NBA December 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Picacio, John » NBA December 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Picacio
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 07:47 pm:   

I think I'll start bracketing any NBA discussion on this board by month.....so that Lucius and I and anyone else who's interested don't have to keep putting thoughts under the "pre-season" thread.

As is obvious to anyone remotely following this board and the NBA, the Lakers are clearly the dominant team in the league right now. Although my world champion Spurs are having a rough start, they're right around the same win total as they were at this same time last year when they won the NBA Championship. And they're mirroring the same start they had when they won their first Championship a few years back. As I've stated before to Lucius, if this were March or April, I'd be worried if they were performing this poorly, but it's December and we've got a long season to go.

I'm surprised to see how tough the Rockets are right now. Van Gundy is doing a good job with them and they'll be a factor before the year is done, I think. And I don't know what to think of the Nuggets. I can't imagine that they'll keep performing this well for an 82-game season, but undoubtedly Carmelo has a team of talent around him and they're gelling much sooner than people originally thought.

I think the Memphis Grizzlies are the surprise of the season so far. Who would have thought that Jason Williams and Hubie "The CryptKeeper" Brown would actually get along and prosper? The Midwest is amazingly tough right now.....San Antonio currently is in last place with an 11-10 record....every team in the Midwest has a winning record! Pretty amazing.

Right now, Spurs haters should savor seeing the Spurs in last place because I don't think they'll be there for very long....they'll be in the thick of the championship hunt when it's all said and done....

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 07:56 pm:   

I'm not a Spurs hater. Boston, I hate. Sacramento, I kinda hate. The Spurs have never aroused my passions. That said, it's cool you're not worried, but they don't look sound to me. Neither do the Lakers, really. Kobe's just rounding into shape. Malone and Peyton haven't mastered the offense. They'll be a lot better come June. :-)

I'm surprised by the Griz, but not so much by the Noogies. I somehow thought the East would show a little stronger this year, but no. Orlando, despite beating the Spurs recently, is a real disappointment.

John Picacio
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 08:23 pm:   

Hey there, Lucius --

You're right-on that the Spurs are not sound right now, especially on defense which is where they've won their championships. So if the Spurs' defense looks like this in April, they're in a world of ca-ca. But I have confidence it won't. :-)

And waitaminute -- the Spurs beat the Magic recently....albeit not impressively....it was a 10 or 11 point win for the Spurs and Duncan had 47 points....maybe you're thinking of someone else?

I hate that the Lakers and Spurs have already played three of their four regular season games already and it's only the second week in December. That was really stupid on the league's part. So now we wait until April 4th to get a real look at the matchup when both teams are better gelled. Like I said, a lot of basketball between now and then....so much can happen....should be a titanic battle in the West this year....

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 08:37 pm:   

Hmmm...maybe I caught the Magic-Spur score wrong.

The schedule bites, for sure, but that's what we got.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration