Events: here's where to organize and ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Interstitial Arts Foundation » Events: here's where to organize and discuss interstitial events « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Interstitial
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:03 am:   

Not only is this the thread on which to discuss such things as conventions, but here's the place to let us all know if you have a reading/performance/exhibit/publication coming up!

For instance, I'm one of the featured readers at the Women's Writing and Spoken Word series on November 17th here in Philadelphia, at Robin's Bookstore on 13th Street. I'll be reading lots of my interstitial stuff.

But, hey, what about that World Fantasy Convention coming up in DC this weekend? Talk about it here!

Theodora Goss
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 02:54 pm:   

Just got a message about Wiscon, so I thought I'd post the basic information here. If anyone wants to see the Call for Papers, I'll put it on the academic thread.

WisCon 28 the conference of feminist science fiction will be held on the
Memorial Day weekend: May 28-31, 2004, at the Concourse Hotel in
downtown Madison, Wisconsin.

For detailed information about the convention:
http://www.sf3.org/wiscon/

For anyone who hasn't been, Wiscon is one of the best conventions around. And I'm guessing there will be another IA party? Or at least some programming.

Veronica Schanoes
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 04:01 pm:   

> World Fantasy Convention IAF Report
>
> The World Fantasy Convention is held every year at the end of October in a different host
city. The WFC brings together writers, editors, illustrators, agents, and readers with interests
ranging from horror to mythic fantasy and lots in between. The World Fantasy Awards (selected
each year by jury) are presented there. In 2003, the WFC was in Washington, DC from Oct. 30 ^
Nov. 2. Because of the high concentration of writing professionals and artists there, we decided
to try to really push the IA profile at this convention.
>
>
> Thursday night:
> The Party
>
> Ellen Klages arranged for IA to sponsor the convention's Hospitality Suite (aka Con Suite) on
Thursday night, the opening night of the con. Organization and food wrangling was provided by
Theodora Goss, Holly Black, Davey Snyder, and Steve Pasechnick (all of whom deserve an enormous
round of applause). The Hospitality Suite provided drinks, snacks, and much gooey cake. And 15
minutes before the party officially started, the place was packed, a tribute to Ellen Klages'
wonderfully Interstitial posters, scattered around Registration.
>
> Thanks to the handy "Badge-a-Minit" machine and Ellen Klages' good right arm, we had a bunch
of IAF buttons in six different designs. These she arrayed on a table, with a sign suggesting a
donation of $5/button, and plastic pumpkins in which people were invited to place donations. At
one point Jane Yolen seized a pumpkin and went round the room soliciting donations in her best
"I^m the mom, that's why!" voice, to great effect.
>
> The stereo was playing RESQ (the Really Eclectic String Quartet), which partygoers really
enjoyed. We also featured Baka Beyond, "a soundscape of Celtic fiddle, African drum, Gaelic
vocals and Senegalese Song" ^ when it was presented, Ellen Kushner led the assembled multitudes
in the cry of, "How Interstitial is that!" so they could walk out of there with no insecurity on
how to pronounce our name.
>
> The party also offered us a chance to hand out many copies of our new flyer: the front is a
5-panel comic by Kendrick Goss that brilliantly defines IA, while the back has FAQ, web, and
contact information. It's a large Word document so we're not enclosing it, but if you'd like a
copy write to us and we'll send it.
>
>
> Friday 5:00 pm, in a room generously donated by the Con Suite:
> The IAF Working Group Meeting
>
> We discussed the current core mission of the IAF. We realized that we are most concerned with
outreach right now: over the past 8 weeks, many people have given extraordinary amounts of time
to create a huge website that will launch in December ^ once it^s up and running, we want to
do everything we can to send people there, and from there to get the concept of IA out into the
broader community: book & music stores, libraries, reviewers . . . .
>
> We also talked about the new Discussion Boards
(http://www.nightshadebooks.com/discus/messages/1466/1466.html?1068358544), and encouraged the
Working Group members to participate.
>
> We concluded the meeting by agreeing that the IA mission is OUTREACH AND EDUCATION.
>
>
> Saturday 2:00 pm:
> The Slipstream Panel
> Gregory Frost*, Theodora Goss*, Christopher Barzak*, Kathleen Ann Goonan, Ben Rosenbaum
(moderating). * are IA Working Group members. The topic and panelists were assigned by the WFC
committee, but we did our best to unobtrusively subvert it.
>
> This went very well, assembling a discussion from the panelists' various perspectives,
beginning with the historical (Bruce Sterling's definition of certain fictions as "slipstream")
and moving away from that marker to a contemporary discussion of interstitiality ^ how we
perceive this term, how we can apply it, why we think that identifying such fiction and artistic
endeavor is critical, not merely in terms of recognizing something that is uneasily categorized
by traditional methods but also in order to understand how artistic expression is developing,
growing, and absorbing influences from all over the world. We articulated this by identifying
works and authors that Sterling listed, and then by discussing a few writers ^ Holly Black,
Kelly Link, Borges, Angela Carter, Cortazar, and Thomas Pynchon's "The Crying of Lot 49" for
instance ^ whose works we could agree on as interstitial.
>
> The success of the panel was borne out by the rush of audience members to sign up for the IA
email list at the end. We had a packed house, and we ran out of flyers.
>
>
> General:
> The discussion of interstitiality continued throughout the weekend, at various parties.
Everyone seemed to have a good grasp of the intangible element under discussion, too. It seems
already to be a "I know it when I see it" phenomenon, leading us to the conclusion that readers
have been aware of this "different" fiction for some time but hadn't any peg to hang it on save
for Sterling's "Slipstream." (Though at our "launch" party, a confused couple came up to Ellen
Kushner asking, "Are there any books that are not Interstitial?" "Yeah," she replied; "John
Cheever. Robert Jordan.")
>
> A number of interstitial publications made their debuts during the convention. Tim Pratt's
zine Flytrap, and the new issue of Say . . ., and Argosy. On the visual arts front, interstitial
contributions to the Art Show included Charles Vess's wonderful pen-and-ink illustrations for
Charles de Lint's MEDICINE ROAD, and Lisa Snelling's dark carnival doll/sculptures, not to
mention the little jewelled books with tiny stories in them, written by artist and storyteller
Raelinda Woad. They are jewelry, they are book-art, they are fiction. How Interstitial Is That?
>
> Our next major convention appearances will be at the International Conference for the
Fantastic in the Arts (ICFA) (http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/iafa/iafa.home.html), an academic
conference in Ft. Lauderdale in March, and Mythic Journeys (http://www.mythicjourneys.org) in
Atlanta in June, where there will be an entire Interstitial track of programming! Hope to see
you there.
>
> This report was written and edited by Gregory Frost, Theodora Goss, Ellen Klages, Davey
Snyder, Delia Sherman, and Ellen Kushner.

barth
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 08:34 am:   

while it isn't IAF sponsored, i think this event qualifies as interstitial:

here in minneapolis, the band They Might Be Giants will be at wild rumpus bookstore to promote their new children's book and disc BED, BED, BED in december. details below:

http://www.wildrumpusbooks.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp

Theodora Goss
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 09:59 am:   

This isn't exactly an event, but Strange Horizons is having its fund drive this month. Here is an exerpt of a message from Mary Anne Mohanraj. Strange Horizons publishes a lot of fiction that I would consider interstitial, so I thought I would post her notice here!

From Mary Anne:

We're running the November fund drive right now at Strange Horizons, with an added twist -- we're offering memberships! With spiffy collectible membership cards (art by Frank Wu),
lots of other great prizes, and the satisfaction of giving to a good, non-profit, tax-deductible cause. :-) Check here for all the details...

http://www.strangehorizons.com/fund_drives/fund_drive_200311.shtml

Veronica Schanoes
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 03:42 pm:   

I just got this over a writers'/readers' listserv I'm on--hello, Greg!

Gregory Frost writes in a style that combines the genres of science fiction, fantasy, and
mystery, dubbed "intersitial arts." He discusses A MELDING OF GENRES on Sun., Dec. 14 at
1:30 pm. Frost has been writing and publishing in this genre for two decades. His latest
novel, "Fitcher's Brides" (Tor Books), is a recasting of the fairy tale of Bluebeard as a
terrifying story of faith and power in 19th century New York State.

In 2003 between this novel and his novelette "Madonna of the Maquiladora" (Asimov's
Magazine, May 2002), Frost has been a finalist for six major awards in the fantasy and
science fiction field, including the SFWA Nebula Award, the Hugo Award, the International
Horror Guild Award, and the World Fantasy Award. His shorter work has appeared in numerous
publications, including The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Asimov's Magazine, and
Realms of Fantasy. This event is open to all, free for members, with a $10 donation requested of nonmembers. Click here for more details.

The Writers Room has teamed up with the Community Conservatory of Music and hosts a
SONGWRITERS CIRCLE on Sat., Dec. 12 at 2 pm. Please note that this event takes place at
Freeman Hall, home of the Community Conservatory of Music, 181 East Court Street,
Doylestown. This group brings together lyricists, songwriters and musicians to share ideas,
provide support, networking and critical review, as well as provide opportunities for
collaboration. This group is open to all levels of experience, and is free for Writers Room
members, with a $5 donation suggested of nonmembers. Visit our website for more
information.

Forrest
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 10:48 am:   

I've known about this for a while, but didn't think to post it here until now. I will most likely be attending, as will several interstitial writers from "the other side," ie, those whose work is well-regarded in the "mainstream" but would feel right at home on speculative fiction-reader's bookshelves. Frankly, I think this is just the kind of thing IAF should be supporting, advertising, and attending:

April 5-6, 2004 (Proposal Deadline: January 16, 2004)
&NOW is a festival to celebrate writing as a contemporary art form: writing as it is practiced today by authors who consciously treat their work as a practice that is aware of its own literary and extra-literary history, that is as much about its form and materials, language, as it is about its subject matter; a practice that both emerges from and provides a way to express a world that is now 200 years after Ivanhoe, 100 years after Freud, 50 years after Picasso, Elvis, and Faulkner, 10 years after the birth of www....

That is, &NOW hopes to bring together a wide range of writers who are interested in exploring the possibilities of form, the limits of language; who are interested in literature that emphasizes text as a medium, the material nature of language; a literature that articulates an assumption that literary form, like form in music or visual art, both reflects and emerges from its historical moment.

&NOW is also a festival of literature invested in the idea that aesthetic choices are political, or otherwise articulates convictions about how the world works, including the literary world. While institutions tend to limit the definition of what counts as a novel or poem, this is a type of literature that by its nature tends to keep these definitions unresolved.

Sometimes called experimental, conceptual, avant-garde, hybrid, surfiction, fusion, radical, slip-stream, avant-pop, postmodern, self-conscious, innovative, alternative, anti- or new literature, literature conceived as an art form rather than as a craft can be thought of as a literature whose aesthetic often shares an ethos with contemporary thought, a literature that takes its own medium as part of its subject matter or works against the assumptions of the status quo, especially literature conceived in commercial terms: a literature that speaks by employing a variety of linguistic games, slippages, puzzles, parodies, talking animals, historical disjunctions, discursive juxtapositions, visuals, appropriations, spatial play, collage techniques, and other rhetorical strategies and constraints, even those of realism. If traditional, mainstream literature is the equivalent of a 19th century still-life, literature as a contemporary art form would be the equivalent of the art video or the sculpture that uses genetically-engineered cells as its medium. That is, contemporary art-lit can be thought of as a kind of literature that is as invested in its own medium or materials as it is engaged with the world: a literature that is more interested in using form, like its counterparts in music and the visual arts, to work through ideas rather than to create a transparent, illusionistic window on the world.

By bringing together all kinds of writers who are interested in literature as a contemporary art form, &NOW hopes to take stock of this "other" tradition, and perhaps offer a glimpse of where it is going.

Selected work from &NOW will be published in a special issue of The Notre Dame Review devoted to writing as a conceptual art.

For more information:

http://www.nd.edu/~andnow/festival.html

Bambi
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 12:52 pm:   

Talking animals?? TALKING ANIMALS???

Fuck, I'm there!!

Forrest
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 01:48 pm:   

avant-garde slip-stream talking animals, no less!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration