Chesley! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Picacio, John » Chesley! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 09:06 am:   

Congrats, John!!

Coppervale
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 11:28 am:   

Couldn't let the event pass without mention - the award, especially for that particular cover, was absolutely well-deserved.

James

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 11:43 am:   

Double-congrats!

StephenB
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 12:13 pm:   

Ditto with the rest, John!

Richard Parks
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 11:58 am:   

On a roll!

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 02:29 pm:   

A major award for you was just a matter of time, John, given the consistently high quality of your work. Down here in New Orleans this past weekend we held the Third Annual George Alec Effinger Memorial Reading to celebrate the release of George Alec Effinger Live! From Planet Earth. The event was very well attended, and Tom and Judith at Octavia Books sold lots of copies, including one to me. Your cover for that book is a real marvel; George would be extremely pleased. Congratulations on your well-deserved recognition!

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 06:22 am:   

Hugos are nice (and phallic) and all, but Chesley's come from folks who actually know art. Kudos on some very well deserved peer recognition.

I look forward to buying you an extremely large and deep celebratory drink (or five) at 'dillocon.

John Picacio
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 11:17 am:   

Thanks everyone!!!! I appreciate it so much!!!

I just got home late last night from Worldcon/Europe and I largely wasn't able to check email until then. So apologies for my tardiness here. What an amazing trip out there in Glasgow and London.

Boy -- I'm so proud of that Chesley. It meant a lot to get that. That was a stacked category with great works by Patrick Arrasmith, Gregory Brides, Kenn Brown, Kinuko Craft, and John Jude Palencar, and to be in the company of greats like that, was very gratifying.

So yeah -- I pretty much could have flown home on joy alone after winning that night. As most of you know, two nights later, I didn't win the Hugo for Best Professional Artist and the great Jim Burns captured his third Hugo. Afterwards, a few folks asked me if I was disappointed about the Hugo results, and my honest response was "How in the world can I be disappointed?!? I'm a Chesley winner!!!!" :-)

Huge congrats to Jim again for his third much-deserved Hugo in a Hall-of-Fame, 33-year career, and I was very grateful and honored to be a part of the Hugo finalists for the first time and I hope to be back again.

Thanks to everyone who made these things possible.

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 09:06 pm:   

hey, congrats, man.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 09:43 am:   

John, I'll see you later this week at Armadillocon. Looking forward to it (although I'm NOT looking forward to the drive from New Orleans).

John Picacio
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 01:52 pm:   

Ben -- Thanks very, very much! Hopefully we meet sometime soon. You gonna be at WFC in Madison, by any chance?

Andy! See you soon. It'll be good to see you again. Be safe on the roads. I foresee good times when you get to Austin. Traci will be joining us on Saturday. Sorry your family can't make it, but it'll be good fun, for sure.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 07:05 am:   

John,
Congratulations!

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 11:07 am:   

Indeed, let me echo that.

Jetse
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 03:43 am:   

Congrats, too John (I forgot to do so at WorldCon)...

*Hides behind a large potted plant*

KeithB
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 04:22 am:   

Yes, more congrats, John - well done! And good to see you in Glasgow.

John Picacio
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 09:05 pm:   

Thanks, everyone. I sure appreciate it!

Andrew Fox
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 07:01 am:   

Dear John,

It was terrific seeing you at ArmadilloCon last weekend. Tell Tracy I'm sorry I missed her. And thanks so much again for the meal; I owe you one! I hope it won't be another year until we see each other again, but if it is, I'll make good on my debt at World Fantasy in Austin. It was also fun getting to see a few of your original pieces in the art show. I hope your drive back to San Antonio was a good one; from what I saw in west Louisiana, BAD weather was heading your way.

John Picacio
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 08:19 am:   

Hey there, Andy --

Apologies for my tardy reply. It's been busy over here. It was terrific to see you in Austin. I just left you a message on your board because I'm really worried about you over there in New Orleans with Katrina barrelling down.

Hang in there, man. Hope you're safely out of harms way. Let us know how you're doing!

Best,
John

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration