To market, to market: where to buy, s... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Interstitial Arts Foundation » To market, to market: where to buy, sell, publish, exhibit, and perform interstitial art « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Theodora Goss
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 08:59 pm:   

Hi Veronica!

At the World Fantasy Convention, I was asked about short story markets for interstitial fiction. I thought this would be a good place to list a few. For anyone out there wanting to sell a short story that seems too experimental, too close to the borders of genre to sell to the genre magazines, I recommend the following:

Polyphony (slipstream anthology)
Alchemy (magazine for literary fantasy)
Strange Horizons (online magazine, eclectic, with experimental fantasy and SF)
Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet (always on the borders of genre)

Also, though it may not immediately be obvious, both Realms of Fantasy and F&SF publish experimental, interstitial fiction (see Ben Rosenbaum's "Red Leather Tassels" in the latter).

Finally, there is a new zine out called Flytrap, edited by Tim Pratt and Heather Shaw. It looks as experimental as LCRW. I haven't yet read the whole issue, but particularly like Greg van Eekhout's "Fishing, I Go Among Them," Alan DeNiro's poem "Wolf, with Saint," and Nick Mamatas' essay "Life Among the Obliterati." Definitely a publication to watch for.

Has anyone seen the first issue of Argosy?

John Picacio
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 10:26 pm:   

Hey, Theodora --

I don't think we ever met this past weekend, but I just wanted to drop a quick line.

The first issue of ARGOSY is out and it's definitely a thing to behold. I know that James Owen (publisher of Coppervale) and Lou Anders (senior editor) received a limited supply of the books at WFC (about 300 copies) on Saturday morning and they were quickly sold out within hours. All of the dealers bought them up. Of course, those were only the first copies and there are plenty more, but they're now available from the ARGOSY website (see their discussion board) or from one of the dealers at the con, or very soon, your local bookstore.

Hope that helps.....

As a quick FYI, the second issue will have a Cory Doctorow/Charles Stross novella and I'll be doing the cover and interior illustration honors for that one.

Should be a blast.

I know the guys are eager to hear what people think about the magazine so you should voice your thoughts when you get a copy.

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 01:39 am:   

Another venue for interstitial writing: The Metastatic Whatnot

</shameless_pimpage>

One more publication that's open to it is Nemonymous.

barth
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 06:42 am:   

It might be cool to start an IA market list on this board for both in-genre and out-genre publications. maryanne mohanraj has such a list at her site, but it's not exhaustive.

you know. maybe i'll do it right now...

barth
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 06:45 am:   

or rather...maybe people could, like nick did, include links or addresses to their suggested markets here?

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 06:49 am:   

Actually, I have a few such lists over on my board, though my lists are mainly non-genre mags (ie, literary reviews) in which one can find interstitial work, either occasionaly or frequently.

Forrest Aguirre

Karen Meisner
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:43 am:   

At Strange Horizons we're interested in all kinds of great speculative fiction, but we tend to take particular delight in pieces that cross or defy genre expectations. So if you're looking for interstitial markets: do send us your work! Strange Horizons.

des
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 11:30 am:   

And, thanks, Nicholas, for mentioning Nemonymous above in this context. We chase the noumenon.
Des

Theodora Goss
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 11:54 am:   

John, many thanks for the information on Argosy. I did get a free copy of Coppervale in my WFC bag. I haven't read the articles, but the artwork is gorgeously reproduced. I loved the James Christensen section, where his art is more interesting and sophisticated than I think we usually get to see, especially "Unravelling" and "Death with a Mirror," and the section on Eyvind Earle, whom I'd never heard of. I especially like his "How to Paint a Tree." The only thing that seemed strange to me was the advertising, though I know it's necessary. It gave me a jar to see an ad for Victoria's Secret right after your art. (Really liked "Dangerous Visions," by the way!) Maybe adversisers will eventually learn to make their ads as stylish as the art pages, as Altoids seems to have done.

Barth, maybe if we can get together a good list of markets on this thread, the IAF can eventually put a more formal version on the website? (New and greatly expanded website ETA December. It should be a monstrous but hopefully interesting 94 pages.) Sorry I didn't include links for the markets I listed. (It was early, and I'm still recovering from WFC. Plus Alchemy doesn't yet have a website, though I've been badgering Steve about it.)

Forrest's board has a great list of mainstream magazines that also do genre fiction. Definitely something to check out if you're looking for markets. And many congratulations, Forrest, to you and Jeff VanderMeer for Leviathan 3! Anyone who hasn't read Zoran Zivkovic's "The Library" in Leviathan 3 should. It's a wonderful.

Karen, many thanks for writing in about Strange Horizons! And it was great to meet you last weekend.

And finally, I should have included Fantastic Metropolis (http://www.fantasticmetropolis.com/). Doesn't pay, but reprints.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 11:58 am:   

Oops. And glad that Nicholas reminded me of The Matastatic Whatnot, another interesting new (online) zine that I haven't had a chance to read through. We seem to be in a zine renaissance.

John Picacio
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:38 pm:   

Hey there, Theodora --

Glad you liked International Studio Magazine. I think the Coppervale folks are really doing brilliant things.

I thought it was kinda funny what you said about the Victoria's Secret ad. I can see what you mean. But in Coppervale's defense, I thought it was a nice piece of tongue-in-cheek design....the adjacent illustration almost has a "Cupid-like" quality when you juxtapose it against that particular ad....I was pleased with the layout and I think that magazine's production will only get more and more refined with time. They're off to a spectacular start.

Besides, I think it's kinda cool that my supermodel girlfriend gets placed side-by-side with my illustration work. That doesn't happen everyday, does it? :-)

(Alright....alright...maybe that last part was my own personal "world fantasy" of sorts....) :-)

James A. Owen
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 01:02 pm:   

Hi Theodora -

Thank you for the kind words about International Studio. We'll have the rest of the print run of Argosy in-house within the week, so anybody wanting copies ought to let me know around then.

Re: the advertising. That is absolutely the single hardest aspect of the whole magazine business. It took me up to FIVE YEARS of coaxing and persuading advertisers just to get them to help support International Studio, although those connections definitely made getting support for Argosy easier. And even now, on both mags, advertisers come and go depending on a variety of factors.

In a lot of cases, we were given 'stock' ads that were used in other publications, and resized for us. In a couple of cases, we were given tearsheets (not even digital files!) because the advertiser didn't believe we'd actually produce a magazine with the quality we'd promised.

Now that they're out, several advertisers are redesigning ads (or, in Absolut's case, sending more material-appropriate ads) to take better advantage of the quality presentation.

There's a HUGE single-advertiser section coming up in the next International Studio; and Buick is considering custom print ads featuring their Harley Earl character (which fits Argosy's neo-retro design aesthetic). Should be fun.

James

Nick Mamatas
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 02:14 pm:   

Tiny clarification. "Life Among The Obliterati" is the name of a regular column, not the name of the first issue's essay.

I've had some good luck placing stories in the men's magazine Razor. The three I placed so far include a look at a grim future where art criticism is the world's deadliest occupation; a triple-universe story told in the second person about Joey Ramone; and this past summer a story about an ordinary person trying to get on with his life three days after the aliens show up in NYC.

Dark fantasy/horror writers Paul Tremblay and Steve Eller also recently sold a broadened-genre (there are a number of geographical problems with the term interstitial) story to Razor as well, so it ain't just me.

The Chicago Reader's annual all-fiction issue (the last issue of each year) is also open to this type of material.

ellen
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 03:37 pm:   

I've always published cross-genre material in OMNI, and on Event Horizon and SCIFICTION.

Veronica Schanoes
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 09:57 pm:   

Question about *Razor*. When we say "men's magazine," what are we talking about? Should I be thinking *GQ*, or *Maxim*, or *Playboy*? Just curious, because I'd totally pick up a copy of *GQ*, but *Playboy*, not so much. (Not a judgment on anybody else, just what I'm comfortable with).

Nick Mamatas
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:37 pm:   

Sort of a low-brow GQ, or a high-brow Maxim.

Pretty much right in between the two.

JeremyT
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 08:10 am:   

The Fortean Bureau is also hip to the interstitial material.

We've published some work by Amber van Dyk that fits the bill, I think. And we have an upcoming Jay Lake in that vein. I often tell people that if it's too weird for everyone else (and sometimes that means too experimental), I want to see it. I've bought quite a few stories that were described that way.

I really love slipstream, as well. (If that is truly something separate).

Jed Hartman
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 12:02 pm:   

And then, of course, there's Asimov's, which has published genre-crossing material -- highest-profile recently, probably, being Andy Duncan's award-winning "The Chief Designer," which is somewhere in the area where science fiction, fantasy, and historical fiction intersect.

My impression is that most publications in the genre are open to material that doesn't quite fit firmly into genre definitions these days, though of course some publications are more open to such material than others.

Gwenda Bond
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 07:47 pm:   

Not to clutter up the works with another low-paying zine, but Say... is definitely open to Interstitial/experimental fiction/poetry/comics/crossword puzzles etc. et. al. We are also open to nonfiction -- essays/interviews/reviews -- so long as they touch on the issue's theme and the writer queries me or Christopher in advance. (The next issue will be "Say...why aren't we crying?", which is inspired as much by the current political climate as you'd expect and now open to submissions.)

In fact, we would love to see more of this type of work. We hope to get a site up this winter, and our next issue will probably be perfect bound/color cover, like the new Lady Churchill's. For now, here is our site off LCRW: http://www.lcrw.net/nonlcrwpages/fow/index.htm

And Argosy is fantastic. Now tied for my current favorite magazine (and best-designed magazine) with The Believer. Wonderful stuff, and the editorial pieces laid out an impressive mission statement. Vive la Argosy! (I look forward to seeing your art in the next issue, John.)

Gwenda

Tim Pratt
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 08:24 am:   

Thanks for the mention of Flytrap, Dora. Hope you continue to like what you read. We definitely take a broad approach to fiction, publishing contemporary fantasy, fractured SF, vignettes, and even straight memoir. The website is here, if anyone's interested:

www.sff.net/people/timpratt/flytrap.html

T.C.
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 12:29 pm:   

NFG magazine (www.nfg.ca)

Beautiful-looking magazine, quality cross-genre stuff, gorgeous artwork, and weird cartoons.

Eric Marin
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 11:31 am:   

You might also consider submitting interstitial fiction to _Lost Pages_, the online 'zine run by Claude Lalumiere located at: http://lostpages.net/lostpages.html

Eric Marin
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 09:56 am:   

Hi, everyone. I wanted to let you all know that I am starting a non-paying bimonthly speculative/interstitial fiction webzine, Lone Star Stories. Yes, the 'zine name means the stories will have a strong Texas connection in some creative way.

I am now accepting submissions, and if you care to read the guidelines go look here: http://literary.erictmarin.com/guidelines.html.

I plan on paying for stories sometime in the future, just not right now.

Eric Marin
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 08:14 pm:   

The future is now: Lone Star Stories now pays $2 (U.S.) per story.

http://www.literary.erictmarin.com

WS
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 10:12 am:   

I am taking submissons for the second issue of Trunk Stories (www.TrunkStories.com, also available at www.Projectpulp.com). I like literary fantasy, slipstream and "quiet" horror.

Only paying in contributor copies but I have big plans design-wise for the second issue.

William Smith

John Klima
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 08:58 am:   

Electric Velocipede is always looking for something different. I've published Paul DiFillippo, Liz Williams, Alex Irvine, Jeff VanderMeer, Rick Bowes, Beth Adele Long, Stepan Chapman, Norman Partridge, Neal Barrett, Jr. and others. Future issues will feature Alan DeNiro, William Shunn, Jay Lake, Steven Nagy and more. I currently pay in copies, but may be making a change for 2004 (no promises!).

Check out the Electric Velocipede part of the board for more info!

John Klima

des
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 01:20 pm:   

Still looking for Interstitial fiction submissions - at the interface of Name and Unname. Paying £45 (approx 70 dollars?) for stories 100-5000 words;
http://www.nemonymous.com
Des

Eric Marin
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 06:02 pm:   

Lone Star Stories is now seeking speculative and interstitial poetry as well as fiction. The rate for fiction has increased to $5.00 (U.S.) per story and the rate for poetry is $2.00 (U.S.) per poem.

Neil A
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 05:33 am:   

Hi all,

www.fragmentmagazine.co.uk is looking for genre-defying short/flash fiction for issue 3. Issue one of the the zine can be downloaded from the site for free - there's an interview in issue 1 with Des Lewis (Nemonymous), and forthcoming in issue 2, an interview with slipstream publisher Elastic Press' founder Andrew Hook.

Query submission intentions by emailing: editor@fragmentmagazine.co.uk

Neil A
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 05:20 am:   

Following on from the previous post, issue 2 ius now online and as of issue 3, Fragment will be a semi-paying market. Any British-based writers who have their work chosen for inclusion in the magazine will be offered a list of diverse titles from which they may select a single book. This list will be supplied to authors upon acceptance. This applies for both contributors of fiction and non-fiction. We regret though that due to postal costs this payment is only available to contributors with a British address. Interstitial fiction preferred.

Please query all submissions before sending by emailing editor@fragmentmagazine.co.uk

Claude Lalumière
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 10:35 am:   

Thanks to Eric for mentioning Lost Pages here. He's right: the genre of submissions is pretty much irrelevant to me. All I want is good writing, regardless of genre.
Contributors would be in good company: the zine so far has seen new material by Paul Di Filippo, Richard Calder, Ernest Hogan, Mike Jasper, Bruce Holland Rogers, Mellissa Yuan-Innes, Sarah Singleton, Ray Vukcevich, and others.
the zine: http://lostpages.net/lostpages.html
the guidelines: http://lostpages.net/lostpagesguidelinestemp.html

In 2003 the zine was monthly, but, after a short break, I'm changing the format, here's the announcement:

Beginning 21 March 2004, LOST PAGES will be updated at a random frequency and will change its format. Instead of full issues every month, material will be added as it is ready, linked to from that year's contents page; each year will form a complete "volume".

Midori Snyder
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 05:00 am:   

Neil, Claude and Des,

I just posted an announcement for the new IAF discussion board on our web site. We have a public bulletin board where we invite you to post announcements for just about anything in the arts--including a market report. I wanted to invite you to drop by and post these announcements there if you'd like!

http://pub103.ezboard.com/binterstitialarts

Thanks!

des
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 05:58 am:   

I see you have to join as a member to post on those boards. I never find that easy to accomplish! ;-)

meanwhile, there is a 'Nemonymity and Interstitiality' discussion board here:
http://tinyurl.com/yuqnz

des

Dflewis
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 02:38 am:   

The IAF still maintains a forum here:
http://p081.ezboard.com/finterstitialartsfrm2

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration