My DVD List Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Thomas, Jeffrey » My DVD List « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 06:42 am:   

Since the thread on reading lists has been so fun, I thought I'd start another on DVD libraries. Mine may be a bit limited, but here goes. (Some of these are my wife's and son's, indicated as such to avoid possible embarrassment - not that I don't have my own quilty pleasures):

Mulholland Drive
Novocaine
Begotten
Fight Club
Norah Jones Live in New Orleans
A Better Tomorrow
In the Realm of the Senses
Possession (Isabelle Adjani)
Lord of the Flies (1963)
The Ring (American)
Red Dragon (think I still prefer Manhunter)
Combat Shock
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Organ (bizarre Japanese film)
The Thing
Dusk Til Dawn
Signs
Resident Evil
Star Wars Episode 2
The Wings of the Dove
Planet of the Apes (much inferior to original)
The Cell
Dark City
City of Lost Children
The Element of Crime
Faust (Svankmajer)
Run Lola Run
House on Haunted Hill/Last Man on Earth
Tombs of the Blind Dead/Return of the Blind Dead
The Brothers Quay Collection (my favorite DVD?)
Exclalibur
The Dark Crystal
Destroy All Monsters (my son's; he prefers videos)
Queen of the Damned (my wife's!)
The Others (wife's)
A Walk to Remember (wife's)
Lord of the Rings (wife's)
Sleepy Hollow (wife's)
The Wedding Singer (wife's)

And, from David Lynch's web site, I've just ordered the DVD of Eraserhead (at last; though I have the video; this will be my prized DVD) and a DVD of Lynch's short films. Heaven!!!

Mastadge
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 07:21 am:   

I've got too damned many. I regret the hundreds or thousands of dollars I spent in the months after I got a DVD drive in my computer. There are probably 15 or 20 movies I'm glad I own, and that I watch frequently enough to have made the investment worthwhile, but there are easily five times that many that basically just sit there. I should probably try to sell most of 'em, make some money back so I can buy more books. :-)

John Klima
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:42 pm:   

Small list, only one I shall consider my wife's alone (I bought it for her) the rest I enjoy myself as well:

Amelie
Annie (my wife's)
Austin Powers International Man of Mystery
Austin Powers the Spy Who Shagged Me
Barenaked Ladies: Barelaked Nadies
Beauty & the Beast (Disney)
Blade Runner
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Dogma
Futurama Vol I
The Green Mile
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2-disc set)
The Matrix
Monsters, Inc.
Moulin Rouge
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
The Nightmare Before Christmas
O Brother Where Art Thou?
The Shawshank Redemption
This is Spinal Tap (can't put the umlaut over the 'N')

That's it. Don't worry Mastadge, when I was in college, I bought every video/CD I was interested in. I probably had 1000s of CDs. Now my wife and I together have fewer than 500 (still a large number). I've really learned to make myself justify buying something before I do it. You probably should sell them, since you probably learn a book a day on this board that you need to read NEXT. :-)

Luís Rodrigues
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:55 pm:   

My puny DVD collection:

The Insider
The Shawshank Redemption
Seven
Pulp Fiction
The Talented Mr Ripley
Fargo
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Blood Simple
Bullets Over Broadway
Scream
Heavenly Creatures
The Fellowship of the Ring
Best of Bowie

Cheers,
Luís

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:51 pm:   

Not DVDs but VCDs (a format which I gather never caught on outside of Asia):

Avalon (by Mamoru Oshii)
Being John Malkovich
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Donnie Darko
Ghost in the Shell
Insomnia
Memento
Metropolis
Minority Report
The Ninth Gate (ugh!)
Princess Mononoke
Run Lola Run
Serial Experiments Lain
Session 9
Shakespeare in Love
Spirited Away
Uzumaki

and my only DVD, Vidocq.

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:53 pm:   

Oh, and I forgot Bladerunner: The Director's Cut.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:29 pm:   

The Brothers Quay - I see a lot of people like their animation, but not many mention their live action film, "Institute Benjamenta." This is not necessarily on this thread, but in many places. It seems many just aren't aware of Institute Benjamenta. It's black and white and is one of the most beautiful films I've seen. I highly recommend it if you like their animation. I also look forward to them finishing "The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes." And maybe their short "In Absentia" will get released in the US at some point.

Exclalibur - One thing about this film has always bugged me - nobody ever takes their armor off. They wear it to dinner, to sleep, and even have sex while wearing it. I find it hard to take the film seriously because of this.

Nicholas - cool to see somebody mention Uzumaki. I really enjoyed seeing how many spirals they could fit into that film. A lot of the shots were even filmed with the camera moving in spiral patterns.

I've got a bunch of DVDs I never watch (bought them on a buying binge) and that I plan on selling. The ones I actually plan on keeping are

12 Monkeys
Amelie
Arabian Nights (Hallmark's adaptation, very sanitized but pretty good)
The Brothers Quay Collection
Cabinet of Doctor Caligari
Castle in the Sky
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
The Crow
Dark City
Dead Again
Dead Man
Genghis Blues
Hakkenden (very surreal samurai anime)
The Insider
Institute Benjamenta
Fellowship of the Ring
Memento
Nightmare Before Christmas
The Others
Pi
Princess Mononoke
Rejected (one of the most brilliant short animations I've seen, about 15 minutes of stick figure animation telling the story of an animator's decent into madness)
Sixth Sense
Six String Samurai
Snatch
Spirited Away
Stir of Echoes
Unbreakable
Marillion - Singles Collection
The Tea Party - Illuminations
Tool - Salival

-Robert

Matthew Martens
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:33 pm:   

>Mulholland Drive

Best Lynch film after Eraserhead? I think it may be. Which is sort of heartening considering how late in his career it was made. Here's to many more.

>Brotherhood of the Wolf

How is this? I see it's on a couple of lists here. I have it in my queue at Greencine (a Netflix-style online dvd rental company with a better selection of independents, foreign films, horror, anime, etc.), but I keep putting it off in favor of other things for some reason.

>The Brothers Quay Collection (my favorite DVD?)

Mine, too. But then, I only own a very few, preferring to own less and see more by using Greencine. Besides the Brothers Quay, I've been checking out a lot of other excellent and strange animators (quite apart from anime, which I also watch a lot of -- currently Serial Experiments: Lain, Boogiepop Phantom, and Crest of the Stars, all multi-volume series), most notably Jiri Trnka, Paul Driessen, and Ladislas Starewicz (and Svankmajer, who's a given, I think).

What I own:

Brother Quay Collection
Angel's Egg (Oshii's furthest-out film, comparable to, say, Fantastic Planet)
The Long Goodbye (favorite Altman after Images)
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
Cowboy Bebop vols. 1&2
Lupin III: First Season Collection
Studio Ghibli Collection (a six-DVD bootleg; didn't know that when I bought it, but it's still great to have all of these films in one place)
Wings of Honneamise

--Matthew

Mastadge
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 04:28 pm:   

Brotherhood of the Wolf is awesome. A feast for the eyes. :-)

Jeffrey
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 02:34 pm:   

Wow, great lists; I knew this would be fascinating. That animated film REJECTED sounds intriguing! As for INSTITUTE BENJAMENTA, Robert, I have it on video - yes, very beautiful, dream-like. I hadn't heard of the Quays' PIANO TUNER, in the works. And I haven't seen FRIDA yet, which I know the Quays did some animation for.

As for EXCALIBUR, I think it's cool that they never take their armor off! :-) I think one of the main conflicts in the film is the burden on these very human characers of the legendary roles they must embody - the armor is like a restricting mantle of myth they can never shed.

I've been trying to find UZUMAKI; sounds very bizarre.

Luis, I really like TALENTED MR. RIPLEY; very disturbing how one can feel both repelled by the character and sorry for him, want him to succeed even as he gets more warped.

I love MULHOLLAND DRIVE but I actually prefer BLUE VELVET (and even THE ELEPHANT MAN, which is gorgeous in black and white, and has a lot of ERASERHEAD's industrial tone). I love when contemporary films are shot in black and white. I have RAGING BULL, PI, TETSUO on video (haven't seen Tetsuo 2). INSTITUTE BENJAMENTA is in black and white.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 07:12 am:   

I wasn't too interested in Frida, but then I heard the Quays worked on it, so now I want to see it. Unfortunately, finding info on their current projects is rather difficult. The only thing I know about Piano Tuner is they're working on it, and Terry Gilliam is supposed to be executive producer.

Interesting take on the armor in Excaliber. I suppose always wearing armor is no more bizarre than barbarian films, where people never wear armor.

Uzumaki hasn't had a video release in the US (just film festivals & art theaters, plus airing on the Sundance chanel occasionally). There are unsubtitled VCDs available though. And the manga is available translated (it's quite grotesque).

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 07:28 am:   

I always remembered EXCALIBER fondly. It was something that I watched on TV late at night while in middle school/high school and thought was great. My wife wanted to use it to help teach the Arthur legend to her high school students. I told her it was 'R' and there was certainly nudity in the film. So, we decided to view it before showing it to the kids. I was mortified. It wasn't the sword clanging adventure I remembered, it was weird, artistic, badly acted, all in all, it was overdone crap.

I don't remember them sleeping in their armor, but I remember them wearing it A LOT. But honestly, if you truly had that type of armor on, would you bother to take it off and put it back on several times a day? The sex scene was more than weird. Good call on the barbarian movies never wearing armor.

My favorite thing about DVDs is the relatively small package they make for entire seasons of television shows. I like that TV shows are moving to DVD quickly as opposed to how they NEVER came to video.

JK

Mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 07:54 am:   

What TV shows do people buy on DVD?

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 08:44 am:   

I have the first vol of FUTURAMA shows, and I plan on picking up the SIMPSONS and FAMILY GUY DVDs once I get myself organized. I had some of the SOPRANOS on DVD, but sold them since I never watched them. Other than the animated shows I mentioned, the only other show I can think of off the top of my head that I want is TWIN PEAKS, which I have on tape. The worst thing about the TWIN PEAKS set is that they only have the first season out, and it doesn't include the pilot. Is that stupid or what? You can't even buy the pilot unless you order it as an import from Amazon.

Aside from buying them, my wife and I will rent entire seasons of a TV show on DVD and catch up on what we missed (or check out something we hadn't seen before). A few stores near where I live rent them as one giant rental, instead one DVD at a time. Stupid for them, good for me!

JK

Jeffrey
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 01:20 pm:   

Just received the DVD of ERASERHEAD and THE SHORT FILMS OF DAVID LYNCH (I ordered them off his web site - along with a T-shirt, ERASERHEAD CD with bonus "dance track", and coffee mug - yeah, I'm a fan). Enjoyed his short films quite a lot, particularly THE ALPHABET (eerie), THE GRANDMOTHER (very much an ERASERHEAD feel, though in color and with sparser sets), and the 55 second LUMIERE. It was great to see some of these films which I've read about for so many years. Oh, and I loved the film loop SIX MEN GETTING SICK, though the siren that accompanies it gets a bit much!

Trent Jamieson
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 02:40 am:   

What great lists.

John, in Australia you get the first season with the pilot, one of the few times the Aussie DVD is better than the US version. My wife and I are hanging out for season two, we fell in love watching that series, a week long Twin Peaks binge. David Lynch gets under my skin in a way few other directors can, I find him terrifying, exhilarating, and funny in equal measure.

TJ

Jeffrey
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 10:13 am:   

On the ERASERHEAD DVD there's a fantastic interview with Lynch, almost an hour and a half long. It's just fascinating to see how ERASERHEAD evolved, and was made over a period of years by devoted artists who had to scrounge in dumpsters for materials to work with. A bit unnerving to hear what Lynch did with a dead cat he got from a vet...and unnerving to see a deleted scene from ERASERHEAD featuring that cat. (This deleted clip forms the DVD's menu screen.) But hey, Joel-Peter Witkin uses people, so...

John Klima
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 07:21 pm:   

My wife hates everything Lynch, except for Twin Peaks. We have the whole series on tape. I once watched the entire series three times over the course of two weeks. I wrote a really long paper on who the Woodsman is in Fire Walk With Me, then I realized I just needed to go outside for some air.

JK

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration