It's interstitial, duh!: can't decide... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Interstitial Arts Foundation » It's interstitial, duh!: can't decide where it goes? It goes here. « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Between Genres or Between Markets?Delia Sherman11-22-03  11:55 am
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 01:23 am:   

Hi, Interstitial Moderators, I've not yet been able to read all the posts on the many Interstitial threads - so you may have already covered this. My (in hindsight) 'interstitial'-type brainstorming (i.e. resulting in Nemonymity - which is not just about anonymity) over the last 3 years has resulted in the fruits of three editions of Nemonymous that you can hold in your hands demonstrating the hypothesis-in-practice. I was wondering if there are yet any Interstitial publications and, if not, do you plan to do so? Des

Veronica Schanoes
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 08:11 am:   

Certainly! The IAF has plans for publications in the works--I'm not working on them, though, so perhaps somebody who is might have more info. Many publications that are open to interstitial work have been discussed in the market thread, but I know you've been active in that conversation, so I'm assuming you're asking about IAF publications--those can also go in the market thread. There may well be people looking at that thread who are more involved in IAF publication than am I. I'm going to move these messages over there later this afternoon.

des
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 08:58 am:   

That's good news. But I was wondering. Do IAF books need to precede the multi-threads here or do you need the IAF Books first to underpin the threads?
Will you be using input here to guide the Books? Otherwise, I would have thought - in complete ignorance of your plans and forward planning before setting up these threads (so please excuse me if I'm suffering from a basic misunderstanding) - that the Literature (i.e. books) should at least accompany the threads, if not precede them.
Des

Veronica Schanoes
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 10:53 am:   

Actually, I was mistaken--the questions seem significantly different from the stuff being discussed in the market thread, and I'm just going to leave it be. Apologies for the indication otherwise in my previous post.

I'm not sure how the publications are going to work. My understanding of the IAF's basic premise is that we're a group that's formed in response to the work that's already out there, and that while we're all in favor of fostering new ways for interstitial work to appear, work doesn't have to be done under our auspices to be interstitial or for the IAF to embrace it!

But I feel like that's probably not answering your questions, because I'm not quiet clear on what they are. Sorry for my obtuseness--could you try explaining them to me one more time?

Theodora Goss
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 11:24 am:   

I believe the anthologies will come out in the next few years. They were always scheduled to come out after the website and discussion board were established. However, and perhaps this is the answer to your question, the expanded website, which is much larger than the current site, was originally going to go up before the discussion board. I think that site is really the theoretical underpinning for the board itself. But, because it will be so large, and will contain so much information, it won't be up until December.

It will do what, to me, is the real purpose of the IAF: showcase the works of people who are creating art that has an interstitial quality, particularly when those works have not yet found a public audience.

Hope this helps!

des
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 03:09 pm:   

Thanks for your help. I just wondered the stages you had planned.
(1)Night Shade Boards to (2) website to (3) books.
Is that right?
If so, will the later stages be affected by the earlier ones?

With nemonymous, I brainstormed on two yahoogroups-type mailing lists, then produced three 'books', now trying (without much success) your first stage above as my last stage! I always get things arse-about-face! ;-)
Des

Theodora Goss
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 09:07 pm:   

You've got it right, although I don't think it was particularly planned that way. I think in the end all three stages will end up interacting, rather than the earlier clearly influencing the latter. For example, the discussion board might provide ideas for website content, and the website might begin discussions. (And I don't really know anything about the anthologies. I think the editor will be making those sorts of decisions.)

I wouldn't call your way backwards, Des! I don't think there's any "right" way to do something as strange as publishing and talking about literature . . . :-)

des
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 07:41 am:   

TTA Press - I would like to mention this publication outlet. But first, thanks for above, Theodora.
Forgive me if this has mentioned before somewhere on these voluminous threads of Interstitiliaty -- but it seems to me that TTA has been successfully operating effective Interstitiliaty fiction for many many years. This is actually embedded in its full title (of which TTA is an abbreviation): The Third Alternative.
Its latest issue is one of the best so far: TTA #36, currently being discussed here:
http://www.ttapress.com/discus/messages/4/274.html?1069021233
Maybe a better name for it, too, as intestitiality is not easy to say (or spell)! ;-)
des

Tim Akers
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 11:51 am:   

*Maybe a better name for it, too, as intestitiality is not easy to say (or spell)! ;-)*

Actually, I suggest we take a look at renaming the whole movement. As Des said, Interstitiality is just too much word. I definitely think we need to work the word 'punk' in, also, to give it a familiar handle. Hm...How about crackpunk? Anyone with me? Remember, the plot device wants to be free.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 01:38 pm:   

Borderpunk!

Borderlesspunk? (Or is that the new sound of the EU music scene?)

des
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 01:58 pm:   

Groovepunk

Tim Akers
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 02:07 pm:   

Almost makes us sound like we hang around in Borders books and music, in that little cafe they have, and sneer at all the yuppies sucking lattes and trying to write poetry. Though the second one seems to specifically preclude that.

Delia Sherman
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 11:46 am:   

We seem to have run somewhat aground here.

Let's see if I can refloat the conversation, and get to talking about particular works of fiction, which is, after all, one of the things people like us like to do when we get together.

It's hard, when talking about fiction in terms of categories, not to speak in absolutes: Anne Tyler's THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST is mainstream; A.S. Byatt's BABEL TOWER is social realism; Angela Carter's NIGHTS AT THE CIRCUS is Interstitial. What about if we tried to fit the more arguable works along a continuum instead of squarely in a genre? THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST is (in my opinion, anyway) pretty much a paradigmatic text for mainstream domestic realism, but I don't want to talk about it anyway.

BABEL TOWER, on the other hand, like a lot of Byatt's other work, seems to me to be tending away from strict realism, both in its form (a Sadean fantasia embedded in a novel of social commentary) and in its tone, which is more exaggerated, Dickensian, occasionally surreal than, say, the novels of Penelope Lively. As anyone who has read A DJINN IN THE NIGHTINGALE'S EYE or ANGELS AND INSECTS or Byatt's latest New Yorker story knows, Byatt isn't afraid of any inch of ground between Realism and Fantasy. Where does BABEL TOWER (and the other books in that series) fall on the spectrum? Is an unusual tone, prose, or structure sufficient to knock a book out of its most obvious genre and on the road to NoGenre'sLand?

des
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 02:12 pm:   

Is this the first use of the word 'interstitial' in the sense used on these threads:

"He deserves a gong for his services to sci-fi alone, as editor and enthusiast, but here in the UK we distrust such interstitial anarchy: such unashamed bricolage and undisguised brio."

It is a review of Moorcock in 2001 here:
http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/sciencefiction/0,6121,517793,00.html

des
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 10:12 am:   

Following on from that question, is there any one person who actually created Interstitiality as a concept underpinning IAF?
des

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration