Black man connectedo to Market Forces? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Morgan, Richard » Black man connectedo to Market Forces? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Black Man in October?Javier Bernedo López10-08-06  03:59 pm
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Javier Bernedo López
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 09:48 am:   

There´s a part in Market Forces when Faulker picks a copy of Altered Carbon and thinks: "It all seemed very far-fetched."

Some lines behind Chirs begins to writte about:"an imaginaery brief for the NAME account set five years into a future where Barranco had taken power and instituted wide-ranging land reform". It ends: "It also seemed very far-fetched."

I think (I´m not sure) I have heard that Black Man is settled in Machu Pichu (is that right?).

Is Black Man the novel Chris begins to writte?

Thanks.

Richard: Perdoname mi inglés. Te veo el martes en Barcelona.

Javier Bernedo López
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 02:40 pm:   

I forget to say one thing. I know Machu Pichu is in Peru, not Colombia, but anyway...

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 08:16 pm:   

Bumped in case it got lost in the spam tsunami.

Adam Davison
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 05:34 am:   

I'm sure Richard will set the record straight here, but I doubt there is a real connection. Previous inter-book references have been in-jokes or recurring, non-related ideas. It has been mentioned by Richard that creating the brand-new Black Man universe has been quite a task, and that would suggest no deliberate parity between the new book and Market Forces.

richard morgan
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 07:58 am:   

yep, just as you say, Adam - Black Man is a whole new universe. There are some quite strong thematic links to the other books, but in terms of actual connection, none is intended. In some senses, the book has been about asking myself a whole series of speculative technological/human questions which the specifics of the Kovacs universe will not allow me to address. But anyone who enjoyed the Kovacs books should feel right at home in this new future.

richard morgan
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 08:02 am:   

oh, yeah, Javier, in full answer to your question - Machu Picchu doesn't actually feature in the book (though some other Inca ruins do).

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   

This one comes out in the US in October, right? I'm finishing up Broken Angels now, by the way, and I fucking love it.

Tim Akers
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 08:45 pm:   

Nathan, have you read Market Forces yet? I think it may appeal to you.

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 09:46 pm:   

Yeah I did. I thought it was great. All that remains to me now (aside from Black Man) is Woken Furies.

Adam Davison
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 05:02 am:   

Richard, that sounds very interesting. I'm gagging some new SF after something of a fiction trend to my reading of late!

Tim Akers
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 06:23 am:   

Me? I'm just waiting for Black Man. (drums fingers, in a patient and yet insistent sort of way)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration