Shades of Grey Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Thomas, Jeffrey » Shades of Grey « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 07:32 am:   

Jeffrey (or Scott):

What can you guys tell us about PUNKTOWN: SHADES OF GREY?

Jeffrey
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 10:32 am:   

So sorry; I didn't see this question sooner!

Okay, first off: Necro Publications (who released my novel LETTERS FROM HADES) is doing this collection of stories -- set in my world of "Punktown" -- as a hardcover. I don't think they'll be doing a paperback, in addition. Half of the stories are by me, half by my brother Scott. Here are the contents:

by JEFFREY THOMAS:

The Unbearable Being of Light**
The Hate Machines*
Sweaty Betty, Termite Queen of the Danged
Purple Wings
Perfectly Beastly*
Adrift on the Sea of Milk*
Hydra**
Mourning Cloak**

by SCOTT THOMAS:

Pulse
Frankensteinís Reflection
A Shade of Grey
I Have Killed Millions
Under the Cherub
Veterans
The Merciful Universe

* = first appeared on a web site
** = first appeared in a publication

The oldest story is by Scott, "Veterans" -- going back to 1981, I believe, though never submitted anywhere. He credits me with its original concept but the story is all his. As I look at the contents myself, I think that my own stories here all lean more consistently and more heavily toward darkness, violence and bleakness than do the stories in PUNKTOWN.

Anyway, I appreciate your interest in this!

Mastadge
Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 10:33 am:   

So with Punktown material written over the past quarter century all being published within the past few years, is there any particular order in which you'd recommend reading all the Punktown stuff?

JT
Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 10:07 pm:   

I try to write each Punktown story as if no other Punktown story exists...but if you haven't already read the collection PUNKTOWN (sorry that I don't recall!), either the original Ministry of Whimsy version or the new, beefed up Prime version, it might be a good place to start just for the varied feel, the spectrum of stories it offers. I think the novel EVERYBODY SCREAM! is also a good initial immersion into the city (that one goes back to 1987). If you really wanted to follow a clear order, I guess I'd have to suggest:

PUNKTOWN
EVERYBODY SCREAM!
MONSTROCITY
PUNKTOWN: THIRD EYE
PUNKTOWN: SHADES OF GREY (last only because it isn't due out until later in the year).

Again, thanks for your interest!!!

Jeffrey
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 11:34 am:   

"Punktown: Shades of Grey" has now been released, and it's gorgeous. The illustrations by Travis Anthony Soumis really enhance the mood and texture of the book. I think readers will be richly rewarded, in particular, experiencing my brother Scott's take on the city of Punktown.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration