Rushdie redux Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Morgan, Richard » Rushdie redux « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

richard
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 08:15 pm:   

Thought I'd put the boot into my own government for a change, instead of the one across the pond...it's SO nice to see the British Left - as represented by Jack "tough on drugs unless they're being smoked by my son" Straw - repeat their craven lack of moral spine when confronted with extremist Muslim anger over free speech. A decade and a half ago, the British Left abandoned Rushdie to fatwa and death threats, and now they're doing the same with a group of Danish cartoonists, and newspaper editors across Europe. Straw: (hovering queasily in front of the cameras)......uhm yes, of course there is free speech, but uhm, not in this case, because uhm, well, see, we've already fucked up our Muslim consituency with a totally unwarranted invasion of Iraq and we'd really like those votes back, fellas, so, yes, Bad cartoonists!!! How dare you draw cartoons that might offend someone. Bad editors!! How dare you draw attention to a longstanding and endemic clash between secular freedom of expression and deep religious intolerance. Vote for Us, Muslims, we'll see you right...well, until we have to bomb Iran, anyway.

excuse me while I puke

Neal Asher
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 03:05 am:   

Have you seen the cartoons: http://www.samizdata.net/blog/archives/008395.html If anything those responsible for them should be slammed for producing stuff so unfunny ... though, then again, the one about the lack of virgins is quite amusing.

Righto, apparently it's okay to arrest an 82-year-old man at labour party conferences under anti-terrorism laws, and to arrest another old man for being assaulted by homosexuals he upset, so let's see how the police deal with those shouting for a European 911, for heads to be cut off and for editorial offices to be bombed.

richard
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 10:47 am:   

Wait........and they've dealt with it by.........you guessed it: doing absolutely fuck all. What a surprise.

Re the cartoons: must be a British humour thing, Neal - the Virgins were my favourite too. It reminded me of the schtick from a female Muslim comedian at the Edinburgh festival who said she was desperate to lose her virginity quick, in case she died and had to spend her afterlife with a suicide bomber. Had a nice catchphrase too - "Does my bomb look big in this?" Cracking stuff. Not sure if she's had death threats yet or not.

Neal Asher
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 11:59 am:   

Did you see the apology by the guy in those protests who dressed up as a suicide bomber? He didn't mean to offend anyone or anything. I guess fundamentalism switches off parts of the brain beside those ones related to sense of humour.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration