Reviews of Market Forces (out in the ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Morgan, Richard » Reviews of Market Forces (out in the U.S Now!) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 10:32 am:   

Okay, this is just a live journal entry, but I like how it compared to two "opposing" reviews of market forces...

http://www.livejournal.com/users/ninebelow/55776.html

Mike Bryant
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 06:45 am:   

One comment below the review reads:

"...Morgan's dialogue--the way. That characters spoke. Like this. Drove me up the wall, and whatever happened to question marks? Can you really get away with a full stop at the end of a sentence like this. I think not!"

I really like this aspect of Richard's writing - in real life people don't talk in long meandering sentences with perfect pauses for punctuation. Also, aren't I right in thinking that written rhetorical questions don't necessarily need question marks?

Still, it's good to see a range of differing opinions on a book I enjoyed so much.

richard
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 10:31 am:   

yeah, you're right Jeremy - nice, balanced review.

Re the dialogue stops, I'd love to lay claim to this technique as mine own, but it's something I nicked from Anthony Burgess's End of the World News. He uses it, sparingly, to evoke the sense of a woman speaking through sobs, and it works very well. I grabbed it and now tend to use it much more extensively to convey all sorts of pauses, because I realised, looking at Burgess's trick, that yeah, most voice pauses do sound more like a full stop than a line of dots. In retrospect, I can see occasions where it perhaps hasn't worked as well as I'd have liked, but I'm still inclined to keep it in the armoury, and maybe just deploy it a little more selectively in future. You live and learn...

...and then of course, you die and forget it all. :-)

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 07:16 pm:   

http://tinyurl.com/6zw34

Andrew Leonard reviews Market Forces in the New York Times.

An excerpt --

"Richard K. Morgan is one of science fiction's bright young lights, a crisp stylist who demonstrates equal facility with action scenes and angst."

A very nice review. Finally, a reviewer who totally gets it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration