This just in..... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Picacio, John » This just in..... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Picacio
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 02:07 pm:   

Cool news. I just found out that two of my illustrations made the forthcoming SPECTRUM 11: THE BEST IN CONTEMPORARY FANTASTIC ART.

In the Book category, the cover illustration for MonkeyBrain Books' best-selling HEROES & MONSTERS: THE UNOFFICIAL COMPANION TO THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN made it.

http://www.monkeybrainbooks.com/Heroes_and_Monsters_Cover.html

And the double-page spread that I did for TEXAS PARKS & WILDLIFE MAGAZINE (which later became the back cover of the Neil Gaiman audio CD) also made it in the
Editorial Category. It's called "A Texas Childhood" simply because that was the name of the article.

You can find that illustration in the "Gallery" section of my website (click on the "Editorial" button when you get there...it's a greenish illo with a little boy's face at the bottom).

http://www.johnpicacio.com/index2.html

Joe DeVito, Gary Gianni, John Jude Palencar, Greg Spalenka, Roxana Villa,
and Georg Brewer (design director of DC Comics) were the judges. The book
should come out around October.

Richard Parks
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 04:53 pm:   

Very cool, John. Congratulations!

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:10 pm:   

John: Congratulations. I love those Spectrum collections. And these two images they've chosen are wonderful. Another one of my favorites from last year was the cover for Rick Klaw's Geek Confidential and the one for Landsdale's collection (I think it was) with the apples and the snake. Great stuff all around.

John Picacio
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 06:18 pm:   

Hey, Jeff --

Thanks, man! I appreciate that! It's funny -- I found out late last week that I made the book, but only found out this morning which pieces were selected. I'm thrilled to be in there, but I admit that I kinda thought the Lansdale/BUMPER CROP cover would've been one of the picks. But you don't hear me complaining! I'm happy to have two in the book!

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 08:04 pm:   

Excellent news, John. Congratulations on a well deserved honor!

Matthew Rossi
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 03:24 am:   

Excellent. Although to be honest I like my cover better than the Heroes and Monsters cover... I am, however, biased.

Lou Anders
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 07:27 am:   

Congratulations, John?
This isn't your first time in Spectrum either, is it?

Irene Gallo
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 10:56 am:   

Hey John,

I always find SPCETRUM the highlight of all the art annuals. Congratulations for getting in!

Irene

John Picacio
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:40 pm:   

Thanks, Irene! Much appreciated! And congrats on you and David Bowers teaming up for a Gold in the Book category. I noticed that...yet another Gallo art direction victory....you've got so many art direction victories that I bet you start to lose count after a while! :-)

Hey, Lou -- To answer your question, I've been in four out of the last five SPECTRUM Annuals....but it's certainly not something I take for granted because it's a tough book to crack. I'm happy that two of mine made it this year.

John Picacio
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:42 pm:   

Josh and Matt --

Thanks for the love. Much appreciated. And Matt, I don't hold it against you that you dig your cover above all others....I'm just grateful that my cover makes you happy. It's a terrific book.

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:15 pm:   

1) Congrats John. Way cool. I always lurk around Irene's office when she gets the new Spectrum so I can leaf through and drool.

2) WELCOME IRENE!!! It's great to see you here at Night Shade.

John Picacio
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:32 am:   

Thanks, Jim!

Sara Felix
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 07:27 pm:   

Congrats on the Spectrum thing! I just stumbled upon this board, and now I can keep up with you.

Irene Gallo
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 04:31 pm:   

Hey John,

Thanks for the kudos on the Bowers painting!

Like you, I never take getting into SPECTRUM for granted. I was lucky enough to be one of the jurors a couple of years ago -- I know the competition is tough. And it seems to get tougher each year.

And speaking of SPECTRUM, some cool news: The Fenners and I are working on a "Best of Spectrum" exhibit at the Society of Illustrators. It's a year and a half off (September 2005) and all the details have to be worked out but...I know it will be red hot! You might want to think about another trip up north when the time comes.

Are you going to Wold Con this year?

Irene

John Picacio
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 06:27 am:   

Hey there, Irene!

Just got back from World Horror Con late last night.....a good time....the Art Show was solid...I think the overall con was a solid success.

RE: The "Best of Spectrum" exhibit at the Society of Illustrators....it sounds like an incredible show!! I would definitely take a trip to NYC for that. You're a mad genius for putting this together!

As far as World Con in Boston, I'll definitely be there....I need to send in my Art Show applications this week....I've already got my hotel reservations....very much looking forward to it since I missed last year in Toronto....

I've already committed to World Con, ArmadilloCon, and World Fantasy this year.

Hope you're doing well over there and much thanks for the comp copies of I'LL BE WATCHING YOU. They arrived here while I was at WHC so I just got 'em.

Have a good week!

John Picacio
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 06:30 am:   

Hey, Sara --

Thanks very much! I just got back from WHC so I'll have more update stuff soon. Today's kind of a crazy day as I scramble to catch up.

Maybe we can touch base later this week and you can let me know how your latest efforts went while I was out-of-town. Looking forward to it.

Arnie
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 09:13 pm:   

Hey John,

I just got my copy of the new Lansdale collection from Golden Gryphon. As is usual with your work, it's a real gem!

Also, if you don't start doing prints on some of these things, I'm going to have to start ordering spare dustjackets from Marty so I can frame them... you've quickly become one of my favorite artists, and certainly my favorite artist in the small press field!

Arnie

John Picacio
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 10:10 am:   

Hey there, Arnie --

Thanks for the kind words.

I actually just got back from World Horror Con and was selling matted limited edition prints of several covers, including BUMPER CROP. Matt Schwartz (of Shocklines) and I are talking about distributing prints of my work on his website. Right now, the only one that's available widely is the limited edition print of HEROES & MONSTERS: THE UNOFFICIAL COMPANION TO THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN.

If you're interested in all of this, email me and I can give you more info (john@johnpicacio.com).

Like you said, I do a lot of work for the small presses, but believe it or not, I do a lot for the big cats as well. Here are a few recent ones.

GATEWAY by Frederik Pohl (forthcoming, Random House/Del Rey) trade paperback

A WALK ON THE DARKSIDE, edited by John Pelan (forthcoming, Penguin/Roc Books) mass market paperback

LIVE WITHOUT A NET, edited by Lou Anders (Penguin/Roc Books) trade paperback

SINGING THE DOGSTAR BLUES by Allison Goodman (Viking Children's Books) young adult hardcover

BEGGARS IN SPAIN by Nancy Kress (forthcoming, Harper Collins/Eos) trade paperback

DANTE'S EQUATION by Jane Jensen (Random House/Del Rey) trade paperback

LEGEND by David Gemmell (Random House/Del Rey) mass market paperback

In addition, there's an oversized arts magazine called INTERNATIONAL STUDIO that is currently on the stands at most Barnes & Nobles. It contains the second of a four-part focus on my work. In the current issue, there's a six-page feature, and the full BUMPER CROP illo is included amongst those. You might check that out the next time you're at a B&N.

Anyway.....that's just FYI stuff for you....I appreciate your kind words very much and I'm glad you dig the work. I'll keep it coming.

Best,
John

mike bishop
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 04:30 am:   

Don't know if this is the right thread to use for this comment, but wanted to tell you how much I like your wraparound cover for the forthcoming collection of George Alec Effinger stories, from Golden Gryphon. Marty Halpern sent me a link this morning, and I enjoyed watching your triptych take shape (slowly -- my system's fault) in full color. All the best.

John Picacio
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 07:47 am:   

Hey, Mike --

Thanks a lot. That's really nice of you.

The book has such a WIDE range of storytelling content in it....it was a real challenge to do a cover for a single-author collection with that kind of range, but in the end, I feel really good about it, and I'm glad that Marty and Gary at GGP are happy with the work.

Hope all's well over there where you are. Thanks again, Mike.

mike
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 12:30 pm:   

My pleasure. I've admired many of your covers for a long time now, but from a distance -- I'm glad to have my name (as an introducer) on the back of the Effinger collection. Anyway, keep producing lovely work.

John Picacio
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 12:51 pm:   

I just found out that I've been shortlisted for the 2004 British Fantasy Awards in the Best Artist Category. Pretty cool!! I didn't even know this until a few minutes ago. Deadline for votes is August 1, 2004.

Some pretty decent company amongst that shortlist as well.....Donato Giancola, John Jude Palencar, Gary Gianni, Brom, Bob Eggleton, and more.

As is almost expected these days, Lucius Shepard and Jeff Ford score multiple well-deserved nominations for some of their best 2003 works as well. And the hosts of this board are also prominent in the nominations list.....the Night Shade crew and Mr. Vandermeer for THE DISEASE GUIDE.....

Props to Lou Anders as well. His short stint at ARGOSY MAGAZINE got a nod in the Small Press Category and with him building the new sf imprint Pyr, it'll be exciting to see what he does in 2005.

Anyway, congrats to all.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 01:18 pm:   

Hey, JP, conga rats!!!

EDatlow
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 01:23 pm:   

Congrats, John! If I recall correctly my anthology, THE DARK is up too.

John Picacio
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 01:56 pm:   

Hey, Lucius -- Thanks, man. Congrats again. The L-Train just keeps on rolling!!!

John Picacio
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 02:02 pm:   

Hi, Ellen --

Congrats to you too! You're nominated TWICE. You're in the Best Anthology Category for both THE DARK and THE YEAR'S BEST FANTASY AND HORROR (SIXTEENTH ANNUAL). Impressive!

What a brutal heavyweight slugfest in that category! There's yourself with two nominations, the aforementioned Jeff Vandermeer, Robert Silverberg, and Stephen Jones (also nominated twice) all in there with you, as well as others. Wow....that's a really, really brutal category this year. :-)

EDatlow
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 02:39 pm:   

John, Yup. It's always a pretty strong category. It's unlikely either of books will win though as neither is published in the UK.

EDatlow
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 03:25 pm:   

I just checked out the whole list and the short fiction list is humoungus!

John Picacio
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 04:28 pm:   

Yeah, Ellen, you're right. That's a logjam over there in the Short Fiction Category. A vicious list of suspects. Shepard (THREE TIMES NOMINATED IN THE SAME CATEGORY!! Amazing.), Jeff Ford's amazing "Empire of Ice Cream, Michael Marshall Smith (twice), Glen Hirshberg (twice), Joyce Carol Oates, Ramsey Campbell, and more......wow.

I noticed you've got a story from THE DARK in there as well from Mike O' Driscoll.

That's a tough list.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 04:42 pm:   

where is this list? I haven't seen it...

John Picacio
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 05:18 pm:   

Check it out, Lucius.

Here's the link.

http://www.britishfantasysociety.org.uk/info/vote2002.htm

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 05:30 pm:   

Wow, them's a buncha stories...! Thanks, John...

Richard Parks
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 07:11 pm:   

Congratulations! Well deserved.

EDatlow
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 08:35 pm:   

More than one story from The Dark--"Dancing Men" by Glen Hirshberg as well as the O'Driscoll. I've contacted the BFS as THE DARK is supposed to get first publication credit for the Hirshberg.

John Picacio
Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 11:04 am:   

Thanks a lot, Richard. Hirshberg's on a nice little roll, isn't he, Ellen? We'll see how that all turns out.

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 08:02 pm:   

John: Congratulations! Your work is always startling and fresh. And the nomination is much deserved.

Lou Anders
Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 08:30 pm:   

Yes, congratulations!
Now maybe it's time to update the news on your website!

John Picacio
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 07:44 am:   

Hey, Jeff --

Thanks very much. Belated congrats on your cover story in LOCUS. Too good, man!!!

John Picacio
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 07:48 am:   

Hey, Lou --

Congrats to you too for your BFA nomination.

There's been so much new artwork in recent months that I could pretty much just drop a bomb on my current website and start fresh and have a whole new website of new stuff with no reference to any of the old. Not that I would, but that's how much new stuff I've done since that last update.

My point is -- there's been so much work in recent months that I just keep postponing the update because of all of the cover work. Too busy having fun with all of these cover illustrations and making sure everything gets done on time.

I've got an idea. Maybe I'll be late on your cover to your forthcoming PROJECTIONS book and take an extended break and go re-do my website? How does that sound? Does that sound good to you? No? :-)

Well, alright then....I guess I'll get to it when I can then. :-)

Jonathan
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 03:53 am:   

Hey John - Just saw the cover you did for the new George Alec Effinger book over here (http://www.goldengryphon.com/gaelive-wraparound.html), and it kicks butt. Very, very cool. You're doing some very fine work at the moment. Can't wait to see what's next.

Jonathan

John Picacio
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 07:28 pm:   

Hey there, Jonathan --

Thanks very much for the love. Much appreciated. Believe me -- there's a lot more where that came from.....it's been a busy 2004 so far. Lots of fun. Lots of covers. I'll hopefully be making time to update my site soon with all of this new work.

When I do, I'll definitely post here.

Hope all's well over there!

Bruce
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 06:48 am:   

Jonathan: 'Can't wait to see what's next.'

What's next is the brilliant new art for Lucius Shepard's 'Viator'; just saw it at the Shepard website. Way cool, Mr. Picacio...keep them coming!

John Picacio
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 01:42 pm:   

Hey there, Bruce --

I didn't know that the cover was already up on Lucius' website, until I read your note above. So there you have it.....I think right now that's the only place on the Internet that that cover art has made an appearance.

By the way, thanks for the kind word, regarding the cover art! In my opinion, I think this one may be one of Lucius' very best recent works....and when you consider the great work he's done of late, that's saying a lot!!

Jonathan
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:31 pm:   

Hey John - Very cool cover. Reminds of a little of a tropical/jungle version of the cover you did for Graham Joyce's Stormwatcher. Great work, and can't wait to read the story - J

John Picacio
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:45 pm:   

Hey there, Jonathan --

Thanks very much. When I was getting ready to do the cover, Lucius was still laboring hard on the book...so only the first 100 pages or so were available for me to read, but those first 100 pages might have been some of the best stuff I've read all year, bar none. So I can't wait to read the rest of the book once it's out, just like everyone else out there.

Can't wait!!

Hope you're well over there.

Jonathan
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:16 pm:   

Yup. All's well here. Be seeing you in Boston, so we can grab a drink with Lou and the gang.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration