What I'm reading Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Rodrigues, Luis » What I'm reading « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Luigi Rodrigi
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 01:40 am:   

Serway & Beichner's PHYSICS FOR SCIENTISTS AND ENGINEERS (with free CD -- yay).

I promise to put some decent books in here soon.

Cheers, Luís

Night Shade Books
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 02:33 am:   

Great stylist, but you know, the plot seemed weak to me. Too many loose ends. And the characterization just didn't seem realistic to me.

Jason

Rhys
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 04:33 am:   

I disagree. Those scientists and engineers came over as real people...

For ages I've been wondering who Luis's photograph at FM reminds me of. I finally got it. Tim Roth!

Luís Rothrigues
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 05:06 am:   

LOL! Well, there's a guy who says I look like a young Charles N. Brown.

At least it doesn't resemble the idiot I usually get in my pictures. It's amazing that, from the entire spectrum of human facial expression, cameras always manage to capture the exact nanosecond when people appear like they've got a mental problem.

Cheers, Luís (Rothrigues?)

Jorge Candeias
Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 03:32 pm:   

That's a known property of photographic media, Luís.

It's a known fact that at the level quantic interactions happen within the camera (be it film or digital - apparently there's no difference between the two, so this must happen somewhere before the light actually hits the photossensitive layer, which is the same to say, it's a photonic effect), something happens to the photons that turn from normal photons into dumb photons and rearrange themselves into new and unsuspecting patterns.

This, of course, only when the object being photographed is a human being. When it's a landscape (urban or rural, no matter), a non rational living creature or a supermodel, the opposite happens: dumb photons change into normal photons and the end result is prettier than the reality.

This is a bit more complicated than this, of course. The actual maths include n-dimensional algebra and some pretty far out differential equations, but you get the picture.

Rhys
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 05:38 am:   

And the other (paranormal) reason is that some men can temporarily be possessed by the wraiths of famous actors -- such as Tim Roth.

The tension in the mind of the photographee between the two identities (old and intrusive) tends to produce a slackening of facial muscles, as the brain diverts all its energy and attention to jeering the actor-spirit out of the auditorium of the mind.

Maybe.

Jorge Candeias
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 03:50 pm:   

Indeed.

A third explanation is biological, or rather evolutionnary. Once upon a time, back when our ancestors were still tree-bouncing apes, Africa became full of estethodons, a particularly ferocious climbing beast that predated on those humans-to-be. Estethodons had two pecularities rather... erm... peculiar. They had a distinctive preference for the pretty ones and, when hunting, they made a sound similar to a "click".

So, evolutionary pressure determined that our species acquired the capacity of instant morphing as soon as a click was heard in the surroundings.

This also explains the faces you make in front of a computer screen. No, it's not the computer: it's the mouse...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration