Beyond The Groove Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Interstitial Arts Foundation » Academia: scholarship on interstitiality, interstitiality in scholarship » Beyond The Groove « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 11:29 am:   

Des--Don't know if you know this (and indeed, why should you?) but officially, the Interstitial Arts Foundation (of which this board is a lively part) is not a movement or an "ism" or proscriptive in its definitions. We're supposed to be an umbrella organization that provides a place for Noumenists, Slipstreamers, and Platono-Derridadaoids to trade ideas and maybe come up with some they hadn't thought of before.

I was thinking, Delia, regarding the above extract from your 'Academe' thread postings -- What are you going to do for folk who shelter with you under the umbrella?
Is there a programme of support or publication or what? Or is it, as you imply above, just another set of threads for discussion? With Nemonymity (eg. considering (up to and beyond the point of acceptance or rejection) *anonymous* fiction *submissions* for a print publication as part of a *widening* credo-in-practice etc. is my *concrete* offering to Interstitiality).

And, Veronica, my question in the 'Academe' thread about THE YELLOW WALLPAPER (on further thought) seems to be a potential critique of Interstitiality as I understand it.
Are narrow credos (by straddling other credos) to usurp fiction itself?
des

Veronica Schanoes
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 12:42 pm:   

Hey Des,

Could you explain to me a bit more about what you're referring to re: *The Yellow Wallpaper*? My specialty is contemporary lit, and the theories I'm most interested in are theories of mother-daughter relationships in particular and those regarding feminine subjectivity in general, so I may not be familiar with the work you're writing about. I've read *The Yellow Wallpaper*, but I don't think I've read much secondary lit about it.

des
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 01:10 pm:   

This is the book I read a few years ago:
http://www.feministpress.org/book/index.cfm/GCOI/55861100344550

And there is much other material available casting The Yellow Wallpaper into a feminist art-thrust. It has ceased to be a story and become a mandala. (Not that I have anything against feminism per se.)

This, I believe, is an example of the general effect of clutter-becomes-the-art instead of the art-in-itself I was warning about in earlier posts.
Interstiality seems to me to be encouraging more clutter than less, by encouraging hybrids.
Des

Veronica Schanoes
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 12:22 pm:   

Des,

That book looks quite fascinating to me, though I haven't read it, so I can't speak to its quality. One of the things that it seems to be doing is to examine *The Yellow Wallpaper* in a variety of different contexts. That doesn't read to me like clutter--it reads to me like an examination of the different meanings/resonances the story can have. I don't see a conflict; the story can be a feminist touchstone, a screed against a popular medical practice, a ghost story, a description of descent into madness, all at once, and all of these interpretations can be grounded in the text.

I just don't see this kind of work as "clutter," nor do I dislike clutter. I think that life is complex and art even more so, and I enjoy reading elucidations of that complexity. If interstitiality breeds complexity, then I'm all for it.

I don't see how *TYW* has "ceased to be a story"--it is a story that has multiple possible readings, as does all interesting art.

des
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 12:50 pm:   

Well, Veronica, at least I've 'recommended' a book, which I'm sure you will enjoy (as I did). :-)

But none of it is in the story, only what each of us see as "grounded in the text". And many others will get more or less from the same story, and many different things.

I go back to my three discrete equations:

(1) Fiction = Text

(2) What can be taken from (or given to) the text = reader's 'opinion' or 'reaction' (manifold opinions and reactions, all different).

(3) The nearer one is able to reach towards the noumenon of the text, the more one can shuffle off the variably misleading and unknowable historical, biographical, critical, academic extrapolations from the text = my opinion.

Is Interstitiality, then, about collating all the manifold conjectures and brainstorming contained in (2)? If so, no problem. We know where we stand. And if so, why?

Which brings me back to the other question above, which remains unanswered (one which is tied inextricably with that question of : why?):
++++++++++++++
Delia: - "Des--Don't know if you know this (and indeed, why should you?) but officially, the Interstitial Arts Foundation (of which this board is a lively part) is not a movement or an "ism" or proscriptive in its definitions. We're supposed to be an umbrella organization that provides a place for Noumenists, Slipstreamers, and Platono-Derridadaoids to trade ideas and maybe come up with some they hadn't thought of before. "

I was thinking, Delia, regarding the above extract from your 'Academe' thread postings -- What are you going to do for folk who shelter with you under the umbrella?
Is there a programme of support or publication or what? Or is it, as you imply above, just another set of threads for discussion?

des
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 01:46 pm:   

I suppose another reason I'm asking - the actual word 'interstice' has, for me, an aura of narrowness (like a groove)... an aura of unclutteredness or unhybridity. Do you intend to go beyond the groove, i.e. interstice to intertext?

des

Delia Sherman
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 06:14 pm:   

des--We're working on programs of support and publication. At the moment, we only have the budget for discussion. But I think it's valuable to have the discussion so that we can figure out what people need and want.

As for narrowness. I personally, have no theoretical ax to grind. I'm not a theoretician (which is one reason graduate school very nearly drove me mad--I went to Brown, where Theory was King and Semiotics was Evil Vizir). I'm a writer of fiction that no one quite knows what to do with, even though it seems quite obvious to me that it's fairly plain vanilla Historical with the odd excursion into the uncanny. I like hybrids. I also like large, sprawling, generous fiction. I adore Trollope, for instance, and John Galsworthy and Lawrence Sterne and Patrick O'Brian and Angela Carter and Cervantes. And I rather like the idea of an interstice that is (potentially) larger than the genres it divides. What I like best of all is the idea of a conversation that doesn't begin with the idea that a certain kind of art is not worthy serious critical attention simply because of the kind of art it is perceived to be: SF, Mystery, Gay, craft, experimental, misprized genre of your choice here. I'm likely to talk about SF/Fantasy because that's the genre I'm coming from and the one I know most about. But that's not the only one I'm interested in, and that is certainly not the only one the IAF is going to support.

Just wait until our website goes up. I hope it will answer some of your questions and calm some of your concerns. We just handed in everything, and I'm waiting to hear what the go-live date is--we're hoping mid-December.

Does that help?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration