Old Pictures Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Duchamp, L. Timmel » Old Pictures « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 11:09 pm:   

Timmi: Read your essay in the latest edition of Extrapolation. Very interesting all throughout, clear and engaging, but I was most taken by the effect you got from blending autobiography and criticism, sort of reflecting the ideas of the piece in its structure, turning the (It) into a definite somebody. Didn't know this stuff could be so entertaining and moving. Congratulations!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 06:32 pm:   

Thanks, Jeff. I know that a lot of critics have taken to blending memoir into their criticism, but the writing of this essay felt particularly experimental to me. As you've probably realized, I chose to use memoir because it offered me a way in to a damned slippery subject (viz., the constant change in cultural meanings, expectations, & language & how such change necessarily affects the way we read)-- though I must admit that in the process of writing it my understanding of a number of things about the world of my childhood was also modified. (Revaluation must, I imagine, be a typical feature of writing autobiography, but I didn't expect it. I suppose this might simply be the price one pays for using one's personal history for intellectual ends.)

Congratulations to you, too, by the way, for your interview in the new issue of Locus!

Timmi

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration