HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Market Forces!!!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Morgan, Richard » Market Forces!!! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 11:49 am:   

Just a brief note: For anybody who has resisted the urge to buy a copy of Richard's latest novel, Market Forces... stop resisting... Go out and by a copy RIGHT NOW.

I just finished reading this masterpiece. To my mind, it is a far more ambitious and successful novel then either of his first two. It kicks much ass, and should not be missed.

If you live in the U.S., then go buy import copies !! This is one of the best books of 2004, and you shouldn't miss it just because his U.S. publisher is a bit behind the curve. It’s that damn good. No – its better then that.

Good Job, Richard. I thought you were a great writer based on ALTERED CARBON, and BROEKN ANGEL. Now… damn… I don’t have the words. “You rock!” will have to do for now.

- jl

Mastadge
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 02:20 pm:   

Hmm. I'm still partial to ALTERED CARBON, though I certainly enjoyed both of the others very much. MARKET FORCES seemed to start off a bit slow; I didn't really get into it until almost halfway through for some reason.

JJA
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 07:41 pm:   

I'm with Jeremy. I was very impressed with both Altered Carbon and Broken Angels, but I thought Market Forces was just plain brilliant. It completely blew me away, and I've gone on record calling it the best novel so far this century.

And I agree, it's completely worth it to import it now via Amazon UK.

Adam Davison
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 06:42 am:   

I see on Amazon that Woken Furies is to be released on 17th March 2005. I've never be so eager waiting for a release before - this seems like an eternity away.

And yeah, Market Forces is excellent.

richard
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 10:01 am:   

Thanks guys, I'm blushing.

I'm also in Peru right now, trekking mostly out of reach of internet cafes, hence the lack of appearances here. Back in early October tho{ - see you all then.

Tribeless
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 04:07 pm:   

Didn't realise there was a third novel (strange when you think about it as we capitalists are normally so quick off the mark :-)

Anyway, I only read etexts these days so I'm assuming as Palm Digital Media ultimately sold both your first novels in Palm format, then Market Forces will be available also in that format.

Just have to wait for a bit I guess.

brainshades
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 10:43 pm:   

Anyone know if a mass-market paperback for ALTERED CARBON is forthcoming in the US anytime soon? I read it as a UK hardcover when it first came out, but I'd like to get it in the hands of some friends for whom the Del Rey edition is still a bit pricey... (cheapskates...).

Adam
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 02:20 am:   

Richard - Having been reading Altered Carbon again, in the light of reading Market Forces earlier in the year, I notice several references between the universes of the two. Audacious in-jokes aside (I think you'll know what I mean!), I believe there were the same weapons manufacturers in Market Forces as in Altered Carbon, and talk of corporate wars in AC which seem to be related to events in MF. How much were you intending your books to be related? Is the future of AC a possible outcome of society in MF? Or are you just referencing your other work as a nod to readers? Just wondering really...

Cheers

richard
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 11:48 am:   

Hi Adam - MF is really a standalone, although I suppose it's true there are some themes of corporate violence in common with the Kovacs books - put that down to my obsessive nature. The in-joke was a spur of the moment thing, partly, as you say, a nod to readers coming from the Kovacs books, and partly as one step in a conscious effort I made to distance myself from the character of Chris, to remind myself, if you like, that he's not me.

The weapons - hmmm. The Nemex appears mainly because it was in the original MF screenplay, penned long before I'd written more than a half dozen chapters of what would later become Altered Carbon, and I couldn't bring myself to bin it from MF the novel (in fact the Nemesis 10, known to its friends as the Nemex, is one of my oldest imaginings and made its first appearance in a now-defunct future cop novel I wrote back in the late nineteen eighties). You'll note, however, that it's made by a different arms manufacturer in each book, something that again was a deliberate attempt to dissociate MF from the Kovacs series.

The Kalashnikovs appear, in MF, out of a sense of contemporary realism - they really are the insurgency arm of choice around the world - and in the Kovacs books because everything I've read suggests that they are among the finest and toughest battlefield weapons ever made, and, sad to admit, I have a soft spot for hard-wearing, well-made machinery, even when it has a purpose as anti-social as that of the average assault rifle (no, no, I hear the NRA bleating, we use them for hunting, honest...Yeah, Right)

richard
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 11:53 am:   

Brainshades - sorry, I missed that query, I was still in transit when you posted. The answer from me at least is that I don't know. I suspect that the long and the short of it is that as long as the Trade editions of AC and BA are still selling strongly, Del Rey probably won't be in a hurry to bring out an MMP of either. However, that's my guess, not anything they've told me. As I put on another thread a little while ago, I tend to maintain a smug "I'm an artist" distance from the actual business of selling my stuff, so I'm often uselessly vague on these matters.

Scott Ryan
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 10:48 am:   

"MF is really a standalone, although I suppose it's true there are some themes of corporate violence in common with the Kovacs books."

And isn't there a hint that the book takes place in Kovacs's universe? Shorn Associates . . . Shorn Biotech . . .

Of course the little cameo appearance by _Altered Carbon_ toward the end would then be a bit paradoxical.

richard
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 07:04 pm:   

hi Scott

again the resonance of the name Shorn is really just a bit of recycling on my part. A nasty corporate body called Shorn has featured in my fiction, much like the Nemesis 10, from way before I began to write either Market Forces the screenplay or any of the Kovacs novels. I always liked the way it sounded, so I used it in the MF screenplay, picked it up again for convenience' sake when I needed it for a passing reference in Kovacs (the screenplay was by then buried in a box somewhere), and then wasn't prepared to sacrifice it when I finally got the chance to write MF the novel.

In a sense the inclusion of Altered Carbon as the book Chris fails to read (too far fetched for him - not like the solid realities of his own world!! :-) ) was also a kind of disclaimer, a way of letting people know this book wasn't associated with the Kovacs series - and perhaps should not even be read in quite the same way.

Mandy Young
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 03:10 pm:   

I finished Market Forces and I was pretty much blown away. I got Broken Angels for Christmas and finished it - loved it, although I still think that at this point Market Forces was my favorite. I really hope we get to see this in movie-format. I almost bought a bunch of copies of it for presents for the people I work with, but then thought I might get slapped with some sort of lawsuit because of racey content :p

richard morgan
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 06:57 am:   

well, that'd make for some cool publicity, Mandy. Go for it! :-)

Arshad Ali
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 07:28 pm:   

Pdavies
Username: Pdavies

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 08:30 am:   

Classic book and a wonderful read. My copy, incidentally, should by now be sitting in the in-tray of a friend who's just started at Goldmans. Heh. Enjoy the ride, matey.

I felt like I was supposed to come away from it disliking the protagonist a lot more than I did. Even after finishing the book, I'd say that by the standards of, f'rexample, the Alex cartoon, he's got an exemplary sense of social duty!

Anyway, for someone who writes from a specific point of view, Richard gives his characters impressively even-handed treatment. Very, very impressed - just tucking into Woken Furies now.

Jack_m_vance
Username: Jack_m_vance

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 02:48 am:   

Its funny if i hadnt read somewhere RM saying no TK books in the near future, i would have devoured this book last year when i read TK books first.

After that news i was depressed about the lack of Takeshi Kovacs that i even forgot about reading his other books...

Shame RM isnt the usual SFF writer that loves long series, i wouldnt mind that at all with TK :-)

Does Market Forces have The Noirish element that i love seeing TK books ?

Jamesek
Username: Jamesek

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 06:53 am:   

I would say that Market Forces has a certain noir-ish element. It's probably not as easy to pigeon hole as that though. I found the book really enjoyable - there's a certain darkness and moral ambiguity about the main character(s) which I like. Similarly with Kovacs, there is no pretence that he is a purely good person - he has his own moral code that quite often flies in the face of what "should" be perceived as good... Which leads neatly onto Ringil Eskiath in TSR...

Moral ambiguity re right and wrong within the whole canon yet strong personal senses of what is right and wrong for the main protagonists seem to be a thread through all of Richard's work.

I think what I like most about Market Forces is the sense that if everything was to go pear shaped then it is not as dystopian future as we first think. There are several threads within the book that are very bleak uber-extensions of issues facing the world today.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |