Hi! I'm feeling interstitial today: ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Interstitial Arts Foundation » Hi! I'm feeling interstitial today: introduce yourself « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Interstitial
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 10:37 am:   

Hello. My name is Veronica Schanoes, slayer of thousands, adored by the survivors. I'll be your moderator tonight and every night in the foreseeable future.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 07:43 am:   

Introduce ourselves, hunh? I can do no better than link to my web site: http://www.theodoragoss.com

And, since it hasn't been updated for ages, I have stories coming out in Alchemy and on Strange Horizons. Soon. (This is the self-promotion page, right? If not, we should certainly have one!) :-)

df lewis
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 09:01 am:   

I am Des
http://www.weirdmonger.com
http://www.nemonymous.com
I claim the one true way to be interstitial is to be anonymous (at least for a while).
By turns, the blending and curding out of selves a la Proust.
Chasing the noumenon.
Des

Jeff V.
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 09:27 am:   

Hi, I'm Jeff VanderFrog. I write about squid and fungus, the consequences of love, and other stuff.

I have a fun web site...
http://www.vanderworld.redsine.com

...a not-as-fun web site...
http://www.vandermeer.redsine.com

...a site for my publishing company...
http://www.ministryofwhimsy.com

...and one for my latest book...
http://www.venissunderground.com

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 11:36 am:   

I'm Robert Devereux. I was the Earl of Essex until I lead a revolt against Queen Elizabeth, then I was beheaded.

While my plans of conquest went wrong, my plans for music seem to be going better.

I've got a website at http://robertdevereux.com

Neddal
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 12:14 pm:   

I'm Neddal. I'm so interstitial that I can't be pinned to any one thing. I make a lot of noise with my guitar, I write a bit, and I yell a lot. Most of my writing involves talking to people in obscure bands and tearing apart their music. I dislike Martin Amis immensley.

You can check out my band here:
the does
You can check out our label here:
hand-eye
You can read some reviews and interviews I've done here (I'm one of the staff writers):
dead angel

Lena DeTar
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 12:48 pm:   

I'm Lena.

I have stories up at www.asimovs.com and www.forteanbureau.com ; the second is more interstitial than the first.

Neddal
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 03:42 am:   

I should also mention that we at Dead Angel review books & 'zines. We like 'zines a lot. If anyone has 'zines (or books) that they'd like reviewed, drop me a line.

davey
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 06:22 am:   

Davey (Deborah) Snyder, herder-of-chaos, administrative organizer for the IA Foundation; reader, listener, viewer, stagehand, and occasional participant in folly.

(If anyone wants to be added to our low-volume email announcements list, btw, just send me a note at ArtistsWithoutBorders@comcast.net.)

Delia Sherman
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 06:05 pm:   

I'm Delia Sherman, in whose living room the Interstitial Arts Foundation was born last December--on 12th Night, if I remember correctly. What a mess. Magi, camels, sheep all over the place. And all those angels, singing just a little sharp. It wasn't fun, I can tell you.

OK, I'll stop now. I'm actually president of this thing, as well as being a writer of historical/fantastical/folklorical fiction. What I'm not is a spider, but there's a little more info at: http://www.sff.net/people/kushnerSherman/Sherman/index.html

Christopher Barzak
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 09:31 pm:   

Hi. Chris Barzak here. You can find more (Not much) about me here:

http://www.taverners-koans.com/ratbastards/zakbar.html

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 02:04 am:   

Hi, I'm Nicholas Liu and I'm a boring teenager and poet. The ezine I co-edit is much more interesting and possibly also interstitial. I live in Singapore.

Tim Akers
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 08:44 am:   

Is Delia saying that the IAF was created on Dec 12? Cuz that's my birthday, so that's kinda cool.

Um, oh yeah. Hi. My name is Tim Akers. I write what I like to think of as urban fantasy. Or industrial fantasy. That is, tolkien wrote pastoral, rural, agrarian fantasy, and I don't. So there. But I don't have a website to show you how cool I am. My first published story will be coming out in ChiZine in January, but I worked freelance in the gaming industry for many years.

Deborah Layne
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 09:55 am:   

Hello, my name is Deborah and I'm a publisher. It's been 10 days since my last kinda-sorta interstitial book, Polyphony 3.

Just for today, I won't try to force things into one genre.

Night Shade Books
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 11:14 am:   

Hi, I'm Jason. I'm a capitalist running dog publisher, and in no way interstitial. But I make money off of interstitial folks (or at least try really hard to), so maybe that counts?

Richard Parks
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 11:41 am:   

Hi, I'm Richard. I'm a writer though my stuff isn't terribly interstitial. It often falls through the cracks, but that's not quite the same thing.

Puke Minz
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 11:56 am:   

After reading Heinz Insu Fenkl's wonderful essay in which he attempts to capture the essence of the IA movement:
http://www.endicott-studio.com/IA/IA-theory.html
I can certainly empathize with him.

But as an editor at a major publishing house, and if I'm willing to cede Jason of World-Fantasy-Award-Winning Nightshade the title of "capitalist running dog," I'm not sure what's left for me.

Perhaps Pure Unadulterated and Kindless Evil (PUKE for short). For I hope to one day use the term "Interstitial" as a label for a novel with our sales force, and have them actually understand what I mean. Unfortunately, after reading Fenkl's essay, and applying a liberal dose of Star Trek logic, I believe my successfully using Interstitial as a marketing label would actually cause Interstitiality to implode, perhaps taking our entire star system with it. Such is the evil and conflicted nature of my existence.

Forrest Aguirre
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 01:26 pm:   

Hi there. I'm Forrest Aguirre. I edit Leviathan and write. I seethe with interstitiality, practically swim in the stuff, like a ghost in a sea of ectoplasm. I don't have my own website, but at least someone has seen fit to create a mini-bit about me on their site:

http://www.sfsite.com/10a/far161.htm

That is, until the link dies and I wink out of existence in some crack or corner. At least it's an interstitial demise.

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 04:37 am:   

Michael Bishop: http://www.michaelbishop-writer.com

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 04:43 am:   

Meant to add that at LaGrange College, along with Jack Slay and other members of the English department there, I've helped put on three writing conferences called Slipstreaming in the Arts, which sort of qualify as interstitial events; in any case, Jeff VanderMeer and Ann Kennedy (of Silver Web fame)attended, along with other writers who explore literary borderlands: Karen Joy Fowler, Lew Shiner, John Kessel, Bruce Sterling (not just a cyberpunk anymore), Paul Di Filippo, Andy Duncan, etc., etc. I've undoubtedly left out some important folks who contributed to these conferences, which touched on art and music as well as literature.

And I've had a couple of stories in Polyphony and hope to have work appear there again.

Mark Wagner
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 07:21 am:   

Beginnings brewing, wordsmiths, musicbeings, imagemakers tresspassing the boundaries of reason to court the muse, to save humanity from terriorism by creating awe, beauty, and new myths.

I am Mark Wagner, visual artist, have work on new Interstitial Arts web site.

http://www.heartsandbones.com

Tim Pratt
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 12:17 pm:   

I'm Tim. I enjoy falling into the cracks between things and then crawling back out again. I write, sometimes interstitially (or so I'm told). I also co-edit/co-publish a 'zine called Flytrap. I am particularly interested in the intersections of poetry and prose. Among other things. Website is here:

www.sff.net/people/timpratt

Connie Toebe
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 09:40 am:   

Hi
I'm Connie. I'm a visual artist. You can see my work here:

http://www.connietoebe.com

I was making these weird little boxes that I didn't know how to describe to people. Then one day I heard the term interstitial and suddenly I found myself among people who didn't need explanations. I know/have met a few of you, "Hello!". For those of you I haven't met, I look forward to hearing all about your artwork.

Connie

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 10:28 am:   

Hi, I'm Jim Van Pelt. I had a college professor tell me once that my stories were too genre-steeped to be published in literary magazines but too literary to be published in genre magazines.

I don't know if that makes me interstitial, but I'm pretty sure it makes him a crummy judge of an author's marketability.

My web page is at http://www.sff.net/people/james.van.pelt

Theodora Goss
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 10:32 am:   

Hi Connie!

We met at Wiscon, and my husband gave me one of those weird (and wonderful) little boxes for my birthday, the one called "Lost in the Charm of the Night." It was the best birthday present ever. Now, whenever I feel particularly stressed or tired, I can get lost in its charm myself. Just wanted to let you know how much I love it!

Neal Stanifer
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 12:56 pm:   

Howdy, I'm Neal Stanifer. I am a graduate student at Tulane University, where I investigate nineteenth-century American print culture, literary theory, and my own motivations for being a graduate student and academician.

In my spare time, I write, amass rejection notices, and consume alcohol. I am also into downhill knitting and intercollegiate muskrat-stretching, and consider myself a recreational abuser of dust-free metaphysics.

Laura MK
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 05:49 pm:   

Hello all, I'm Laura MK. I'm a fortune teller by trade and scientist by training - or by birth - I'm not really sure which.

I don't really understand interstitiality, but I do read the posts, and post on other threads, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm not alone on the island, but mountains of magical old books surround me.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 10:45 am:   

Hi everyone, I'm Jason. Right now, I'm studying creative writing at NCSU with John Kessel. My fiction has appeared in several cool places like Intracities and Electric Velocipede. At World Fantasy, I launched Four Seasons in One Day, a chapbook of fiction, artwork, and poetry with my fiancee Janet Chui (she's the reason it looks so good). I'd certainly describe my writing style as slipstream or interstitial.

Terri Windling
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 12:36 am:   

Hi everyone, I'm Terri Windling. I've been an editor in the fantasy field since some of you were in diapers; I'm also a writer, painter, and folklorist. And I'm one of the founding members of the Interstitial Arts Foundation.

Though I'm deeply involved in the IAF, my participation in this discussion board will probably be sporadic in late 2003/early 2004 -- I've got my head down trying to get a novel finished. But I'll pop up when I can....

Bob Urell
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 01:48 am:   

Hi, I'm Bob Urell, and I'm still in diapers.
I'm not sure if I've every fell into any cracks; it's more like I was spawned in one and have spent the bulk of my time dodging the rest of you as you plummeted toward me from above. I don't necessarily think I'm interstitial, but I've gotten drunk with a few crackheads, so maybe an honorary membership would be in order?

LeslieWhat
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 08:10 am:   

Hello. My name is Leslie What. I bought a button that said Artists Without Borders at the Interstitial party, and also ate some cheese. A friend, who is interstitial by night and an ad copywriter by day, pointed out the acronym is AWOB and that made me laugh.

Gregory Frost
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 08:36 am:   

Hello, I'm Gregory Frost. I'm a literary manticore, whose current novel, FITCHER'S BRIDES, is a fantasyhistoricalhorror novel about relgious zealotry, manipulation, betrayal, and candle-making (no, really, I'm not making this up).

An essay of mine on this topic/movement/modality of thought is posted on the IA site. I've been interstitial for years without even knowing it. And I probably still don't know. But it all begins here...

--to Jason Erik Lundberg: You have a great teacher in John Kessel, and you can look forward to a life of extreme poverty as a writer now that you've studied with him.

GF

AliceB
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 11:16 am:   

Hello. My name is Alice. I'm a writer of children's fiction, some of which fits (or doesn't) several genres -- and I'm a lifelong kibbitzer.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 11:27 am:   

Greg,

I plan on going for a Ph.D after getting my M.A. with John, and so have already planned for a life of poverty. But I've also heard the stories from Andy Duncan and Richard Butner. It was good to meet you at WFC and see you wearing those freaky contact lenses

In case anyone's interested, there's some more interstitial discussion going on at my journal, and everyone is welcome to contribute.

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 03:19 am:   

hey.

i'm ben peek. i'm a writer, at least today, and i'll be appearing in the next leviathan anthology, and i've got a story coming out in the anthology FOREVER SHORES, edited by peter mcnamara and margaret winch. (yes, shameless plug. act now and get a free steak knife that will cut through boots.) i've got me a blog at www.livejournal.com/users/benpeek where i plug more of my stuff without shame, and try to be interesting. upon occasion.

at other times in the day, i am a phd student, writing a novel, and i tutor experimental writing at university, and english and plain old creative writing to high school students.

Carole Carmen
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 05:28 am:   

Hi, I'm Carole Carmen, and I've suffered all my life from being too interstitial. It's a terrible affliction - my artwork fell so well between the cracks on my Fine Art course that it almost winked out of existence - and my writing is a strange hybrid beast that seems determined to survive. Although it often finds itself deposited in strange genres it knows nothing of.

(And, quick plug, is currently appearing in issue #2 of 'Horror Express', a new British mag which features work by Shaun Hutson, Graham Masterton, Guy N Smith and Storm Constantine.)

Pat O'Connor
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 09:36 am:   

Hi, I'm Pat O'Connor and I teach Latin American literature at Oberlin College. Since I've known Ellen Kushner since when some of you were in diapers (to use Terri Windling's phrase), Ellen and Delia invited me in June 2003 to one of the first working meetings of the IAF. I'm so interstitial that I got locked out of my dormitory room at 3am in my underwear when I went to the bathroom down the hall that weekend. But a good time was had by all.

Many (but by no means all) of the members of the IAF began as fantasy writers or illustrators, which is noticeable in the connections they have made, and in the first venues they have used for spreading their message, and in the first round of academics they have attracted. As a Latin-Americanist, I can provide a certain amount of perspective, by reminding U.S. readers that in some other literary systems the boundary between "legitimate" fiction and fantasy is almost non-existent. (In Latin America, the explanation for that is pretty much one word: Borges.)

Meanwhile, like the other IAF members, I'm hoping that the term expands to shelter and support writers who are constrained by the expectations of other publishers/genres, not just the gatekeepers of the border between legitimate fiction and fantasy: in Spain after the death of Franco and in Mexico over the last twenty years "crime fiction" has been a space for prestigious writers to think through social and political change, for instance. Tell your friends who are authors of not-quite-mysteries, not-quite-romance, not-quite-literary-criticism, not-quite-Patrick-O'Brians, about the IAF.

Mostly I'll be posting such comments in the academic threads. See you there.

Vandana Singh
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 10:39 am:   

Hi! I'm Vandana, and my claim to fame is that not long ago I had a lovely lunch with Delia and Ellen... Also, I am never quite sure which of seven possible worlds I inhabit at a particular point in time... does all that make me interstitial? :-)

Cheers,

Vandana

Gorden Russell
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 03:19 pm:   

Vandana, we have missed you over at the F&SF threads.

Theodora Goss, just read your newest story at Strange Horizons and went straight from there to your web site.

Since then, I've been telling everybody what a bright new star you are. I even copied and pasted a bit of you bio for the F&SF thread, "why do you write." Your use of language was irresistable.

I can't believe that there is so much talent and wisdom in someone younger than my daughter.

Theodora Goss
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 09:02 pm:   

Gorden,

Thank you so much! I'm so glad you enjoyed the story and biography. One of the nicest parts of being all grown up is never, ever having to participate in team sports. And I still want to be a dragonrider. :-)

Very best wishes,
Dora

EllenKushner
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 07:14 pm:   

Ellen Kushner, here; I share a livingroom with Delia Sherman, and write novels that publishers fear, reviewers are confused by and readers can't find because they don't fit recognizable categories. If my national public radio show "Sound & Spirit" isn't on your local station, you can hear it online at www.wgbh.org/pri/spirit. It's very interstitial in o so many ways which I will elucidate when I write my personal statement for our forthcoming website. Discussion Boards fill me with pity and terror, but I will screw my courage and post anyway when I'm trying to avoid a deadline, 'cause I love you guys, especially Pat O'Connor! (Vandana is a disingenuously terrific writer and only had lunch with us because she felt sorry for us....) I am a proud survivor of Japanese sticker photos & karaoke with Veronica Schanoes - V, a million thanks for the incredible work you're doing monitoring the IAF board! It would kill a lesser man.

Sometimes watching "South Park" is the only thing that cheers me up.
www.ellenkushner.com

Lavonne Leong
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 12:50 am:   

Hi,

Iím Lavonne, of no particular claim to fame Ė but until last month I was an editor for Manoa: A Journal of International Literature (you can probably still find me on the staff page). Heinz Insu Fenkl guest edited our Korean/American issue, which is how, in a roundabout way, Iím popping up here. Before that I was a ramen-eating graduate student in England, and right now Iím putting together an anthology of Asian science fiction...actually, right now Iím about to wrap Christmas presents. Iím feeling organized this year.

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 05:51 am:   

Asian science fiction! Interesting. Care to tell us more about this anthology (that is, if it wouldn't be too off-topic)?

Eric Marin
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 02:17 pm:   

I am a Texan attorney with Yankee roots who has aspirations to write (and even publish) fiction that might fall within the definition of interstitial. My less than exciting online journal, touting my three published pieces, is at www.journalscape.com/Musings for anyone feeling bored enough to wander through it.

Holly Black
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 10:05 pm:   

I'm Holly Black (http://www.blackholly.com) and I poured wine at the interstitial party at WFC.

Lavonne Leong
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 07:06 pm:   

Hi Nicholas,

This is way off-topic, but I'm sure Veronica will corral me into the right place if her computer has recovered from its flu. As to Asian science fiction, I'm no expert--and I'm just beginning to collect pieces, so I can't tell you much. I have just heard too many rumors from various places (especially China) and think it's too good an opportunity to pass up.

If you're curious, a good place to start is Chang Hsi-Kuo's _The City Trilogy_. If it had been written in English to begin with (i.e. not classified in the U.S. as "foreign fiction") it would certainly be interstitial. It could be described as over-the-top space opera meets magical realism. It's weird. And some of it is wonderful. But what really keeps me hooked is that non-English-language writers don't have the same genres as we do, so the stories they produce don't follow (or break) our rules. In other words, to make a *huge* generalization, stories get told differently.

Helen Pilinovsky
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 11:58 am:   

Hello, all. I'm Helen Pilinovsky: I'm an Interstitial Academic, also known as a comparatist. I focus primarily on folklore and the fantastic in Eastern and Western Europe. Additionally, I review (occasionally) for NYRSF and (regularly) for the Journal of the Mythic Arts (http://www.endicott-studio.com/jMA.html). I'm also an amateur procrastinator, hence my long period of lurking as opposed to posting ...

Dan Layman-Kennedy
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 09:58 am:   

Hail and well-met, all. I'm Dan. I'm an amateur writer and musician who found my way here by way of being an admirer of several of the folks involved (Swordspoint was a significantly eye-opening experience for me on several levels, and the Year's Best F&H has probably driven me to spend money on books more consistently than anything else I could name), not to mention the appeal to my lifelong interest in ambiguity.

My academic background's in theatre (in which I still occasionally dabble), which probably colors a lot of the way I look at the arts in general and border-crossing in particular.

My one real claim to a brush with interstitial greatness was the email I got from Thomas Ligotti thanking me for the song I wrote about him, which was up on MP3.com back when there was one. I still get that out and read it when I'm having a bad case of Doubting the Work.

Also, I sporadically write a column called The Last Dark Art on RPG.net, concerning role-playing games as an artistic pursuit. I didn't know the word "interstitial" when I started that, though I'm beginning to wish I had.

My own fiction is pretty firmly in-genre (if "magicians-in-big-coats urban fantasy" is a genre), but I'm very interested in the ways in which different media influence each other, and the idea of a big-picture, shifting-borders view of art and literature.

I'm currently working on the first draft of a novel, and wondering if weathering the various terrors of traditional publishing is the right fate to consider for it.

And, of course, I blog.

Ellen Kushner
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 07:39 am:   

Dan, it's an honor! I checked out your RPG columns, and am fascinated by the concept of "meta-gaming" - I've never gamed because (a) they didn't have that when I was in college and (b) writing is better because I get to play all the characters myself and (c) I suspected that there was too much game and not enough meta . . . Maybe it's different now? Anyhow, it's fascinating to consider improv. gaming as an art form: private theatricals meet unwritten writing?

Is this a new thread?

Dan L-K
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 08:31 pm:   

Gaming is possibly a uniquely interstitial pursuit; it's got elements of storytelling, writing, improv theatre, radio drama, and potentially (depending on the group) visual arts as well, without being any of those things exactly... Not to mention that it combines all of that stuff with rules - and whole schools of thought have sprung up concerning approaches to rule design using various models. I strongly suspect that the biggest reason RPGs haven't made more of a mark outside the gaming community is that they don't produce a "product" that can be examined later. (Nor could they without compromising a lot of the qualities that make them unique; ah, well.)

All of which is seriously off-topic, though I'd be happy to move it on over to, say, the performing-arts thread...

Anyway, thanks for the kind words, Ellen - it means a lot. See you 'round the borders.

Veronica Schanoes
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 08:51 am:   

Or you could start a thread devoted to gaming! I hadn't thought of such a thing when I set up the boards, but it sounds like a great discussion.

Ellen Kushner
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 07:40 am:   

Tinay Chancey of the group Hesperus (www.Hesperus.org) has signed in over in the MUSIC section - but since it's also an introduction of sorts, I'm taking the initiative of posting it here as well:†

††By TinaChancey on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 11:04 am:

My group, Hesperus, seems to qualify for interstitiality. After being categorized as a crossover group going beyond boundaries for so long, it's nice to find ourselves within a group. We do early music, traditional music (both North American folk and World music) and fusions of the two. Scott Reiss and I are trained in Old-Time, Irish and Cajun as well as medieval, renaissance and baroque; we collaborate with musicians like Bonnie Rideout (Scottish fiddle), Mike Seeger, Andes Manta (Ecuadorian folk), Flory Jagoda (Sephardic).Our latest collaboration is with film--our Robin Hood Project accompanies Douglas Fairbanks' 1922 silent film with renaissance music from the time of Henry VIII.
I'd love to hear from interested people. Tina Chancey

Shannon White
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 05:33 pm:   

Hello, and glad to meet all of you! I have just returned from Boskone, where Delia and Ellen ran a wonderful, very energized and energetic panel on the interstitial movement - thanks to you both for a wonderful panel experience. I have just begun to dip my metaphoric toes into the pool of resources on this site, and am eager to take the full plunge as soon as I can!

My name is Shannon White, and I am currently finishing a Ph.D. in Russian Literature at the University of Michigan; my dissertation focuses on the (often quite empowered) image of the adolescent girl in popular fiction of the late Imperial period. (My current home, though, is in Northampton, MA, where my partner, Jim Crocker, and I have opened a comics/graphic novel store -- we've both been thrilled to see lots of great interstitial work happening in comics, too!)

I also do work on contemporary Russian literature, which is wonderfully full of interstitial writers, of whom my current favorites are Viktor Pelevin and Nina Sadur. I've been lucky enough to have the chance to design and teach some courses that focused on interstitial works, even if I wasn't always allowed to use that nomenclature.

My interest in the interstitial is both academic and personal - I am fascinated with this wonderful idea of "genre anxiety," but also have simply loved these works for many years. I am humbled and excited to see so many of my favorite authors here on this board!

I very much look forward to discussing this great topic with all of you, and I send my apologies for this long-winded introduction!

Best,

Shannon

fay swan
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 02:45 am:   

Hi Im fay I love the arts, fantasy art, reading books etc. I have set up a fantasy website http://www.fantasyartreview.com/
to discuss all things fantasy and to post blogs etc. This is my first site like this, however I am to increase this to other sites whilst adding to this one.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration