BONELAND Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Thomas, Jeffrey » BONELAND « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 01:39 pm:   

Bloodletting Press has asked me to do a novel for them, so I'm in the process of writing one entitled BONELAND; I'm 50+ pages into it and very proud of what I've got thus far. Very excited and flattered at the invitation; Bloodletting has thus far published people like Elizabeth Massie and Douglas Clegg. More on the novel later. For now, one can visit their site at:
http://www.bloodlettingpress.com

Mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 03:00 pm:   

I look forward to hearing more about it so that I can look forward to it.

Jeffrey
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 03:36 pm:   

It starts out in 1893; I'm in 1920 at the moment. It's sort of a warped history of America.

Mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 09:46 am:   

Now available to order at Shocklines:

In 1893, the Guests attempt their first contact with the human race.

Families go mad. Parents commit suicide. A president is assassinated.

By 1918, in the bleak boneland of the 20th Century, human assassins commit atrocities and global wars are waged to sate the appetites of the Guests.

John Board is a crime scene photographer, whose nightmarish images of human destruction are used as titillating entertainment. Board's future is tied in with these unseen, unfathomable forces -- and so is his past. America is drowning in a sea of blood as flashbulbs click and movie cameras roll. The Guests are here to stay.

BONELAND is a tale of a not-so-alternate history...a story of horror, science fiction, and the surreal by Jeffrey Thomas, acclaimed author of LETTERS FROM HADES, PUNKTOWN and MONSTROCITY.

Cover artwork and illustrrations by Caniglia.

Jeffrey
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 04:51 pm:   

Holy Toledo! Only a few days since the above announcement was made, 17 copies of the regular hardcover and 11 of the lettered edition (almost half of the 26 copies!) have been preordered...this, for a book I'm only 70 pages into writing. Talk about pressure! But good pressure...

Mastadge
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 08:25 pm:   

I've got a question. You mentioned it's a novel, but Shocklines has it listed as a novella. How long do you project it'll be?

Either way, I'm one of those 17.

Jeffrey
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 12:17 pm:   

Ha...where I'm writing it, still, I don't know! I see it as a short novel...right now, maybe 45,000 words. No less than that, anyway. Thanks for ordering it!!! I'm very enthusiastic about how it's coming out...I'm about 21,000 words into it thus far (though to be fair, about 9,000 words of that already existed as an unpublished short story I used to call THE TRIPOD).

Jeffrey
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 - 05:11 pm:   

The prologue for BONELAND (pending a final polish) can now be read at the publisher's site:
http://www.bloodlettingbooks.com
Go to the link for the books they're publishing, then click on the BONELAND hardcover listing. I'm told the book is nearly a quarter of the way sold out already! Unreal...

JET
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 03:47 pm:   

My short (46,000 words) novel BONELAND has been finished and turned in to publisher Larry Roberts of Bloodletting Press. It's scheduled for release early in the second quarter of 2004. Whew! EXTREMELY proud of this work. Now, on to the next...

Mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 05:12 pm:   

Congratulations Why are you so particularly proud of this one?

And what's up next?

Jeffrey
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 06:14 am:   

I guess because it's pretty unusual...I don't know...the way it all came together for me. The various time periods the book covers (the story spans 64 years). Etc. It's very, very dark, though. Pretty bleak; more so than MONSTROCITY and LETTERS FROM HADES. But I hope there's an element of humor throughout.

I'll be doing chapbooks for two up and coming indie presses. Like GODHEAD DYING DOWNWARDS, there'll be limited traycased editions for these, as well. I just finished a novella for Delirium's "Dark Homage" series of Lovecraftian stories - there'll be six individual hardcover books in all, and mine is titled THE ARMS OF THE SUN.

Also, Prime has asked my brother Scott and I to write two short novels (about 30,000 words each) that will appear together in a book entitled THE SEA OF FLESH AND ASH. My novel will be called THE SEA OF FLESH and Scott's THE SEA OF ASH. I believe Scott's already begun writing his, and I'm greatly looking forward to clearing my plate a little more so I can start on mine.

Jeffrey
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 02:58 pm:   

The disturbing cover for BONELAND can now be seen at www.shocklines.com. The artist, Caniglia, acquired the photo he used for this from the files of his uncle, who was a police chief in the 1950's. It captures the mood of the novel perfectly.

Also, the interior illustrations I've seen from Caniglia are beautiful; there are going to be 3, I believe...

Jeff
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 10:27 am:   

Hi, Jeff, it's me, Jeff. Know what, Jeff? No, what, Jeff? My/your novel BONELAND is just weeks from release! Awesome, Jeff! I'll buy a copy for you if you buy one for me, Jeff. Er, how about a swap instead, Jeff? Well, okay, Jeff...

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 10:15 am:   

Jeff, is Bloodletting Press the only place that's publishing this novel for now?

JK

Jeffrey
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 01:53 pm:   

Yikes - a voice! Heh. I thought I was the only one in here. Yes, John...thanks for asking. It's a limited hardcover of 400 signed copies, with a sold-out traycased/lettered version of 26 copies (in a metal box designed like a miniature execution chamber with working lights and such, I am told - !!!). I don't think they'll be doing a trade paperback.

The publisher annouced that the ARCS have arrived and are going out, and that the book itself should be weeks away. I'm particularly excited about this one...

Mastadge
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 06:54 am:   

Excellent news. It looks like EVERYBODY SCREAM! will be out before too long, as well.

I do have a question, though. I'm one of those annoying fellers who likes to shelves his books in the order they were written, which is often but not always the order in which they're published. I get the feeling this is not the case with your books. For some reason I've the idea, sticking to the novels, that they were written in the following order: Everbody Scream!, Monstrocity, Letters from Hades, Boneland, and now I feel like I'm forgetting at least one, but maybe not. Anyway, is that right, or do I have it all mixed up? Thanks!

Jeffrey
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 02:10 pm:   

Yup, you have it right exactly. And THE SEA OF FLESH AND ASH (with brother Scott) would come after BONELAND in that sequence. Beyond that, I have to get back to writing! ;) (But there are numerous unpublished novels that I hope to squeeze in between these volumes in the future.)

Thanks for your interest in EVERYBODY SCREAM! - it's gratifying to see the attention its announcement is attracting at the Shocklines.com message board. I guess the deluxe edition of 100 has just about sold out within 24 hours. :-) But I realize of course that a lot of that has to do with its unique sculpted cover.

Mastadge
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 09:15 pm:   

Well, it seems that BONELAND's shipped -- and I still haven't read HONEY IS SWEETER. . .

Scott Thomas
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 05:40 am:   

Holy cow! That tray-cased version sounds super! Lights even. Dang, I'd have LOVED to have one of them.

I am terribly behind on my reading. Between moving, settling in and working, there hasn't been time. I'm largely through PUNKTOWN: THIRD EYE and am eager to get to HONEY IS SWEETER THAN BLOOD and BONELAND. I still have to read my own SHADOWS OF FLESH, eventually. Day jobs, I think, are a crime against reading.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration