Altered Carbon N0000B Question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Morgan, Richard » Altered Carbon N0000B Question « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mandy Young
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 09:33 am:   

I'm about half-way through Altered Carbon and I AB-SO-LU-TELY. LOVE. IT. I'm showering my friend who recommended it to me with bookLURRRVE.

However, I have a question. I didn't quite understand what the significance was of the inner office doors of the PsycheSec being made of the mirrorwood. Kovac laughs when he sees it, and I know it has something to do with the comparison of its use in regards to the security of the place, but I didn't get it. Can anyone explain?

And what exactly does the mirrorwood do? Just a little confused about it, even if it doesn't really have a great impact on the storyline.

Adam Davison
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 03:02 am:   

I believe it is because mirrorwood is ubiquitous elsewhere (or even on his homeworld, Harlan's World), that Kovacs is amused by its use in a rather exclusive clinic for the uber-rich...but it's been a while since I read it!

It's good to see more people converted to Kovacs' universe. Be sure to read Broken Angels and Woken Furies too!

richard morgan
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 09:13 am:   

Hi Mandy,

Thanks for the kind words and enthusiasm.

Yeah, Adam's right - on Harlan's World, mirrorwood is cheap and plentiful, and used in every corner bar. It is a wood (or pseudowood, since it originates on another planet) with a high reflective index, and when correctly treated and glossed, it works almost like a mirror, throwing back light in copious quantities. On Earth, since it has to be either freighted by (sublight) interstellar haulage, or grown to order from the hypercast-transmitted gene code, it is incredibly expensive. Kovacs feels a bit the way you would if you went somewhere and found the lobby of a prestigious law firm adorned with beautifully rendered murals - on linoleum.

Mandy Young
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 04:12 pm:   

Gotcha. Very cool. Thanks so much for the responses!

I plan on checking out Broken Angels and Woken Furies, as well! (read that as Furries the first time around and raised my eyebrows a bit, LMFAO)

William Lexner
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 03:16 pm:   

Sorry I'm getting people who say 'LMFAO' addicted to your books, Richard.

Sue
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 04:37 pm:   

I wonder is some art dedicated to the AC universe? I'd be of a mind to do some myself if I had another life. I'm dying to see some of this on the big screen or in art.

Reading the trilogy really got me thinking about the connection between body / mind / psyche. One thing I've wanted to ask is how much does being in a new sleeve affect the personality of the individual? Is the individual's psyche / mind formed in the original body? Does changing bodies change the mind / psyche? Current research I've read suggests that the brain is pretty plastic even in adulthood, so I'm wondering how living in a new body, changing gender, changing body type, etc. even if you have the same brain, would shape the psyche/mind. Does that make sense or am I mixing up concepts that shouldn't be mixed up?

Mandy Young
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 11:48 am:   

I'm half way through Market Forces and loving it! Broken Angels is on my Christmas list.

Thanks William for the rec. Awesome books! (And thanks for not being embarrassed for knowing me :-p That must have been hard for you.)

richard morgan
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 01:37 pm:   

Hi Sue,

No artwork as yet, along with no new news on the movies. Plus ca change....

The mind/body interface in the Kovacs books is assumed to be mind-led - that is, the arriving consciousness stamps itself fairly unequivocally on the new brain and nervous system. That said, there's bound to be a great deal of interference from the base genetic and previously acquired physical attributes of the sleeve. In AC, Kovacs has to deal with his host's smoking addiction, not only in terms of what it does chemically to him, but also in that he discovers he has a series of programmed in macro-reflexes - his sleeve is likely to open a packet of cigarettes and feed itself a new coffin nail completely automatically, if he's not paying enough attention to stop it. (I had an uncle once who had exactly that macro - fascinating to watch). Similarly, in Woken Furies, Kovacs gets the gekko grip capacity built into his new sleeve, but along with that comes an overwhelming itch to scale the nearest vertical surface whenever he's stressed (translates biochemically "feeling trapped"). In Broken Angels the scrapings of wolf gene complex his combat sleeve carries endow him with an inconveniently deep sense of pack loyalty which costs him a great deal of effort to break. The outcome of these tussles will come down to force of will (I guess I'm a bit of a Nietzchian at base), which any Envoy in general and Kovacs in particular is loaded with. Then again, you can't fight your own body the whole time, or you'll end up pyschically shredded and that's no use in the line of work the Envoys are intended for, so the Envoy Corps teaches Zen technique for relaxing into the new sleeve and learning to live with the difference wherever possible. What you can use, you put up with - what gets seriously in the way has to be changed. Gender shift is a good case in point Clearly, if you're male and you wind up in a female sleeve, you're (in most cases) going to find yourself frustratingly poorly endowed with fight chemistry - not that women can't be aggressive, it's just that they mostly seem to need a reason, whereas men only seem to need an excuse. Now these tendencies can probably be trained in and out to a certain extent (there are a substantial number of women who function competently in professions of violence) and that's what your newly arrived Envoy would have to set about doing - training the sleeve biochemically to behave more aggressively. Sexual predilection, on the other hand, would be strictly a luxury item, and not worth bothering about.

Adam Davison
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 04:28 am:   

Sue, I made a poster for a possible Altered Carbon movie a couple of years ago, I'll post a link if you're interested, but it was just a bit of fun!

richard morgan
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 02:26 pm:   

Hey Adam - was that you? The X-ray image of the bullet in the spine, an ting?

Adam Davison
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 07:18 am:   

Hi Richard, yes indeed, that was me. Sorry, I should have explained that you might know me from here too!

I think I may have sent you another poster too, featuring some possible casting choices, including Tom Sizemore as Kovacs! Oh dear, the things we do when bored at work...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration