Letters From Hades Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Thomas, Jeffrey » Letters From Hades « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey Thomas
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 07:57 am:   

Check out the cool LETTERS FROM HADES site, and order it if so inclined, here:
http://www.necropublications.com/titles/lfh.htm

Night Shade Books
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 10:56 am:   

I'm going to have to get one of these. I've heard a whole whack of good things about it!

Jeffrey Thomas
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 01:09 pm:   

I appreciate your interest!!! :-) I don't want to make ALL my posts self promotions, but I'm giddy to relate that the publisher had to increase the hardcover print run number to accomodate the advance sales - whoo-hoo!

JeffV
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 09:10 am:   

Hey, Jeff--can't wait to get Letters. What sparked the idea, by the way?

JeffreyThomas
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 12:48 pm:   

Hi, Jeff V.(belatedly; sorry). Glad you're interested in getting LETTERS FROM HADES. Bedlam Press/Necro Publications publisher Dave Barnett directly inspired the writing of LETTERS FROM HADES. He told me he wanted to do a project with me, so I asked for a general idea...short story collection, novel, Punktown thing, etc. Instead he gave me a very specific idea - could I write a novel based on the world in my short story COFFEE BREAK, which originally appeared in STRANGE DAYS magazine in 92 (I think it was) and was reprinted in my first book, TERROR INCOGNITA. Normally I wouldn't be too psyched about being given such a specific topic to write about, but this idea *really* excited me and got my mind racing immediately. A similar thing happened when Paul Miller of Earthling Publications asked me if I could base a novella on the main character of my short story THE RED SPECTACLES, originally published in TERMINAL FRIGHT magazine and reprinted in my self-published collection AAAIIIEEE!!! That project became GODHEAD DYING DOWNWARDS. So I really have to thank Dave and Paul for providing the initial spark for both these projects!

Jeffrey
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 01:02 pm:   

It's here! It's here! It's here! I received copies of the trade paperback edition of LETTERS FROM HADES today and it's gorgeous!!! The 30+ interior illustrations and cover by the brilliant Erik Wilson are breathtaking! It's here, it's here...

Liz Williams
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 01:11 pm:   

Congrats, Jeff, and I am in the process of ordering a copy.

Liz

JeffV
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 02:22 pm:   

Oh--excellent!!!!! I hope my copy arrives soon!

Jeff

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 02:47 pm:   

I just got my copy today (trade paperback). It is a very nice looking book.

Mastadge
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 09:29 am:   

I'm looking forward to receiving my copy.

Jeffrey
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 10:23 am:   

You guys are awesome...thanks for your interest in it, and your support - it's extremely gratifying! A great review of LETTERS is featured in the latest issue of LOCUS, happy to say.

Mastadge
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 03:19 pm:   

Good to hear it. Do you have any idea when the hardcover edition'll ship?

JeffV
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 04:40 pm:   

Yes, when will the hardcover ship!?!?!?

JeffV

Minh Nguyen
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 10:58 pm:   

Dave Barnett of Necro said that the hardcovers for LFH are due out in about two weeks, and the deluxe edition will be about another month.

If any of you didn't already know the deluxe edition will be limited to 26 slipcased, leatherbound hardcovers, with a seperate book of Erik Wilson's art and will also include an additional short story not found in the regular edition titled 'The Abandoned', set in the world of Hades. It's gonna be a sweet edition...

---end plug---

Hello Jeffrey, I haven't had a chance to contact you in a while and wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed MONSTROCITY and am really looking forward to NETHER. I should be getting the PUNKTOWN 'Ultra' edition next week from Shocklines and can't wait to read the extra stories.
It's funny how only a year ago, I was only able to find the Ministry Of Whimsy version of PUNTOWN. Now...I think that so far this year, I've spent more money on your books than I have on any other single author. I have to say that it is money well spent! Keep up the great work!

Mastadge
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 05:26 am:   

Two weeks!? But I'm excited now. . .I'll just have to read Shatterpoint really slowly, I guess.

KJ Bishop
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 12:30 pm:   

Hi Jeffrey,

I got mine! I've gone through and looked at all the pictures - very cool. I have to say, the demon (seated) on p.18 looks a lot like my old headmistress.
It's a very nicely designed and produced book - I'm looking forward to reading it!

Jeffrey
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 06:20 pm:   

Ha! Thanks, pretty lady!. Sorry about flirting, but I like your Louise Brooks-ish hair cut; in fact, Louise Brooks is a character in my novel BONELAND. :-) Your headmistress sounds as scary as a demon.

Thanks for letting us know when the hardcover is shipping, Minh - I didn't know how to answer that. I sure do hope you find your money well spent...I don't want to have to feel guilty! I'm happy you enjoyed MONSTROCITY. I just recently found out about the Erik Wilson art booklet that goes along with the lettered version, so I can't wait to see that myself. Always cool to see what bonus treats a publisher plans on putting in a lettered edition. For BONELAND, among other things (I presume), I'll be sketching a strange critter, each one different, on the signature sheet. I've been sketching such critters in my notes as I write; I'm told my notes themselves might be reproduced in the book. But my art's nowhere NEAR as accomplished as Wilson's!

KJ Bishop
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 07:24 pm:   

Jeffrey, If you think I'm pretty, you should see my parasitic twin - she's a honey!

I suppose I'd better admit that my hair has grown - out of Louise Brooks, through Mia Wallace, down to something like Cleopatra (on a bad wig day).

I hope this hair situation doesn't mean you don't like me anymore...

Jeffrey
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 - 05:06 pm:   

Parasitic twin? Ohhh baby. I love freaks. Cleopatra? That sounds beguiling, too! Does your parasitic twin, at least, have a Louise Brooks bob, or does she even HAVE a head? (Not that it matters to me.)

JeffV
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 - 06:04 pm:   

I had a Louise Brooks-ish hair cut once. Jeff T. didn't even comment.

JeffV

Jeffrey
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 - 09:31 pm:   

Yeah, because it was done to your beard.

KJ Bishop
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 02:50 pm:   

Jeffrey,

My parasitic twin is a head, but an empty one. She has a Brooks bob, but doesn't have a brain. Pretty but shallow, if you ask me.

Jeffrey
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 03:44 pm:   

Ah, the perfect woman. (Kidding!)

KJ Bishop
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 04:31 pm:   

Talk about me setting myself up for that... ;)

Jeffrey
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 06:57 pm:   

You'll see there's a Demon with a Louise Brooks bob in LETTERS FROM HADES. Naturally, the narrator refers to her as "Lulu".

Jeffrey
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 05:00 pm:   

Yesterday I received my PC copies of the 26-copy, numbered/slipcased edition of LETTERS FROM HADES and it is unspeakably gorgeous!!!!! There are *two* hardcover books within the slipcase, both with a beautiful full color cover tipped into the center of the leather front. One is, of course, LETTERS FROM HADES (with a green satin attached bookmark) and the other book is an 80+ page volume entitled THE ART OF HADES, which features what was going to be the cover art for LFH, originally. This hardcover, too, has the bookmark, and it contains all the illustrations from LFH, each faced by a page with an excerpt from the novel which relates to that particular drawing. In addition, this second book contains my Hades-set short story THE ABANDONED, which features two MORE illustrations by the fantastic Erik Wilson (these 2 drawings not included in the trade paper or trade hardcover versions). Dave Barnett of Bedlam Press/Necro Publications is to be commended for putting such a beautiful package together -- I truly think it's a treasure as a book-artifact. So very proud he thought my work was worthy of this kind of treatment!

KJ Bishop
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 07:16 pm:   

Jeffrey,

I've finished reading LETTERS FROM HADES. Congratulations on a great book. (And my parasitic twin thinks so, too.) It took me back to my years as a kid at a school I won't call Christian so much as run by the kind of people who give Christianity a bad name. Favourite demon? The Overseers! I thought they were horridly delightful.

Jeffrey
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 04:20 pm:   

Thanks for the kind feedback! I'm flattered you enjoyed it. A number of readers have said the Overseers were their favorite breed of Demon. Your twin's favorite, as well?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration