Announcements Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Duchamp, L. Timmel » Announcements « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 12:27 pm:   

WisCon: I'll be arriving in Madison on Thursday evening & leaving early Monday. My program assignments are: Sat., 10-11:15 a.m. (a panel on authorial gender anent gendered characterization); Sat., 1-2:15 p.m. (when I'll be reading with three others); & Sunday, 1-2:15 p.m. (a panel discussing developments in feminist sf criticism since Joanna Russ invented it in 1971). Oh, & I've got a very short piece about Carol Emswhiller's fiction appearing in the WisCon Souvenir Book.

Asimov's/Scifi.com chat on SF & Feminism: I'll be joining Gardner Dozois, John Kessel, Barbara Hambly, & Lynn Flewelling on Thursday, June 12, at 9 p.m. Eastern time.

New publications: Two new essays of mine are just appearing. "The Cliche from Outerspace: Reports of a Death Greatly Exaggerated" can be found in the newest issue of _Extrapolation_. (Copies will be available at WisCon.) My latest column for _Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet_ , "What's the Story? Reading Deena Metzger's _The Woman Who Slept with Men to Take the War Out of Them_ " will soon be out in Issue 12. (Gavin G. usually offers the new issue for sale at WisCon.) Likely a couple of other nonfiction pieces will appear later in the summer, as well as some fiction. I'll announce these later, when appropriate.

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 01:32 pm:   

I've posted "Carol Emshwiller: An Appreciation," which appeared in the WisCon 27 Souvenir Book, on my website.

<http://ltimmel.home.mindspring.com>

Timmi

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 11:56 am:   

The date of the Asimov's Online Chat on "Feminism in Science Fiction" has been changed to Tuesday, June 10. It will begin at 9 p.m. (US) Eastern Time, at scifi.com.

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 08:50 pm:   

Having returned from my vacation on Hawa`ii's Big Island, I find myself dreaming every night of the brilliant reef in the bay where Captain Cook's drama unfolded. I snorkeled there last week, & swimming with its many flamboyant fishes made such a vivid impression on me that even now I can fairly "see" the reef & its denizens whenever I close my eyes.

My "announcement" is this: an essay of mine, a review of Camille Bacon-Smith's _Science Fiction Culture_, is now appearing in the new issue of _ParaDoxa_, a special issue on Fifties Fiction edited by Josh Lukin & Samuel R. Delany. Check out the TOC at ParaDoxa's website: <http://www.paradoxa.com/>.

Timmi

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 01:25 pm:   

I'm back now from Sycamore Hill & am again accessible via email. For most of Saturday I felt a bit like the Miller's Daughter (only without a Rumpelstiltskin on hand to help me out), since on arriving home I found a mountain of signature sheets for the Thackery Lambshead Guide awaiting my attention. On top of that, Seattle was under assault of a heat wave. Music often helps one through the tedium of performing manual labor so I tried first this CD & then that. Of all the different music I listened to while signing, Mozart offered the most helpful beat. Go figure.

Today's announcement: "What's the Story? Viewing Carr/O'Keeffe/Kahlo" (my Ladychurchill's column from #11) has been posted on my website <http://ltimmel.home.mindspring.com>

Timmi

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 02:34 pm:   

Those of you who have read my unexpectedly controversial essay "The Cliche from Outerspace: Reflections on Reports of a Death Greatly Exaggerated" published in the WisCon issue of _Extrapolation_ (Spring, 2003) may be interested to know that the new issue of that journal offers twenty-three pages of commentary from Gary K. Wolfe, myself, Josh Lukin, Jeanne Gomoll, Debbie Notkin, Jeff VanderMeer, Laurie J. Marks, Farah Mendelsohn, & Candas Jane Dorsey. A large portion of the commentary consists of Gary K. Wolfe's objections to my analysis of his suggestion that it is time to "retire" the feminist sf label to "the agenda farm" & my own rejoinder to his comments. I would like, however, to warn anyone interested in reading these letters of comment that when the journal signed my name to my comments, they misspelled it. Do not, whatever you do, assume that their spelling must be the correct one because it is placed beneath my own comments. It is an error--- & one that I would hate to see repeated elsewhere.

Timmi

Josh Lukin
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 09:33 pm:   

Timmi,

If necessary, I shall write to all and sundry to make sure that they know there's only one "e" in your surname --no, waitaminnit, that's a different radical sf writer . . . I know! I will be vindictive on your behalf and spell the first name of Extrapolation's editor with an "X"!

Do the controversialists indeed appear in the order you list them? Shame on the editors for giving your opponents the last word, and for putting my own rant first after yours, which will give the impression that your defenders are meshuggeh.

--Josh

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 04:58 pm:   

A new story of mine is just now appearing in Tales of the Unanticipated (Number 24), titled "Negative Event at Wardell Station, Planet Arriga." It's set in the fictional universe of two of my unpublished novels, a far-future galaxy dominated by the Council for Strategic Development. (Yes, Virginia, there were feminists writing leftist space opera years before the (mainly British) guys started publishing it...) The issue in which my story appears can be purchased by mail for $10 (checks payable to TOTU INK) from Tales of the Unanticipated, PO Box 8036, Lake Street Station, Minneapolis MN 55408. Other contributors to the issue (128 pp in length) include Eleanor Arnason, Mark Rich, Uncle River, Laurel Winter.

Timmi

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 01:01 pm:   

Argh. "CDS" obviously can't stand for "Council for Strategic Development." That should have been "Council for Developmental Strategy." Sorry about that.

Today's New York Times has an article about a brand new company called "New Bridge Strategies."

`At a time when the administration seeks Congressional approval for $20.3 billion to rebuild Iraq, part of an $87 billion package for military and other spending in Iraq and Afghanistan, the company's Web site, www.newbridgestrategies.com, says, "The opportunities evolving in Iraq today are of such an unprecedented nature and scope that no other existing firm has the necessary skills and experience to be effective both in Washington, D.C., and on the ground in Iraq."

`The site calls attention to the links between the company's directors and the two Bush administrations by noting, for example, that Mr. Allbaugh, the chairman, was "chief of staff to then-Gov. Bush of Texas and was the national campaign manager for the Bush-Cheney 2000 presidential campaign." '

According to the Times, the company's website also says that the company was "created specifically with the aim of assisting clients to evaluate and take advantage of business opportunities in the Middle East following the conclusion of the U.S.-led war in Iraq."

Timmi

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 04:47 pm:   

I've posted a new essay on my web site: "What's the Story? Reading Deena Metzger's The Woman Who Slept with Men to Take the War Out of Them." This is a reprint of my Lady Churchill's column for the May, 2003 issue.

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 06:44 pm:   

I'll be making three appearances in the next couple of months, all of them in Washington State:

--as a Pro Guest at Rustycon (Jan 16-18): (1) moderating a panel titled "Unmentionable Female Stuff," which will explore the question of whether there's a place for the female-specific aspects of a woman's life in the portrayal of strong women characters (Sat., 3-4 p.m.) & (2) participating in a panel "Writing and Publishing Short SF," which will consider the role of the short story in SF (Sun. 10-11 a.m.)

-- giving a lecture at the 2004 Write on the Beach writer's Conference at Ocean Shores, WA., titled "What's the Story? Things Writers Need to Know about Reading" (Jan 23-25)

-- as a Senior Instructor in the Taste of Clarion Workshop at Potlatch (Feb-27-29), which will be held this year in Seattle

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 03:00 pm:   

I've posted my NYRSF review of Zoe Landale's The Rain Is Full of Ghosts on my website.

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 01:43 pm:   

During the Nebula Weekend, on Saturday, April 17, at 11 a.m., I'll be appearing on a panel with Eileen Gunn, Ellen Datlow, and Patrick Swenson, titled "For love or money? Webzines and Small Press."

At noon on Sunday, April 18, I'll be reading, with Kage Baker, from the Lambshead Anthology at the Elliott Bay Book Company.

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 09:29 pm:   

Also: I'll be participating in the mass-signing on Friday of the Nebula weekend (i.e., this Friday) being held from 5:30 -7:30 p.m. at Barnes & Noble (Pacific Place, just a few blocks east of the Westin Hotel). Barnes & Noble will have copies of Love's Body, Dancing in Time available for purchase.

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 05:22 pm:   

Aqueduct Press will be jointly hosting a party with Tachyon Press at WisCon on Friday night to launch two books-- Leslie What's novel, Olympic Games and my collection Love's Body, Dancing in Time. I can safely promise that this party will be like no other. Leslie will be offering customized photo shoots, in which party-goers may choose to have their pictures taken with Zeus, Hera (primary characters in Leslie's novel), Abelard, or Heloise (primary characters in my collection), with either a classical Greek (for Zeus or Hera) or medieval monastic setting (for Abelard or Heloise). The photo will then be attractively packaged as a keepsake by Nina Hoffman. But that is not all! Ellen Klages has put her inimitable talent for design into collaboration with Eileen Gunn's flair for advertising copy to produce party favors that (feminist sf) collectors everywhere will long to get their hands on & will--- I have not the slightest doubt--- treasure forever. & as if that were not enough, we will also be holding a drawing for two beautiful necklaces (of Leslie's creation), directly inspired by necklaces to be found in the books being launched.

Needless to say, we will also provide the usual refreshments (in addition to tasty Olympian comestibles).

I will be reading from Love's Body on Saturday, from 2:30-3:45 p.m. in Conference Room 2, with Leslie What, Nisi Shawl, & Pat Murphy.

I'll also be participating in the Sign-Out on Monday at 11:30 a.m., where I'll be happy to autograph copies of my book.

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 01:16 pm:   

A new essay of mine appears in the latest WisCon issue of Extrapolation (Vol45, No.1). I haven't yet received my contributor (or subscriber's) copies yet, but I saw copies of the issue at Dream Haven's table in the Dealer's Room at WisCon, & I autographed copies of it at WisCon's Sign Out on Monday. The title of the essay is "Old Pictures: The Discursive Instability of Feminist SF." Please don't anyone be scared off by the word "discursive" in the title. If you can read my posts to the threads on my Night Shade board, you'll have no trouble reading the essay.

Timmi

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:45 pm:   

Aqueduct Press has posted a photo (by Nina K. Hoffman) of the Aqueduct/Tachyon Book Launch Party held at WisCon <http://www.aqueductpress.com>. In the photo you can see Leslie What, Eileen Gunn, & myself being blessed by Hermes & Hera. Let us hope that their blessing does us (& our respective books) some good.

Timmi

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 04:53 pm:   

Two new items: (1) I'll be teaching at Clarion West in Summer 2005; & (2) An interview of me by Josh Lukin has just been posted at Fantastic Metropolis <http://www.fantasticmetropolis.com/show.html?iw.duchamp>.

Timmi

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 06:22 pm:   

Here are a few announcements:

(1)I'll be reading this Sunday, January 23, at the Clarion West General Meeting. This is open to the public & will be held at the North East Branch of the Seattle Public Library (6801 35th Ave. NE), at 3 p.m.

(2) I'll be reading with Molly Gloss at the Science Fiction Museum (in Seattle) on the evening of Feb. 22.

(3) This is old news, but I haven't yet announced it here: a collection of four of my essays has been published by Aqueduct Press. It's called The Grand Conversation & is available at Aqueduct's website <http://www.aqueductpress.com> & a few bookstores (Wrigley-Cross, Borderlands, Mysterious Galaxy, Third Place Books, & University Bookstore).

(4) My "read & appreciated in 2004" essay has been posted at Fantastic Metropolis.

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 04:57 pm:   

The weekend is almost upon us & I see I've forgotten to mention events I'll be participating in.

(1) Norwescon: I'll be reading Friday at 6 p.m.-- if, that is, even one person shows up. (Given that it's scheduled for the dinner hour, I have my doubts.) & if I read, I'll read from my forthcoming novel, Alanya to Alanya. (For more about the novel, see today's Agony Column by Rick Kleffel, or Aqueduct's forthcoming books page, or both.) I'll then be attending the Philip K. Dick Awards ceremony-- because an Aqueduct book is on the ballot (i.e., Gwyneth Jones's Life). I've been scheduled for a panel at 9 p.m. titled "The Language of F/SF." I'm told that the awards ceremony will be over by then. I'll be participating in two other panels at Norwescon: "The Future of Short Fiction" on Saturday at 6 p.m. (another dinner hour engagement) & "Writing Essentials 102" on Sunday at 11 a.m.

(2) I'll be reading with Jeff VanderMeer on Sunday afternoon at 3 p.m. at the Elliott Bay Book Company. I'd originally planned to read from Alanya to Alanya, but since Elliott Bay's publicity has been saying I'll be reading from Love's Body, Dancing in Time, I've decided to read, instead, "Lord Enoch's Revels," which is the shortest story I've ever published & is indeed to be found in Love's Body. For those unfamiliar with the story: it's about an orgy. & I will in fact read the entire story. (I mention this because at a reading I did in January a member of the audience remarked that I always leave my audience in suspense. (& as anyone reading this likely knows, I'm mildly allergic to generalizations.)

Timmi

Josh
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 11:25 am:   

"Lord Enoch's Revels"? WHAT WILL WE TELL THE CHILDREN?
I hope you can get away with it: Greg Klyma was banned from Borders for singing a song containing the word "sadomasochist." Not that Elliott Bay itself would have a problem, but in a time when we regularly see comic dealers arrested for selling adult comics to adults, there's always a risk that someone will try to raise a rookus over your reading the work "fucking" so many times in public.

Oh hey, let me publicly say "Right-the-fuck-on!" to you for having published the PKD award winner.

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 05:14 pm:   

I previously read "Lord Enoch's Revels," Josh, at a Barnes & Noble store. (In Eugene.) No problem there (except that the experience of hearing me read it seemed to leave everyone feeling a little melancholy afterwards...) (Though how else can one feel, the morning after an orgy?) Yesterday, at my reading at Norwescon, I read the first part of Ch 2 in Alanya to Alanya (which I'd previously read at the SF Museum in February) & found it a good deal more difficult (in terms of offensive language or imagery) than "Lord Enoch's Revels." The latter, after all, uses the word "fucking" to signify sexual acts, whereas in the scene I read from Alanya, which involves a nasty altercation, expletives (not, alas, limited to "fucking") are hurled about in an atmosphere of psychological (verging on physical) violence, rendering the word aggressively ugly rather than descriptive. It belatedly occurs to me that since there's a lot of psychological violence in Alanya, I may find it a difficult work to read from.

As for Gwyneth's win: I'm blissful.

Timmi

Nancy Jane
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 01:22 pm:   

I must say (as someone in the audience), no one seemed shocked at "Lord Enoch" -- perhaps it's the sophistication of the Elliott Bay crowd or perhaps it's that Timmi's language in that story is so elegant and sophisticated that people didn't realize how erotic the content was until later.

And hip hip hooray for Aqueduct and Gwyneth.

Nancy

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 01:15 pm:   

Although it won't be available through bookstores until early June, my first novel, Alanya to Alanya, is available now through Aqueduct's website. Here's some advance praise for it:

"The coupling of real thoughtfulness and rip-roaring excitement is as rare in science fiction as in any other genre. But here, in Alanya to Alanya, they're locked together in the most exciting-and certainly the most intelligent!-tale of alien invasion I've read in decades. Because it is believable, it's fascinating. And, in the years that have seen Margaret Thatcher go and Hillary Clinton and Condoleeza Rice arrive, Kay Zeldin is an extraordinarily effective portrait of a political hero."
Samuel R. Delany, author of Dhalgren

"Kay Zeldin, chief protagonist in Alanya to Alanya from L. Timmel Duchamp, is an accomplished historian and strategic genius with a seriously flawed memory. No innocent victim, Kay takes some convincing that her interests lie with the feminists who are being scapegoated by a repressive administration running scared from alien intervention. Alanya to Alanya is astute on the compromises made by the relatively powerful that allow them to swallow the insults and casual oppression they suffer from those who wield unquestionable authority. It is also convincing on the degree of insult required to raise the consciousness of the privileged and the extent to which logical political alliances are enabled and undermined by interpersonal attractions and grudges. The irony of a historian protagonist whose problematic and limited access to her own past memories impairs her judgment about how to go forward is an effective metaphor for revisionist histories of feminism."
Dr. Joan Haran, author of Re-visioning Feminist Futures

"L. Timmel Duchamp's SF vision Alanya to Alanya, the first novel of the Marq'ssan Cycle, is both an exciting tale of extraterrestrials, espionage, and revolution, and an intriguing meditation on contemporary politics (sexual and global)."
Jeffrey Ford, author of Portrait of Mrs. Charbuque

Aqueduct plans to post the first chapter on its website soon.

Timmi

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 10:44 pm:   

Okay, here it is: the link for Ch. 1 of Alanya to Alanya, for anyone wanting a taste of the novel:

http://aqueductpress.com/alanya-ch1.pdf

Timmi

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 10:46 pm:   

Two announcements:

(1) A story of mine, "Memory Work," is in the Oct/Nov issue of Asimov's SF, which is now available.

(2) My short novel, The Red Rose Rages (Bleeding) will be out in October from Aqueduct Press as Vol. 10 in the Conversation Pieces series.

Here's a description:

quote:

Sarah Minnivitch, an actor sentenced to prison for acts of civil disobedience, wreaked havoc at the for-profit medium-security facility she was first sent to. When Penco transfers her to a high-security facility, the facility's director assigns Dr. Eve Escher the task of rehabilitating Minnivitch and recovering the corporation's losses. Escher believes she is on the verge of a scientific breakthrough that will not only rehabilitate the prisoner but also win the doctor fame and glory. But the stakes for both Escher and Minnivitch prove to be higher than either of them realize...

It will be available for $9 from Aqueduct (via paypal or mail order) at <www.aqueductpress.com> & a few bookstores.

Timmi

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   

The Red Rose Rages (Bleeding) is at last out and available. You can find a description & brief quote from it on Aqueduct's <www.aqueductpress.com> Current Publications page. Also, I've just posted on my own website an essay with seven lengthy hyperlinks about writing it: "The Prick of Political Imagination: on Writing The Red Rose Rages (Bleeding) <http://ltimmel.home.mindspring.com>.

Timmi

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration