A shot over the bow for music Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Interstitial Arts Foundation » Music and interstitiality » A shot over the bow for music « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Devereux
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 11:35 am:   

Reading Forrest's board, I've been wondering how these ideas could be applied to music.

As far as I know, there is no market for music magazines. I don't mean magazines about music, but something similar to how writing magazines function - ones that allow musicians to write stand-alone compositions and combine them onto a CD.

I know there are label samplers that some labels put out, there are occasional compilations based around themes. But I can't think of any musical equivalents of Polyphony, Argosy, Nemonymous or any of the magazines for the written word. And as I think about this, I wonder if there is even an audience for this sort of thing.

Now, dealing with Forrest's points:
> 1. Identify viable markets for short interstitial fiction.

Are there markets for short interstitial music?

> 2. More importantly, compile a list of agents who would be excited about
> representing good interstitial authors and their work.

Maybe this could be adapted to "compile a list of managers and promoters who would be excited about representing good interstitial musicians and their work.

> 3. Recruit from the "outside". Most of the people involved in the
> interstitial movement are genre writers who dabble in the mainstream.

I'm not sure who interstitial musicians would be, so who is the "outside"?

> 4. Identify conventions/events that are interstitial-friendly.

If I remember correctly, Neurosis puts on a festival in the SF Bay area, and the combination of bands is really eclectic. I think this could be an event that would be friendly towards interstitial music.

Any other ideas?

> 5. Identify academic institutions that support creative writing programs
> for interstitial work. And those that support the study of interstitial
> work.

Academic institutions that support music programs for interstitial works?

> 6. Figure out just what the hell "interstitial" means.

I don't think this one needs to be changed for music, we should just figure out what it means.

I have a few additions as they apply to music
7. Identify magazines and websites about music that are open to interstitial music.

8. Identify record labels that are interstitial friendly.

9. Identify music vendors and distributors that are interstitial friendly.

Has anybody from the IA been approaching the music side of things, or has it mostly been relating to writing so far?

Delia Sherman
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 05:24 pm:   

Robert--There's actually a lot of musical activity in the IAF. We got the name originally from a musician, Warren Senders, who put together an Interstitial Music series at Club Passim in Cambridge, MA. When our website goes up (very, very soon now--we're waiting for a firm date, but it will be this month), there will be an entire Interstitial Music section with a theoretical essay by Warren and a list of CDs some of us think are Interstitial (we don't agree on all of them). The website will be updated every 4 months, submissions welcome (once we've established a submission policy--remember, we're a very new organization run by artists. This kind of thing doesn't come naturally to us.)

There are also sections for Visual Arts, Performance Arts, and Academics, so our interests are pretty broad-ranging.

Your suggestions are very useful as we plan our goals for next year. Please, gentle posters, give us more.

Delia

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 08:11 am:   

I guess being primarily a board for writers I see much more of the writing side of things.

I would be interested in seeing the list of CDs.

For the questions I posed, I have a few things in reply to them.

There are a few magazines and websites I can think of that would be open to interstitial music.

Signal to Noise Magazine (http://www.signaltonoisemagazine.org/): It's
dedicated to improvised and experimental music.

Musique Machine (http://www.musiquemachine.com/): One of the more eclectic music websites I've seen.

Incursion (http://www.incursion.org/): Another fairly eclectic website, it has music reviews and some online art too.

Splendid (http://www.splendidezine.com/): They review everything that's sent to them.

I'm always looking for more sites and magazines, but those seem to be the most promising so far.

For record labels, there may be a lot of small ones, but the ones I'm familiar with are

Ipecac: Mike Patton's label, they have everything from ambient, hip hop and metal, all done with a touch of the bizarre.

Neurot Recordings: Set up by Neurosis, they seem to have a lot of diversity in artists and willingness to try something new.

Jester Records: This is for Norwegian artists, but it's the strangest label I know of. They've got Ulver (different style with each album), Virus and Arcturus (some of the strangest metal), When (sonic collage and pop), Bogus Blimp (Elbow crossed with Tom Waits?). I imagine they'd be willing to try anything, as long as the artist is from Noway.

I think for online vendors, Aquarius Records (http://www.aquariusrecords.org) might be good. They certainly carry odd music and some music/writing hybrids. I look forward to visiting their real shop in San Francisco.

Any others that people can think of?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration