A Nightmare on Elm Street: THE DREAM ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Thomas, Jeffrey » A Nightmare on Elm Street: THE DREAM DEALERS « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey Thomas
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 02:13 pm:   

This is from my monthly newsletter...cuz I'm lazy!
In the summer of 2004, mass market publisher Black Flame approached me and asked if I'd be interested in developing original novels around some New Line Cinema franchises they had the rights to, such as FRIDAY THE 13th, its spinoff JASON X, and A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET. A half dozen or so pitches ensued, one of these creeping further and further along through the process, until I got the word this past July (while vacationing in Disney World with my son Colin) that New Line Cinema had read my detailed synopsis and green lighted my proposal for an original NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET novel entitled THE DREAM DEALERS. My son and I went on Disney's Great Movie Ride shortly after receiving
the news; at the end of the ride through animatronic scenes from various movies one enters a theater and is treated to clips from a good many motion pictures. One of the faces that flashed upon the screen was the burned visage of Freddy Krueger, and I recall being excited that I'd soon be putting that American pop icon through some of his paces. In fact, Freddy's a universal pop icon; while vacationing in Seoul in 2004 I remember seeing a tattered old movie poster for FREDDY VS. JASON pasted to the wall on some little back street. So it was a great deal of fun attaching myself in some way to the Freddy Mythos, while at the same time bringing a lot of my own style and personality to the proceedings (THE DREAM DEALERS takes place a few years in the future and addresses the relationship between people and technology in themes similar to those I've used in a lot of my PUNKTOWN-based fiction). And I want to mention that I endeavored to make Freddy really scary again, as in the better movies in his series. Anyway, owing to the fact that I had my own detailed synopsis to guide me, the actual writing of the 95,000 word novel went very quickly and has been turned in...so look for A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET: THE DREAM DEALERS to be released in the not-too-distant future of July 3rd, 2006.

Nick Mamatas
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 08:19 pm:   

Congrats! Nice to see you breaking onto the chain store shelves!

Jeffrey Thomas
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 10:08 pm:   

Thanks, Nick. I turned 48 the other day and it's been a looooong road to the shelves. After 5 years of placing my books and trying to become established as a serious fantasist, I've decided it's less lonely being a slut.

Jeff-REY
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 02:18 pm:   

The novel is up for advance order on Amazon, etc., so one can view the cover. I'm assured the spelling of my name has been corrected. Heh. It's freaky for me to see my name (however it's spelled) on the cover of a book featuring Freddy Krueger...but a good kind of freaky! Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1844163830/ref=pd_kar_1/104-3437771-6163151?n=2 83155

Jeffrey Thomas
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 01:57 am:   

Chat tonight!

The following has been posted at the Shocklines message board:

Join Jeffrey Thomas at The Lost and The Damned on Saturday, September 9 at 10 PM EST, 9 PM CST, 8 PM MST, 7 PM PST.

Jeffrey is the author of such books as Punktown, Boneland, Unholy Dimensions, AAAIIIEEE!!!

Also, A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Dealers will be given away. We have 2 copies so come and chat.

Please join me if you can! The link is:

http://lostdamned.com/chat.htm

- Jeffrey

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration