dramatic transformation. "Next time Ghost Cat appears, you'll dance circles around him." "You'll always be my partner, Happy Dog." [cue swelling music]

Tamar
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 06:36 am:   

The dog kissed the cat. The cat kissed the chihuahua. The chihuahua turned into a fairy godmother.

nekojade
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:11 pm:   

A keg of beer in a tutu balanced precariously on thick stilts. The fairy goddog prepared for a territorial urination as a micronized Princess Leia stared at the ground. All in all, a very successful Renaissance Festival.

pnw
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:27 pm:   

"I ask for a noble steed-" Quoth the Hairy Godmother- "and this is what I get?"

JV
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 10:41 am:   

And for the concluding installment...

Text description

Mr. The Denby
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 01:15 pm:   

Some of you have questioned my methods; some of you have laughed at my failures. Now, as my face leers from all of your screens, you shall know...my MELON HAT!

Iain Rowan
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 03:17 pm:   

The mice were beginning to regret that they had ever thought that a cheese-firing catapult could be an effective deterrent.

AliceB
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 05:03 pm:   

Oh no. Happy Dog and Red-Eyed Chi-Chi are on to me. Beam me up, Tabby.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration