Intestitial recordings... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Interstitial Arts Foundation » Music and interstitiality » Intestitial recordings... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 09:25 am:   

First, I'm quite flattered to have my CD mentioned on the Artists Without Borders site.

I have been thinking about what recordings I would put on an interstitial music list. First, there are two recordings I want to highlight to illustrate my thought process on this. Both blend heavy metal and jazz.

Athiest - Elements: This alternates sections between heavy metal and jazz. You have one section that is jazz, then it stops and suddenly metallic guitars and drums come in (along with growled vocals). This isn't something I consider insterstitial - it's not between metal and jazz, but switches back and forth. Somehow, this switching doesn't strike me as interstitial.

Cynic - Focus: This blends metal guitar and jazz-fusion. It's a fairly seemless blend, so it's not that suddenly you switch from jazz to metal, but each song contains riffs that occupy the continuum between the two. Since they don't sit firmly in jazz or metal, but occupy a shifting ground between the two, I do consider them interstitial.

To put it simply, Athiest jumps back and forth between the genres and is never really between the genres. Cynic wanders in between the genres and isn't quite in either one. That's why I consider Cynic interstitial and Athiest to not be.

Some others that I have considered:

Afro Celt Sound System: A blending of African traditional, Celtic folk and electronica. It mixes from all three and sometimes this highlights how similar they can be (there are some melodies that sound either Celtic or North African depending on when I hear them).

Angelite & Huun-Huur-Tu - Fly, Fly My Sadness: This mixes two styles of "world" music. You have a Bulgarian Women's choir and Tuvan throat singers. While it is technically a "world" music CD, the combination of different traditional styles has created something that doesn't fit easily into Bulgarian or Tuvan music.

Dead Can Dance: Here is an interstitial band that did find it's audience. While fairly well known, their music really isn't part of any genre, but mixes freely from multiple genres. The music is part gothic rock, part medieval, part world music. They managed to create music that isn't fully in "world" or "medieval" or "gothic", but somewhere between.

Brian Eno & David Byrne - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts: World music, electronica and funk.

Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden: This could be one of those interstitial recordings that later became part of a genre retroactively. This is abstract rock, not really songs but meandering compositions, highly improvised, drawing from jazz and blues in a way I haven't heard prior to them. At the time they came out, nothing sounded like this. However, a few years later their first follower popped up (Bark Psychosis) and the term "post-rock" was coined for them. Later, more bands fell into post rock (including Sigur Ros and Godspeed You Black Emperor), and Talk Talk was retroactively considered the founder of the genre.

Comments? Other suggested recordings?

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 12:15 pm:   

Anything by Dread Zeppelin. Elvis impersonator as frontman, doing reggae versions of Led Zeppelin (as well as at least one CD of '70s non-Zeppelin hits). It doesn't get much more cross-genre than that.

Another one, but this is just a song, not a whole CD: String Cheese Incident's bluegrass version of Snoop Dogg's "Gin & Juice". Misogynistic gangsta rap with twang and a drawl.

Brendan
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 01:04 pm:   

Does Dread Zeppelin still exist? I remember seeing them live a few times about ten years ago . . . Not that they were the bands I was actually going to see, but rather an openning band . . . So that is interstitial music? . . . What about interstitial food? . . . Caviar and peanut butter crepes . . . Fried doves' eggs on a sprouted wheat bagel . . .

Midori
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 02:22 pm:   

I really enjoy a group called Fiamma Fumana. They are a mix of Italian techno and Scottish celtic. Impossible to explain until you hear them--singing in Italian with a driving techno beat and the sudden eruption of bagpipes and mouth music. Weirdly--like most great Interstitial music--it works. The other music that has captured my ear is Bhangra--a modern mix of Indian (Punjabi folktunes--but often sung in Hindi) mixed with hiphop beats and reggae and mostly written by second generation Indians in England (I think I have that right...one thing about Interstital stuff it acquires such a complicated pedigree!) It's not just one idiom of music trying to imitate another (more Western?) but a transformation of both of them into a new expression--

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 05:14 pm:   

Brendan, Dread Zeppelin came through town here in Madison a few years ago, but that's the last I heard of them. Not that I was looking particularly hard, but that IS the last I've heard of them.

Brendan
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 11:50 pm:   

I would like to see a good biographical film about them...

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 08:38 am:   

I can't imagine what such a film would be like. Sort of Spinal Tap, I'd guess. Sort of . . .

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 12:23 pm:   

Yes, I was thinking along the lines of Spinal Tap.

ellen Kushner
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 07:44 am:   

Midori, I like Fiamma Fumana too!

I'm posting more about World Music/Interstitial back in the main thread...

TinaChancey
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 11:04 am:   

My group, Hesperus, seems to qualify for interstitiality. After being categorized as a crossover group going beyond boundaries for so long, it's nice to find ourselves within a group. We do early music, traditional music (both North American folk and World music) and fusions of the two. Scott Reiss and I are trained in Old-Time, Irish and Cajun as well as medieval, renaissance and baroque; we collaborate with musicians like Bonnie Rideout (Scottish fiddle), Mike Seeger, Andes Manta (Ecuadorian folk), Flory Jagoda (Sephardic).Our latest collaboration is with film--our Robin Hood Project accompanies Douglas Fairbanks' 1922 silent film with renaissance music from the time of Henry VIII.
I'd love to hear from interested people. Tina Chancey

Ellen Kushner
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 12:06 pm:   

I just saw the Hesperus/Fairbanks "Robin Hood" film at the Boston MFA on Saturday - it's wonderful!! I've been a fan of the group's for years; it was a pleasure to see them live, and I look forward to playing with them in the Interstitial world, and expanding all horizons.

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 06:59 am:   

So what do you think? Is the work of Hesperus interstitial? Info at
http://www.hesperus.org/crossoverprograms.htm

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration